Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
o
  1. #1
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    They both seem to be fairly well received but the former (Fiore) gets mentioned far less. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until I decided to browse the house's offerings. Each has least 15 reviews here with not a single negative and very few neutral (in other words, overwhelmingly positive).

    I have only sampled a few Profumum during a whirlwind day of sniffing so I have essentially zero familiarity with the house. There's always room for another distinctive take on amber in my wardrobe and these two sound worthy of attention.

    Anyone who has tried both care to compare and contrast the two? Do either remind you of other amber offerings or other fragrances in general? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    307,403

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Do either remind you of other amber offerings or other fragrances in general? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.
    Ambra Aurea which I tried on several occasions at Osswald's reminded me very much of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. Longevity was excellent. Have not tried the other one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Ambra Aurea which I tried on several occasions at Osswald's reminded me very much of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. Longevity was excellent. Have not tried the other one.
    Thanks hednic. Osswald is where I tried encountered Profumum too (great shop! Who doesn't love Josie?). Ambre Sultan is my favorite amber and one of the few fragrances that I consider being close to the perfection of a genre, so that sounds promising.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    22,022

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Not sure if you want feedback from those who have tried both or either one .....

    I used to have a sample of Fiore d'Ambra, which I did try but can't remember now particularly. I never wore it, and no longer have it so must have given it away.

    I have tried and worn Ambra Aurea on a few occasions (had a decant of it). Excellent scent. I don't think it's that similar to Ambre Sultan, as it doesn't have the herbal chops of Ambre Sultan. Otherwise, yes it is an amber accord that shares some common elements. It is refined and polished. It reminds me of a rustic version of Ambre 114 but with great depth. I am currently wearing (these days) Ambre Dore, and Ambre Dore reminds me of the amber elements of Ambra Aurea - a bit. I don't find any vanilla in Ambra Aurea, unlike some other ambers. It is resinous and somewhat incense-y. I don't think it would be redundant if one already has Ambre Sultan. I have mixed experiences with Profumum - excellent sillage and duration that comes from high concentration, but the compositions are simplistic. This prompted me to sell Acqua Viva and not buy Antico Caruso. However, I would argue that Ambra Aurea is one composition where everything works, and one gets bored of it no quicker than other ambers (Ambre Precieux, Ambre Fetiche, Ambre 114). It's not as interesting as Ambre Sultan, which is a personal favourite. However, it is close to Ambre Sultan and Ambra Mediterranea in terms of 'worth having'. I'm excluding Blue Amber as I haven't tried it properly (and in my experience Montales have been poorly reformulated), Amber Absolute (I haven't tried it but then it's Tom Ford so you know what I mean ...) and Ambre Narguile (lovely, but really a different kind of scent).

    I don't remember Fiore d'Ambra, but I don't think based on that wrist test I thought it to be something remarkable. The other point is that like all ambers Ambra Aurea has great tenacity, even better, but unlike several amber perfumes it also has excellent projection and sillage - more than Ambre Sultan (which is perfect for me but I am a 'thickhead' so never complain if something is too strong) and probably the same as that of Ambra Mediterranea.

  5. #5
    Dependent
    ILikePeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    T̛e̢x͡as͜
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Not sure I've tried the former, but I owned Ambra Aurea (and might re-acquire) which is freaking awesome, and strong stuff too. A sweet fragrance. I don't find it too/that similar to Ambre Sultan either, as I owned that too and got rid of it - don't care much for the smell. Ambra Aurea crushes it, to me.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

  6. #6
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Not sure if you want feedback from those who have tried both or either one.....
    Yes, absolutely! I welcome any and all. Thanks for the info. I really like Ambra Mediterranea, which I consider to be in the same family of ambers as the Lutens and Amber Absolute (darker, resinous ambers), which it sounds like Ambra Aurea falls into. I keep waffling on Mediterranea, it's almost too opulent for me to warrant a purchase - I sincerely found it distracting to wear. A good distraction, but distracting nonetheless.

    Painting with a broad brush, I consider there to be two main amber families - the resinous one described above, and the "golden" ambers (Amber Dore/Ambre Precieux, Ambre 114, Micallef Royal Amber, etc.). My preferences lean strongly towards the resinous/darker ones, which I usually find more dynamic and interesting. I am a fan Ambre Dore as well, although not as much as when I first purchased it (a typical story around here, and for me).

    I get your meaning about Narguile, I think of Mitzah in a similar way in that it's more "amberesque" than a true amber (I'd also put Ambre Russe, Camel, and to an extent, APLS in this category - it's a broad category). You might like the Tom Ford. I've felt meh about the vast majority of Private Blends I've tried but Amber Absolute is nicely done. Kind of like a boozier Ambra Sultan, fairly linear but plenty strong, and definitely longer-lasting than the Lutens, whose performance is the only drawback for me. Probably closer to Mediterranea in actual scent.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Not sure I've tried the former, but I owned Ambra Aurea (and might re-acquire) which is freaking awesome, and strong stuff too. A sweet fragrance. I don't find it too/that similar to Ambre Sultan either, as I owned that too and got rid of it - don't care much for the smell. Ambra Aurea crushes it, to me.
    Thanks! All this re-acquiring you're doing is making me hesitant to flesh out my sale thread and unload stuff, please stop

    Being very strong seems to be in almost every review of Ambra Aurea, that's promising. Fiore d'Ambra intrigues me because of the opium note. It's a wonderful smell and would love to see it paired with amber.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Fiore d'Ambra intrigues me because of the opium note. It's a wonderful smell and would love to see it paired with amber.
    Does anyone know what an opium note smells like? Are they referring to the smell of the actual narcotic substance, i.e. opium dens in the early 18-1900s, before pharma co-opted it? Don't know that I've never seen this note listed, other than Fiore d'Ambra.

    I've also been fascinated by both of these scents for some time, but never got around to sampling, so following this thread with interest.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  8. #8
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Does anyone know what an opium note smells like?
    I'll just say this: undergrad years were wild.

  9. #9
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    14,375
    Blog Entries
    101

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    As I recall Fiore d’Ambra had a flowery, almost salty sweetness. I personally didn’t care for it. It was sort of like caramel in a way. Just too sweet for me. Ambra Aurea ​was smoky and woody along with the amber. I bought it and love it for cold weather. This is a cling-on that lasts until the next day.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,592

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    If I owned an amber scent it would be AMBRA AUREA. Gorgeous, deep, long lasting, incense-y and threaded with (what smelled like) ambergris.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Thanks for calling these frags out...I just happened to place an order on Luckyscent so I requested a sample of Ambra Aurea.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  12. #12

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,506
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    lsoE, given your preference for darker, more resinous ambers, Ambra Aurea should be right up your street. And it isn't that similar to Amber Sultan as it lacks that herbal facet.
    l found Fiore d'Ambra to be much less satisfying, & more powdery than resinous.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    37,442

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    I didn't even know about Fiore d'Ambra until I read this thread.

    I like Ambra Aurea. But, alas, I never actually *wear* ambers a lot here in Miami, especially rich, thick ones like this one. But I would think you'd enjoy this one if you like that Profumi del Forte and the Tom Ford.

    Me, given a choice, I'd stick with Ambre Sultan.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood

  14. #14
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    If I owned an amber scent it would be AMBRA AUREA. Gorgeous, deep, long lasting, incense-y and threaded with (what smelled like) ambergris.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    As I recall Fiore d’Ambra had a flowery, almost salty sweetness. I personally didn’t care for it. It was sort of like caramel in a way. Just too sweet for me. Ambra Aurea ​was smoky and woody along with the amber. I bought it and love it for cold weather. This is a cling-on that lasts until the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lsoE, given your preference for darker, more resinous ambers, Ambra Aurea should be right up your street. And it isn't that similar to Amber Sultan as it lacks that herbal facet.
    l found Fiore d'Ambra to be much less satisfying, & more powdery than resinous.
    Thanks, Starblind, kumquat, and teardrop! Despite the almost equal directory review votes, Ambre Aurea seems to be the clear favorite here. I'll probably end up sampling both to satisfy my curiosity.

    A little sweetness is fine, and to be expected being an amber and all, but caramel-ness gives me pause. On Fragrantica, some talked about drastic reforms (for the worse) in Fiore d'Ambre so perhaps it used to be way better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Thanks for calling these frags out...I just happened to place an order on Luckyscent so I requested a sample of Ambra Aurea.
    Let me know what you think! What'd you pick up at LS?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't even know about Fiore d'Ambra until I read this thread.

    I like Ambra Aurea. But, alas, I never actually *wear* ambers a lot here in Miami, especially rich, thick ones like this one. But I would think you'd enjoy this one if you like that Profumi del Forte and the Tom Ford.

    Me, given a choice, I'd stick with Ambre Sultan.
    I didn't known it existed until about 5 minutes before I started the thread

    I'll be surprised if anything ever tops Ambre Sultan for me. But what a treat it would be if something did.

    Is there anyone out there who prefers Fiore d'Ambra to Ambre Aurea? I'd be curious to hear that take.

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Let me know what you think! What'd you pick up at LS?
    I bought Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Taklamakan from Luckyscent. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26148903.html It's really beautiful...quite like it.

    So it turns out that Lucky sent me both of the frags you call out here as samples! I didn't expect that, I had only requested Ambra Aurea. My nose reacted very differently to a lot of the feedback here for Ambra Aurea. I think it might be because I do not take well to significant use of cade as an ingredient, I suspect this has some heavy cade in it. Cade and my nose don't get along well, it overwhelms everything else. Here are my notes...not written as reviews, just my reactions as I tried the samples.

    Profumum Ambra Aurea / Not nice opening, burnt leathery almost fecal. Induced coughing.
    Profumum Fiore D'ambra / Mysterious and intriguing. Warm. Slightly caramelic amber. Hint of powder. Very nice, wish the sillage was greater. A gentle scent.

    ​So, yep, I preferred Fiore. I would consider getting it if it were more potent.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  16. #16
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    So it turns out that Lucky sent me both of the frags you call out here as samples!

    Profumum Ambra Aurea / Not nice opening, burnt leathery almost fecal. Induced coughing.
    Profumum Fiore D'ambra / Mysterious and intriguing. Warm. Slightly caramelic amber. Hint of powder. Very nice, wish the sillage was greater. A gentle scent.

    ​So, yep, I preferred Fiore. I would consider getting it if it were more potent.
    What are the chances?!?! Thanks for unintentionally being a test subject

    Funny you mention the "mysterious" quality of Fiore, that's an adjective that applies to my mental (olfactory?) image of it. Would you say it is sweet? Or sweeter than Ambra Aurea?

    I haven't tried Talkalakalakalakaman but from memory it seems to be the house favorite for many. I've only minimal experience with SHL, and I wasn't a fan. I think I have samples Black Gemstone and Generation Man, both of which seemed to be posterchildren for harsh, crazy long-lasting woody/amber aromachemicals.

    Have you tried Lutens Ambre Sultan, and if so, did you dislike the opening of that too?

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Profumum ambers - Fiore d'Ambra & Ambra Aurea

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    What are the chances?!?! Thanks for unintentionally being a test subject

    Funny you mention the "mysterious" quality of Fiore, that's an adjective that applies to my mental (olfactory?) image of it. Would you say it is sweet? Or sweeter than Ambra Aurea?

    I haven't tried Talkalakalakalakaman but from memory it seems to be the house favorite for many. I've only minimal experience with SHL, and I wasn't a fan. I think I have samples Black Gemstone and Generation Man, both of which seemed to be posterchildren for harsh, crazy long-lasting woody/amber aromachemicals.

    Have you tried Lutens Ambre Sultan, and if so, did you dislike the opening of that too?
    I own Ambre Sultan, and I quite enjoy it. I have no dislike for the opening. I suspect Lutens must use other ingredients than cade to create the amber accord...since, as I understand it, amber is really a directional collection of other notes and not a specific ingredient by itself often made by combining labdanum with other ingredients.

    I did think Fiore was sweet-ish, due to the caramel quality to the ambery warmth. However...not overly sweet. It danced around it. I haven't tried any of the other SHL frags...Talklikeaman is quite well composed, doesn't strike me as artificial.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com




Similar Threads

  1. Profumum Fiore di Ambra - Any opinions?
    By scentsitivity in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23rd April 2010, 04:03 PM
  2. Profumum Fiore di Ambra- massive disappointment
    By fresh2def in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th August 2008, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000