Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default 2 vintage frag questions

Hi guys. SO new to the vintage game, and I've two questions:

1. I'm interested in buying vintage splash Chanel Pour Monsieur, and see it often on ebay--even in sealed boxes. Being a citrus scent, do you think it's safe to make a purchase like this given that citrus notes can turn?

2. Recently bought and received 2 bottles of vintage splash aramis. They both have what I believe are batch codes on the bottom (not a stickers) .One has code HP4 in raised glass on the bottom. The other has A62C in what looks like blue ink.

For the bottle with the HP4, Cosmetic checker said code is not supported or correct. The other, with the code A62C, Cosmetic checker says it was manufactured n June of 2012.

Since both bottles are splash, and say Cologne and made in New York, I question whether the A62C bottle was made that recently. BTW, the HP4 bottle is darker in color, and performs better--absolutely beautiful juice--like I remember from back in the day. The other, while better than current iterations, is not as nice IMO as the other.

Do you think either or both of these contain oakmoss? About what year did they start putting actual stickers on the bottom of bottles? Am trying to guess approximately when these were made. Thank you guys!

Stephen

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: 2 vintage frag questions

Quote Originally Posted by pippin06 View Post
    I'm interested in buying vintage splash Chanel Pour Monsieur, and see it often on ebay--even in sealed boxes. Being a citrus scent, do you think it's safe to make a purchase like this given that citrus notes can turn?
    If it is sealed and has never been used and the vendor has stored it properly, I think it should be safe. Of course there is no 100% guarantee.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Recently bought and received 2 bottles of vintage splash aramis. They both have what I believe are batch codes on the bottom (not a stickers) .One has code HP4 in raised glass on the bottom. The other has A62C in what looks like blue ink.
    I think "HP" molded into the glass means you're looking at a bottle that was manufactured by Pochet et du Courval. "HP" is their trademark.

1. nothing is ever safe in niche. As hednic was saying, if it has been stored properly it should be ok, but there is always a risk that it hasn't.
    2. I don't know about the batches, but 2012 is after the oakmoss restrictions, so a product from that year will probably contain less of it than previous ones. I haven't followed Aramis to know how exactly it changed since the restrictions.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Hi guys. SO new to the vintage game, and I've two questions:

1. I'm interested in buying vintage splash Chanel Pour Monsieur, and see it often on ebay--even in sealed boxes. Being a citrus scent, do you think it's safe to make a purchase like this given that citrus notes can turn?

2. Recently bought and received 2 bottles of vintage splash aramis. They both have what I believe are batch codes on the bottom (not a stickers) .One has code HP4 in raised glass on the bottom. The other has A62C in what looks like blue ink.

For the bottle with the HP4, Cosmetic checker said code is not supported or correct. The other, with the code A62C, Cosmetic checker says it was manufactured n June of 2012.

Since both bottles are splash, and say Cologne and made in New York, I question whether the A62C bottle was made that recently. BTW, the HP4 bottle is darker in color, and performs better--absolutely beautiful juice--like I remember from back in the day. The other, while better than current iterations, is not as nice IMO as the other.

Do you think either or both of these contain oakmoss? About what year did they start putting actual stickers on the bottom of bottles? Am trying to guess approximately when these were made. Thank you guys!

Stephen
    It is often said that Vintage Citrus scents can turn. It's a bit of a Pig in a Poke. I have certainly come across a few that have had the Alcohol turn to an Acetone note. However, after that burns off what are left intact ( for me)are the Heart and certainly Basenotes.
    Most often the Citrus has simply faded and sweetened.

With Pour Monsieur, 1992 was the beginning of Oakmoss reductions, after a decade of liberal doses. Newer Fixatives took over and the Heart and Base notes have become less complex.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ultima II by Ultima II