Code of Conduct
Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1901

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post
    Question for those with experience. I'm looking for picking up a bottle of Bortnikoff. Based upon my research and experience I've narrowed it down to these three: Oud Monarch, Musk Khabib, and Mysterious Oud. Of these three I've sampled and wore Mysterious Oud and love it. I'm wondering if either of the other two could get better than the experience with Mysterious Oud. My preferencesis that I really dig animalics ( I dig War & Peace II, wear that to bed sometimes ), big fan of spices like cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon, sweet resins are fine, just not to LDDM levels, and with florals I'm not a huge fan, especially rose. I just can't do rose as a prominent note.
    It looks a bit funny with two ouds and a musk but I like those ingredients so my main focus is on the best blended with highest quality ingredients. This bottle will not be worn outside much but is rather for me to enjoy at home.

With these preferences which of these would you suggest for me?

Thanks for your time.
    Musk Khabib is a scrubber to me. Oud Monarch is one of my top 3 favorite Bortnikoffs
    Don't stank.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Musk Khabib is a scrubber to me. Oud Monarch is one of my top 3 favorite Bortnikoffs
    Great, thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Question for those with experience. I'm looking for picking up a bottle of Bortnikoff. Based upon my research and experience I've narrowed it down to these three: Oud Monarch, Musk Khabib, and Mysterious Oud. Of these three I've sampled and wore Mysterious Oud and love it. I'm wondering if either of the other two could get better than the experience with Mysterious Oud. My preferencesis that I really dig animalics ( I dig War & Peace II, wear that to bed sometimes ), big fan of spices like cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon, sweet resins are fine, just not to LDDM levels, and with florals I'm not a huge fan, especially rose. I just can't do rose as a prominent note.
    It looks a bit funny with two ouds and a musk but I like those ingredients so my main focus is on the best blended with highest quality ingredients. This bottle will not be worn outside much but is rather for me to enjoy at home.

Thanks for your time.
    I really like Musk Khabib. I keep thinking I have to at least get a 9ml bottle of it. But, if you're after that wear at home more challenging/animalic, I would go with one of the ouds. Musk Khabib barely whispers animalic to me. I'm not saying it's a quiet scent. It's rather bold in the beginning and one of the better projecting Bortnikoff's. I probably won't explain it very well, but the musk in it is soft and smooth and just doesn't really say "animal" to me. It's the combination of all the notes that gives it some punch. The base is pretty sweet.

Most of the time when I tell my wife "smell this", she says "that's nice" (for example, Musk Cologne and Amber Cologne). When I put on Musk Khabib, she said "I really like that one".

So even though I prefer Musk Khabib over the other two, go with one of those if you're looking for more "stank".

(note: I know wood&leather has the exact opposite experience from me on Musk Khabib, so sample if you can. You may disagree with both of us )

Snowy days here in the pnw, layered slumberhouse norne (2spray) and musk khabib (4spray), I smell fucking amazing -coffee barista.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwliias View Post
    Snowy days here in the pnw, layered slumberhouse norne (2spray) and musk khabib (4spray), I smell fucking amazing -coffee barista.
    Amazing what kind of hybrids you can get from unexpected combinations.

Basenotes Plus

@psawjack. Given your preferences for animalics I’d have thought you’d have Oud Maximus in your shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwliias View Post
    That would stand out in a coffee joint. I think Musk Khabib’s smooth profile makes it a good candidate for layering with more monolithic stuff.

Basenotes Member

Just discovered my old sample set from the 2nd collection. L'Heure was still half full..... How the hell did i discount L'Heure so quickly back then?? Wearing it today and its brilliant. Such an unusual, unique fragrance. The oud in this is brilliant.
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    @psawjack. Given your preferences for animalics I’d have thought you’d have Oud Maximus in your shortlist.

That would stand out in a coffee joint. I think Musk Khabib’s smooth profile makes it a good candidate for layering with more monolithic stuff.
    I did see that as an option as well but LS described that he needed to mix four different rose oils to mix with the Oud. Reading that gave me reason to pause.

So you feel the rose is too prominent or dominates the fragrance?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time.
    I’d probably go with Oud Monarch. I think it’s easily on of his best. Not very animalic but a nice sweet/spicy Oud. From what you’ve said, you probably wouldn’t like Oud Maximus, though I think it’s his most interesting animalic Oud(but with lots of beautiful Rose that sounds like it could be a dealbreaker for you). Musk Khabib is VERY floral and not very animalic(in my humble opinion) so I wouldn’t pick that as an obvious choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Samples of War and Peace 2 and Lucky Oud came in today. I've got atomizers being delivered later in the day but i couldn't wait, so these impressions are based off finger dab applications to wrist

W&P2 - Sigh, the powder presence has been reduced as promised but it is still way too challenging for I what i'm looking for these days. I can appreciate some challenge, but the days of me being in that "not sure how i feel about this yet. I have to spend more time with this one" are over. Very intriguing smell, but i won't be pursuing it any further.

Lucky Oud: Having sampled a number of Ensar and Feel Oud raw oud oils I was surprised at just how much real oud is at play in the opening. I was initially put off because the floral mixed with a slight "rubbery" character of oud was present. Reminded me of Oud Yusuf, but gradually smelling it over the next 15 to 20 minutes delivered a much more enjoyable creation. I don't get a ton of cacao but the Vanilla and Tonka Bean is a treat.

As someone who loves Oud Monarch but doesn't care for Oud Maximus, I think Lucky Oud falls comfortably in the middle delivering some raw oud characteristics while providing a moderate dose of easy to enjoy gourmand elements (vanilla, tonka bean, cacao). Full Bottlele purchase? Probably not, but strongly considering not getting just 5ml but a 10ml decant from Strifeknot which would last me well into 2021

Edit: I'm smiling with Lucky Oud because the Tonka Bean is strongly leveraged in the base and drydown. I hope I'm not crucified for this, but the only reason I know that is because Tom Ford's Phuking Fabulous is a Tonka Bean/Almond bomb and i got the faintest reminder ot that.
    With a bigger spray today I get more of the opening challenging Oud that you mentioned here, wood&leather!!! I see what you mean now. Initially my first sample was all Tonka and sweet thai lotus but on second wear, I have to completely agree with your first impression.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SOB111 View Post
    Just discovered my old sample set from the 2nd collection. L'Heure was still half full..... How the hell did i discount L'Heure so quickly back then?? Wearing it today and its brilliant. Such an unusual, unique fragrance. The oud in this is brilliant.
    It happens. Especially with ouds and fragrances with lots of naturals.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Carré Blanc by The Zoo

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Love it! I am a big fan of L'Heure Exquiste.

Vatinee - A very classic citrus eau de cologne with good materials.
    I have Musk Cologne also - prefer Vatinee
    Glad I got 5ml from strifkenot for those days when I need this type of scent.

Finally got a sample of Musk Cologne! looking forward to this one, as I love Amber Cologne.
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    Finally got a sample of Musk Cologne! looking forward to this one, as I love Amber Cologne.
    I love both. They are amazing.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

I wore it today.

I found it incredibly ambergris prominent today. I love it. It's got that note but it's so different than Baikal Gris and Atlantic Ambergris. It's so smooth and well blended.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Carré Blanc by The Zoo

Basenotes Plus

Sometimes my nose thinks these two are the same formula with the ambergris and musk being the only differences. On other days, I get a little more variation in the other notes.

I received my FB of Oud Monarch the other day. Now I am thinking I wish I went with Musk Khabib instead. I think I want to like Oud Monarch more than I actually do. Only two sprays and it felt a little cloying after a while.

Today I’m wearing Amber Cologne layered with Rising Mysore. The sweet, citrus florals and ambergris play perfectly into the spicy sandalwood of Rising Mysore. It’s actually my favorite layering combo I’ve tried. Originally I was kind of a hater when it comes to Amber Cologne but as my tastes change and my nose adjusts to more natural perfumery, I’m starting to see just how beautiful Amber Cologne actually is.

I did two spray of Amber Cologne to the back of my neck and a spray of Rising Mysore on each forearm (it’s been consistently in the 70s where I live) so I’m hoping to continue this mix through the summer before it gets too hot here in Phoenix.

I’m also seeing more of the white florals this time around as opposed to amber colognes pure citrus notes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyriddle View Post
    Today I’m wearing Amber Cologne layered with Rising Mysore. The sweet, citrus florals and ambergris play perfectly into the spicy sandalwood of Rising Mysore. It’s actually my favorite layering combo I’ve tried. Originally I was kind of a hater when it comes to Amber Cologne but as my tastes change and my nose adjusts to more natural perfumery, I’m starting to see just how beautiful Amber Cologne actually is.

I did two spray of Amber Cologne to the back of my neck and a spray of Rising Mysore on each forearm (it’s been consistently in the 70s where I live) so I’m hoping to continue this mix through the summer before it gets too hot here in Phoenix.

I’m also seeing more of the white florals this time around as opposed to amber colognes pure citrus notes.
    This combo sounds epic.
    Both fragrances are top notch, I can see how they would work well together.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    This combo sounds epic.
    Both fragrances are top notch, I can see how they would work well together.
    They’re excellent together that’s for sure. I’m going to buy a full bottle Amber Cologne specifically for layering purposes haha! I hope all these natural perfume houses start doing collabs together one day.

Great thread and a big fan of Bortnikoff! I have Musk Khabib,Amber Cologne and Oud Maximus and I`m looking at my next purchase which I have narrowed down to either Oud Monarch OR Lucky Oud......(being that our Aussie Dollar is worth peanuts,so only one at the moment! lol)..Thoughts?

I gave Musk Cologne a full wearing and unsurprisingly, I love it. I would say MC is the spring day and summer evening version of Amber Cologne. Bortnikoff signature melange of citrus fruits in the opening with a more complex, and frankly sexy, combination of Muguet, Tuberose, Magnolia, and Ylang. I didn’t pick up on the green tea. What makes this one more of a spring day and summer evening scent is the warm deer musk accompanied by the creamy Sandal and Guaiac. I would love to have a bottle, but at almost twice the price of AC, I would probably still buy AC first. Regardless, it is an awesome fragrance and I might like it more than AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Flankers...

And the newest Oud...looks like a banger.

Basenotes Plus

Ill be buying. Hope they do testers
    Currently wearing: Sova by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Looking forward to this one! That note list is right up my alley.

Basenotes Plus

I cannot and shall not resist. Bortnikoff ouds are my favorite...

Indonesian Bouya (Crocodile Oud) is a type of oud from Kalimantan so this has 4 different ouds in it. This is a big digression from the previous releases that were mostly floral-heavy.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Basenotes Plus

Ooh... interesting. It could go pretty animalistic with hyraceum in the Triad picture...

Basenotes Plus

Oh wow. Can't wait for this one.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?

Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast