Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you check the fill level of opaque or solid perfume bottles?

I found a new perfume shop in my area - They have some good stuff and some vintage looking stuff (hard to find bottles). Some of the colognes that I want to buy, though, are solid or opaque. Before I buy from a place that I don't know, I want to make sure that the fragrances are full. Does anyone have any ideas how to check this?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How do you check the fill level of opaque or solid perfume bottles?

Use a strong flashlight and hold it up to the bottle in a dark room or environment to check level.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If the bottle feels light, and it's a favorite fragrance, that means buy another bottle immediately. Just ask any Basenoter.

Missing Oakmoss

The "slosh" test works pretty well for me, and must sometimes be resorted to when a bottle is too dark for a flashlight beam to penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    The "slosh" test works pretty well for me, and must sometimes be resorted to when a bottle is too dark for a flashlight beam to penetrate.
    Is that the test to determine the condensation level of the bottle (beading level) after it has been removed from the refrigerator?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Is that the test to determine the condensation level of the bottle (beading level) after it has been removed from the refrigerator?
    No, it's just the casual tip-the-bottle-back-and-forth-and-see-how-full-it-feels test.

No, it's just the casual tip-the-bottle-back-and-forth-and-see-how-full-it-feels test.
    Thanks for the reply. Had never heard of that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Use a strong flashlight and hold it up to the bottle in a dark room or environment to check level.
    This

Basenotes Plus

A convenient method which I use from time to time. But I’m not the type to lose sleep over a few missing sprays.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

I wouldn't lose sleep over a few missing sprays either, but buying a rare expensive fragrance I want to be sure I'm not paying for an empty bottle. Flashlight doesn't always work, sadly.
    On some forums people weigh opaque bottles and estimate the amount of perfume inside by the formula Volume = Mass / Density, knowing the weight of the empty or brand new unused bottle. I'm not sure if that's ok to add links to other sites here, and I wouldn't want to copy information from other sites without their permission either, but feel free to drop me a line if you are interested in it.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Woman by Amouage

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I haven't seen every bottle ever made, but I've personally never run into a bottle that a flashlight or strong light bulb wouldn't reveal the level.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Most likely the above mentioned techniques will work, but if not you can weigh the bottle, subtracting the weight of an empty bottle from the total.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

I've just spent like 15 min in the dark bathroom with several flashlights trying to see the level of Lady Vengeance JHaG, either I'm completely blind, or flashlight doesn't work for me, though some people claim they can see the perfume level in these bottles. I even had to scratch off the paint around the nozzle, if I look around that area I can estimate the level very approximately without flashlight. Unless the bottle is scratched off I can't imagine how anyone can see anything there. The same about L'Agent AP, many Narciso Rodriguez bottles and many others.
    Not to mention that the original fill level varies greatly for many perfumes - Majda Bekkali 100ml, Nu YSL etc.
    Like right now I'm harassing several fragrance forums about Nu YSL EDP. I bought a bottle on eBay as new, but after removing the case it looks like the bottle is half full. So had I known the perfume bottle weight, I could estimate the original fill level of the perfume, whether it was completely full or not.
    I wouldn't want to leave negative feedback for the seller unless I'm absolutely sure it's not the original fill level.
    Yes, it takes a bit or patience and math, but it's totally worth it.

Dark room. The flash light on my cell phone works well as it fits flush to the bottle. You need to couple the light to bottle so it does not to shine any light to the eye or room. If you have to scrape the finish try the back bottom / edge, turn upside down and look for level.
    This keeps the visible presentation of the bottle intact.

The exception to this in my collection is Givenchy Gentleman Parfum. This one is a mystery.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Go by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    I've just spent like 15 min in the dark bathroom with several flashlights trying to see the level of Lady Vengeance JHaG, either I'm completely blind, or flashlight doesn't work for me, though some people claim they can see the perfume level in these bottles. I even had to scratch off the paint around the nozzle, if I look around that area I can estimate the level very approximately without flashlight. Unless the bottle is scratched off I can't imagine how anyone can see anything there. The same about L'Agent AP, many Narciso Rodriguez bottles and many others.
    Not to mention that the original fill level varies greatly for many perfumes - Majda Bekkali 100ml, Nu YSL etc.
    Like right now I'm harassing several fragrance forums about Nu YSL EDP. I bought a bottle on eBay as new, but after removing the case it looks like the bottle is half full. So had I known the perfume bottle weight, I could estimate the original fill level of the perfume, whether it was completely full or not.
    I wouldn't want to leave negative feedback for the seller unless I'm absolutely sure it's not the original fill level.
    Yes, it takes a bit or patience and math, but it's totally worth it.
    Indeed like 'Next' just said! Just do the scratching on the bottom of the bottle and then look sideways through it, having a firm light just behind the top of the bottle. Very easy to see how much juice is left this way and no harm done to the visible sides of the bottle; always worked for me.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Just do the scratching on the bottom of the bottle and then look sideways through it, having a firm light just behind the top of the bottle. Very easy to see how much juice is left this way and no harm done to the visible sides of the bottle; always worked for me.
    I wrote this also in the confession thread, couple of months ago, Post #800

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/416...-thread/page27
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Next, Slayerized Yay! It worked! Thanks a lot!
    Though now I wonder what the original fill line in JHaG is. It looks a lot less than what I expected.

I wrote this also in the confession thread, couple of months ago, Post #800

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/416...-thread/page27

Quote Originally Posted by lilioka View Post
    Next, Slayerized Yay! It worked! Thanks a lot!
    Though now I wonder what the original fill line in JHaG is. It looks a lot less than what I expected.
    Good to see it helped you!!
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

X-ray.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Dependent

Originally Posted by Slayerized
    Just do the scratching on the bottom of the bottle and then look sideways through it, having a firm light just behind the top of the bottle. Very easy to see how much juice is left this way and no harm done to the visible sides of the bottle; always worked for me.

Usually a normal desklamp + bottle close up ,i.e, TF Black Orchid
    For opaque)ish) bottles - i.e VCAPH - a stronger LED torch does the trick. Sometimes it can be so dark and you have to gently rock it to see any movement in level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Usually a normal desklamp + bottle close up ,i.e, TF Black Orchid
    For opaque)ish) bottles - i.e VCAPH - a stronger LED torch does the trick. Sometimes it can be so dark and you have to gently rock it to see any movement in level.
    Exactly but the scratching is when the torch trick does not work or when you do not own one.
    (I did it for e.g. my VCAPH bottles by the way as my phone led and another heavy light both did not work and I did not own the 'stronger led torch')
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Fully signed up to the shake method.

For selling, I'd 'guess' based on a combination of shaking, weighing/putting up the weight in the listing, and knowing how much I used.

Some bottles definitely don't work with a torch. As mentioned, the Narciso Rodriguez bottles.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Fully signed up to the shake method.

For selling, I'd 'guess' based on a combination of shaking, weighing/putting up the weight in the listing, and knowing how much I used.

Some bottles definitely don't work with a torch. As mentioned, the Narciso Rodriguez bottles.
    Only shaking (without having weighted) can be very misleading thinking a half full bottle feels like 'full' as you feel a lot of juice going back and forth.......
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Exactly but the scratching is when the torch trick does not work or when you do not own one.
    (I did it for e.g. my VCAPH bottles by the way as my phone led and another heavy light both did not work and I did not own the 'stronger led torch')
    Yikes I'm not sure I could being myself to strip a bottle down, even the bottom!

Only shaking (without having weighted) can be very misleading thinking a half full bottle feels like 'full' as you feel a lot of juice going back and forth.......
    Agree, misleading! Cumulative experience, bottle weight also factors in. Sometimes I've shook something (Lalique White ) and thought it's a goner and then still get 30ml from the bottle.

You can also put your ear up to it.

Not really. Not in my experience. Of course it doesn't help if a totally opaque bottle is only 75% filled when "full", of course, but I think it's relatively easy to get a rough idea of how much is left (a quarter, half, two quarters etc).
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Just shaking didn't work for me. I thought Lady Vengeance was almost full, after scratching realized it's just a bit more than half full. Thought L'Agent was nearly empty, scratched it big time with scissors all over the bottle just to find out it was half full. What a pleasure to behold an abused bottle for another year or maybe two. Ahem.