Code of Conduct

Default Tried Ruh Khus (Essence of Vetiver) by Ajmal

So I bought Ruh Khus - Essence of Vetiver - oil by Ajmal, on Ebay and imported from India.

Ajmal Ruh al-Khus attar.jpg

I'm a huge fan of vetiver and own a few vetiver fragrances ranging from the soliflores like Malizia Uomo Vetyver to the complex vetiver creations like Encre Noire by Lalique. I think I know pretty well how vetiver smells, whether it's rooty, earthy variety (i.e. in Encre Noire) or the green leaf kind (i.e. in Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne).

I was hoping that Ajmal's ruh khus vetiver would smell like cool grasslands. Ruh Khus is an apparently top-grade vetiver oil that has been used by Indians for centuries, and old basenotes threads reveal that Ajmal's offering is the best variety of ruh khus (with a naturally deep green liquid).

However what I smelled was absolutely disappointing. It has an intense PEANUT aroma to it. It literally smells like peanut oil. I put the tiniest of dabs on my wrist and I just couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. This is one of the only fragrances I've ever actually scrubbed due to how bad they were.

Now I am wondering what went wrong. Is it supposed to smell like peanut oil? Where is the green grassy scent I expected? Should I simply let it age? Or should I go for ruh khus by White Lotus Aromatics, or simply a Haitian vetiver oil instead (which I thought was supposed to be inferior to ruh khus)? I did read on a few basenotes threads that some khus oil can end up smelling like peanuts.

Anyone who knows about this, please advise.

Default Re: Tried Ruh Khus (Essence of Vetiver) by Ajmal

If you wanted green grassy than ruh khus is not the thing you should go for. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd8Vlir5wW0 in the first 6:30 minutes Nikhil explains in details what ruh khus actually is and how it is supposed to smell like. As for more green grassy vetivers I let someone more experienced comment about this (maybe try in DIY subforum).

Quote Originally Posted by sobejjj View Post
    If you wanted green grassy than ruh khus is not the thing you should go for. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd8Vlir5wW0 in the first 6:30 minutes Nikhil explains in details what ruh khus actually is and how it is supposed to smell like. As for more green grassy vetivers I let someone more experienced comment about this (maybe try in DIY subforum).
    ah...i see

IMO if you're into citrusy green oils, you might be better off trying some Hojary-grade pure frankincense attar...