Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Heeley - Sel Marin (worth the money?)

If you like Sel Marin you need to try Cuir Pleine Fleur - a floral leather scent but structurally similar to Sel Marin.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    If you like Sel Marin you need to try Cuir Pleine Fleur - a floral leather scent but structurally similar to Sel Marin.
    I own and like them both, but, with exception of the name of the house they share as good as nothing...!

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...you must have horrible smelly feet...!
    Love your acrid comments they remind me the ones I receive from the Heroin Addicts I work with!
    Last edited by Francolino; 8th June 2018 at 06:38 AM.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I own and like them both, but, with exception of the name of the house they share as good as nothing...!
    Im with you on this. Apart from a certain diaphanous style, which is more the house style than anything else, these two have nothing in common to my nose.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

with the same money you can have better stuff instead of that scrubber!

I tried a sample and was kinda meh about it. I do love the bottle design though, so it was tempting to own it just for that reason. I'm starting to test Jo Malone's Wood Sage and Sea Salt today. I think this would certainly give Sel Marin a run for it's money. It's a bit cheaper, and it smells cleaner than Sel Marin, while still maintaining a natural aquatic vibe.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Syd57 View Post
    with the same money you can have better stuff instead of that scrubber!
    Yeah, a definite 'scrubber'.

There are 55 reviews of Sel Marin.

Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I tried a sample and was kinda meh about it. I do love the bottle design though, so it was tempting to own it just for that reason. I'm starting to test Jo Malone's Wood Sage and Sea Salt today. I think this would certainly give Sel Marin a run for it's money. It's a bit cheaper, and it smells cleaner than Sel Marin, while still maintaining a natural aquatic vibe.
    Yeah, it's light, clean, and inoffensive. Like most of Jo Malone's. And they didn't screw it up by adding some weird tropical fruity nonsense. A bit of the salty ocean breeze. I prefer the real brininess of Sel Marin, but the Jo Malone is quite ok.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Yeah, a definite 'scrubber'.

There are 55 reviews of Sel Marin.

so what ? 55 people are statistically insignificant, to me it stinks anyway!

Basenotes Plus

so what ? 55 people are statistically insignificant, to me it stinks anyway!
    Your sample size of 1 is even less significant.
    Most worn:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Your sample size of 1 is even less significant.
    it's my opinion anyway and it's more significant to me than yours !

definitely a scrubber!

55 people are statistically insignificant
    No they are not absolutely, though one could argue that this sample is biased.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

For what it's worth, parts of Toronto Eaton Centre uses an air freshener that smells very close to what Sel Marin smells via projection.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

No they are not absolutely, though one could argue that this sample is biased.
    exactly!

If you like it very much I guess it could be worth the money. It is many things to consider before a buy, and as you can see in this thread the opinions differ.

I personally did not care for it. It reminded me of Truefitt & Hill - 1805, if I remember correctly. Maybe that is a cheaper alternative to at least try.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Even if it is the best in a genre I don't feel the need to have it.
    Even if my review of this scent was positive I wouldn't buy it.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

In my opinion, 100%.

It's the best aquatic available. It has many realistic elements but still maintains a very fresh, clean and appealing smell. So in this sense I find it the perfect aquatic. The balance between realism and wearability is excellent. It also smells unique in comparison to a lot of aquatics. Aquatics tend to either smell "BLUE" with all these sort of synthetic 90's notes in them, or they tend to mimic AdG, with a heavy dose of an aromachemical like calone to convey a watery, aquatic texture. Sel Marin escapes this trap completely, and doesn't seem like an attempt to smell "blue" or to capture the essence of AdG. It wears very nicely in the summer too, so if you were to get it now it would be a great time for it.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    In my opinion, 100%.

It's the best aquatic available.
    I thought you'd say that for Millesime Imperial.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

So what website would be best to purchase this at? For the price

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    In my opinion, 100%.

It's the best aquatic available. It has many realistic elements but still maintains a very fresh, clean and appealing smell. So in this sense I find it the perfect aquatic.
    Could not have said it better myself. I'm actually expecting my bottle to arrive today.
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I thought you'd say that for Millesime Imperial.
    No. I don't like MI that much. I sold my bottle off a while ago. I think there are times when MI smells really nice, but others when it gets too sharp and metallic to be enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by yiannid View Post
    Could not have said it better myself. I'm actually expecting my bottle to arrive today.
    Enjoy!

still enjoying my second bottle

Darn all of you. The last time I tried this (it was a while ago) I remember it being very true-to-life marine notes to the point where I was getting a whole seaweed/fish association. After reading feedback here you've convinced me to give this one another go...I just blind bought a bottle.

I will say, ive revisited this and enjoy it more than when i first did. I think this is one of thosr fragrances that really can change depending on your mood/occasion/weather. Just wish theyd offer a smaller bottle, i would never go through 100 ml

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    The last time I tried this (it was a while ago) I remember it being very true-to-life marine notes to the point where I was getting a whole seaweed/fish association.
    I (and I'm sure most here) simply can't take that well known fishy smell in a fragrance. You know it when you smell it, and since there are so many here that love Sel Marin, I assume most are like me and don't get a fishy smell from it.

However, as a marine scent, it does have a definite seaweed/algae leaning to it, but that is in no way "fishy". I think a lot of people tend to associate algae and fishy smells as being the same, but they really aren't.

To me, although it has the noticeable algae note (which by itself doesn't sound very appealing either), the whole thing is blended so well with the lemon, bergamot, salt, vetiver, birch and cedar that the ultimate overall smell is quite appealing....at least to a lot of people. Somehow, the end result is a realistic marine scent, but not offensive. That's a hard trick to pull off, but Heeley does it very well.

The thing I love most about Sel Marin is what it dries down to a couple of hours later. It smells soooo good. Go back and smell your shirt the next day and you'll see SM in a whole new way.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Just returned from Amsterdam. Visited 3 excellent perfumes shops. Really had fun smelling hundreds and hundreds of fragrances.
    Sel Marin was one of the three I bought.

Darn all of you. The last time I tried this (it was a while ago) I remember it being very true-to-life marine notes to the point where I was getting a whole seaweed/fish association. After reading feedback here you've convinced me to give this one another go...I just blind bought a bottle..
    Right on.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Darn all of you. The last time I tried this (it was a while ago) I remember it being very true-to-life marine notes to the point where I was getting a whole seaweed/fish association. After reading feedback here you've convinced me to give this one another go...I just blind bought a bottle.
    This may not end well. For me, the algae note skillfully navigates that line between a realistic smell of the sea and rotting sea life. It works well for me, but I can totally get why it would be a scrubber that smells of dead fish to some people. Bulgari Aqua Marine is all rotting sea life for me, and I would not acquire it no matter how much hype it got on here.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada