Code of Conduct
Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1845

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

Interestingly however the area of skin you apply it affects its presentation and evolution. In the crook of my arm the oud shows up early: a baritone presence with slightly rubbery nuances. On the back of my hands however, I get more of the tea rose and warm floral sandalwood.
    This 100%. I found the actual lotus in it to show up as VERY sweet when I sampled on the back of my hand. But when I applied with a heavy dose to the crook of my arm, it wasn’t very sweet and I found a heavy oud presence. Definitely a shape shifter depending on where you apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    This 100%. I found the actual lotus in it to show up as VERY sweet when I sampled on the back of my hand. But when I applied with a heavy dose to the crook of my arm, it wasn’t very sweet and I found a heavy oud presence. Definitely a shape shifter depending on where you apply.
    For me, the opening is very pungent.

I heard underwhelming described in reference to Lucky Oud as "Easy to wear" from a YouTube review posted on Bortnikoff's ig yesterday. So maybe a good year round option if you're not looking for a heavy hitter oud like Maximus. I'm thinking of blind buying but the magnolia and fear of too far feminine-leaning white or yellow floral accords keeps me from doing so.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    II'm thinking of blind buying but the magnolia and fear of too far feminine-leaning white or yellow floral accords keeps me from doing so.
    As someone who was turned off by Bortnikoff's entire last release due to the floral notes, i can say with confidence i found nothing too fem leaning at all in LO
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

A lovely blend of floral sandalwood with woodsy leathery underpinnings. I don’t find it excessively sweet; the sandalwood is clearly not from the famed buttery Mysore variety. Can’t really comment on the wild Thai Lotus other than it seems to bring a little more floralcy to the blend. Skeptics might be tempted to call it a marketing ploy to play up the ‘exotic factor’. Dimitry could have used any other flower in its place and it probably wouldn’t have made that much of a difference.

Interestingly however the area of skin you apply it affects its presentation and evolution. In the crook of my arm the oud shows up early: a baritone presence with slightly rubbery nuances. On the back of my hands however, I get more of the tea rose and warm floral sandalwood.

In a nutshell: refined. Or perhaps ‘underwhelming’ if your tastes lean towards the stronger more challenging end. Thankfully mine don’t.

Not a projection beast, Lucky Oud is arguably the house’s friendliest oud fragrance to date. I’m not blown away but it’s a good versatile oud number.
    Thanks. Your description intrigues me. I have a decant en route.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Eau Capitale by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks. Your description intrigues me. I have a decant en route.
    Me too....

Wearing Oud Monarch tonight...very odd fragrance. Medicinal wood...doesn't have any oud funk smothered in cocoa, light cinnamon and ambery-resinous vanilla. Not a fan of this one. I wish the oud were louder...the gourmand notes dialed way back.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Dependent

Wrong forum sorry
    Last edited by KBF1972; 13th February 2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Delete

Basenotes Plus

Man I wore Sir Winston yesterday and it just keeps getting better and better every time I wear it. Highly recommended if you can still find it. The ambergris and the way it mixes with the green tea and the tuberose is quite original and amazing!
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Eau Capitale by Diptyque

Basenotes Plus

Man I wore Sir Winston yesterday and it just keeps getting better and better every time I wear it. Highly recommended if you can still find it. The ambergris and the way it mixes with the green tea and the tuberose is quite original and amazing!
    I've gotten a few compliments on Sir Winston. I don't chase compliments with my tastes, but something about Sir Winston makes it so pleasing to non fragheads as well.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?

Basenotes Plus

It’s brilliant, isn’t it? High quality natural ambergris is IMO a miracle worker, the MVP that elevates the rest of the team. Green tea usually gets overwhelmed but with ambergris in support, it reaches new heights and transforms the tuberose. Next to Bonheur, this has become my 2nd most favored FBW Bortnikoff.

It’s brilliant, isn’t it? High quality natural ambergris is IMO a miracle worker, the MVP that elevates the rest of the team. Green tea usually gets overwhelmed but with ambergris in support, it reaches new heights and transforms the tuberose. Next to Bonheur, this has become my 2nd most favored FBW Bortnikoff.
    Sir Winston smells like steamed cooked rice to me. A very odd combination of notes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1985 View Post
    Sir Winston smells like steamed cooked rice to me. A very odd combination of notes.
    You’ve got to tell me what brand of rice you’re using!

Anyone got their bottles from new release yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    I've gotten a few compliments on Sir Winston. I don't chase compliments with my tastes, but something about Sir Winston makes it so pleasing to non fragheads as well.
    My wife told me I smelled like an old person covered in sun tan lotion when I wore it for the first time.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyriddle View Post
    My wife told me I smelled like an old person covered in sun tan lotion when I wore it for the first time.
    LOL. Makes it a good option should you decide to go into a passive-aggressive mode with her.

You’ve got to tell me what brand of rice you’re using!
    Korean and Vietnamese mixed brown and jasmine rice steam-cooked in a cuckoo rice cooker.

This fragrant rice y’all is making me hungry. I got the shipping notice yesterday for the new scents.

Basenotes Member

Bortnikoff fragrances I own: Oud Maximus (original); Amber Cologne; Musk Khabib (which i dislike); samples of the original Vetiver Nocturne and L’Heure.

Received today: Triad (9ml), Vetiver Nocturne Absolu (9ml), and a free sample of Sir Winston.

Wore this evening: Triad

First impression: Having largely skipped over the 3rd and 4th releases (not a fan of gourmand ouds) what is immediately noticeable is how he has matured and honed his skills as a perfumer since the 2nd collection. Firstly, the packaging and the atomizer - gone is the purple, replaced with nice black materials; his atomizer is very similar to (if not the same as) the 9ml atomizer with gold tops that Ensar uses (they look fantastic and work great). Secondly, the quality of the ingredients and blending (compared to 2nd collection) is exceptional.

First impression of Triad:
    The opening of this fragrance gave me goosebumps. It bares no resemblance to any other Bortnikoff I’ve tried (no gourmand or heavy florals). In fact i wouldn’t have guessed it was a Bortnikoff. However, it may be a polarizing opening but not in the same way Oud Maximus was polarizing. There is no funk or “blue cheese”. What there is, is strong natural smelling oud (to my nose slightly medicinal and aquamarine - which is common with Sri Lankan ouds), blended with an exceptional rose de mai. Those that don’t like the scent of a straight natural oud oil may find the opening challenging because it dominates (with the rose weaving in and out). His website describes it as a “unique tincture of wild Sri Lankan” and, in my view, he has chosen a really fantastic oud that you dont often get to experience in perfume form. Also I get no magnolia - only the rose. But what an exquisite rose it is. My partner said the trail of the scent felt like light rose petals blowing into their face. For me, its truly one of the best openings (the first 90-120 mins) in a fragrance I’ve experienced in a long while. Its not “overloaded” with lots of ingredients (which is what i prefer) and lets the oud do the talking.

The mid to later stages however (from 2.5-3hrs onwards), are still very enjoyable, but don’t give me the same feeling as the opening. Its very recognisable as a Bortnikoff at this stage (which isnt a bad thing). But it does start to bare a little too much resemblance to the mid/latter stages of Oud Maximus. As much as i love OM, im wanting something different here. I am wishing these later stages were as unique goosebumpy as that opening.

Anyway - this impression is only from a 1 time wear tonight - need to spend a lot more time with this fragrance (and hoping to pick up a lot more nuances in the later stages).

Is FB worthy? Based on the opening alone, for me its probably a Yes
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Basenotes Plus

Thank you @SOB111 for that 1st report on Triad. Sounds intriguing.

Very encouraging review. Sounds like it will be very much as I had hoped. Can't wait for my bottle to arrive !!!

Thanks for the update. I love Oud Maximus but never had a full bottle of it, so I don't mind that drydown from Triad.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by SOB111 View Post
    Bortnikoff fragrances I own: Oud Maximus (original); Amber Cologne; Musk Khabib (which i dislike); samples of the original Vetiver Nocturne and L’Heure.

Received today: Triad (9ml), Vetiver Nocturne Absolu (9ml), and a free sample of Sir Winston.

First impression: Having largely skipped over the 3rd and 4th releases (not a fan of gourmand ouds) what is immediately noticeable is how he has matured and honed his skills as a perfumer since the 2nd collection. Firstly, the packaging and the atomizer - gone is the purple, replaced with nice black materials; his atomizer is very similar to (if not the same as) the 9ml atomizer with gold tops that Ensar uses (they look fantastic and work great). Secondly, the quality of the ingredients and blending (compared to 2nd collection) is exceptional.

The opening of this fragrance gave me goosebumps. It bares no resemblance to any other Bortnikoff I’ve tried (no gourmand or heavy florals). In fact i wouldn’t have guessed it was a Bortnikoff. However, it may be a polarizing opening but not in the same way Oud Maximus was polarizing. There is no funk or “blue cheese”. What there is, is strong natural smelling oud (to my nose slightly medicinal and aquamarine - which is common with Sri Lankan ouds), blended with an exceptional rose de mai. Those that don’t like the scent of a straight natural oud oil may find the opening challenging because it dominates (with the rose weaving in and out). His website describes it as a “unique tincture of wild Sri Lankan” and, in my view, he has chosen a really fantastic oud that you dont often get to experience in perfume form. Also I get no magnolia - only the rose. But what an exquisite rose it is. My partner said the trail of the scent felt like light rose petals blowing into their face. For me, its truly one of the best openings (the first 90-120 mins) in a fragrance I’ve experienced in a long while. Its not “overloaded” with lots of ingredients (which is what i prefer) and lets the oud do the talking.

The mid to later stages however (from 2.5-3hrs onwards), are still very enjoyable, but don’t give me the same feeling as the opening. Its very recognisable as a Bortnikoff at this stage (which isnt a bad thing). But it does start to bare a little too much resemblance to the mid/latter stages of Oud Maximus. As much as i love OM, im wanting something different here. I am wishing these later stages were as unique goosebumpy as that opening.

Anyway - this impression is only from a 1 time wear tonight - need to spend a lot more time with this fragrance (and hoping to pick up a lot more nuances in the later stages).

Phenomenal first review, thanks so much for this! I'm trying to decide between Triad (I own OM Autumn 19) and Vetiver Nocturne Absolu (I've only sampled the autumn 19). I plan on just getting a few samples, but waiting for them to go up on Luckyscent. After speaking with a rep over the phone, they should be on the website sometime this weekend.

Would love to hear your opinion on VN Absolu. Unfortunately I've never tried the original, which I hear is much different than the Autumn 19 edition, but I would still love to hear your impressions on the fragrance and a comparison to the original whenever you get the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by SOB111 View Post

Thank you for a review, this sounds good. Can you please add on the subject of silage, longevity, and when you mention that drydown is like OM, doe it feel same, or is it more crisp? I find drydown to be a bit blurred in feeling, notes are not very distinct, so i am curious if it is a different story here. Thank you

Wow, now I’m really excited to receive my Triad.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonBos View Post
    Phenomenal first review, thanks so much for this! I'm trying to decide between Triad (I own OM Autumn 19) and Vetiver Nocturne Absolu (I've only sampled the autumn 19). I plan on just getting a few samples, but waiting for them to go up on Luckyscent. After speaking with a rep over the phone, they should be on the website sometime this weekend.

Would love to hear your opinion on VN Absolu. Unfortunately I've never tried the original, which I hear is much different than the Autumn 19 edition, but I would still love to hear your impressions on the fragrance and a comparison to the original whenever you get the chance!
    Vetiver Nocturne Absolu - VN(A)
    I didn’t do a side by side compare with the original VN(O), but have recently worn VN(O). Ive not tried VN Autumn 2019. Ive always struggled with VN(O) - to me, the opening always felt like I had stuck my face into an enormous, white waxy flower, and there was something sharp and overpowering about it that gave me headaches.

First impressions:
    For me, VN(A) is significantly more enjoyable. It opens with a burst of neroli that quickly (within 10-20mins) morphs to a scent that centres on an “airy” jasmine that is anchored by a very noticeable vetiver core. The jasmine is neither indolic nor overpowering. There isn’t any sharp edges - the blending very refined. The vetiver is earthy and grassy, and the anchoring it provides makes this a very unisex scent and prevents the jasmine from overpowering. Imagery wise - the opening evoked feelings of spring time and being in a Mediterranean garden. This combination of light, airy jasmine floating around a core of vetiver remains for a good 2hrs.

At about the 120-150 mins mark, the jasmine recedes and the sandalwood makes its presence felt. The sandalwood sits slightly towards the more musky type of sandalwood rather than the milky/creamy style. There is some similarity with the sandalwood in the dry down of Baikal Gris. I really enjoyed this phase of the scent. Its predominately a vetiver / sandalwood mix with hints of florals, but the florals definitely in the distant background.

Heat/weather seems to make a difference. I think warmer weather/body heat will bring out the vetiver even more. I went to the gym at about the 5 hr mark and the vetiver became very strong.

Also at about 4-5 hr mark a mineral-ly type element starts poking through which starts to transform into a nice ambergris scent. When fully developed there are some similarities with the ambergris in Amber Cologne. I didn’t detect the listed oakmoss or oud.

Initial wearing conclusion: Although there is nothing groundbreaking or goose-bumpy about this scent, I really enjoyed wearing it. I can see myself reaching for it often during Spring and the warmer seasons (particularly since the vetiver seems to shine even more in warmer weather). Nothing challenging about it, it isn’t overpowering, and the blending exceptional. I prefer it significantly more than VN(O), but i wonder how different it is to the more recent VN (2019). Also for me, it fills a gap in my wardrobe (regarding unisex jasmine scents). Others with more extensive wardrobes might feel its a bit redundant (particularly if you own and enjoy the earlier vetiver nocturnes). I would describe this as “doing exactly what it says on the tin”. Finally - the color of the juice is definitely unique - its what everyone will have seen on the Bortnikoff insta page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Thank you for a review, this sounds good. Can you please add on the subject of silage, longevity, and when you mention that drydown is like OM, doe it feel same, or is it more crisp? I find drydown to be a bit blurred in feeling, notes are not very distinct, so i am curious if it is a different story here. Thank you
    Too early in the wearings to comment on the sillage and longevity - i washed it off before bed last night (but i was about 7 hours in and was projecting a few inches from skin). I think my nose is similar to yours - i too get a "blurred feeling" during the later stages with both OM and this. Dont get me wrong - its nice - its a clean, dense woody smell, but i dont pick up much else. For me, "Act 1" of this scent is where it shines.
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Thank you SOB111 for answering my questions. I think Triad will follow same trend as OM and Monarch in silage and longevity. It stays about 6-7 hrs on my skin and they are pretty quiet. I have a shy style of about 2 sprays only with my perfumes, so maybe i need to increase that with Bortnikoffs. I do find as well that initial stages are much more interesting than the dry down.

Basenotes Plus

Nice reviews SOB111.

Still patiently waiting for my package to arrive.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?

*sigh* the pains of registered post. a couple of initial processing updates, a departure scan on 13 February, annnnnnnd not a further update was seen.
    Don't stank.

My bottle of Triad arrived this morning, along with a sample of Oud Sinharaja.
    Looking forward to trying it out in the next few days.

Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast