Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Giorgio Beverly Hills Vintage Giorgio For Men: A Bargain Powerhouse

An excellent blog post yesterday by Kafkaesque, as usual.

Rich, bold, powerhouse fragrances for a bargain price, what could be better? There is a definite advantage in going vintage, and Giorgio For Men is a perfect example of why: addictive patchouli is layered with loads of genuine oakmoss, Cuir de Russie-style birch leather, and gales of spices and amber, then lashed with honey, iris-orris butter, sandalwood, citruses, dry cedar, chocolate, vanilla, and silky cream. It’s all presented in a seamless, complex, long-lasting and audaciously intense concoction with parallels to both vintage legends and modern niche, except Giorgio costs a pittance of the price of most fragrances in those categories and it also contains high levels of raw materials now limited or banned in perfumery.

For a mere $30, I purchased a large, 95% full, 120 ml or 4 oz bottle whose scent bore echoes of fragrances which came both long before it and long after it: legends like vintage Givenchy Gentleman and popular modern creations like Serge Lutens’ Borneo 1834, Chanel‘s Coromandel, and Guerlain‘s LIDGE. Throughout its long lifespan, Giorgio’s character changed from the ruggedly polished but elegant 1980s alpha male to the unisex, modern, and addictively, delectably cuddly. While there are a handful of small issues with the fragrance, mostly if one sprays a lot of it, they’re minor in the overall scheme of things and the low price makes them easy to ignore. In short, this is a scent well worth looking up.
    http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2018/0...in-powerhouse/
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Default Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills Vintage Giorgio For Men: A Bargain Powerhouse

great blogger, yes

You really have to like patch and it's 'nuclear' powered

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like it so much, I never think of it as being especially strong when I wear it. I think of it more as being just right.

The blogger has gotten a lot right in the post. It also reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman. I had never thought of a connection to Coromandel or LIDGE, although those are a couple more that I like. I've never tried Serge Lutens’ Borneo 1834.

Always be smelling

That is my bottle

Am I famous now?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Like reading Kafaesque's blog entries also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The blogger has gotten a lot right in the post. It also reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman. I had never thought of a connection to Coromandel or LIDGE, although those are a couple more that I like. I've never tried Serge Lutens’ Borneo 1834.
    Patchouli intensive and rich. The modern version just smells thin and jagged to me, and not at all sumptuous like the vintage. Not nearly as loud either.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

I have the "Giorgio for Men Special Reserve", I wonder if it's a more concentrated version since in the article there is no mention about it.

It's a not, it's an altrered version and in my opinion significantly better although the kinship is clearly detectable. Both versions are very strong and need to be applied accordingly.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Wearing Perfume Right Now

VIP is different, and it's great. The original, though, is easily the one I prefer.

The vintage is stupendous stuff. Anyone know if it had real ambergris? I'm always blown away by the depth of the amber in this. And yes, quite a bit more moss than you'd think at first.

The Gentleman comparisons can be a bit of a stretch once you really get to know both vintages. IMO Gentleman is a much smarter, more put together fragrance. Giorgio straddles the line of feeling like an over-rich dessert at times with the amber, goopy animalic honey and balmy florals (this is also why I love VIP so much, because it does away with the honey). Gentleman has that nice zingy Russian leather note and lets the patchouli breathe a little better.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Floris

Thank you for posting the link and for the brilliant insights about this fragrance.

Have been lucky enough to find and discover this fragrance and even if a bit off-topic (since the current version personally owned is most likely not vintage), agreeing that this one is indeed a great bargain of unusually good performance in nearly any formulation and quite easy to get at bargain prices as well.

I know of a 80% full 4oz bottle sitting on a shelf for a very small sum. The color of the juice is a dark amber as opposed to the green in current versions. I thinking I need to grab this.

Great stuff! Just caused me to buy another full set on the bay! I love this fragrance in the fall and winter months. I will always have it.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    That is my bottle

Am I famous now?
    Yes! You are famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    The vintage is stupendous stuff. Anyone know if it had real ambergris? I'm always blown away by the depth of the amber in this. And yes, quite a bit more moss than you'd think at first.

The Gentleman comparisons can be a bit of a stretch once you really get to know both vintages. IMO Gentleman is a much smarter, more put together fragrance. Giorgio straddles the line of feeling like an over-rich dessert at times with the amber, goopy animalic honey and balmy florals (this is also why I love VIP so much, because it does away with the honey). Gentleman has that nice zingy Russian leather note and lets the patchouli breathe a little better.
    +1

I've always had difficulty with this comparison. Both are great fragrances!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk