Code of Conduct

Default Attention vintage Fahrenheit experts!

I tried to contact Andre at RotLS, but he hasn't gotten back to me in several days, and I thought vintage Fahrenheit fans would want to know about this or offer opinions. I have a vintage bottle (EAU DE TOILETTE is below Fahrenheit and goes from about the middle of the a and the end of the second e in "Fahrenheit"). It was obtained just about exactly 10 years ago, from a guy who was selling off his father's possessions, as he was going to a retirement community (I also bought a 4 ounce RL Monogram and a 4 ounce Signor Vivara). The son said his father had it for "many years." The problem is that the batch code seems to be 3 digits (see the picture), AB1. It's also impressed into the plastic label, and there's nothing like this on the RofLS page on Fahrenheit. Also noteworthy is that when you move the sprayer top to either side it has some resistance and makes a bit of a clicking type sound (it is a uniform sound and seems to be the way it was designed). The lettering doesn't come off when I try to scrape it off with my fingernails and the smells seems exactly right. If anyone has seen a bottle like this or has an idea of when it was produced, please let us know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Attention vintage Fahrenheit experts!

Very intriguing. Andre must be very busy, I would wait a bit more for an answer from him.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Very intriguing. Andre must be very busy, I would wait a bit more for an answer from him.
    Right, I just wanted to get the word out. But in the meantime, what about when you turn the spray top on the old bottles? Do you get a little resistance as well as a mild clicking type sound? One possibility is that it was a tester and they had different codes for them, because all the guy's bottles had outer caps except for this one.

master of sparks

I am not an expert, but I just came here to learn.

Learn what is so great about Fahrenheit, I mean. Maybe if I tasted vintage, it'd be oh, so very clear. But samples over the past ten years always fail to convert me. Scout's Honor and all that. Is it just me?

/AC

It's a good fragrance, but I'm uncertain about its relevance nowadays. Eau Sauvage is Dior's true masculine classic. Fahrenheit is a postmodern watermark in "edginess," and an excellent scent, but I don't think it has aged very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Right, I just wanted to get the word out. But in the meantime, what about when you turn the spray top on the old bottles? Do you get a little resistance as well as a mild clicking type sound? One possibility is that it was a tester and they had different codes for them, because all the guy's bottles had outer caps except for this one.
    Unfortunately I don't know, as I sold my vintage Fahrenheit last summer. And it was a splash, not spray...

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It's not one of the earliest bottles. I would guess late 1990s or early 2000s.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Also noteworthy is that when you move the sprayer top to either side it has some resistance and makes a bit of a clicking type sound (it is a uniform sound and seems to be the way it was designed).
    I'm not exactly a vintage Fahrenheit expert, but I do more or less "collect" the Summer flankers so I have some experience with various bottle designs from 2001-2007, which seem to match how classic Fahrenheit was bottled during the same period.

I do recall either the original Fahrenheit Summer (2001-2002) or Fahrenheit 0 degré (I think my bottle was produced in 2001) having a sprayer that clicked and resisted as it's turned to either side. I can confirm when I get home later on and report back. I'll check the 2006 and 2007 bottles too.

Does your bottle have the wider straw inside, and the older "flared" cap? That would put it at 2007 or older, I think. Also, regarding the AB1 batch code - I might be wrong but perhaps some of their testers had shortened batch codes? I'm perhaps confusing that with older Chanel.

Congrats on Signor Vivara BTW, that's good stuff and not too easy to find these days (for reasonable prices), although I don't often look. Reminds me a bit of Antaeus, smooth and old-school leathery.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I'm not exactly a vintage Fahrenheit expert, but I do more or less "collect" the Summer flankers so I have some experience with various bottle designs from 2001-2007, which seem to match how classic Fahrenheit was bottled during the same period.

I do recall either the original Fahrenheit Summer (2001-2002) or Fahrenheit 0 degré (I think my bottle was produced in 2001) having a sprayer that clicked and resisted as it's turned to either side. I can confirm when I get home later on and report back. I'll check the 2006 and 2007 bottles too.

Does your bottle have the wider straw inside, and the older "flared" cap? That would put it at 2007 or older, I think. Also, regarding the AB1 batch code - I might be wrong but perhaps some of their testers had shortened batch codes? I'm perhaps confusing that with older Chanel.

Congrats on Signor Vivara BTW, that's good stuff and not too easy to find these days (for reasonable prices), although I don't often look. Reminds me a bit of Antaeus, smooth and old-school leathery.
    The tubing is thick but then up toward the top there's another part to it that I'd guess is at least half an inch long. That part is white, not clear and it's thicker right up at the top and then thins out so that it almost looks like it's two parts. On newer bottles that long white part has been replaced by a small cylinder that is transparent, along with a thinner tube that goes down to the bottom, in terms of a comparison photo I saw. It didn't come with a cap so I can't speak to that aspect of it. Thanks.

What I said about the top part of the tubing looking like two elements that are white but being only one is illustrated in this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christian-D...torefresh=true

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I finally got around to checking some summer flankers. For the 2007 Fahrenheit Summer and the 2002 Fahrenheit 0 degré, both clicked initially when I turned the atomizer top but not after. There wasn't any real resistance either, nothing unusual at least. My guess would be the initial click I heard was just from being in the same spot/not being turned for a period of time. I didn't feel nor hear anything like a series of resistance points.

I also tried with Fahrenheit Absolute (which I haven't pulled out in many months) and it also clicked one but not after. Naturally I tried with a variety of other fragrances (non Dior) and some did the initial click thing, others 'clicked' while turning (sounds like a spring) but none that felt like intentional, measured points of resistance.

I unfortunately couldn't find the other box which contained Fahrenheit Summer 2002 and 2006 (and 1997 Fahrenheit, and like 12-15 other bottles :/) but will report back if I do find it. I just moved back in and did a big purge of items from the basement, I'm a little nervous.

Anyway probably not that useful of information and I'm not particularly good with the visual differences, but hope it helps. Please do let us know if/when Andre gets back to you. I'm curious to hear his thoughts on the unusual code.

What I said about the top part of the tubing looking like two elements that are white but being only one is illustrated in this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christian-D...torefresh=true
    This I can report on with certainty, because I bought it It does not click or resist when turned.

As for the age, it turned out to be a (possibly) 1987 set, 30 Avenue Hoche and batch codes 9322F (EdT) and 9138D (AS). It's pre-1991 at least, being 30 vs. 33 Avenue Hoche. It's also the oldest Fahrenheit I've ever smelled, and boy it is way, way more in your face than I remember my 1997 bottle being, the opening at least. Thanks for the lead! Very good price on very old Fahrenheit.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    As for the age, it turned out to be a (possibly) 1987 set, 30 Avenue Hoche and batch codes 9322F (EdT) and 9138D (AS). It's pre-1991 at least, being 30 vs. 33 Avenue Hoche. It's also the oldest Fahrenheit I've ever smelled, and boy it is way, way more in your face than I remember my 1997 bottle being, the opening at least. Thanks for the lead! Very good price on very old Fahrenheit.
    That "9" means 1989, I think. Legendary pickup.

I've been wearing Fahrenheit over the last couple days, and enjoying it as much as ever, a 1996 version.

I just ordered this one:

Fahrenheit Summer Sunset.jpg

I also saw the silver version, and half thought about getting both. I think you had sent me decants from the silver version, right? This sunset version is older, I think, from the look of it, and hopefully just as good, or better!

Basenotes Plus

Bump. So, there's someone who is trying to sell apparently an older Fahrenheit (33 ave, not 30), but the batch code might be AB1 as well. Which.. is weird and contradicts like everything I've seen about authentic Fahrenheit batch codes.

Any update or more insight into this 3 digit batch code? Fake? Legit?

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

1989 sealed. Not my photos.

Last edited by Gail Elliott; 22nd July 2018 at 09:54 PM.