Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your Favorite Solid Perfumes

I've been doing a lot more traveling since I got my new job in March, and I'm in the market for a solid perfume for work trips. I'm not actually in the market for anything specific, so I thought I'd consult the Basenotes wisdom for things to test.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Your Favorite Solid Perfumes

Only one I've tried more than once is my wife's Philosykos Solid Perfume by Diptyque which I liked but for some reason smelled better on my wife in this form.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've tried a few... Didn't like the Fulton & Ruark ones. But I do like an organic Australian sandalwood called NZ Fusion Botanicals Australian Sandalwood. It's not as sophisticated as a multilayered liquid cologne... But it's a nice scent, and I was complimented on it. You can get it from Amazon...inexpensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Original Bottega Veneta (which I think you like? but don't remember for sure) comes in a solid perfume compact. I've been watching out for a bargain on it, since it's little bit pricey at $56 for 5 grams -- but it does come with a very nice leather container.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottega-Venet.../dp/B00C08ZQY0

There aren't very many. One brand that does is Lush. Favorite include Breath of God and Smuggler's soul (vetivers) as well as Dirty (minty).
    Other than that, Diptyque comes to mind, as suggested by hednic. But they don't have the whole line in solids.

Freed from BN Institution

Remember the Aftelier sample pass not too long ago? I did enjoy the bergamoss sample quite a bit from the solids that I tried.

I also tried Jasmine which was also good. On the other hand Orchid and Wildflowers were not as good as I recalled.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    There aren't very many. One brand that does is Lush. Favorite include Breath of God and Smuggler's soul (vetivers) as well as Dirty (minty).
    Other than that, Diptyque comes to mind, as suggested by hednic. But they don't have the whole line in solids.
    I tried a few of the Lush ones in the Chicago area this past weekend. They were pretty impressive! I put on Smuggler’s Soul, Vanillary, and Lust. Lust was impressive and strong and lasted about 5 hours, but I got a burning sensation and redness from it that lasted the first 30 minutes (I was disappointed). Vanillary was too much caramel/toffee/tonka. (I put it on because I could barely smell it in the store and I always think I will like vanillas, though this is actually rarely true.) It lasted well enough, but was way too sweet. Smuggler’s Soul was linear and nice and inoffensive and soapy and I got Australian sandal from it. I didn’t try the Breath if God or Dirty because I was out of time and skin real estate, but they seemed impressive in spray form on the blotter. I also need to try Karma because I love a good citrus patch. I need to explore these more. I thought they would have Rose Jam in a solid, but they didn’t. Of the ones I tried, Smuggler’s Soul was the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I've tried a few... Didn't like the Fulton & Ruark ones. But I do like an organic Australian sandalwood called NZ Fusion Botanicals Australian Sandalwood. It's not as sophisticated as a multilayered liquid cologne... But it's a nice scent, and I was complimented on it. You can get it from Amazon...inexpensive

I really enjoy sandalwood. Sounds promising; thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Original Bottega Veneta (which I think you like? but don't remember for sure) comes in a solid perfume compact. I've been watching out for a bargain on it, since it's little bit pricey at $56 for 5 grams -- but it does come with a very nice leather container.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottega-Venet.../dp/B00C08ZQY0
    I do remember liking that one. I used up a sample, as I recall. Floral leather. Let me know if you find a deal. $56 seems pricey, but Le Labo’s are almost twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Remember the Aftelier sample pass not too long ago? I did enjoy the bergamoss sample quite a bit from the solids that I tried.

I also tried Jasmine which was also good. On the other hand Orchid and Wildflowers were not as good as I recalled.
    I wish I had tried the Jasmine. The Bergamoss (the only solid in my pass) was gorgeous, but for that price I was hoping for much greater longevity. It only lasted me an hour. So pretty, though!!! Thanks for reminding me of those. I wonder if she ever does mini solids?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Only one I've tried more than once is my wife's Philosykos Solid Perfume by Diptyque which I liked but for some reason smelled better on my wife in this form.
    I was wondering about these. I was hoping they had Eau Duelle or Tam Dao in solid.

Do you find it lasts a long time on Mrs. Hednic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post

I wish I had tried the Jasmine. The Bergamoss (the only solid in my pass) was gorgeous, but for that price I was hoping for much greater longevity. It only lasted me an hour. So pretty, though!!! Thanks for reminding me of those. I wonder if she ever does mini solids?
    Yes she does. She sells 1/4 ml samples for $7 each.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Le Labo carries solids too. They carry Santal 33 and Bergamot 22 along with the others in solid perfume form. Never seen them in this form though. $94 for each solid, $78 for the refills.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I'm tempted to get the Lush Dirty solid perfume.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Diptyque do quite a few in solid form.

I own Eau Duelle. Their packaging is really heavy and you get a little grey pouch. I thought because of no alcohol the solid would be very different but it's not smooth dirty vanilla. I call Eau Duelle as one of the softer style fragrances from Diptyque haven't worn mine in a while but from memory got 5 hours perhaps more from it.

Diptyque also does a roll on oil version of a number of their fragrances too. I was very impressed by L'Ombre Dans
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Smart by Andrea Maack

Blog Entries

l'm not generally a fan of solids; you have to use them up quite quickly as they tend to dry out & lose their scent after a year or two. But l do have Smuggler's Soul in this form as it was given to me as a gift, & having tried this one in all its forms l'd say the solid is the most balanced version of this perfume.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin Full by Montale

Blog Entries

I prefer Beardbrand Spiced Citrus Solid Cologne.Beardbrand already knew a thing or two about ambrosial oils and waxes, and their solid cologne builds on that momentum with impeccable precision. Spiced Citrus Solid Cologne is an all natural product bursting with notes of grapefruit, clove and vanilla. Pair it with some proper beard oil and rock a fresh, uniform scent all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm not generally a fan of solids; you have to use them up quite quickly as they tend to dry out & lose their scent after a year or two. But l do have Smuggler's Soul in this form as it was given to me as a gift, & having tried this one in all its forms l'd say the solid is the most balanced version of this perfume.
    I've had the NZ Botanical sandalwood for a couple years... It's still moist/oily and smells the same. It's held up well.

A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Glossier makes a lovely solid for "You" - I use it almost everyday. Container is very cute (and super sturdy). https://www.glossier.com/products/glossier-you-solid

In the past a lovely BNer sent me a solid for Joy. It's lovely and very high quality.

Boucheron also used to make a solid that I quite like.

Le Labo's are decent, but pricey.

My personal favorite solid is Oud Louban by Aftelier Perfumes.
    SOLID-OudLuban-2T.jpg

Not surprising, but the best solid I've tried is Aftelier's Fir solid. Fir absolute is my very favorite smell in the world, and this solid is like a jammy fir resin symphony.
    Currently wearing: Sélection Verte by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Mid Seventies, I wore Rive Gauche Perfume Solid, mostly as an Underarm Deodorant. It's Rosey Metalized Sandalwood accord, is stuck in my mind, Sublime.

Most recent, is Bergamot Oakmoss. It comes off on me, as Sweetgrass "Tobacco". Medicinal and Spiritual.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm tempted to get the Lush Dirty solid perfume.
    Me, too!

Also, Smuggler’s Soul. It was really subtle, though. I’m also wondering about that NZ Botanical one Juxtapozbliss recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Diptyque do quite a few in solid form.

I own Eau Duelle. Their packaging is really heavy and you get a little grey pouch. I thought because of no alcohol the solid would be very different but it's not smooth dirty vanilla. I call Eau Duelle as one of the softer style fragrances from Diptyque haven't worn mine in a while but from memory got 5 hours perhaps more from it.

Diptyque also does a roll on oil version of a number of their fragrances too. I was very impressed by L'Ombre Dans
    I really wish they were still doing Eau Duelle. Reasonably priced, simple... and the EDT was on my wishlist for a long while. I may explore the others.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Good notes on Smuggler’s Soul. I did not test the spray. Do you remember which solids have dried out for you? I’d like to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sujan Azad Parikh View Post
    I prefer Beardbrand Spiced Citrus Solid Cologne.Beardbrand already knew a thing or two about ambrosial oils and waxes, and their solid cologne builds on that momentum with impeccable precision. Spiced Citrus Solid Cologne is an all natural product bursting with notes of grapefruit, clove and vanilla. Pair it with some proper beard oil and rock a fresh, uniform scent all day long.
    That sounds like something I might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I've had the NZ Botanical sandalwood for a couple years... It's still moist/oily and smells the same. It's held up well.

Great! And it isn’t expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Glossier makes a lovely solid for "You" - I use it almost everyday. Container is very cute (and super sturdy). https://www.glossier.com/products/glossier-you-solid

In the past a lovely BNer sent me a solid for Joy. It's lovely and very high quality.

Boucheron also used to make a solid that I quite like.

Le Labo's are decent, but pricey.
    Thanks for the tip on Glossier; I’ll check them out. Le Labo ones are not anywhere to test. Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My personal favorite solid is Oud Louban by Aftelier Perfumes.
    SOLID-OudLuban-2T.jpg
    That one wasn’t part of my pass, but it sounds like it’s well-loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Not surprising, but the best solid I've tried is Aftelier's Fir solid. Fir absolute is my very favorite smell in the world, and this solid is like a jammy fir resin symphony.
    That sounds like a really transporting sort of fragrance. I’m hearing so many good things about Mandy’s other solids! All I’ve tried was Bergamoss, but outside of rather poor longevity, I was really impressed with the overall scent and texture. $240 is a lot to spend on a solid, though.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Mid Seventies, I wore Rive Gauche Perfume Solid, mostly as an Underarm Deodorant. It's Rosey Metalized Sandalwood accord, is stuck in my mind, Sublime.

Most recent, is Bergamot Oakmoss. It comes off on me, as Sweetgrass "Tobacco". Medicinal and Spiritual.
    I can almost imagine Rive Gauche in a solid.

Who makes your Bergamot Oakmoss?

So you tried Smuggler's soul solid? The spray is definitely more than linear and inoffensive. It's very vivid with vetiver and a touch of fruits, over woods. But I noticed that things are more subdued in the solids. For instance, Breath of God spray is vetiver + pretty strong smoke. However, the solid is mostly fresh vetiver, the smoke comes out only with high temperatures (eg when one sweats). I wonder if the same is true of other solids.

Lust is potent and aggressive, I can see why one might be disturbed. Vanillary is nice but nothing special for me either. Karma is nice too, but in the patch department I prefer the newer Rentless, soft patch with spices.

Not surprising to see all the love for Aftelier solids! They are really lovely. Bergamoss would be my very top pick for a solid perfume. Expensive but it wore so beautifully I think it's well worth it.

On the more budget friendly end, I like Pacifica. French Lilac is my favorite, though there have been several I liked. I'd say most of their scents are comparable to Aqua Allegorias in style, so nice for this time of year. The packaging is not too large and they're inexpensive enough to not feel badly if they would go off.

Also, some (all?) of the Chances were available in solid form; possibly still are. I like solids for the reasons you mentioned; great thread!
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

I don't really know many solid fragrances to be perfectly honest, but I picked up one a couple years ago from C.O. Bigelow here in NYC and it was by this company called The Soap & Paper Factory. The scent I picked up was a tobacco one that was interesting, but it doesn't look like they have it as part of their collection anymore. It did't last very long at all though, but it was less than $20.

http://www.soapandpaperfactory.com/b...fragrance.html
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    I don't really know many solid fragrances to be perfectly honest, but I picked up one a couple years ago from C.O. Bigelow here in NYC and it was by this company called The Soap & Paper Factory. The scent I picked up was a tobacco one that was interesting, but it doesn't look like they have it as part of their collection anymore. It did't last very long at all though, but it was less than $20.

http://www.soapandpaperfactory.com/b...fragrance.html
    Was it Pipe? Because I think I saw it at smallflower.com.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Yes she does. She sells 1/4 ml samples for $7 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Not surprising to see all the love for Aftelier solids! They are really lovely. Bergamoss would be my very top pick for a solid perfume. Expensive but it wore so beautifully I think it's well worth it.

On the more budget friendly end, I like Pacifica. French Lilac is my favorite, though there have been several I liked. I'd say most of their scents are comparable to Aqua Allegorias in style, so nice for this time of year. The packaging is not too large and they're inexpensive enough to not feel badly if they would go off.

Also, some (all?) of the Chances were available in solid form; possibly still are. I like solids for the reasons you mentioned; great thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post

I think my local health food store has those Pacifica solids. I might check them out this weekend.

I do seem to remember some Chance solids. The only one I am fond of is Eau Vive.

I might need to order some of Mandy’s samples.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So you tried Smuggler's soul solid? The spray is definitely more than linear and inoffensive. It's very vivid with vetiver and a touch of fruits, over woods. But I noticed that things are more subdued in the solids. For instance, Breath of God spray is vetiver + pretty strong smoke. However, the solid is mostly fresh vetiver, the smoke comes out only with high temperatures (eg when one sweats). I wonder if the same is true of other solids.

Lust is potent and aggressive, I can see why one might be disturbed. Vanillary is nice but nothing special for me either. Karma is nice too, but in the patch department I prefer the newer Rentless, soft patch with spices.
    I only put on solids, right. Except Lust, which I tried in both. I like Jasmine. But y is aggressive and gave me a small burning rash in solid form, which I think was actually stronger than liquid!

I may need to order some wash cards to sample Rentless, Dirty, Karma, Sikkim Girls... I have a liquid sample of Breath of God I’ve been saving for the Turin Quest (thanks to you). Might have to break it out early.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Was it Pipe? Because I think I saw it at smallflower.com.
    It was definitely Pipe!
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Blog Entries

Juniper Ridge

Big Sur Trail Resin Cologne

This one is like a top-down drive: Beeswax and jojoba oil hold together the bark, root, and soil distillations, as well as tree sap and lichen infusions.