Code of Conduct

Default Question about Ruh Khus (Essence of Vetiver) oil by Ajmal

So I bought Ruh Khus - Essence of Vetiver - oil by Ajmal, on Ebay and imported from India.

Ajmal Ruh al-Khus attar.jpg

I'm a huge fan of vetiver and own a few vetiver fragrances ranging from the soliflores like Malizia Uomo Vetyver to the complex vetiver creations like Encre Noire by Lalique. I think I know pretty well how vetiver smells, whether it's rooty, earthy variety (i.e. in Encre Noire) or the green leaf kind (i.e. in Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne).

I was hoping that Ajmal's ruh khus vetiver would smell like cool grasslands. Ruh Khus is an apparently top-grade vetiver oil that has been used by Indians for centuries, and old basenotes threads reveal that Ajmal's offering is the best variety of ruh khus (with a naturally deep green liquid).

However what I smelled was absolutely disappointing. It has an intense PEANUT aroma to it. It literally smells like peanut oil. I put the tiniest of dabs on my wrist and I just couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. This is one of the only fragrances I've ever actually scrubbed due to how bad they were.

Now I am wondering what went wrong. Is it supposed to smell like peanut oil? Where is the green grassy scent I expected? Should I simply let it age? Or should I go for ruh khus by White Lotus Aromatics, or simply a Haitian vetiver oil instead (which I thought was supposed to be inferior to ruh khus)? I did read on a few basenotes threads that some khus oil can end up smelling like peanuts.

Anyone who knows about this, please advise.

Default Re: Question about Ruh Khus (Essence of Vetiver) oil by Ajmal

And if anyone can recommend a green grassy fragrance oil or attar that would be appreciated as well

Basenotes Plus

Vetiver is a root. The green grassy notes are not found in the roots. Those notes are also fairly short lived as well. I think you are looking for the wrong thing...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Junkie

I'm agree with Paul, and vetiver oil, normally, have a typical scent of peanuts,also.....

Quote Originally Posted by seeroos.syed View Post
    So I bought Ruh Khus - Essence of Vetiver - oil by Ajmal, on Ebay and imported from India.

Ajmal Ruh al-Khus attar.jpg

I'm a huge fan of vetiver and own a few vetiver fragrances ranging from the soliflores like Malizia Uomo Vetyver to the complex vetiver creations like Encre Noire by Lalique. I think I know pretty well how vetiver smells, whether it's rooty, earthy variety (i.e. in Encre Noire) or the green leaf kind (i.e. in Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne).

I was hoping that Ajmal's ruh khus vetiver would smell like cool grasslands. Ruh Khus is an apparently top-grade vetiver oil that has been used by Indians for centuries, and old basenotes threads reveal that Ajmal's offering is the best variety of ruh khus (with a naturally deep green liquid).

However what I smelled was absolutely disappointing. It has an intense PEANUT aroma to it. It literally smells like peanut oil. I put the tiniest of dabs on my wrist and I just couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. This is one of the only fragrances I've ever actually scrubbed due to how bad they were.

Now I am wondering what went wrong. Is it supposed to smell like peanut oil? Where is the green grassy scent I expected? Should I simply let it age? Or should I go for ruh khus by White Lotus Aromatics, or simply a Haitian vetiver oil instead (which I thought was supposed to be inferior to ruh khus)? I did read on a few basenotes threads that some khus oil can end up smelling like peanuts.

Anyone who knows about this, please advise.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5052204...op_home_feat_2

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Oh, and BTW, the vetiver in Encre Noire, is just a fantasy note. There is not really real vetiver in it...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

ah...so it's supposed to smell like peanuts. if only I knew this before buying lol sigh.

Basenotes Junkie

Not only peanuts....to my nose, vetiver bourbon oil on skin, dilute at 5/10%, have nuance of licorice and earthy roots,also, very good.....

ah...so it's supposed to smell like peanuts. if only I knew this before buying lol sigh.
    buy some vetiver EO (it's cheap) to know how it smells. i was also surprised that it's pretty different (better) from the vetiver image, that i had in my head.

I have three different brands of vetiver EO. One in particular does have a quite nutty aroma, the other two do not.
    They all have that vetiver smell but they are each quite different. One nutty, one smokey and one quite citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Punkle View Post
    I have three different brands of vetiver EO. One in particular does have a quite nutty aroma, the other two do not.
    They all have that vetiver smell but they are each quite different. One nutty, one smokey and one quite citrus.
    which brands are those? I am interested in the smokey and citrus ones.

which brands are those? I am interested in the smokey and citrus ones.
    All bought in the UK...

Nutty - Naissance
    https://www.enaissance.co.uk/vetiver...l-pure-quality

Smokey - Calmer Solutions
    https://www.calmer-solutions.com/vet...iver-470-p.asp

Citrus - Neals Yard
    https://www.nealsyardremedies.com/ar...oils/2155.html

I like all three and like I say they are all different in their own way.
    I've previously blended one drop of each just as an experiment and the result was quite perfect.
    I don't really use them though. I bought them as I was curious to see how they would mature over time along with some patchouli EOs....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439...i-and-Vetiver)