Code of Conduct
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 802
  1. #631
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    36,954

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    JackHunter - glad that you got to try something from this house. I find it fascinating how some of us can easily smell certain musk notes and others are totally anosmic to them. I can smell the musk in Musk Cologne immediately upon application. It doesn't overshadow the florals (or the sandalwood) and really gives it a nice oily, animalic sheen. Nonetheless, it sounds like you're enjoying the scent regardless lol.

    I wanted to also report back on how Zemfira developed yesterday - after that crash landing-rose-top-notes I really enjoyed how it developed. Maybe it's the spice? Or the pepper (although normally I don't enjoy pink pepper notes)? Whatever it was I enjoyed the depth that all of a sudden popped into the air around me, as it dried on my skin. I look forward to wearing Zemfira again. It's not your typical rose/oud combo and for that I am grateful.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  2. #632
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    It may be my imagination, but Amber Cologne has much better longevity than Musk Cologne, do you find that as well?

  3. #633
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    36,954

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    It may be my imagination, but Amber Cologne has much better longevity than Musk Cologne, do you find that as well?
    Yes. Most likely because of the ambergris. It's such an amazing fixative.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  4. #634
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,990

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes. Most likely because of the ambergris. It's such an amazing fixative.
    Genuine musks are supposed to last even longer, especially on fabric. As you pointed out ambergris might be a better fixative. I have never done any A-B longevity testing though technically I could since I happen to have both types of fragrances in my wardrobe.

    As a side rant, YouTubers should pick these types of questions up and do something more to advance the quality of fragrance education on YouTube.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  5. #635

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    JackHunter - glad that you got to try something from this house. I find it fascinating how some of us can easily smell certain musk notes and others are totally anosmic to them. I can smell the musk in Musk Cologne immediately upon application. It doesn't overshadow the florals (or the sandalwood) and really gives it a nice oily, animalic sheen. Nonetheless, it sounds like you're enjoying the scent regardless. lol
    Thanks Mike, I did eventually pick up on some musk in the far drydown after six to seven hours. I think my nose was bewitched by the tropical florals which is what I loved most about the scent. When I read people were saying Bortnikoff was heavy on the florals I imagined it may be in a feminine way. But to my surprise it was in way I could imagine smelling in the air on vacation in Tahiti. Beautiful stuff, and I'm going to have to condition my nose to the muskiness under the florals in future wearings.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  6. #636

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Here's a question. Which Bortnikoff creations are you all most excited for their aged result?
    Bonheur has transformed into what i can only call "Bonheur Extreme" since i first purchased it, and the Bergamot is coming through a LOT more on mysterious oud.

    I think Oud Monarch, L'heure Exquise, Symphone de Nerolie, and Zemfira are going to be absolute delights in 3 years time. Curious as to how the colognes mature as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    It may be my imagination, but Amber Cologne has much better longevity than Musk Cologne, do you find that as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes. Most likely because of the ambergris. It's such an amazing fixative.
    Which is a shame because I do find the Musk Cologne a touch more enjoyable to wear.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove

  7. #637

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    I wonder if it’s an issue of sensitivity in my case but I get a thick almost gummy tang of musk in that first blast of Musk Cologne and it carries through with bigger projection at late middle stages than my Amber Cologne(although I just absolutely love the light citric sparkle of Amber Cologne which I find to be the most surprising Bortnikoff composition— I always figured oud distillers would flourish with the heavier compositions but Bortnikoff does delicate structures beautifully).

  8. #638
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Oud Maximus is already much better. Will be more amazing in another year maybe.

  9. #639
    Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Oud Maximus is already much better. Will be more amazing in another year maybe.
    That would be something because it smells great to me already. Top drawer.
    Currently wearing: Montabaco by Ormonde Jayne

  10. #640

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    So I wanted to re-calibrate my nose on the musk accord for my second wearing of Musk Cologne. Yesterday I applied this musk oil called Ruthvah, it's a combination of deer musk, ambergris and civet. It's very musky and powdery sweet with a slight saltiness with a dark animalic hint in the back ground. It's quite nice and had actually smelled better and smooth than when I purchased it several years ago when it had quite a few rough edges.

    Well this morning I've applied the musk cologne and wow, it's like a totally different experience. I'm getting a boatload of musk on-top of the florals, it's so weird that I totally missed the musk accord on my first wearing. As now it's unmistakable, anosmia is so strange when it happens to you. Anyway it's beautiful scent, and now I've gone from not smelling the musk to not been able to escape. lol..... I do love musk though.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  11. #641
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14,990

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    I should probably revisit Musk Khabib for I wasn’t too impressed when I first sampled it months ago.

    Btw Symfonie de Neroli is the easiest to love straight out of the bottle. A happy-go-lucky kinda scent. I reckon it may not change all that much with longer maceration time. Of the latest trio this IMO is arguably the safest Bortnikoff for a blindbuy.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  12. #642
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    So I wanted to re-calibrate my nose on the musk accord for my second wearing of Musk Cologne. Yesterday I applied this musk oil called Ruthvah, it's a combination of deer musk, ambergris and civet. It's very musky and powdery sweet with a slight saltiness with a dark animalic hint in the back ground. It's quite nice and had actually smelled better and smooth than when I purchased it several years ago when it had quite a few rough edges.

    Well this morning I've applied the musk cologne and wow, it's like a totally different experience. I'm getting a boatload of musk on-top of the florals, it's so weird that I totally missed the musk accord on my first wearing. As now it's unmistakable, anosmia is so strange when it happens to you. Anyway it's beautiful scent, and now I've gone from not smelling the musk to not been able to escape. lol..... I do love musk though.


    Wow...

  13. #643

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Wow...
    I've been amazed by the difference from my first wearing where I just mainly picked up on the citrus and florals. Now I get a rich musk along with a beautiful sandalwood inter-playing with the florals and that citrus tangerine accord. It's a beautiful melange when all of the above are just swirling around in the air when you smell it. I love this musk cologne!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  14. #644
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I've been amazed by the difference from my first wearing where I just mainly picked up on the citrus and florals. Now I get a rich musk along with a beautiful sandalwood inter-playing with the florals and that citrus tangerine accord. It's a beautiful melange when all of the above are just swirling around in the air when you smell it. I love this musk cologne!
    I experience a blur first few wearings. For anything. I want to train my nose.

  15. #645
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    36,954

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Happy to hear it’s transitioned for you JackHunter. I love when that happens to me.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  16. #646

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Happy to hear it’s transitioned for you JackHunter. I love when that happens to me.
    Thanks again Mike. Bortnikoff Europe website are doing a sale where you get 18% off, so as these fragrances are limited editions I have ordered a back up bottle of Musk Cologne. I can just keep it in it's cellophane wrapper for the future, makes it a good investment when these sell out and become unicorn fragrances.

    I got to say I just love this scent with it's tropical flowers fused with citrus goodness. Pheromone natural deer musk to make you irresistible to the ladies (something you don't get with synthetic musk) with the most beautiful quality sandalwood. Ahhhh I could write a book on how good this scent is. lol
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  17. #647
    Super Member SydnorIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Good question posed by Wood & Leather

    Personally, I feel like Winston and L'Heure would benefit the most from some more aging.

    Winston was very close to being a love for me. Symphonie was great all around, but just lacked that "wow" factor. However, I did get that "wow" factor with many aspects of Winston. The cozy tobacco, the herbal green tea, the musky sweet combo of vanilla and ambergris and possibly the most beautiful tuberose note I've ever encountered. As I stated before, the opening was unfortunately a bit rough. I would be willing to bet some more time would smooth that right out and tone down that sour kick.

    L'Heure is an absolute love for me...one of my favorite fragrances of all time. Bright, yet cozy..sweet, but not saccharine...champaca, ambergris, oud, and balsams. It's got damn near everything. My only issue at times is (yet again) the opening. I usually spray fairly light these days now that I am working a different job, but on the weekends I go like five or six sprays. I notice with L'Heure when I "go big" the opening tends to go all wonky. The neroli and bergamot clash for dominance and it ends up smelling kinda odd. It only seems to last for about 20-30 minutes. I think with more time the bergamot will calm down (as citruses tend to do) and play nicer with the neroli. Minor setback...at least for now.

    This question posed by W&L along with my sampling of the most recent three has made me come to a realization. Dmitry is either hit or miss with his openings. His "blend of citruses" are especially incredible. However, it seems in the case of Zemfira, Winston, and (sometimes) L'Heure, something just didn't work as well. Dmitry is experimenting and finding his footing...nothing wrong with that.
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

  18. #648
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Sir Winston is my favourite from the 4th collection. The more I wear it, the more I appreciate it. As above, I think this one will age wonderfully.

  19. #649

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks again Mike. Bortnikoff Europe website are doing a sale where you get 18% off, so as these fragrances are limited editions I have ordered a back up bottle of Musk Cologne. I can just keep it in it's cellophane wrapper for the future, makes it a good investment when these sell out and become unicorn fragrances.

    I got to say I just love this scent with it's tropical flowers fused with citrus goodness. Pheromone natural deer musk to make you irresistible to the ladies (something you don't get with synthetic musk) with the most beautiful quality sandalwood. Ahhhh I could write a book on how good this scent is. lol
    It really is something. Initially I didn't like it as much as Amber Cologne because of the dirtier quality of the musk vs the sparkling quality of the citrus against Ambergris. But wearing again today, I'm struck by how powerful and vivid the Musk Cologne is compared to the Amber.

  20. #650

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    It really is something. Initially I didn't like it as much as Amber Cologne because of the dirtier quality of the musk vs the sparkling quality of the citrus against Ambergris. But wearing again today, I'm struck by how powerful and vivid the Musk Cologne is compared to the Amber.
    It has it all for me as I love citrus, deer musk and sandwood notes and here they are blended beautifully with top quality ingredients. And the exotic smelling floral notes are just the cherry on top of the cake so to speak. In ten years of been seriously into fragrances I've never smelled anything like this. I had the chance to get the Amber cologne but I decided on another bottle of the musk cologne as it's so good. A lot of us at some point have been on a sandalwood quest to obtain the best smelling sandalwood. Well the note in this is better than most sandalwood dominated fragrances, and here it's just a player amongst other beautiful notes.

    Also real deer musk has natural pheromones which just adds to the allure that your wearing a stellar fragrance, especially if worn on a night on the town. lol

    On another note does anyone know how many bottles he produces of each fragrance as they are limited editions. I'm just curious to know.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  21. #651
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    36,954

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks again Mike. Bortnikoff Europe website are doing a sale where you get 18% off, so as these fragrances are limited editions I have ordered a back up bottle of Musk Cologne. I can just keep it in it's cellophane wrapper for the future, makes it a good investment when these sell out and become unicorn fragrances.

    I got to say I just love this scent with it's tropical flowers fused with citrus goodness. Pheromone natural deer musk to make you irresistible to the ladies (something you don't get with synthetic musk) with the most beautiful quality sandalwood. Ahhhh I could write a book on how good this scent is. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It has it all for me as I love citrus, deer musk and sandwood notes and here they are blended beautifully with top quality ingredients. And the exotic smelling floral notes are just the cherry on top of the cake so to speak. In ten years of been seriously into fragrances I've never smelled anything like this. I had the chance to get the Amber cologne but I decided on another bottle of the musk cologne as it's so good. A lot of us at some point have been on a sandalwood quest to obtain the best smelling sandalwood. Well the note in this is better than most sandalwood dominated fragrances, and here it's just a player amongst other beautiful notes.

    Also real deer musk has natural pheromones which just adds to the allure that your wearing a stellar fragrance, especially if worn on a night on the town. lol

    On another note does anyone know how many bottles he produces of each fragrance as they are limited editions. I'm just curious to know.
    How nice Jack Hunter. Thanks for posting your impressions.

    Have you smelled Musk Khabib (which coincidentally is my SOTD)? If so, how would you (or anyone reading this thread) compare it to Musk Cologne?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  22. #652

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    I have not smelled that one but have been intrigued by it and would also like to know how they compare.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. War & Peace By Areej le Dore
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

  23. #653

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post

    This question posed by W&L along with my sampling of the most recent three has made me come to a realization. Dmitry is either hit or miss with his openings. His "blend of citruses" are especially incredible. However, it seems in the case of Zemfira, Winston, and (sometimes) L'Heure, something just didn't work as well. Dmitry is experimenting and finding his footing...nothing wrong with that.
    After initial impressions and then spending time with L'heure and Vetiver Nocturne, I came to the conclusion that they were just too damn strong.

    L'heure is a wonderful creation but god help me if i applied it anywhere at my chest or above. Vetiver nocturne and Areej's Koh-i-Noor were the same way. You were better off just doing a single shot to your forearm and letting it come to you, and they WILL come to you. I suppose i feel like it missed a form of greatness by not creating "L'Heure Cologne" and "Vetiver Cologne"



    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

    Have you smelled Musk Khabib (which coincidentally is my SOTD)? If so, how would you (or anyone reading this thread) compare it to Musk Cologne?
    I've tried Musk Cologne, Musk Khabib, and Amber Cologne.

    Musk Cologne is the "prettiest" and most accessible, but the performance is notably poorer than Amber Cologne. I take no pleasure in saying it, but musk Khabib is a scrubber for me. I tried it when it was first released in a sample pack, and then again as a 5ml decant to see if my initial impressions were true. It's just way to "raw" and animalic for me. Borderline repulsive.

    Musk Cologne is as if Bortnikoff wanted to create a musk fragrance that he could sell successfully at a Macy's or Neiman Marcus counter. The only thing that stopped me from buying Musk Cologne was it's lack of performance compared to Amber Cologne. Amber Cologne is an amazing fragrance, and the only time i've ever found myself lacking joy wearing it is when I was directly comparing it to Musk Cologne. By itself, it's just stunning. I'm happy I just secured a bottle.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove

  24. #654

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    After initial impressions and then spending time with L'heure and Vetiver Nocturne, I came to the conclusion that they were just too damn strong.

    L'heure is a wonderful creation but god help me if i applied it anywhere at my chest or above. Vetiver nocturne and Areej's Koh-i-Noor were the same way. You were better off just doing a single shot to your forearm and letting it come to you, and they WILL come to you. I suppose i feel like it missed a form of greatness by not creating "L'Heure Cologne" and "Vetiver Cologne"





    I've tried Musk Cologne, Musk Khabib, and Amber Cologne.

    Musk Cologne is the "prettiest" and most accessible, but the performance is notably poorer than Amber Cologne. I take no pleasure in saying it, but musk Khabib is a scrubber for me. I tried it when it was first released in a sample pack, and then again as a 5ml decant to see if my initial impressions were true. It's just way to "raw" and animalic for me. Borderline repulsive.

    Musk Cologne is as if Bortnikoff wanted to create a musk fragrance that he could sell successfully at a Macy's or Neiman Marcus counter. The only thing that stopped me from buying Musk Cologne was it's lack of performance compared to Amber Cologne. Amber Cologne is an amazing fragrance, and the only time i've ever found myself lacking joy wearing it is when I was directly comparing it to Musk Cologne. By itself, it's just stunning. I'm happy I just secured a bottle.
    Sheepish edit because it’s actually L’Heure that I didn’t like and Musk Khabib is weird and bubble-gummy/soapy but kind of fun(though I’m happy to only have a decant and not and FB). To me, the 2 Colognes are the best bright Bourtnikoff’s since Bonheur (though Maximus is still my fav though much deeper and darker).

  25. #655
    Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Funny how we are all different and get pleasure from certain blends. Vetiver Nocturne and L'Heure Exquise are my top dogs after many wearings. But I do not discount his other compositions as Oud Maximus, Oud Monarch, Bonheur, Musk Cologne and Amber Cologne are very special in their own right. Some days I like heavy other days I like light. I am glad he visits both realms of the spectrum and I am developing a love for Musk Khabib after I shrugged it off at first. So my moods and perception changes with time it seems. Dmitry has something special going on and I am always excited to try his new launches.
    Currently wearing: Montabaco by Ormonde Jayne

  26. #656
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    I love all of his. Every one.

  27. #657

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    (though I’m happy to only have a decant and not and FB). To me, the 2 Colognes are the best bright Bourtnikoff’s since Bonheur (though Maximus is still my fav though much deeper and darker).
    We have similar tastes and a similar tolerance it seems. Bonheur is the "magnum opus" bortnikoff to my nose. Since then, the colognes are the next "brilliant" release. Everything else is rather polarizing to the masses.

    The only adjustment I'd say is that I prefer the more gourmand Oud Monarch to Oud Maximus. Also I too would be perfectly fine with 5ml decant of L'heure, Vetiver Nocturne, Mysterious Oud, and perhaps Zemfira.

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Some days I like heavy other days I like light.
    So accurate. I'm looking forward to adding Amber Cologne to my collection simply because Bonheur has matured into quite the heavy aroma. Will work perfectly in the colder months but looking forward to the lighter, "whispier" nature of Amber Cologne.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove

  28. #658
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,043

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    I love the classic perfume blending with the "attar" type ingredients. I think that is the magic with Dmitry. He's leaning more mainstream with the new release, but he's still doing those incredibly high quality ingredients that have often only been part of attars.

    I've had the most challenge with Mysterious Oud and with Oud Maximus but I've grown to LOVE LOVE LOVE Oud Maximus. I will have to return to Mysterious Oud and see if now I love that one too. The others, well, there is nothing short of amazing for me amongst all of his and I think I have them all.

  29. #659
    Super Member SydnorIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    After initial impressions and then spending time with L'heure and Vetiver Nocturne, I came to the conclusion that they were just too damn strong.

    L'heure is a wonderful creation but god help me if i applied it anywhere at my chest or above. Vetiver nocturne and Areej's Koh-i-Noor were the same way. You were better off just doing a single shot to your forearm and letting it come to you, and they WILL come to you. I suppose i feel like it missed a form of greatness by not creating "L'Heure Cologne" and "Vetiver Cologne"





    I've tried Musk Cologne, Musk Khabib, and Amber Cologne.

    Musk Cologne is the "prettiest" and most accessible, but the performance is notably poorer than Amber Cologne. I take no pleasure in saying it, but musk Khabib is a scrubber for me. I tried it when it was first released in a sample pack, and then again as a 5ml decant to see if my initial impressions were true. It's just way to "raw" and animalic for me. Borderline repulsive.

    Musk Cologne is as if Bortnikoff wanted to create a musk fragrance that he could sell successfully at a Macy's or Neiman Marcus counter. The only thing that stopped me from buying Musk Cologne was it's lack of performance compared to Amber Cologne. Amber Cologne is an amazing fragrance, and the only time i've ever found myself lacking joy wearing it is when I was directly comparing it to Musk Cologne. By itself, it's just stunning. I'm happy I just secured a bottle.
    That's pretty wild how strong L'Heure is on you. On me, It starts out moderately strong but quickly becomes fairly quiet on me. Sometimes I forget how differently these act on people.

    I remember you discussing how Bonheur has gotten stronger on you. Similarly, Russian Musk has done the same for me. At this point, two sprays is almost too much. Every aspect of it is straight nuclear at this point. If it gets any stronger on me I am going to have to keep it below the neck and go one spray only lol.

    Speaking of performance, its weird how I've heard quite a few people claim that Monarch projects like crazy on them. When I was wearing it, it got REALLY quiet on me and I could barely tell it was there. Granted it was pretty hot when I was wearing it and I didn't try it in cooler temps, but Oud usually performs better on me in high heat. I talked to a buddy of mine that tried it and he agreed it was soft on him as well. That's the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on it, because I absolutely love how it smells. Again, maybe another instance of these performing way different from person to person.
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

  30. #660

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    I've heard quite a few people claim that Monarch projects like crazy on them. When I was wearing it, it got REALLY quiet on me and I could barely tell it was there. Granted it was pretty hot when I was wearing it and I didn't try it in cooler temps, but Oud usually performs better on me in high heat. I talked to a buddy of mine that tried it and he agreed it was soft on him as well. That's the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on it, because I absolutely love how it smells. Again, maybe another instance of these performing way different from person to person.
    I've never read that. I've only heard it's strong and lasts a long time albeit close to skin.

    To the second point, that's the exact reason why i passed on Musk Cologne. Smells great but the lasting power is very poor. That said, at least i enjoy it while it lasts. I get little to none of that with the latest releases.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove




Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Areej le Doré, Areej le Doré, Areej le Doré!!!!
    By ammarmali in forum Fragrance Splits Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd April 2019, 07:09 PM
  2. Areej Le Dore Atlantic Ambergris
    By devilluvzme in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2018, 08:53 PM
  3. Wanted: Areej Le Doré - Siberian Musk
    By remik in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th January 2018, 12:26 AM
  4. Feel Oud and Areej le Dore (closed)
    By russian adam in forum Oudh Ud Aoud <3 erz
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th October 2017, 12:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000