Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blind buys you regret

There are too many to list. Essentially every blind buy I've ever made.
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Let's Dance

It didn't help that this isn't on Basenotes or Fragrantica and isn't reviewed anywhere else on the internet, but what the hell was I thinking -

The price wasn't big, effectively Friday night beer money, and I didn't expect to love it as such but was looking for some inexpensive 'modern' brainless casual grab-n-go. I was also more curious as it didn't have a review anywhere on the internet. But not only did I have blind buy regrets, it made me fundamentally question my love of perfumes.

The two that hurt most are Ormonde Man & Straight to Heaven.

Both have a 'cedar / wood' thing happening that has all the charm of cheap badly varnished wood splinters being stuck up up one's nostrils. It's a fairly common aromachem that seems to pop up in cheap 'masculines' but I was disappointed to find it in these two, both of which came highly recommended from a number of basenoters whose taste I am sort of 'in accord' with. So it goes
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Divine Oud by Roberto Cavalli
    Encre Noire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The frags I regret have been blind buys and cheap (hence samples not available to me), though not all :
    Carven Le Vetiver - I found this boring
    Ferrari Bright Neroli - this one is really rather good, but I don't like neroli as much as I thought I did
    Bogart Signature - hated the lemon (blossom) topnotes, which kept reappearing during drydown, ruining the leather for me

Interesting how many people regret Encre Noire.
    That was not a blind buy. I used up a 5ml sample before buying a FB, but have rarely worn it since. Almost regret.
    July Rotation : Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Guerlain Vetiver; Guerlain Habit Rouge L'Eau; Etro Palais Jamais; Etro Dianthus; CdG Avignon; Dior Fahrenheit
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Basenotes Plus

I've had fairly good luck with blind buys. Those I don't fall in love with, I sell. Or, I let them sit around for a year to try again. Often, I fall in love with them, as if smelling them for the first time.

One blind buy springs to mind that was beyond atrocious. It was an Al Haramain. Silver something.

I study notes and read reviews before I decide to blind buy. Sometimes, I just take a chance. However, I will no longer blind buy anything over 20 bucks anymore. I figure if I waste 20 dollars, it is no worse than blowing that amount on a lottery scratch-off ticket, and losing.

BTW, most fragrances I've blind bought, did Not have samples available for it, Anywhere. I pretty much sample first if I can, before I buy.
    Last edited by HouseOfPhlegethon; 11th June 2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: addendum
    Current adorations : Laurence Dumont Vanille Violette • Chanel Coromandel • Mancera Black Prestigium • Bois 1920 Relativamento Rosso • L' Artisan Parfumeur Traversee Du Bosphore • Narciso Rodriguez Poudree • Zoologist Rhinoceros • Map Of The Heart Purple Heart • Sixteen92 Blood & Honey • Serge Lutens Chergui • Mugler Angel • M. Micallef Le Parum Floral No 11 •
    Currently wearing: Prada Candy L'Eau by Prada

Montale White Aoud. Expected to love it, but no, quite the opposite. Luckily was able to swap for a half full bottle of Angelique Encens, which was still in production back then.

And also regret blind buying SIP Aquarian Rose in the newer, much more expensive bottle. I had a small decant of the old version (my favorite rose) and was told no reformulation took place when they changed packaging. So bought the new bottle without testing, and it smells very different: can't detect rose in my new bottle.

Some other blind buys were perfect: amongst them are Hiram Green Dilettante and L'Artisan Bucoliques de Provence.

Basenotes Junkie

I've been fortunate with my blind buys. So far I've none which I've outwardly disliked. There are a couple of challenging wearers but nothing that screams 'scrub-a-dub-dub' and nothing I've sold on (so far - I'm potentially downsizing a little, soon).

My good ones have been Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017), Xerjoff Cavour I (at a great price), Xerjoff Zanzibar (at a great price) and Mancera Sand Aoud, to name a few.

Aventus. No shortage of takers in the secondhand market, luckily for me.

It taught me a valuable lesson: what apparently works for hundreds of BNers may not necessarily work for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Aventus. No shortage of takers in the secondhand market, luckily for me.

It taught me a valuable lesson: what apparently works for hundreds of BNers may not necessarily work for me.
    That's true. I tried it and, frankly, it didn't wow me. But to each his own. The same for 'Encre Noir'. I can't see the plus side of 'ink notes'. Some things are just too avant-garde for me, apparently. Tea notes aren't especially compelling for me either. Too flat, or something. 'Bulgari Black' was another that gets a lot of hype so I bought it blind. The tea and tar notes didn't do it for me.
    Currently wearing: Un Coeur en Mai by MDCI

Basenotes Junkie

Mine dawned on me last night - Fleur du Male. It's a decent fragrance but just didn't live up to my expectation. Was hoping for far more neroli than I got, with the chamomile taking the fore and being too 'in my face'.

Morabito's Or Black. I've probably given this more chances than anything else. Not expensive, easy to shift, but just couldn't believe I didn't like it. A bit like the person you should like but can never get over getting off on the wrong footing with them.
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    Morabito's Or Black. I've probably given this more chances than anything else. Not expensive, easy to shift, but just couldn't believe I didn't like it. A bit like the person you should like but can never get over getting off on the wrong footing with them.
    That's just terribly sad I LOVE the stuff. Well, at least you tried!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Montale Black Aoud - Can't stand the stuff. Neither could my wife.
    Dior Homme Parfum - I actually quite liked it but after a while it becomes a bit stuffy and annoying.
    Grey Flannel - At that price I can't really regret it but it does get my vote for the most horrific fragrance ever made.
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - Spent a hell of a lot of money on this. While it does smell pleasant it just doesn't warrant the price. Not special enough and smells kind of juvenile.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Rive Gauche - YSL
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Dia Man - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Bois Du Portugal- Creed

Basenotes Plus

Most "cheap and cheerful" blind buys. They were inexpensive, so I wasn't too put out. Today I would rather spend the money on a small decant of something I really like. Lessons learned.
    Of the higher end stuff, only a couple of regrets. I just don't blind buy expensive fragrance any more.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Silk by Jalaine

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme

A horrible synthetic miasma of headache inducing nausea. Thankfully I only paid about $20.00 for it.
    I heard bleue dissey was a good fragrance. Some people love it and some hate it. I'm skeptical on pulling the trigger for this one. I smelled it once on paper and it was pretty woody, fresh, and foresty.
    Currently wearing: Amber Flash by Tauerville

Habit Rouge and Midnight in Paris are my top two by far.

The general consensus on each: "a masculine Shalimar", which drew me to both. My nose's consensus on each: "nope!"
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lavender was a true blind buy. Cheap, but blind. For maybe $7, I got maybe 30-50 ml. And I love green tea notes. And I love lavender. So I thought, “what’s not to like?” But it was really gross. I retired it to a bathroom spray after a couple of months.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs

Creed Silver Mountain Water.

"For the man who wants the air of industrial cleaning solvents and ink toner around him."

I don't care for it at all. Was a partial used bottle from the sale thread here, so at least I didn't drop a few hundred on it.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Slumberhouse Kiste. I tried, I really did.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blind buying is out of my modus operandi, as I buy in stores after testing virtually 100% of the time—except once—and I regret it: Mugler Aura.

Thinking the the weird note description sounded intriguing, I just had to have it without waiting til it reached our shores and asked a friend to bring it from France. Objectively I thought I liked it (or felt obligated to like it and kept trying) but ultimately something about it disagrees with me and I have not worn it.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Gardénia Parfum by Chanel

Creed - Feuille Verte

Had wanted this one for a lonnng time and was fortunate enough to get a 50ml decant recently.

Horrible Stuff!! Dont know what to do with it ( wasnt cheap unfortunately !)
    Currently wearing: Riflesso by Trussardi

PdM Layton. Don't hate it but i have a ton of regret because it was one of my last Notino purchases. I can think of a dozen other things I would rather have gotten from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Slumberhouse Kiste. I tried, I really did.
    That's too bad...I'm one of those that loves this one, but I understand. Beauty really is in the "nose" of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Habit Rouge and Midnight in Paris are my top two by far.

The general consensus on each: "a masculine Shalimar", which drew me to both. My nose's consensus on each: "nope!"
    Midnight in Paris was a huge disappointment for me. After seeing so many rave reviews and the note breakdown and I must admit as well, the bottle, I thought that I must have it. But I cant really stand it. Not on me, at least. I dig a daring sort of feminine scent on a dude, but this was far past that line.

I don't regret it too much, though, because I got a bottle of the edt and edp for $15 each, and judging by the prices I see now, I couldnt definitely make a return on that.

Yes!
    near Baden-Baden, Schwarzwald (= Black Forest region), just 12 Km / 7 miles away of French border

... and another extreme disappointment was:

My favorites in July are Veti(y)ver's in no particular order:

Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver - EdP

Touch Grigioperla - Fresh Vetiver

Givenchy - Vetyver (Version 2007)

Atelier Cologne - Vétiver Fatal

Carven
    - Vetiver (Version 2014)

Basenotes Member

Sammarco Bond-T

Just can't find anything to like, not sure what I was thinking....
    Purchased in winter, I may give it one more chance this summer, perhaps with my leathers?
    Perhaps on something other than skin?
    On my skin I get: urine, ashtray, rancid-oil chocolate

Recently, Aqua Celestia. I really don't like it at all, an overpowering floral musk that more or less ruins all the good stuff (mint, currant, lime, and so on). It's a very feminine scent and I wasn't expecting that.

Few to none so far- was almost incredibly lucky with either the price being too low to become a true loss or a risk not worth taking/overpriced or managed to find either some at least decent, bearable notes about it or a swap/giveaway possibility or even all at once