Code of Conduct
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default First and Second Versions of Givenchy Gentleman

Gentlemen.jpg

I'm on my second day of comparing my bottles of Givenchy Gentleman. What I believe is the first version is on the left (with "France" included on the front) and what I believe is the second version is on the right.

They seem similar to me. The original seems a little stronger and woodier at first, and might smell slightly more natural. The second version seems to have better longevity, and might smell slightly more modern.

The simple explanation would be that the second version has a new fixative that makes it evaporate more slowly.

The second version seems to hold onto the top notes better, which creates a feeling of being more floral, although no floral notes are listed. It could be the listed top notes of tarragon and cinnamon creating the effect that's striking me as floral.

I'll update the thread if I notice more differences. Givenchy Gentleman is my favorite fragrance at the moment. The second version bottle is fairly new to me, so I could notice more differences with more wearings. The original has a way of smelling absolutely incredible in the base, with a warm animalic smell. I have not noticed any of that missing from the second version, but I'll keep looking.

Default Re: First and Second Versions of Givenchy Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Gentlemen.jpg

I'm on my second day of comparing my bottles of Givenchy Gentleman. What I believe is the first version is on the left (with "France" included on the front) and what I believe is the second version is on the right.

They seem similar to me. The original seems a little stronger and woodier at first, and might smell slightly more natural. The second version seems to have better longevity, and might smell slightly more modern.

The simple explanation would be that the second version has a new fixative that makes it evaporate more slowly.

The second version seems to hold onto the top notes better, which creates a feeling of being more floral, although no floral notes are listed. It could be the listed top notes of tarragon and cinnamon creating the effect that's striking me as floral.

I'll update the thread if I notice more differences. Givenchy Gentleman is my favorite fragrance at the moment. The second version bottle is fairly new to me, so I could notice more differences with more wearings. The original has a way of smelling absolutely incredible in the base, with a warm animalic smell. I have not noticed any of that missing from the second version, but I'll keep looking.
    Do you also find a prominent vetiver note in the first version that is somewhat similar to vintage Givenchy Vetyver?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Do you also find a prominent vetiver note in the first version that is somewhat similar to vintage Givenchy Vetyver?
    I haven't tried Givenchy Vetyver. Whatever vetiver note is in the first version would seemingly be equal in the second version. I don't know that I could tell the two versions apart without waiting for the dry down when the first version fades away and the second version has a lingering fixative/synthetic smell.

Dependent

IMG_3371.JPG

Bavard, I have the same feeling that there is a very slight difference of smell between the bottle on the left and the other two but I am unable to clearly describe this difference ... If I have to say which one I prefer, it's the left one but the gap between both is minimum (to my nose).
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

That's great news. I always wanted to try the very first version of Gentleman, but I'm very satisfied with what I already own.