Code of Conduct
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    This has got me thinking. Rising Phoenix's "Musk Rose Attar", and Roja's " Aoud Musk" are two of my favorite fragrances.

I see an opportunity here for Dmitry to play with a "punchier" musk rose. I found areej's W&P too soft and "aromatic". I'd love to see a Musk Rose from either house that has the "body" of Malik Al Taif.
    Hey I’m all in for a voluptuous jammy Bulgarian (not peppery Taif) rose with real deer musk or white ambergris, cologne style even. I remember back in the day when ALD2 was ‘struggling’ to find support, I chatted with Russian Adam about Musk Rose Attar’s popularity and he said something along the lines of “but there’s no musk in Musk Rose Attar”. Now he’s made a couple of hard-hitting musky roses such as Inverno Russo and shapeshifting smoke & leather War & Peace. Bortnikoff’s Zemfira unfortunately fell into the already overpopulated rose-oud genre.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    chatted with Russian Adam about Musk Rose Attar’s popularity and he said something along the lines of “but there’s no musk in Musk Rose Attar”. .

Very interesting you mention that. After trying Musk Rose Attar, I was asking JK for some recommendations in his RisingPhoenix offerings. I used Areej's Russian Oud as a reference point to which he responded "if you are liking Areej le Dore's fragrances - you might be more drawn to synthetics. His fragrances aren't entirely natural from what I gather. Natural fragrances can also be a bit of an acquired taste if one is used to more "modern" or commercial fragrances. Just something to keep in mind."

Full transparency, by Adam's own statement in an interview with Nikhil, he stated earlier Areej collections projected more because they had more synthetics. Going to leave that there though and not dig into any further meaning behind Areej's statement or JK's. I'm much too old for "he-said-she-said", especially in regards to perfumery. My "man card" is already hanging in the balance as it is lol.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Basenotes Plus

I wear a lot of all naturals and also others. All naturals are very quiet. Even ouds are quiet compared to loud synthetics.

I like a balance. I think JK DeLapp uses synthetics too -- musk for instance. He often doesn't use deer musk, if at all.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Musk Rose attar is my fav rose hands down. I was under the impression that it is an attar based on the Musk Rose, not any combination of musk and rose.
    Currently wearing: Silver Lining by Mirus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I wear a lot of all naturals and also others. All naturals are very quiet. Even ouds are quiet compared to loud synthetics.

I like a balance. I think JK DeLapp uses synthetics too -- musk for instance. He often doesn't use deer musk, if at all.
    I don't believe he does use synthetics at all. Maybe he uses vegetal musks in some attars but no synthetics. He worked in oils for aromatherapy and health before the attars.

---
    obviously from my SOTD I like synthetics as well... and I get the feeling Josh isn't against synthetics in perfume, it's just not how he handles things.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Musk Rose attar is my fav rose hands down. I was under the impression that it is an attar based on the Musk Rose, not any combination of musk and rose.
    That is correct. It’s one of my favourite rose attars too.

Basenotes Plus

I didn't know that.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I don't believe he does use synthetics at all. Maybe he uses vegetal musks in some attars but no synthetics. He worked in oils for aromatherapy and health before the attars.

---
    obviously from my SOTD I like synthetics as well... and I get the feeling Josh isn't against synthetics in perfume, it's just not how he handles things.
    Ahh, gotcha. I’m sure you are right. I’m not against synthetics either.

Basenotes Plus

A little synthetics to boost the performance of primarily natural perfumes is a good thing IMO.
    I know Sultan Pasha uses trace amounts of synthetics and his stuff is gold.

Back on topic....
    SdN today. This is great. The citrus opening is a treat.

Naturals are the flesh and complexity. Synthetics are the bones. Without synthetics there are no bones. Without bones there is no structure. Synthetics are the essence of modern perfume. It started in 1881. Creating a fragrance without them is like painting a picture without blues or reds. Synthetics give size and range. Without them you get small, soggy fragrances with the structure of a sea cucumber. Who the f*ck wants that?

I'm no expert. There are plenty of books.

I definitely get the thoughts on synthetics being necessary but Hiram Green makes amazing fragrances without them and so does Rising Phoenix. To me, it’s like different forms of music. Mostly I want people to plug in and turn up the volume. But every so often I like one voice and one guitar strumming quietly, if they’re singing the right notes.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Naturals are the flesh and complexity. Synthetics are the bones. Without synthetics there are no bones. Without bones there is no structure. Synthetics are the essence of modern perfume. It started in 1881. Creating a fragrance without them is like painting a picture without blues or reds. Synthetics give size and range. Without them you get small, soggy fragrances with the structure of a sea cucumber. Who the f*ck wants that?.
    can't agree more
    Don't stank.

can't agree more
    But you do like Musk Rose, which is all natural, right?

La Via del Profumo has the perhaps the most beautiful natural fragrances. I love them as they are and never thought that synthetics would improve them.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    La Via del Profumo has the perhaps the most beautiful natural fragrances. I love them as they are and never thought that synthetics would improve them.
    Yes me I love Anna Dworykina perfumes. Amazing. Also Elixir Attars. And Mellifluence. And DSH. All fantastic and natural

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Yes me I love Anna Dworykina perfumes. Amazing. Also Elixir Attars. And Mellifluence. And DSH. All fantastic and natural

This is what I suppose I'm trying to say, there are wonderful things to be had in naturals and in synthetics. My father was an inorganic chemist, who worked compounding things with Givaudin and IFF, so I'm naturally more interested in a perfume world post-synthetics. That being said, I can't deny there are a few artists who are able to do stunning things using solely natural ingredients. I thought all naturals were GOOP-style cash grabs for hippies who don't know art from granola bars. Then I smelled HYDE by Hiram Green and had to admit that naturals can bury you under a thick wall of dark intrigue and nuance.

What are your impressions on the Oud fragrances from Bortnikoff. I have only sampled Our Monarch which I love. I haven't tried a full wearing yet. Which our fragrance are your favorites from the house?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jcbuitrago View Post
    What are your impressions on the Oud fragrances from Bortnikoff. I have only sampled Our Monarch which I love. I haven't tried a full wearing yet. Which our fragrance are your favorites from the house?
    I love them. Maximus is my favorite oud fragrance. Monarch is not far behind. I recently acquired a bottle of Mysterious. It’s a bit too skanky for daily wear, but I am enjoying it immensely at home after work. All three rank as favorites from the house. I’d add the two colognes (EDPs) and L’heure Exquise personally. L’Heure Exquise is probably my second favorite from the house. I just haven’t smelled anything like it, and it’s very wearable in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jcelello; 22nd October 2019 at 08:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

This is what I suppose I'm trying to say, there are wonderful things to be had in naturals and in synthetics. My father was an inorganic chemist, who worked compounding things with Givaudin and IFF, so I'm naturally more interested in a perfume world post-synthetics. That being said, I can't deny there are a few artists who are able to do stunning things using solely natural ingredients. I thought all naturals were GOOP-style cash grabs for hippies who don't know art from granola bars. Then I smelled HYDE by Hiram Green and had to admit that naturals can bury you under a thick wall of dark intrigue and nuance.
    Hyde is so perfect and really goes against everything I have experienced and read about all-natural perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I love them. Maximus is my favorite oud fragrance. Monarch is not far behind. I recently acquired a bottle of Mysterious. It’s a bit too skanky for daily wear, but I am enjoying it immensely at home after work. All three rank as favorites from the house. I’d add the two cooognes (EDPs) and L’heure Exquise personally. L’Heure Exquise is probably my second favorite from the house. I just haven’t smelled anything like it, and it’s very wearable in my opinion.
    Thanks for the reply!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jcbuitrago View Post
    Oud Maximus was the best oud fragrance to come out in 2018.
    Oud Monarch the best in 2019.

Oud Monarch is very different to Oud Maximus. Oud Maximus has a stronger, 'oudy' opening, but is so complex in its development.

Basenotes Plus

He's not wrong about Oud Monarch.

Wearing Baikal Gris today. Not gonna lie, it took awhile, but it has matured into a formidable alternative to Bonheur.

The most interesting thing is that Oud Monarch became my "formidable alternative" to Russian Oud.

What is Oud Monarch and Baikal Gris lacking from their alternatives? The spicy kick.
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Baikal Gris today. Not gonna lie, it took awhile, but it has matured into a formidable alternative to Bonheur.

The most interesting thing is that Oud Monarch became my "formidable alternative" to Russian Oud.

What is Oud Monarch and Baikal Gris lacking from their alternatives? The spicy kick.
    I own decants of these four you mentioned and I agree with that assesment.

They're siblings. Sort of like Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur (Guerlain). Or Shalimar and Habit Rouge, if you will. But in this case they're from actual different brands.

Still...Feel Oud is run by both of these guys. So it's no surprise to me that their finished products, from their separate ventures, have similarities.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Indeed. Though, to my nose, the Areej scents display a more hairy-chested masculinity where the Bortnikoffs show a pleasant affability and sophistication. Weirdly I’ve come to enjoy Baikal & monarch slightly more than the OG counterparts.

Basenotes Plus

Monarch has overtaken Russian Oud for me.
    Also, Atlantic Ambergris is a lot like Bonheur now...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    Also, Atlantic Ambergris is a lot like Bonheur now...
    Awesome, isn’t it? I hope both Adam & Dimitry will bring these 2 back as 2nd editions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Awesome, isn’t it? I hope both Adam & Dimitry will bring these 2 back as 2nd editions.
    We're all waiting for the ALD x Bortnikoff collab.
    Haha. Part 2 of either would be great. I regret not backing up Bonheur as initially it was nice, not epic. AA is backed up.

Indeed. Though, to my nose, the Areej scents display a more hairy-chested masculinity .
    Monarch has overtaken Russian Oud for me.
    Russian Oud is like a shot of Jack Daniels, Monarch is like a 15 year old scotch you'd sip over time. Nothing else gives me that "hairy chested masculine" oud punch like Russian Oud while simultaneously being enjoyable to the nose, so it'll always hold a special place in my collection.

I need to talk to Areej's social media marketing person, cause I just thought of something cheeky that would be an instant sell out.

Could you imagine if Areej Le Dore's instagram did a "Coming Soon... Bonheur, Coup de Foudre, and Oud Monarch" and Bortnikoff did a coming soon "Russian Oud, Inverno Russo, and Koh-I-Noor"?

That would be so interesting to see each guy do an interpretation of the others' popular releases. Is that what i want most from either house right now? Not exactly. Would i be scrambling to get finances prepared to blind buy the lot? absolutely lol
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Haha. Part 2 of either would be great. I regret not backing up Bonheur as initially it was nice, not epic. AA is backed up.
    I really believe this isn't to off the mark at all. Maybe not near term but once they indulge in their individual crafting needs certainly a collaboration would be the next step in the evolutionary process. I have always thought this after their previous teamwork with Feel Oud.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast