Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Finally have Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib samples on the way. Really stoked to try them. Bortnikoff hasn’t made a fragrance yet that I didn’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    Finally have Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib samples on the way. Really stoked to try them. Bortnikoff hasn’t made a fragrance yet that I didn’t like.

I actually had ordered both plus Amber Cologne and it's still in a holding pattern since 5/10. Dmitry said he will resend soon. Absence makes the heart grow fonder or so they say. Dying to try Amber cologne. Lucky I got a couple of decants of Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib from Mister Strifenot to tied me over for awhile until my fated package arrives.
    Currently wearing: Montabaco by Ormonde Jayne

I recently tried April Aromatics Tempted Muse. Interestingly, it reminds me of the minty, almost medicinal ylang and fresh spicy cardamom in Musk Khabib and the vanilla tropical floral dry down of Amber Cologne, but slightly more refined in texture. I think it might be interesting for fans of these two Bortnikoff to give it a try as well.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

Basenotes Plus

Thanks Stella! i have a sample of that. Intriguing and i love experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I recently tried April Aromatics Tempted Muse. Interestingly, it reminds me of the minty, almost medicinal ylang and fresh spicy cardamom in Musk Khabib and the vanilla tropical floral dry down of Amber Cologne, but slightly more refined in texture. I think it might be interesting for fans of these two Bortnikoff to give it a try as well.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

I'm particularly interested in Musk Khabib, since this is my first time trying real deer musk. Problem is, I don't know which note is deer musk...

It start with a mouth watering sour cheese, or greek yogurt kind of sour creamy note; then it blend in sweet dry fruit —— even more mouth watering.

Something peppery/minty/camphor-ed appears on the edge and getting more noticeable, then we enter a sour-sweet, slightly rancid, slightly mentholated floral stage. (ylang?)

At the drying down, camphor/mint edge was gone, I'm left with a .... what can I say.... opaque, bread-like tone, even mixed with a hint of, eh, coal gas. Angelique Encense once left me the ambery, "bread-like" impression too, but Angelique Encense is puffy, carefree, but Musk Khabib is solid, almost stale.

So....I still don't know what deer musk smell like.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    I'm particularly interested in Musk Khabib, since this is my first time trying real deer musk. Problem is, I don't know which note is deer musk...

It start with a mouth watering sour cheese, or greek yogurt kind of sour creamy note; then it blend in sweet dry fruit —— even more mouth watering.

Something peppery/minty/camphor-ed appears on the edge and getting more noticeable, then we enter a sour-sweet, slightly rancid, slightly mentholated floral stage. (ylang?)

At the drying down, camphor/mint edge was gone, I'm left with a .... what can I say.... opaque, bread-like tone, even mixed with a hint of, eh, coal gas. Angelique Encense once left me the ambery, "bread-like" impression too, but Angelique Encense is puffy, carefree, but Musk Khabib is solid, almost stale.

So....I still don't know what deer musk smell like.
    Personally speaking, I find the deer musk hard to discern in Musk Khabib. It does add a certain sweet musky feeling to the ylang-vetiver-spice combination, but it's only perceptible to me when I compare it to other similar ylang-ylang perfumes.

Among Bortnikoff and Areej offerings currently available on their respective websites, I think Koh-i-Noor is the most representative of the suave, sometimes even a bit claustrophobically sweet, honeyed musky, as well as the slightly dog/cat fur-like animalic and subtle leathery characteristics of deer musk tincture that I've encountered thus far. The dry down of Malik Al Taif and Oud Maximus also have this deer musk aspect to my nose, but much more subtle in comparison.

Among other currently available perfumes, I find Kiehl's Original Musk and Marlou L'Animal Sauvage pretty close to the olfactive profile of a few deer musk tincture samples that I smelt thus far. The tincture itself is more subtle than these two perfumes, but regarding that honeyed muskiness and the slightly leathery and furry animalic aspect like the tummy of a cat or dog, I think these two more or less nailed it.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

Personally speaking, I find the deer musk hard to discern in Musk Khabib. It does add a certain sweet musky feeling to the ylang-vetiver-spice combination, but it's only perceptible to me when I compare it to other similar ylang-ylang perfumes.

Among Bortnikoff and Areej offerings currently available on their respective websites, I think Koh-i-Noor is the most representative of the suave, sometimes even a bit claustrophobically sweet, honeyed musky, as well as the slightly dog/cat fur-like animalic and subtle leathery characteristics of deer musk tincture that I've encountered thus far. The dry down of Malik Al Taif and Oud Maximus also have this deer musk aspect to my nose, but much more subtle in comparison.

Among other currently available perfumes, I find Kiehl's Original Musk and Marlou L'Animal Sauvage pretty close to the olfactive profile of a few deer musk tincture samples that I smelt thus far. The tincture itself is more subtle than these two perfumes, but regarding that honeyed muskiness and the slightly leathery and furry animalic aspect like the tummy of a cat or dog, I think these two more or less nailed it.

Wow!!! Thank you! I didn’t know Kiehl’s Original Musk is this good!

Basenotes Institution

I personally cannot smell Kiehl's Musk. Nothing. I smell all of the supporting notes and NO musk. My nose is anosmic to it. However the musk in Musk Khabib (and Siberian Musk for that matter) I can definitely smell!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: L'Arbre by Iunx

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I personally cannot smell Kiehl's Musk. Nothing. I smell all of the supporting notes and NO musk. My nose is anosmic to it. However the musk in Musk Khabib (and Siberian Musk for that matter) I can definitely smell!
    I like Kiehl's quite a bit also. Given my druthers, I'd rather pay $50 for a 50ml of Kiehls than $450 for Muscs Koublai Khan, which is just stupid. Canadian list price.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

As far as I know the musk is botanical, so you are correct

I’ve worn both Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib now. Oud Monarch is great...I love it actually. Musk Khabib is great as well, but it will have to take the bronze behind Amber Cologne taking the silver and Oud Monarch with the gold.

All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Wore Bonheur today for the 1st time. Found it incredibly enjoyable to wear. I'm not ready to write a full review of it yet but some random thoughts:

- There is a spicy, bubble gum element to this that was also present in Coup de Foudre, also from the 1st collection. I mean I was taken aback because my nose zeroed in on it so quickly. Like Bortnikoff-ade. It didn't bother me - I like it. It faded
    - Yep ambergris, the same one I smell in Atlantic Ambergris and Baikal Gris. But...like many have already said...different. I can't describe the difference yet - but I will try to figure it out
    - There's florals in this but the scent doesn't smell 'floral' if that makes sense
    - The middle and base notes are as satisfying as Atlantic Ambergris - which I was hoping for. Yay!
    - Even though I feel like this would smell absolutely fantastic in Winter it actually smelled pretty darn good on a hot Summer day
    - I'm a sucker for anything remotely oriental - this line (and Areej) do them so well. I feel like this is the long lost Middle Eastern cousin of Opium. With ambergris of course.
    Will Bortnikoff ever bring Bonheur back, as Adam does with some of his classics? Or is it the type of thing that is gone once, gone forever and good luck paying $ for a decant? I have a sample that has sat for a minute and now I'm in love.

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Will Bortnikoff ever bring Bonheur back, as Adam does with some of his classics? Or is it the type of thing that is gone once, gone forever and good luck paying $ for a decant? I have a sample that has sat for a minute and now I'm in love.
    No idea. I think the line is so new he hasn't really ventured into re-releases yet. It would be nice though...it's a great scent.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

As I was looking for my summer scent I was stumbling accros Amber Cologne from Bortnikoff and decided to pull a trigger to buy . It was a blind buy

I have my Amber Cologne after ordering it from the man himself. Dmitry. He was very good with his costumer a top notch costumer service ever. And yesterday I have it with me and my good God! This another level, it blend very beautiful from the beginning. You got blast of bergamot, lemon , sweet orange , white and pink grapefruit ,cardamom and frangipani. It is so lively and it got depth that you would not believe. simply stunning..If you are looking for the quality ingredients ..look no further, it is here.

At first spray, the first thing that come to my mind was that this is how asia smell. This is how Bali would smell, You will smell scent charachter this when you are in Bali if I may say so. I was born in asia and I grew up in asia , been to Bali many times and this flower we call Kemboja ( frangipani ) are all over the place. Simply stunningly beautiful and simple and Dmitry able to capture those sense of smell and transforming into this creation

But.......

To my skin it only last 15 minutes and it all gone, fade away just like that and all I can smell just the jasmine ( which is very weak but beautiful ) and once in a while i got this oud and musk. Now this not the funky oud, it is very smooth oud . when you try to sniff and look out for the oud you wont find it. But it will hit you when you are off guard, do not try to find it just let it happen , the oud will come very smooth and than it is gone in a second.This phenomena made me more addicted to this scent. I got mainly the oud, the musk and the jasmine thru the journey. The musk it self is more than a feeling than an actually notes to me. Once in a while you got orange peel punch you in the face very smoothly. not Tauer kind orange punch like Tauer orange star.
    It is has very soft projection and close to the skin which is annoyed me so much because I like this scent very much. I did not get much ambergris which was trigging me to buy this scent at the first place. If you are lookin for a scent that you put away in a cabinet and reach it once in a while to enjoy/ to sniff this scent that it would be great one to have in your collection but if you are looking a scent to be wear daily or occasionaly while expecting the performance to my experiance than it is a big no.

To you guys who owned this, do you also have a performance issue or is it just my skin chemistry do not work with this parfume or is it just my nose getting tired? please help me out .If in case the first two appear than I would swap or sell it while looking for another great summer scent.

Beside that its stil a juwell. Amazing !

Dan great write up. I really love Amber Cologne. Right off the bat the citrus blast is stunning and lasts a good few minutes then the floral aspect kicks in which tames the introduction and the fragrance subdues from there. But I get very good longevity and enjoy this immensely. Perhaps spray a couple more sprays than usual to provide a bit more heft. I wore it to work the other day and I got a good seven to eight hours and reapplied when I got home because it intrigued me so much. I need to wear it more but I am so infatuated in this offering I will get a backup bottle this and Vetiver Nocturne are my favorites from Dmitry so far. He has a flair about his compositions that is very intoxicating it's very hard for me stay away for very long experiencing other houses.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 15th June 2019 at 02:45 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Amber Cologne lasts for a long time for me, although projection drops off quicker than other Bortnikoff scents.

Go heavier on the trigger.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    Amber Cologne lasts for a long time for me, although projection drops off quicker than other Bortnikoff scents.

Go heavier on the trigger.
    Exactly my experience

I get about 6 hours maximum from Amber Cologne with moderate projection. My skin does not usually give good longevity, so someone else might get 8-9.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I’m as smitten as you are with Bonheur. I blame myself for dithering far too long on the Bortnikoffs. Thankfully I still have some Atlantic Ambergris from Areej Le Doré to ease the heartache. They are close cousins in essence. But I’ve been kicking myself for missing out on these for both are unquestionably FBW and only get better with age. Heck, if I were to pick a signature scent unlike anything I and most people have ever smelled, these 2 will be serious contenders.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Personally, I think Bonheur is incredible. Maybe the best thing from Bortnikoff. L’Heure is pretty close, as is Vetiver Nocturne. I would love to see him do another Bonheur in the future, but not immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’m as smitten as you are with Bonheur. I blame myself for dithering far too long on the Bortnikoffs. Thankfully I still have some Atlantic Ambergris from Areej Le Doré to ease the heartache. They are close cousins in essence. But I’ve been kicking myself for missing out on these for both are unquestionably FBW and only get better with age. Heck, if I were to pick a signature scent unlike anything I and most people have ever smelled, these 2 will be serious contenders.
    I discovered both houses late enough to miss Bonheur and Atlantic Ambergris. But I’m glad to have gotten a FB of Baikal Gris and some samples of Bonheur & Coup de Foudre with my decants of Amber Cologne, Musk Khabib, Oud Monarch, Oud Luwak, etc (thanks Strifeknot)

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    Personally, I think Bonheur is incredible. Maybe the best thing from Bortnikoff. L’Heure is pretty close, as is Vetiver Nocturne. I would love to see him do another Bonheur in the future, but not immediately.

I agree. But I love so many from the house Amber Cologne is a real treat and don't forget Oud Maximus. Just a great selections to choose from.

Basenotes Institution

Wore Amber Cologne today, to my office. I like it even more now than the 1st time I wore it.

I struggle with ylang ylang, but this is probably the only scent with a prominent ylang ylang facet (it really does smell like banana) that I enjoy, probably because the floral (including a really good jasmine sambac) is paired with such intense musks, ouds, woods and ambergris.

It's such a fun, 'summer' cologne but it has oomph.

-- Eckhart Tolle

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by Dan76 View Post
    To you guys who owned this, do you also have a performance issue or is it just my skin chemistry do not work with this parfume or is it just my nose getting tired? please help me out
    Amber Cologne disappears faster than the other Bortnikoffs on my skin, but on clothes (which is wear I normally wear my fragrances) it does well. On my last wearing it was blasting all day. The problem with it is that it's so damned floral. Someone told me that I smelled like a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    The problem with it is that it's so damned floral. Someone told me that I smelled like a woman.
    lol, and on that note...

Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Amber Cologne disappears faster than the other Bortnikoffs on my skin, but on clothes (which is wear I normally wear my fragrances) it does well. On my last wearing it was blasting all day. The problem with it is that it's so damned floral. Someone told me that I smelled like a woman.
    You should've just told them to sashay away

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    lol, and on that note...

Sounds pretty amazing.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast