Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User of Toilet Water

Default Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

Russian Adam's partner at Feel Oud, Dmitry Bortnikoff has started his own perfume house. Like Areej le Dore, Bortnikoff's compositions are created in small, limited edition batches using quality, natural ingredients. There are three initial offerings. Bortnikoff's website can be found here: http://bortnikoff.com

Samples are expensive, but of a generous size. My Instagram friend bought the sample set and graciously sent them to me to try. He subsequently bought full bottles of all three.

Nikhil (BN's own exoticscents) brought these fragrances to my attention through his Instagram posts. And he has just uploaded a video on them:

I've only tested them once, but here are my thoughts:

Bonheur: I recognize the real ambergris (thanks to Atlantic Ambergris) along with some spices. There is then also a mossy, earthy, greenness which turns rather vegetal. I love green notes, but this vegetal green doesn't sit well with me. It's similar to something I get from Memoir Man and Slumberhouse's Grev. I suspect that if I wear this normally on my chest then this wouldn't bother me so much versus sniffing my arm as I did when testing.

Coup de Foudre: Very floral opening with sweet citrus, but it doesn't feel feminine at all. I also get a dry smokiness, but looking at the notes, I'm not sure what that is. Sandalwood (Feel Oud's 100k sandalwood oil is an ingredient) then comes through along with florals.

Mysterious Oud: Woody and resinous in the beginning before the oud shines which has a very leathery profile to me. It ends with vanillic woodiness. This is nothing like Areej le Dore's oud to me. I suspect that will disappoint many, but I find it more wearable and a nice change of pace.

Here's my pic of the sample presentation:

While there are obvious parallels to Areej le Dore including the presentation, I don't think these could be confused with Areej le Dore's. Bortnikoff has his own style.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

I was wondering why the three sample set was $100.00 considering the bottle prices didn't warrant the price.
    I see the samples are 5ml each, not the typical 1.5-2ml. Nice size samples, but if you don't like one or two or none at all that's a hefty sample investment.
    Personally I would be more interested if the sample set was 2.5ml for $50.00.
    Or better yet 1.5ml set for $30.00
    Or better yet I'll agree with Bangkok Hound a 1ml set for $20.00 would get many more interested in sampling.
    The heck with a fancy presentation on samples.
    Plain vials or sprays in bubble wrap works for me.
    5ml is just to much juice to invest in for sampling purposes IMO.
    So they have already turned me off, and I won't be sampling.
    Last edited by thebeck; 28th May 2018 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks for the heads up. How would you describe Bortnikoff’s style?
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I was wondering why the three sample set was $100.00 considering the bottle prices didn't warrant the price.
    I see the samples are 5ml each, not the typical 1.5-2ml. Nice size samples, but if you don't like one or two or none at all that's a hefty sample investment.
    Personally I would be more interested if the sample set was 2.5ml for $50.00.
    I think the price will put a lot of people off, though it's reasonable for what you get. At 5ml I wouldn't really ever need full bottles considering how many bottles I own. Personally, I'd prefer 1ml samples at $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. How would you describe Bortnikoff’s style?
    This is tough. I think at first you notice what seems like a ton of naturals being used and it's like a (good) punch in the face, which seems like they are more complex. But in the end they seem more approachable than Areej le Dore's. Mysterious Oud, I believe is more wearable than Areej's ouds and Coup de Foudre is an easier wear than say Flux de Fleur. There I am comparing the two houses, but I guess it's unavoidable. Anyway, these are my thoughts after only an initial testing, so take it with a grain of salt. Having said that, I could see myself with full bottles of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I think the price will put a lot of people off, though it's reasonable for what you get. At 5ml I wouldn't really ever need full bottles considering how many bottles I own. Personally, I'd prefer 1ml samples at $20.

This is tough. I think at first you notice what seems like a ton of naturals being used and it's like a (good) punch in the face, which seems like they are more complex. But in the end they seem more approachable than Areej le Dore's. Mysterious Oud, I believe is more wearable than Areej's ouds and Coup de Foudre is an easier wear than say Flux de Fleur. There I am comparing the two houses, but I guess it's unavoidable. Anyway, these are my thoughts after only an initial testing, so take it with a grain of salt. Having said that, I could see myself with full bottles of those two.
    Thanks for your input. I find it interesting you bring up the wearability factor. I find most of the Areej le Dore to be unwearable or unenjoyable. Glad to hear these might be less challenging. Lately I don't seem to want to challenged, I just want great smell on first whiff.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Like the appearance of the hefty bottles. The sample presentation looks nice also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Just blind bought all 3 perfumes and I'd just like to say dealing with Mr Bortnikoff has been such a wonderful experience. I contacted him through the WatsApp number on the website thinking it may be a representative from his company talking to me but it was the man himself.

He was very helpful, very patient and answered any questions I had...And that was at 6am Thailand time!

Now I'm looking forward to the perfumes arriving and I hope they are as exceptional as the service I've received so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    Just blind bought all 3 perfumes and I'd just like to say dealing with Mr Bortnikoff has been such a wonderful experience. I contacted him through the WatsApp number on the website thinking it may be a representative from his company talking to me but it was the man himself.

He was very helpful, very patient and answered any questions I had...And that was at 6am Thailand time!

Now I'm looking forward to the perfumes arriving and I hope they are as exceptional as the service I've received so far.
    Wow, you sure ave more faith than I do. $800.00 blind buy. I hope all three turn out to be great for you. Please report back after you've had a chance to wear them.

Extremely intrigued by the Coupe de Foudre, and willing to buy someones' sample off them. I'd love to get the discovery set but I've been nickel and diming myself to hell lately and need to restrain. I don't want to spend that money and end up with another Russian Musk situation on my hands.
    Don't stank.

Yeah I know. I hope they are great. Let's see how it goes. I don't think I'll be buying anymore perfume for the rest of the year with what ive purchased in the last week!

Yeah I know. I hope they are great. Let's see how it goes. I don't think I'll be buying anymore perfume for the rest of the year with what ive purchased in the last week!
    my sentiments exactly. I'm waiting on a blind $250 ASQ Safari Incense buy to arrive as it is, and I only did that because I know for a fact the OG attar by them is breath taking. definitely want to get my hands on a sample of coupe de foudre though.
    Don't stank.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    my sentiments exactly. I'm waiting on a blind $250 ASQ Safari Incense buy to arrive as it is, and I only did that because I know for a fact the OG attar by them is breath taking. definitely want to get my hands on a sample of coupe de foudre though.
    I have high hopes especially if it is similar quality to Areej. I've also ordered Russian Musk and Russian Oud last week, lol so maybe no perfume for the whole of next year!

I'll be going Dubai next month so I'll have a chance to smell Safari Incense there. It's a shame there isn't the 50% discount on the website.

Always be smelling

oops
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Lol was Russian Musk that bad?

I hope I haven't made a mistake purchasing it.

Not at all. In fact, I think it's the perfect compliment to Russian Oud. I find russian oud to be sensual and intimate. I almost wear it strictly at home when I'm relaxing after a long day and enjoying some brown liquor. Character wise, I find Russian Musk to be the daytime/social version of russian oud. The bergamot&musk blend is very enjoyable, but at nearly $400 I would prefer my day time frag to occasionally waft up to my nose for me to enjoy and not require me to bury my nose into my arm after dry down.

Edit: In hindsight, Fleux de Fleur is the unique and good performing "daily driver" ALD fragrance I'd rather have.
    Last edited by wood&leather; 30th May 2018 at 12:28 AM.
    Don't stank.

Just received an update regarding the perfumes.

IMG-20180530-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20180530-WA0018.jpg

Very nice presentation. Really impressed with the experience so far. Fingers crossed the perfumes are great!

User of Toilet Water

I'm really sold on Mysterious Oud. I just love the long-lasting leathery mid.

I'm really sold on Mysterious Oud. I just love the long-lasting leathery mid.
    Sounds positive. What is the projection and sillage like?

User of Toilet Water

Sounds positive. What is the projection and sillage like?
    I've only tested (overnight) Mysterious Oud a few times, but it passes my test in that it's still there in the morning when I wake up. I think it is probably the best when it comes to performance of the three.

Those of you who like (real) sandalwood should enjoy Coup de Foudre as that note is the main player in the drydown.

User of Toilet Water

There is now a sample set with 1.5ml samples for $35 on the website: http://bortnikoff.com/product/sample-set/

There is now a sample set with 1.5ml samples for $35 on the website: http://bortnikoff.com/product/sample-set/
    That tells me Bornikoff Perfumes is paying attention to this blog, and responding to some of our gripes about the 5ml $100.00 samples.
    Bornikff gets tons of points from me for listening, and coming up with a very balanced and thought out solution. I can now consider buying a sample set, and I hope many others here do the same. It's rare that a company will listen to complaints and respond so swiftly.That alone makes me want to do business with them.

KUDOS TO BORNIKOFF IF YOUR READING

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

In my humble opinion Russian Musk is awesome. In fact each time I wear it something else seems to shine through just the opening is intoxicating then the progressive drydown keeps you in rapture. I really don't want to wear anything else at the moment. It has captivated me this much. Russian Adam has mastered this concoction to perfection.

For the Botnikoff perfumes are they in 50ml bottles?

I've only tested (overnight) Mysterious Oud a few times, but it passes my test in that it's still there in the morning when I wake up. I think it is probably the best when it comes to performance of the three.

Those of you who like (real) sandalwood should enjoy Coup de Foudre as that note is the main player in the drydown.
    Both those offerings seem magical. Thank you for your reviews.

Yes they're all 50ml. From what I was told, there are 100 bottles of Mysterious Oud and Coup de Foudre and 50 bottles of Bonheur.

Yes they're all 50ml. From what I was told, there are 100 bottles of Mysterious Oud and Coup de Foudre and 50 bottles of Bonheur.
    Excellent! I am tossing up a blind buy either for Mysterious oud or Coup de Foudre. If you have some time with either please give some of your experiences as I will monitor this thread with anticipation. I hope you enjoy these as much as you do Russian Adam's offerings. Surely working together they have shared ideas and experiences.

Basenotes Institution

...Those of you who like (real) sandalwood should enjoy Coup de Foudre as that note is the main player in the drydown.
    Consider me interested
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I see as well as offering smaller samples sizes, they come with "leakage protection". This is good because my 5ml sample set leaked, although dimitry did offer to replace the whole set which was very considerate.I am still deciding how much I like them, you can smell some quality ingredients but they haven't wowed me.

Basenotes Institution

Any idea where the company is based out of? I just noticed the shipping rates are at a minimum $15, which makes that 3 sample pack around $50.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Any idea where the company is based out of?
    Thailand

I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Just ordered one of each bottle.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast