Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Open Discussion on Bleu de Chanel Parfum

Now that the new parfum version has been out for a bit, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on it. I personally love it and think it's probably the best release this year. I love the EDT, not a fan of the EDP, but the parfum takes Bleu to a whole new level. I get a smooth, woody smell with Bleu's DNA all over it. I also pick up on the citrus and floral. Pure magic. Longevity for me is off the charts, with sillage just right--not in your face but very subtle. To me, that's Chanel quality through and through. I find some similarity with ADG Profumo. I guess that's the geranium I'm picking up. The sandalwood provides a smooth, creamy, and slightly smoky vibe. Again, would love to know how you guys interrupt it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Open Discussion on Bleu de Chanel Parfum

Love it. The best of the three versions for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

A bit too woody for me. I prefer the EdT and EdP versions.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    too woody? Sounds just right. Too much wood is never enough. I’ll have to sample this. So far the EdT is my favorite.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

It's a nicer version of the idea of Bleu de Chanel, smooth and rich without any of the harshness of the EdT. It's probably the best mainstream 'fresh and dark' perfume together with Acqua di Gio Profumo. Infinitely better compared to some other nasty stuff like Aqua Atlantique or Y. Best release of 2018? That's debatable, and 2018 isn't over yet.

Though, it's absolutely nothing compared to stuff like vintage Patou pour Homme, Ferre for Man, Davidoff or Insense (and one can buy the latter three for much less than this).

It's better than most in Chanel's men's lineup, but not Antaeus, Egoiste or Pour Monsieur.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Wore it last night, it’s a pleasant wear and smells nice but the dry down is where I lost interest. It doesn’t have as nice of a dry down as EDT and EDP to me, it has a odd brighter dry down that smelled off and non pleasing to my nose. I’m sticking with the EDT and EDP both smell great, perform great for me. They have a nicer dry down that isn’t as bright and off putting for me.
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

The best of the BDC line with the EDP an extremely close second. The EDT is too harsh on my skin

Why is Chanel using Bowie's Starman track on the advert?

Oh-- I actually prefer the original and I don't like that very much

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love it. The best of the three versions for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    too woody? Sounds just right. Too much wood is never enough. I’ll have to sample this. So far the EdT is my favorite.
    Yeah, around here, the only kind of "too woody" is "too much norlimbanol" (fake wood).

The improved response from BNers compared to that for most major designer releases almost makes me think Chanel threw the hardcore perfume lovers a bone! Yeah, Chanel had to keep it mainstreamish and "Bleu", but within that constraint, they let Olivier give serious perfumeheads some serious perfume.

Very much looking forward to testing this one!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Why is Chanel using Bowie's Starman track on the advert?

Oh-- I actually prefer the original and I don't like that very much
    Right, I thought the choice of song was a little strange (but love the song). The original ad was way better.

Btw, just curious in this context - are you Liam Gallagher?
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah, around here, the only kind of "too woody" is "too much norlimbanol" (fake wood).

The improved response from BNers compared to that for most major designer releases almost makes me think Chanel threw the hardcore perfume lovers a bone! Yeah, Chanel had to keep it mainstreamish and "Bleu", but within that constraint, they let Olivier give serious perfumeheads some serious perfume.

I should have added the caveat that I only tested this on card, not on skin. However, I might get something from Chanel in 1-2 months or so - something fresh. I would be considering Bel Respiro and Pour Monsieur, but based on that card test Bleu de Chanel Parfum has entered the mix.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

There are about 7 pages of thoughts on the other thread.

It's what I expected it to be - a derivative of the EDC and EDP - but with the hushed projection of a parfum (less alcohol) with the expected longevity. It's fresh while woody with a smoother sandalwood on dry down than the others in my humble opinion.

Will it be for everybody? No. Did it break new ground? No. Will it appeal to the Chanel Bleu de Chanel fans of the EDC or EDP? Not in all cases. But it fits perfectly into a location that resolved the brightness of the EDC (almost harsh in warmer weather) and the muddled middle notes of the EDP. This hits a good balance without radically changing the Bleu de Chanel DNA.

Worth a try, not for all. But I'm a fan.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

while I haven’t tested it out, I suspect that I don’t mind norlimbanol. I may even enjoy it. I know for sure that I love Iso E Super, even though it brings almost instant anosmia.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

Tried it again today. It has a bit of sweetness - a generic woody amber sweetness, which I do not like. Still, it is definitely smoother and more refined than the EdT.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Yes, too much wood. Maybe it would work better for me if the name was Bois de Chanel. As it stands, there’s not much “bleu” going on with this one. Wood notes do not connote bleu, in my book.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

while I haven’t tested it out, I suspect that I don’t mind norlimbanol. I may even enjoy it. I know for sure that I love Iso E Super, even though it brings almost instant anosmia.
    I've figured out that I actually like a mixture of guaiac wood and norlimbanol! Like many things, people's reaction to norlimbanol ultimately depends on how it's used. And yes - I love Iso E Super, too!

Basenotes Junkie

Am tempted to try it, but will not simply because it is sure to become extremely popular. Have no doubt though that it is a great fragrance, and sounds like it is likely their best based on above comments about being woody--a quality I do like. The non-conformist in me just won't allow this one into my modest wardrobe. Will stick with the likes of
    Pour Monsieur and Egoiste from this house.

I'm really digging the BDC Parfum in a big way. I just love the cedary and grapefruit aspects to it. Longevity to me is off the charts--12+ hours. It doesn't project like a mofo, but just the right amount. I personally don't like frags to be too loud, so this is just right. Bravo to Chanel for releasing this. Oh, and to me, this is completely different from the EDP. I own the EDT--probably my signature scent--and I definitely think it's a good addition to the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Tried it again today. It has a bit of sweetness - a generic woody amber sweetness, which I do not like. Still, it is definitely smoother and more refined than the EdT.
    Finally tried it on skin last week. Too much woods, some ambery sweetness, not much fresh. Definitely different from the EdT.

I needed a modern, fresh, 'masculine', mainstream scent but Acqua di Gio Profumo has filled that niche in my wardrobe.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Yeah, dig the Parfum. The EDT is a real swiss army knife for me, and the Parfum is a nice variation on the theme. It's worth mentioning that I don't have the EDP, so perhaps the Parfum's utility is weighted differently for me as opposed to someone who already has the EDT & EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin06 View Post
    Am tempted to try it, but will not simply because it is sure to become extremely popular.
    It's not obvious to me that the Parfum will be extremely popular; mainly because it's not a projection monster but also because it's one of the most expensive men's Chanel frags and it's not easy to get around paying full retail for Chanel.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: 1270 by Frapin

I tend to agree with you on this. I think the steep price will keep many away from it, which is fine by me. I used to wear niche all the time because it felt exclusive. The parfum feels niche to me and is really well done. my girlfriend commented the other day how great I smelt, and that's after swimming in the pool and being in the sun for a few hours. Performance is on point with subtle projection. It's perfection in my opinion!!!!

It's not obvious to me that the Parfum will be extremely popular; mainly because it's not a projection monster but also because it's one of the most expensive men's Chanel frags and it's not easy to get around paying full retail for Chanel.[/QUOTE]

Hey fraggies, just wondering if anyone has the batch code for the BDC parfum. Also where is it etched on the bottle? Close to the sprayer or down by the bottom? I'm asking because I got one from ebay, which I payed a pretty penny for, and I need your help to determine whether I got bamboozled or if I got a deal. Thanks a million guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead35 View Post
    Hey fraggies, just wondering if anyone has the batch code for the BDC parfum. Also where is it etched on the bottle? Close to the sprayer or down by the bottom? I'm asking because I got one from ebay, which I payed a pretty penny for, and I need your help to determine whether I got bamboozled or if I got a deal. Thanks a million guys!
    It should be on the lower-center side of the back bottle. Should be a total of four digits. Mine starts with a 2.

How does it smell? Describe it.

I'm gathering from some of these comments that it's kind of boring, though probably of a better quality than the EDT. But what I like about the EDT are the fruity nuances and ginger that opens up, the mint that peeks out here and there, and the incense. The woody base is sort of....inevitable, but not intriguing.

The impression I'm taking from this thread is that these other aspects have become somewhat muted in favor of bolstering the base with a deeper, richer sandalwood. Is that about right?

While it sounds smoother (and admittedly, I find the EDT scratchy as hell sometimes) and more polished, it seems like it's missing the stuff that I enjoy most about the EDT.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

In this heat I’m just waiting for them to release Bleu de Chanel Cologne

I always picture a white bottle with light royal blue font, and a white cap kind of like L'Homme Ideal Cologne. I think they could make such a cool bottle for the cologne. And you know the "Cologne" is coming...it's inevitable. I just hope the bottle's cool because I've had this image in my mind for a while now.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Guerlain

Go with Allure Homme Sport Cologne. It's nice. I dislike most of the modern Chanel masculines, but love this one. Similar to Dior Homme Cologne, but more refined and definitely a better base.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The after-shave lotion (not the balm) is exactly that - a cologne version. Heavenly!

The after-shave lotion (not the balm) is exactly that - a cologne version. Heavenly!
    Is never considered the aftershave. Now my interest is piqued.