Code of Conduct
o
    A horribly hot, humid and uncultured southern state

Default Blue Lotus Absolute Feedback Needed

Greetings!
    Iím torn between a few blue lotus (Nymphaea caerulea) absolutes and wanted to see if any of you had any feedback on these vendors. Itís awfully pricey and Iíve tried to narrow it down in order to keep the cost down. Apparently, some of these vendors sell a dilution and was curious if any of you had experience with that as well. Iím not planning on mixing it with another absolute which is why Iím trying to source a very fragrant kind with (hopefully) some tenacity.

- Living Libations has both a 2.5 ml straight and also 5 ml diluted in a 1:4 jojoba ratio. They claim that they use a phytonic distillation with no harsh chemicals . Iím not certain what impact that has on the fragrance, if any.

- Enfleurage has a 2 ml 10% maceration.( No idea what kind of extraction/distillation method they use.)

- Natureís Gift has a solvent extracted 2 ml straight version and also a 10% dilution .

- Original Swiss Aromatics sells it in 1ml increments but Iíve never heard or bought from them before.

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Default Re: Blue Lotus Absolute Feedback Needed

was looking for a pure natural blue lotus absolute, i tried living libations and i cant say i would even recommend it

I had no idea what "phytonic extraction" even meant.

Apparently, from websearch,

"In brief, the 'Phytonics' technology concerns the use of non-chlorinated fluoro-hydrocarbons (environmentally friendly refrigerant gases) as viable alternatives to conventional organic solvents and supercritical carbon dioxide. A range of these solvents have been developed and are known as Phytosols… These are all derived from a commonly used and environmentally safe chemical called HCF-134a or 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane."

Nice re-naming! Sounds much less "chemical" and more "natural" for those who like to feel warm and fuzzy in that regard.

Actually it's an interesting and potentially clever and useful choice of solvent, I'm not knocking it at all, just saying I had no idea what that marketing-speak meant.

Yes, I've written about it in the past. The extracts made by this process were originally called phytols, then phytosols, and now they're called florasols. The solvent itself (HCF-134a) is also called florasol.

Wish I hadn't missed it when you wrote about it before. I haven't had the chance to get beyond the initial glimpse I got earlier this morning but it looked to me like a very practical way to do supercritical fluid extract at quite moderate pressure and potentially especially advantageous if wanting to extract somewhat more polar substances. Maybe of interest for tuned extractions.

EDIT:
    a very practical way to do supercritical fluid extract at quite moderate pressure
    Incorrect.

The moderate conditions mentioned in what I was reading were not supercritical. Critical temperature and pressure are 101 C or 122 C (differing reports) and 589 psi. CO2 is 31 C and 1070 psi. So the needed pressure is less but still likely at a point where if you can do one you could do the other, while the needed temperature is higher than desired for many things I think.

The described process appears to be liquid phase.

Apologies for the side-track.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 16th October 2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhnamission View Post
    Greetings!
    I’m torn between a few blue lotus (Nymphaea caerulea) absolutes and wanted to see if any of you had any feedback on these vendors. It’s awfully pricey and I’ve tried to narrow it down in order to keep the cost down. Apparently, some of these vendors sell a dilution and was curious if any of you had experience with that as well. I’m not planning on mixing it with another absolute which is why I’m trying to source a very fragrant kind with (hopefully) some tenacity.

- Living Libations has both a 2.5 ml straight and also 5 ml diluted in a 1:4 jojoba ratio. They claim that they use a phytonic distillation with no harsh chemicals . I’m not certain what impact that has on the fragrance, if any.

- Enfleurage has a 2 ml 10% maceration.( No idea what kind of extraction/distillation method they use.)

- Nature’s Gift has a solvent extracted 2 ml straight version and also a 10% dilution .

- Original Swiss Aromatics sells it in 1ml increments but I’ve never heard or bought from them before.

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Much appreciated!

I’ve posted about this in another thread, but basically there are 3 types of blue lotus scents you can get depending on the extraction.
    I purchase directly from farmers (I travel around Asia every summer sourcing ingredients) and can tell you the answer really depends. A lot of people want blue lotus for the physical effects it has on your body but the oil is not the ideal route for that. The scent does have components that are physiologically relaxing to us but nowhere as strong as ingesting the teas or other methods. So if you are asking for the purpose of perfumery: it depends on what notes you want to achieve, then purchasing from different vendors depending on extraction makes sense. However,imo the phytonic extraction gets too mild in dilution. There’s another distillation approach which is fine in dilutions as it has a stronger profile. However the profiles are different. Fake blue Lilly oil smells like bad perfume and is really really obvious. What isn’t obvious is the dilution. I had a farmer once accidentally sell me the diluted stuff and while I was fairly confident it was off, I wasn’t sure why it was off. They rectified it when I mentioned the quality issue.
    Last edited by mewmew; 16th October 2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added note

(Hi pears!! I love reading your stuff and find you and I have a lot of similar interests!) would love to hear your opinion on pythonic extractions. I don’t understand why they smell so differently. I’ve read a lot of research about them and had chemical companies explain why it’s a better solution in their view but that hasn’t really answered the questions I have.

Hi mewmew, I'm glad that you enjoy reading my posts. The increased polarity of HCF-134a means that it will probably extract less in the way of waxes than hexane or butane, for example. However, the aroma compounds can have a very wide range of polarities, so which solvent works best will largely depend on the composition of the material.