Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    I wore my sample of Mysterious Oud today I received with my luckyscent order. From the sample dipstick it smelled odd and I didn’t think that I was going to like it. Turns out I was wrong.

In the opening the orange really popped on my skin. It was peppery and the cardamom was pretty prominent. Really enjoyed the juicy orange.

I started picking up myrrh, which was surprising so early on in the wear. I got a light touch of watery pink rose and a more substantial note of jasmine. There was a bit of fruitiness, which I’m guessing was the Thai Oud. I think I was picking up a little medicinal floral note from the lotus.

The Vietnamese Oud became the main attraction for a good while...nice and resinous. The tonka and vanilla started to show up as the Viet Oud was trading places with the Hindi Oud. For a while it smelled a lot like L’Heure Exquise (which I love). Finally, the Hindi Oud took over with the castoreum and labdanum forming a nice and sweet, leathery, amber finish.

The complexity and Oudiness was really impressive and I would love to have a bottle of this one. Very reasonable at $195 for 30ml considering the quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes this one is a sleeper, it took a bit to like but it is one of the best oud perfumes there is

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valier View Post
    Yes this one is a sleeper, it took a bit to like but it is one of the best oud perfumes there is
    I agree with that also!

Quote Originally Posted by Valier View Post
    Yeah, it didn’t seem to get the best critical reception...maybe it just needed some time to macerate a little longer before the magic really started happening.

All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Yeah, it didn’t seem to get the best critical reception...maybe it just needed some time to macerate a little longer before the magic really started happening.

So in the first series were do you place it with Coup de Foudre & Bonheur

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    So in the first series were do you place it with Coup de Foudre & Bonheur
    All three are excellent, but I would place Bonheur first, Mysterious Oud second, and Coup third. I can’t lie, I did miss a bit of animalics with Coup that was in the other two.

All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

All three are excellent, but I would place Bonheur first, Mysterious Oud second, and Coup third. I can’t lie, I did miss a bit of animalics with Coup that was in the other two.

Great nice to know. Bonheur seems to be the consensus pick from the first series after the dust has settled. Good to know Mysterious Oud has captivated some on here like it has. I had written it off before so I will have to sample it since it is still available in some outlets.

Basenotes Institution

Amber Cologne surprised me. VERY floral fragrance, after the 'cologne' top notes. I am okay with floral colognes...I wear the hell out of them. But these are intensely, nectary, deep florals. I was sort of surprised by this combination and it's taking me a bit to see if I like it or not. Stay tuned for a more detailed and full review.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Amber Cologne surprised me. VERY floral fragrance, after the 'cologne' top notes. I am okay with floral colognes...I wear the hell out of them. But these are intensely, nectary, deep florals. I was sort of surprised by this combination and it's taking me a bit to see if I like it or not. Stay tuned for a more detailed and full review.
    Just received a sample of this one myself. As a floral lover, I’m looking forward to giving it a wear on skin. Also looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

I dont really like florals at all,

But i am really loving my sample of amber cologne

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboi View Post
    Mike have you tried musk khabib? I wore it last night and I noticed a familiar “salty” note and looked it up and realized it has ambergris listed. It’s almost dream like with the heavy dose of musk and flowers. Very beautiful!
    I wore it today - yes the ambergris is there, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I am not sure I smelled it though until long into the drydown after the HUGE ylang ylang note faded. I wore it today for the 1st time. Need more time with this one - it's not instant love.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I like this guy. Lol.

Guess I'm glad by blind buy didn't work out!

I wore Amber Cologne today and I concur with other folks that this one is floral dominant.

For me, it’s extremely evocative of a day at the beach...citrusy cocktails, warm-bodies glistening with floral tanning lotions, wooden boardwalk, and mist from crashing waves.

I can still smell it pretty well at ten hours, so it’s no slouch on performance for me.

Overall...loved it.

I wore Amber Cologne today and I concur with other folks that this one is floral dominant.

For me, it’s extremely evocative of a day at the beach...citrusy cocktails, warm-bodies glistening with floral tanning lotions, wooden boardwalk, and mist from crashing waves.

I can still smell it pretty well at ten hours, so it’s no slouch on performance for me.

Overall...loved it.

Sounds delightful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Overall...loved it.

I wore it the other day and get the same vibe. I'm not a big fan of florals but this is blended so well that I don't mind them here.

Did anyone try Oud Monarch? I've heard comparisons with Russian Oud and Ambre Loup, does anyone get that?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post

Did anyone try Oud Monarch? I've heard comparisons with Russian Oud and Ambre Loup, does anyone get that?
    I own all three and I would say they share a similar vibe. Due to shared notes as oud, tobacco, labdanum etc. Ambre Loup doesn't have chocolate note, RO and OM do have. However, OM additionally has the florals going. I'd say ambre loup's main focus is still amber, RO oud, chocolate and castoreum and OM florals, brief chocolate, oud, castoreum and vanilla... They all feel quite cozy to me but definitely don't smell the same.

Basenotes Institution

I bought a decant of Oud Monarch and haven't worn it yet. I didn't know it was chocolate-y...interesting.

I also own a decant of Russian Oud. I must admit I don't wear it a lot in Summer...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I bought a decant of Oud Monarch and haven't worn it yet. I didn't know it was chocolate-y...interesting.

I also own a decant of Russian Oud. I must admit I don't wear it a lot in Summer...
    I don’t get chocolate from Oud Monarch yet, perhaps I need to wear it a few more times...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    I own all three and I would say they share a similar vibe. Due to shared notes as oud, tobacco, labdanum etc. Ambre Loup doesn't have chocolate note, RO and OM do have. However, OM additionally has the florals going. I'd say ambre loup's main focus is still amber, RO oud, chocolate and castoreum and OM florals, brief chocolate, oud, castoreum and vanilla... They all feel quite cozy to me but definitely don't smell the same.
    I just ordered a sample of Oud Monarch so I'm going to try all three at the same time and see what happens!

Oud Monarch is quickly becoming a favorite each time I wear it. Oud Maximus seemed unbeatable until I have been wearing Monarch more lately. What I will say they are both exceptional in their own right. I even have backtracked on Bonheur since first impressions. Dmitry has been impressive in his scents and the evolving nature each one provokes when worn.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing L'Heure Exquise today for the first time from my decant.

Really liking this. Thank goodness the cacao is restrained and very earthy - not too sweet. The florals are very much prominent but kept in check with the oud and that wonderful ambergris we have come to love from Bortnikof and Areej le Dore.

I really like it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wearing L'Heure Exquise today for the first time from my decant.

Really liking this. Thank goodness the cacao is restrained and very earthy - not too sweet. The florals are very much prominent but kept in check with the oud and that wonderful ambergris we have come to love from Bortnikof and Areej le Dore.

I really like it.
    Very nice review.

I was initially a bit worried about Oud Monarch with the whole Oud/Rose thing; however, it seems the Rose isn’t a major player. This is giving me some good hope that it will be something I enjoy.

I think ambergris is something that Bortnikoff has really mastered between Bonheur and Vetiver Nocturne. Both have an incredibly good ambergris aspect.

Finally, got my sample of Oud Monarch. I think it is very different from Russian Oud, much more floral and balanced compared to the darkness and sensuality of Russian Oud. It is more similar to Oud Maximus, but the rose is less and it has the added tobacco and vanilla. It is a very interesting blend and definitely on a par with Oud Maximus. They are both great choices for a natural oud fragrance but have their own nuances.

I find the chocolate-caramel aspect of oud in Oud Monarch, as well as its overall sweetness, fairly reminiscent of those elements in Russia Oud, although I agree that Russian Oud is much more resinous overall. And after a few subsquent wearings and comparing it to Oud Maximus, I think these two indeed feel quite parallel to each other regarding overall structure, kind of like swapping the rose and animalic musk in one to the yellow and white florals in the other.
    Currently wearing: Agartha by April Aromatics

Basenotes Plus

Revisiting Vetiver Nocturne today and I must say I love it more and more. It is an absolutely awesome masterpiece. It takes 3 or 4 wearings to really get, IMHO.

Still in my mind Vetiver Nocturne is the benchmark Bortnikoff fragrance. Sad to see that now Lucky Scent no longer lists it. Totally captivated by it each and every wearing.
    Oud Monarch & Maximus just close behind in enjoyment for me.

Waiting on Amber Cologne as a blind buy it has been sitting not moving since 5/11. Seems like the Thai post isn't very reliable at all. DHL will be the way to go in future for me.

After a few more wears of Oud Monarch, I can say that I definitely prefer Oud Maximus over it. I'm not a big fan of florals and they seem to be dominant notes in all of Bortnikoff's fragrances. It would be nice if they released something that does not contain jasmine or frangipani.

Basenotes Plus

After a few more wears of Oud Monarch, I can say that I definitely prefer Oud Maximus over it. I'm not a big fan of florals and they seem to be dominant notes in all of Bortnikoff's fragrances. It would be nice if they released something that does not contain jasmine or frangipani.
    interesting. I was finding my Oud Maximus slightly too barnyard. I will have to revisit it and see how I can grow to love it again.

I’m sorry to hear that; he really does focus on florals, which is something I’m sure some folks have a hard time with. At least Oud Maximus spoke to you!

I love his florals and would welcome more, but personally hope he goes back to making 30ml bottles. I will never get through 50ml of anything at this point and could use the price break of a 30ml lol.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12