Code of Conduct
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 1063
o
  1. #871
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,501

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Wow Jack. Lol. That must have been helluva experience. Btw I thought Dmitry used Kabarga deer musk. Not Kasturi. I’m no expert on deer musks but is there a possibility you’ve bought the erm... stronger stuff?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  2. #872

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow Jack. Lol. That must have been helluva experience. Btw I thought Dmitry used Kabarga deer musk. Not Kasturi. I’m no expert on deer musks but is there a possibility you’ve bought the erm... stronger stuff?
    Your probably right, but whatever it was boy was it pungent in it's sillage. lol
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

  3. #873
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    37,284

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Hilarious JackHunter lol.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

  4. #874

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    OMG! This is great! JackHunter Musk reviews need to continue. Does anyone else have some Musk to send for a review?

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  5. #875

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Now I got curious about the Kasturi deer musk in musk cologne so I purchased a 1ml vial of supposedly pure Kasturi musk oil. Well I knew this was going to be a scary beastly experience but not in the way I imagined.

    Well it came and I prepared the surface by the window in the bathroom with paper towels on that surface. I put on some rubber gloves, I was preparing like I was handling the Ebola virus.lol

    Well with gloves on and holding the package over the paper towels I used a scissors to open the package and took out the plastic bag. Inside that bag I could see the glass vial taped to a card with someones business details. I apprehensively handled the vial and started to pull the top off, it was tough and some oil splashed on my gloves. Glad I was wearing those gloves I tell you.

    Now I dabbed the vial stick onto a round small pad especially for oil scents which was on the paper towels in the bathroom under a open window. Now first impressions I got was the smell of nag champa like incense, so straight away I knew this had been diluted with something pleasing. First impressions was a sweet incense musky fragrance. Not that bad I thought, pleasing in a incense way and not to strong. Or so I thought.

    After 15 minutes the scent bloomed all through my home. You get the sweet nag champa incense with a feral animalic musk underneath. But the thing with it is not the smell but the sheer pungency that just fumigates well everywhere, I can even smell it lightly on my hand through the rubber gloves. There may have been small holes in the gloves. Now it's not heavy that it chokes you out it's just so pervasive and never ending.

    I think that even though they have made it smell good with the incense I don't want a scent that is going to be with you and anything it touches or comes in contact with forever. It smells like a fragrance that once opened will be with you for life unless you get a professional to get rid of the smell. I'm kind of scared to wear it on my skin as I'm not sure I will ever be rid of the scent. lol

    Oh my lord it's starting to smell like that smell at a animal enclosure at the Zoo. My god imagine wearing this to church, God would thunderbolt you out of existence I think.

    Edit

    Even placing the scent in a plastic bag, and then in a folded padded envelope and then into a plastic bag air sealed. And then taking the whole package and placing it in a airtight plastic container. I can still smell it, it just fills up any room it goes into. It's like radioactive waste, I'm going to have to chuck it. I cannot live with this constant incense animal zoo like musk. Talk about beauty and the beast.

    2nd Edit

    I've throne it out as I just could not handle the extreme sillage. It's funny it's not that the scent is overwhelming it's that it lingers in the air for ages where ever it is. I think I got a pinprick amount through the gloves on my skin and the smell just lingers in the air. As I said extreme sillage.

    I swear even after taking extreme precautions I can still smell traces of it. Sweet champa incese with that animal zoo musky scent. Like you have been given the job of sweeping out a zoo enclosure. That smell. And no matter the sweet incense that trys to cover it and it's nice. It's just no way hosay, not for me.
    This story is a Basenotes classic! I admire your curiosity greatly and thank you for blazing a trail for the rest of us to uhh... not follow. Hope the air has cleared at Chez Hunter!

  6. #876

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by cold_outside View Post
    OMG! This is great! JackHunter Musk reviews need to continue. Does anyone else have some Musk to send for a review?

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    My goodness no I could not take any more of any kind of musk. You know that phenomena called ear-worms when you get a song stuck in your head which you cannot get rid of. Well smelling that zoo like deer musk has given me the scent equivalent. It was so pervasive that the smell is stuck in my memory that I'm actually getting phantom whiffs of it. Every so often I'm like was that a whiff of that god damn zoo musk or is it my imagination. And it's every-time I go into the kitchen or bathroom. I hope it goes away as I have taken two showers, and cleaned and scrubbed. lol...
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

  7. #877

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    This story is a Basenotes classic! I admire your curiosity greatly and thank you for blazing a trail for the rest of us to uhh... not follow. Hope the air has cleared at Chez Hunter!
    Thanks, it was a experience and a half which I just want to put behind me. lol
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

  8. #878
    Basenotes Institution pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Carmel, CA
    Posts
    10,154

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    This guy's made some good ones, but he's also made a lot of expensive and thoroughly mediocre crap.

  9. #879

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    This guy's made some good ones, but he's also made a lot of expensive and thoroughly mediocre crap.
    Genuinely interested in which ones you like and don’t. Of the ones I tried, I’m not crazy about Musk cologne, Zemfira, and I really don’t care for Sir Winston ( I get tobacco and bubble gum). Love Amber cologne, every one of his ouds, and Musk Khabib. I would love to get my nose on Vn and Bonheur

  10. #880
    Super Member joe king's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    My goodness no I could not take any more of any kind of musk. You know that phenomena called ear-worms when you get a song stuck in your head which you cannot get rid of. Well smelling that zoo like deer musk has given me the scent equivalent. It was so pervasive that the smell is stuck in my memory that I'm actually getting phantom whiffs of it. Every so often I'm like was that a whiff of that god damn zoo musk or is it my imagination. And it's every-time I go into the kitchen or bathroom. I hope it goes away as I have taken two showers, and cleaned and scrubbed. lol...
    There is no such thing as deer musk oil only musk grains which have be macerated in oil. Most likely it was some other concoction that may or may not have contained real musk, but certainly contained other aroma enhancers. I have obtained several types of musk grains and macerated them in different oils, and while quite strong in aroma none would come close to the smell you described. Civet on the other hand.....

  11. #881

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by joe king View Post
    There is no such thing as deer musk oil only musk grains which have be macerated in oil. Most likely it was some other concoction that may or may not have contained real musk, but certainly contained other aroma enhancers. I have obtained several types of musk grains and macerated them in different oils, and while quite strong in aroma none would come close to the smell you described. Civet on the other hand.....
    It was advertised on Ebay as Kasturi Deer Musk and as you say grains diluted into what smelled like champa incense. Though it could have been something else and without a lab test who knows. I'm just glad I'm well rid of it, that animal zoo enclosure smell was just horrid. lol.....never again!

    I did try another deer musk oil some years ago and that was quite different and unwearable. It was deer grains mixed with low grade sandalwood and it smelled very feral and wild. Like the skin of a live animal, it was furry and animalistic. It smelled like you had skinned a wild animal. I threw that out as well, I should have learned my lesson but curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

    My Current Favorites

    1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

  12. #882
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    This guy's made some good ones, but he's also made a lot of expensive and thoroughly mediocre crap.
    I'm interested as well in an elaboration. I can totally understand that some folks might not like some of the Bortnikoffs but I'm quite surprised anyone would deem one of the scents "mediocre crap".

    I love Bonheur, Oud Maximus, L'Heure Exquise, Oud Monarch, Amber Cologne and Symphonie de Neroli.

    I like Vetiver Nocturne, Musk Khabib, Musk Cologne and Sir Winston.

    I dislike/feel indifferent about Mysterious Oud, Coup de Foudre and Zemfira.

  13. #883
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,501

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    I'm interested as well in an elaboration. I can totally understand that some folks might not like some of the Bortnikoffs but I'm quite surprised anyone would deem one of the scents "mediocre crap".
    Relax. Everyone’s entitled to his opinion, even if it’s worded somewhat provocatively. But it does seem of a stretch. When I think of mediocre crap I think along the lines of Nautica, Juicy Couture, Lacoste, et al. I do admit I found both Bortnikoff’s colognes underwhelming, and short of the usual high quality I was accustomed to with the first few collections. Overpriced for what they are perhaps but not mediocre.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

  14. #884
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Relax. Everyone’s entitled to his opinion, even if it’s worded somewhat provocatively. But it does seem of a stretch. When I think of mediocre crap I think along the lines of Nautica, Juicy Couture, Lacoste, et al. I do admit I found both Bortnikoff’s colognes underwhelming, and short of the usual high quality I was accustomed to with the first few collections. Overpriced for what they are perhaps but not mediocre.
    I'm perfectly relaxed ;-)

    Your own post summarizes my point well, maybe I haven't expressed myself neutral enough...

  15. #885
    Basenotes Junkie oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    859

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Definitely strange to use the term "mediocre" I'm not a big fan of the Bortnikoff DNA but would I don't find them "mediocre" they are definitely complex and unique, just not my taste. I don't see them as overpriced either when you analyse the quality of the ingredients used. Other niche houses are charging similar prices or more for lesser quality compositions with synthetic materials.

  16. #886
    Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    13,034

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    I'm interested as well in an elaboration. I can totally understand that some folks might not like some of the Bortnikoffs but I'm quite surprised anyone would deem one of the scents "mediocre crap".

    I love Bonheur, Oud Maximus, L'Heure Exquise, Oud Monarch, Amber Cologne and Symphonie de Neroli.

    I like Vetiver Nocturne, Musk Khabib, Musk Cologne and Sir Winston.

    I dislike/feel indifferent about Mysterious Oud, Coup de Foudre and Zemfira.
    Thank you for your thoughts and listing. Always a joy to find you have like interests. It is interesting certain scents resonate to some over others.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

  17. #887

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Received Oud Maximus Autumn 19, I really like it. I think it smells almost identical to the original , maybe slightly more of some sweeter facets that remind me of Oud Monarch.

    Also received a sample of VN Autumn19. I never smelled the original, but this one is kind of rough for me. Smells of top quality and sweaty gym socks at the same time. I need more time with it.

  18. #888

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by DonBos View Post
    Received Oud Maximus Autumn 19, I really like it. I think it smells almost identical to the original , maybe slightly more of some sweeter facets that remind me of Oud Monarch.

    Also received a sample of VN Autumn19. I never smelled the original, but this one is kind of rough for me. Smells of top quality and sweaty gym socks at the same time. I need more time with it.
    Thanks for your input. I just received Sir Winston from Luckyscent and asked for 6 samples of Oud Maximus. Got a 5ml sprayer from Ebay and boom, a free 3ml Oud Maximus decant. Sampling Oud Maximus today after a proper spraying. It is a really great Oud fragrance. Very wearable as well, although I do agree that Oud Monarch is slightly easier to wear in public for me. Oud Maximus has that freshness from the bergamot and orange that really makes it feel like a casual Our fragrance that could be a great Spring/Summer nights Oud option.

    On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying Sir Winston. The carnal, slightly indolic nature of the tuberose is rounded perfectly by the beautiful ambergris. The Tobacco note that comes up from behind to join the duo of tuberose/ambergris completes the trifecta. The ambergris makes this fragrance last all day. My second Bortnikoff after Musk Cologne and I couldn't be happier.

  19. #889

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by jcbuitrago View Post
    On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying Sir Winston. The carnal, slightly indolic nature of the tuberose is rounded perfectly by the beautiful ambergris. The Tobacco note that comes up from behind to join the duo of tuberose/ambergris completes the trifecta. The ambergris makes this fragrance last all day. My second Bortnikoff after Musk Cologne and I couldn't be happier.
    Good to hear. I'm slowly warming up to Sir Winston myself.. or maybe it's more like recovering from the initial cognitive dissonance that the note list suggested it would be like. I would still love to see what Dmitry could do if he had a release that went big on the tobacco. Possibly a Sir Winston remix with the tuberose dialed down and a much heavier, tobacco/resinous base?

  20. #890
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    For all of you who love/have Symphonie de Neroli, try layering with Slowdive. It's pure heaven.

  21. #891
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Smelled Amber Cologne and I am very disappointed with it. Had really high hopes.
    Very heavy, cloying, dominated by jasmine + piercing smell of ambergris that smells like a piss.
    Thankfully I didn't blind buy the whole bottle

  22. #892
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,858

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by gunpowder View Post
    For all of you who love/have Symphonie de Neroli, try layering with Slowdive. It's pure heaven.
    Interesting. I shall try. Thank you
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  23. #893

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Smelled Amber Cologne and I am very disappointed with it. Had really high hopes.
    Very heavy, cloying, dominated by jasmine + piercing smell of ambergris that smells like a piss.
    Thankfully I didn't blind buy the whole bottle
    Sorry to hear you had that experience. I get a light, natural smelling cologne that lasts for hours, in the end adding a salty sparkle to the top notes.

  24. #894

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    This guy's made some good ones, but he's also made a lot of expensive and thoroughly mediocre crap.
    Would still love to hear which ones you like and which ones you don’t! If you find time.

  25. #895

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by gunpowder View Post
    For all of you who love/have Symphonie de Neroli, try layering with Slowdive. It's pure heaven.
    I have a Hiram Green sample set on the way so I should be able to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

    Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Sorry to hear you had that experience. I get a light, natural smelling cologne that lasts for hours, in the end adding a salty sparkle to the top notes.
    This is what I get as well. Normally with me it's the musk that gets pissy and Ambergris at it's most "offensive" is more like bad breath. I get nothing offensive in Amber Cologne. Sorry Zizzy!

  26. #896
    Basenotes Junkie oudaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    859

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Got my Oud Maximus Autumn '19. Similar to the original but less fecal, the oud used here is definitely different. I'm getting brighter notes in the top more than the original. Rose and florals are the same, I actually prefer this one over the original and find it more wearable.

  27. #897
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I have a Hiram Green sample set on the way so I should be able to try it out. Thanks for the tip.
    Let me know what you think!

  28. #898
    Basenotes Plus
    911LambMelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Good to hear. I'm slowly warming up to Sir Winston myself.. or maybe it's more like recovering from the initial cognitive dissonance that the note list suggested it would be like. I would still love to see what Dmitry could do if he had a release that went big on the tobacco. Possibly a Sir Winston remix with the tuberose dialed down and a much heavier, tobacco/resinous base?
    I personally would love this.
    Really hoping we see something in the future from Bortnikoff or ALD.
    Do you even niche?

  29. #899

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Oud Dude, I’ve definitely gotten the bad breath ambergris. For me it was ensar oud’s ambra 1978 or whatever year. Ambergris tinctured in old Mysore sandalwood. Very expensive halitosis.

  30. #900

    Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Got my Oud Maximus Autumn '19. Similar to the original but less fecal, the oud used here is definitely different. I'm getting brighter notes in the top more than the original. Rose and florals are the same, I actually prefer this one over the original and find it more wearable.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I haven't been able to smell the original but did buy the '19 version. Good to get a comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by gunpowder View Post
    Let me know what you think!
    Will do. Very excited to try Slowdive on it's own as well....

    Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    I personally would love this.
    Really hoping we see something in the future from Bortnikoff or ALD.
    If either one did tackle it I'll bet it would be because they distilled their own tobacco oil (I think tobacco absolute is relatively easy to find while tobacco EO isn't widely available) or came into possession of an ancient bottle or two. I'm very interested in what Russian Adam will do with that vintage Siberian pine needle oil he sourced recently...

    Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Oud Dude, I’ve definitely gotten the bad breath ambergris. For me it was ensar oud’s ambra 1978 or whatever year. Ambergris tinctured in old Mysore sandalwood. Very expensive halitosis.
    Haha yes. That's what I got when I smelled an authentic Ambergris tincture too. Ambrinol is the closest synthetic I've smelled with this aspect of Ambergris.




Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Areej le Doré, Areej le Doré, Areej le Doré!!!!
    By ammarmali in forum Fragrance Splits Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd April 2019, 08:09 PM
  2. Areej Le Dore Atlantic Ambergris
    By devilluvzme in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2018, 09:53 PM
  3. Wanted: Areej Le Doré - Siberian Musk
    By remik in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th January 2018, 01:26 AM
  4. Feel Oud and Areej le Dore (closed)
    By russian adam in forum Oudh Ud Aoud <3 erz
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th October 2017, 01:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000