Code of Conduct

Let's Dance

Default Re: Lubin Itasca, Hermes Rocabar, and...........?

Perhaps Fou d'Absinthe?

Itasca's pretty unique to me, and I need to revisit Rocabar but don't see a lot of similarities between that and Itasca.
    Currently wearing: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Bon Zai is somewhat like Itasca especially with the pine, vetiver and berries. Don't know if you have tried it. Nevertheless, I personally like Itasca better.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Perhaps Fou d'Absinthe?

Itasca's pretty unique to me, and I need to revisit Rocabar but don't see a lot of similarities between that and Itasca.
    Fou d'Absinthe - hmmm, hasn't been on my radar. Just afraid the star anise and wormwood may steer this one away from the light fresh green balsam fir arena, and turn too dark, but I'll check it out. The rest of the notes sound promising. Thanks for this suggestion.

Yes, Itasca is unique. What I find "similar" between it and Rocabar is the light green balsam fir, other woody notes, and a bit of benzoin or other incense and resin notes that stay low key and do not overtake the fresh aspects of these two fragrances. I suppose Clive Christian L for Men is kinda there, but much thicker and heavier (I love it, though). Overall both Itasca and Rocabar are not super loud, but they last a long time and project quietly but nicely. They are both so nice I don't really care for the low projection, I enjoy wearing these for myself. When I wear L it feels like I'm wearing it for the whole group of people around me, it does have much bigger presence.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bon Zai is somewhat like Itasca especially with the pine, vetiver and berries.
    Never even heard of it, but thanks for that suggestion - I'll see if I can ifnd it.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

I just recently got to sniff Rocabar and first thing it reminded me of (in the dry down) is Guerlain Heritage EDT.

Sort of grasping at straws, but maybe Esencia Loewe? No vanilla or sweetness at all, but very piney/woody.

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Fou d'Absinthe - hmmm, hasn't been on my radar. Just afraid the star anise and wormwood may steer this one away from the light fresh green balsam fir arena, and turn too dark, but I'll check it out. The rest of the notes sound promising. Thanks for this suggestion.

Yes, Itasca is unique. What I find "similar" between it and Rocabar is the light green balsam fir, other woody notes, and a bit of benzoin or other incense and resin notes that stay low key and do not overtake the fresh aspects of these two fragrances. I suppose Clive Christian L for Men is kinda there, but much thicker and heavier (I love it, though). Overall both Itasca and Rocabar are not super loud, but they last a long time and project quietly but nicely. They are both so nice I don't really care for the low projection, I enjoy wearing these for myself. When I wear L it feels like I'm wearing it for the whole group of people around me, it does have much bigger presence.
    I've tried it a few times in different stores, it's a fresh-green pine, balsam fir scent (emphasis on pine) with a bit of resins, I don't remember star anise being too prominent. It was not loud but rather discreet (bit more discreet than Itasca), something along the lines of an office scent. Not experimental or novel, unlike several other L'Artisan perfumes. Bloomingdale's should have it.

Let's Dance

I'm wearing Wazamba from a sample this morning, and interestingly this is in the same category of green (fir balsam, cypress) with resins, myrrh and incense - except that this is way more towards the 'incensy'-resinous side of things on the spectrum.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I just recently got to sniff Rocabar and first thing it reminded me of (in the dry down) is Guerlain Heritage EDT.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Sort of grasping at straws, but maybe Esencia Loewe? No vanilla or sweetness at all, but very piney/woody.
    Heritage is beautiful and I love its drydown, but do not find it as green as I'd hope for. Esencia Loewe - truthfully, I haven't reached for it in years so I may have to pull it out and give it another try. My memory just tells me it was way darker and heavier (could be wrong - really don't remember it well).

I'm wearing Wazamba from a sample this morning, and interestingly this is in the same category of green (fir balsam, cypress) with resins, myrrh and incense - except that this is way more towards the 'incensy'-resinous side of things on the spectrum.
    That's what I'm afraid of - reviews put it in line with La Liturgie des Heures - which I already own and is not in the same direction. Not looking for incensy, liturgical scent - more light green, balsam fir, green pine, balsamic, light woods, with a tiny hint of sweetness. Not as fresh-light and airy as L'Eau Boisée, something with a little bit of backbone to it, but not heavy woods or incense.

Let's Dance

That's what I'm afraid of - reviews put it in line with La Liturgie des Heures - which I already own and is not in the same direction. Not looking for incensy, liturgical scent - more light green, balsam fir, green pine, balsamic, light woods, with a tiny hint of sweetness. Not as fresh-light and airy as L'Eau Boisée, something with a little bit of backbone to it, but not heavy woods or incense.
    Exactly (I posted the comment on Wazamba as a 'side note', not as recommendation ...), but I assure you that Fou d'Absinthe is firmly in the fresh-green camp. Definitely worth a try given what you're looking for.

I own both Itasca and Rocabar, but I listed my Fou d'Absinthe on eBay after a day of owning it. It smells like a flavoured vodka.

I don't think it's in the same category and definitely wouldn't be a safe blind buy.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A Lab On Fire's Carlos Benaïm scent LiquidNight always struck me as extremely woody in the same way as those two scents. Worth a sample. The note pyramid and descriptions never quite reflected what I smell.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

...I assure you that Fou d'Absinthe is firmly in the fresh-green camp.
    I agree. It smelled it for the first time just a few months ago (got a decant), and it was totally not what I was expecting. Just like Remik, I was expecting something darker, greener, more bitter. It's green with some sparkling angelica nuances, but also soft, easygoing and approachable. Pretty. I'm not sure it fits with Itasca and Rocabar (much softer than either), but worth trying.

I like the idea of Escencia Loewe.

I'll have to mull it over longer. Feel like there's an obvious one I'm not thinking of.

Edit:
    Bottega Veneta Pour Homme? Seems to tick many of your boxes, and it's decidedly piney/fir green with a modern/smooth undertone. Rather formal.

Or further on the warm/spicy/oriental side of Rocabar's personality, maybe Aramis JHL? I can't say it smells "green" per se, but fir with a (very) resinous backbone, yes definitely.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

+1 Fou d'Absinthe.. First thing I thought of. They're not really similar smelling, but same vibe, green, earthy, and unique. Guess I really need to try Rocabar now, since Itasca is one of my all time favorites.

Also the entire Bottega Veneta Homme line is worth checking out. I have the Extreme version, but smell wise I like the original better, it just doesn't perform well on me.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephan Hawking

I love Hermes Rocabar
    ...finally understand this gas mask...!

????? Rocabar.....? One of the softest and most gentle, polite, super office-safe fragrances out there? It's... the opposite of what the gas mask would be for. Not sure I understand your comment.
    ...tastes differ: I find it a stinker... (**)

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I had Rocabar in my collection for over 10 years before I began wearing it. It was a gift from an aunt. At first, I thought it smelled really strong and "old". Now that my nose has experienced so much more since then, it just seems like a soft, polite, woody affair, and I wonder how I could ever have found it so horrifying. It's so passive.

Itasca was a blind buy for me. It has the same metallic orange note, albeit much fainter, that's present in L'Anarchiste. I struggle with this note and wearing L'Anarchiste is a bad memory.

I've revisited Itasca a few times and there's a lot I like about it, I just wish I'd purchased it before L'Anarchiste so there was no bad association.

Remik, maybe try Aer by Angela Ciampagna?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I had Rocabar in my collection for over 10 years before I began wearing it. It was a gift from an aunt. At first, I thought it smelled really strong and "old". Now that my nose has experienced so much more since then, it just seems like a soft, polite, woody affair, and I wonder how I could ever have found it so horrifying. It's so passive.
    I had a very similar evolution with Rocabar. Early on, I found it very rich and nearly cloying, though attractive. It wasn’t something I could see myself pulling off at the time. I smelled it for the first time in years at a counter the other week, and was shocked at how easygoing and soft it seemed. Whether it was me or a reform, I’m not sure!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I liked Rocabar (original square bottle) from first sniff and find John Varvatos Vintage to be a similar fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

but I assure you that Fou d'Absinthe is firmly in the fresh-green camp. Definitely worth a try given what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I agree. It smelled it for the first time just a few months ago (got a decant), and it was totally not what I was expecting. Just like Remik, I was expecting something darker, greener, more bitter. It's green with some sparkling angelica nuances, but also soft, easygoing and approachable. Pretty. I'm not sure it fits with Itasca and Rocabar (much softer than either), but worth trying.
    OK, you convinced me :-) I'll check this one out as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    A Lab On Fire's Carlos Benaïm scent LiquidNight always struck me as extremely woody in the same way as those two scents. Worth a sample. The note pyramid and descriptions never quite reflected what I smell.
    Interesting. I've tried a bunch of ALOF fragrances, but not LiquidNight. Adding it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    I like the idea of Escencia Loewe.

Edit: Bottega Veneta Pour Homme? Seems to tick many of your boxes, and it's decidedly piney/fir green with a modern/smooth undertone. Rather formal.

Or further on the warm/spicy/oriental side of Rocabar's personality, maybe Aramis JHL? I can't say it smells "green" per se, but fir with a (very) resinous backbone, yes definitely.
    Esencia Loewe - I do have a bottle already, will have to dig it out and try again. I do not recall it being light and bright, more dark green (like the bottle) but I haven't smelled it in a few years so perhaps my recollection is off.

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme - have this one already (original, not Extreme). Like it, but don't love it. It's a little more sharp, whereas Itasca/Rocabar are both like a warm fuzzy blanket (Itasca more so).

Aramis JHL - no go. I've bought a bunch of Aramis fragrances over the years and none of them appeal to me. They are much like the house of Caron to me. I can see how some people may like them, but to me tey have no soul, nothing that makes my heart skip a beat. Tastes differ, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I'll allow that! :-) But only because it's true. The "tastes differ" part, that is, not that it's a stinker. LOL

But honestly, perhaps revisit Rocabar at some point. It is a super-light and transparent, cozy scent, so soft and polite, it's like it's barely there. It's like a thin wool blanket - which kind of explains the original/vintage bottle packaging where they used to wrap it in a piece of wool. It is the opposite of anything strong, stinky, challenging, difficult to wear. Perhaps you smelled something different, perhaps Bel Ami - that although awesome, I can see how it can be difficult for "some" people to wrap their noses around...?

Even by today's standards where verything new is super-soft, light, inoffensive, discrete and beige, Rocabar can be entirely lost in the sea of these unassuming fragrances. Which is why I can't see this one as a challenging fragrance in any way at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I had a very similar evolution with Rocabar. Early on, I found it very rich and nearly cloying, though attractive. It wasn’t something I could see myself pulling off at the time. I smelled it for the first time in years at a counter the other week, and was shocked at how easygoing and soft it seemed. Whether it was me or a reform, I’m not sure!
    Exactly. It's like smelling a clean soft wool blanket.. or a light wool sweater. It clicked with me on first try, years ago. I was at a Hermes boutique and just going through everything in store (I knew most of their fragrances by then) but have never tried Rocabar, always assuming it was an old-man scent. Sprayed in the air, not even on skin, and bought it on the spot. It's so young, fresh, clean, and modern... couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended
    Itasca was a blind buy for me. It has the same metallic orange note, albeit much fainter, that's present in L'Anarchiste. I struggle with this note and wearing L'Anarchiste is a bad memory.

I've revisited Itasca a few times and there's a lot I like about it, I just wish I'd purchased it before L'Anarchiste so there was no bad association.
    Oy, sorry to hear that. My experience was with Itasca first, and L'Anarchiste much later. I hated L'Anarchiste so much that literally I sprayed it on (it was a blind buy, the copper bottle), and within minutes posted it on BN in the free giveway thread. I do not get any metallic notes in Itasca. Maybe if I tried L'Anarchiste again... but no, no way, my brain won't let me get that stinker ever again. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended
    Remik, maybe try Aer by Angela Ciampagna?
    Interesting comments/reviews on this one. Thanks, I'll add it to my list.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Rocabar is nice from what I remember. Every time I see the name, all I can think of is Rocawear, then FUBU, then Fila, then Salt n Peppa, then that Mr. Vain song and being driven to the roller rink by someone's mom in a boxy beige Chrysler minivan. I could never own a bottle that is so mean to me.
    Currently wearing: Casual Friday by Escada

Going out on a limb... how about Dasein Winter Nights? It’s not in the directory.

I’m wearing its sibling Winter today, and I’d describe as a sparkly-smooth and very natural, easygoing evergreen scent with a lightly powdered lavender backdrop - most green, though. It could also be a conservation here. Love it, and it’s super easy to wear.

The “Night” version adds some smoky-sweet resinous spice (cardamom) to the mix. Might not be exactly what you’re after (a lot more piney than either of your references), but worth a try nonetheless. Both are very well done. It was a close call for me between the versions after sampling.

Possibly also: Noble Vetiver by Chopard, Eau de Vetyver by L'Occitane, Lanvin Vetyver, La Martina Hombre among others
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara