Code of Conduct

Default Perfumers alcohol in Norway/Sweden

Any aspiring or up and running perfumers from Norway or Sweden following this fora? How do you deal with the alcohol? I can not for the obvious reason order perfumers alc online. Any tips for a substitute?

Default Re: Perfumers alcohol in Norway/Sweden

It is not straight forward, but got some good advice from another member here when I started some time back. For me I found it easiest to just get 95% alcohol from a border shop in Denmark in a road trip when in the area. Optionally you could order from webshops within EU, but with taxes and shipping it will be ridiculous expensive. Like this:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...irit-95-polmos (out of stock now though, but you could probably find other shops if searching)

Finally, if you have a friend ot so who is a doctor, they could hook you up with 95% ethanol for medicinal purpose which will be the same. Good luck!

Cool Re: Perfumers alcohol in Norway/Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarrush View Post
    It is not straight forward, but got some good advice from another member here when I started some time back. For me I found it easiest to just get 95% alcohol from a border shop in Denmark in a road trip when in the area. Optionally you could order from webshops within EU, but with taxes and shipping it will be ridiculous expensive. Like this:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...irit-95-polmos (out of stock now though, but you could probably find other shops if searching)

Finally, if you have a friend ot so who is a doctor, they could hook you up with 95% ethanol for medicinal purpose which will be the same. Good luck!
    I think that i possibly would get a few days in jail if i was to be stopped at the border, as this is drinkable 95%. I have roughly 1 liter of denaturated Ethanol witch serves its purpose at the moment. Even though this is denaturated it is still under strict regulations, and its not something i as a private person am able to buy.

Although it may be a bit expensive, you could try using some high proof vodka from the Vinmonopolet, and maybe even experimenting with a molecular sieve/filter in order to remove some of the remaining water from the alcohol. A quick Google search of "molecular sieve alcohol" turned up this thread with some information the subject:
    https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2836

Could be an idea... but i dont think im going pursue it. I would have to spend more time (and money) on ebay and gadgets .. guess ill just have to phone around and see what i comes up

I'm in Norway, and I ordered PA to a hotel when I was abroad - and just took it home in my suitcase.
    Never actually thought about any consequences But I don't think customs would have thought too much of it (I was carrying some other perfumery ingredients as well, and had the invoice) - so I guess I had a fairly good explanation.

Talking Re: Perfumers alcohol in Norway/Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by -jhl- View Post
    I'm in Norway, and I ordered PA to a hotel when I was abroad - and just took it home in my suitcase.
    Never actually thought about any consequences But I don't think customs would have thought too much of it (I was carrying some other perfumery ingredients as well, and had the invoice) - so I guess I had a fairly good explanation.
    Im not sure ..but i think that alcohol above 60% is considered under the laws of narcotics if you accidentally are stopped on the border... So, needless to say i dont want to risk anything ... i guess you could be fine with the invoice and a fairly good explanation but still.

When I lived in Sweden I had my brother who is a doctor prescribe 96% alcohol for me. They did look a bit strangely at me in the pharmacy but worked out fine. This alcohol is also not denatured.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    When I lived in Sweden I had my brother who is a doctor prescribe 96% alcohol for me. They did look a bit strangely at me in the pharmacy but worked out fine. This alcohol is also not denatured.
    Well... i lack a brother (Or sister) with a medical exam :-) I have one 1l bottle with denatured 96%, it's not going to last for ever thoug... I've been calling and mailing here and there and it seems like i need to actually register a company so i can apply for a license to handle the alcohol... Hoora norway!

Idk about Norway, but in Sweden registering a company and applying for the license is the only legal route. All the suggestions above to import or produce this grade of alcohol are criminal offences in Sweden. As is getting a medic to prescribe it, and they risk losing their license.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldara View Post
    Well... i lack a brother (Or sister) with a medical exam :-) .. register a company so i can apply for a license to handle the alcohol...
    Let us know how you get on.

I suppose you have read this thread:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/435...alcohol+sweden

Quoting myself:
    If you want to use the ethanol privately, for tests and experiments, there are a couple of posssibilities. Either you can go across Öresund to Helsingör or Copenhagen. Lots of liquer shops with 95% ethanol there. But its not cheap, since Denmark too has certain taxation on alcohol. You can bring a couple of bottles back home, but not a larger batch.

One other possibility is to find a dealer of denatured ethanol, where only bitrex has been used. This can be very cheap, and I dont expect the authoroties to be harsh on that , since is undrinkable. On the other hand, only bitrex denaturation isnt technically regarded as FULL denaturation, so the legalities might be a grey area.

If you plan professional products, the matter is different, since you are only allowed to use a swedish supplier of ethanol to get a permit to create alcohol based products. The whole matter would be much simpler if there was one who sold bitrex denatured 95% ethanol in Sweden. But so far, I have only found one with 75% ethanol, sold in tanks of 10000 litres. If several perfumers got together and explained that there could be a market, hopefully a producer could offer something more fitting in small quantities.

Ethanol supply is the only big hassle I have come upon so far, with its permits and contol structure. But with a company, a permit and some money, it is possible to get the correct form of alcohol in Sweden too. Be aware though, that you have to plan for storage facitities. In a home, the landlord or apartmet owner may not allow storage of highly flammable materials. And the flash point for 95% ethanol is way below room temperature, so there is a potential risk of fires. Storing also needs to be burglar safe, since the permit from the tax department, says that you have to pay all the high taxes for any stolen ethanol, since theft is regarded a different usage than the perfume making you got the permit for...

This may also be useful:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/418130-Ethanol-with-bitrex?
    highlight=alcohol+sweden

Whatever you do, make sure there are no trace of methanol in the alcolhol you experiment with. It is extremely poisonous, and goes through the skin.

/Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by iez View Post
    ...in Sweden ... All the suggestions above to import or produce this grade of alcohol are criminal offences in Sweden.
    I can see this all over Internet, but to my knowledge import personally for your own consumption is totally legal to Sweden, regardless of percentage of ethanol. I might be wrong here, but please show source for the claim if so

No restriction of amount for personal use in EU. However, a customs officer may regard larger amounts as not for personal use.

There is no limit on the strength of the alcohol (some claim that Stroh-Rum around 80%, Absinth and Finsprit at 95% would be regardes as narcotics, but that is not true).

https://www.tullverket.se/en/private...fe9e75a47.html

There may be other rules on import to/from Norway, since thay are not in the EU.

/Pelle

Yes, you can bring limited amounts of any strength alcohol when you travel, but you do risk a customs officer deciding there is no "personal use" for perfumers grade alcohol (it has happened).
    Those new more liberal import rules only apply to alcohol intended for human consumption and labelled as such and the buyer is still obliged to notify the Swedish Tax Agency prior to the transport and lodge a security as well as paying the extra taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Filipsson View Post
    I suppose you have read this thread:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/435...alcohol+sweden

One other possibility is to find a dealer of denatured ethanol, where only bitrex has been used.

If you plan professional products, the matter is different,

/Pelle
    Nice one... Im going to pursue the Bitrex "lead" ... driving over the border and back for a bottle of 96% is a nogo. There is quite a noisy mess going on up north these days, were some Phd students and their professors used the 96% lab alcohol and made drinks for fun and party. You dont need much 96% to have a great party. Thats probably why the norwegian gov has such a thing for this. No one is supposed to have fun!

The registering a company and obtaining license is too much a hassel at the moment. If thing works out i might have a product that i can sell in a year... most likely two.

A short addition with regards to just "bringing over the border"... As far as i can read from the law, import of alcohol above 60% is illegal. If you get caught you can be fined and you risk jail (Up to 6 months) The x factor is that it is up to customs to consider if the quantity is more than what you could consider to be for own use. If customs consider the amount to be for sale you have a problem. I dont think i would be fined and i certainly do not think i would spend time in jail for a bottle of perfumers alcohol but im not going to temp faith either.