Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Chanel No 5 EDT vs Extrait

Hi Everyone

I have an option to get one of the two:

100ml Circa 80s Chanel No 5 EDT spray (refillable)
    Or
    14ml No 5 Extrait

Can someone tell me as much as they can about these 2 and which one i should go for?

😁
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Default Re: Vintage Chanel No 5 EDT vs Extrait

Hi, MELVCMS01! I had meant to respond to your No.5 EdP thread but here I can kill two birds with one stone. First, I recommend that if you like current EdP, that you keep wearing it. No need to rush into vintage EdP as the current is lovely and hasn't changed all that much, IMO.

Second, if you want to go vintage in order to get closest to the original idea of No. 5, I'd recommend going for that extrait. That may satisfy your curiosity, or it may send you completely down the rabbit hole. If you're still into sniffing vintage 5 after the extrait, I'd also suggest the old EdC. Each version will show you another face of No.5, so probably best to use extrait as your starting point. If I could do my 5 exploration all over again, this is how I'd do it.

Also, based on your wardrobe, I wonder if you may also like one or both of the newer flankers (Eau Premiere and L'Eau). Just for a lighter, more modern and summery version, if you're into that. Several BN gents enjoy these two. They are easy to find at counters for a sniff, should you have the chance.

Thanks so much!!

Im assuming from what i can see that the extrait is not a spray version, but a splash is that correct?
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

^Most likely, yes a splash, though you may occasionally find older parfum purse sprays. With a splash, the aldehydes may have lost some of their crispness but this won't prevent you from sniffing the beauty of the older musky woody base notes. I have very occasionally encountered No.5 that has turned but usually vintage will be in good enough shape to get what the fuss was all about. If you ever come across a truly turned bottle, you'll know it; it will smell like acetone. In my experience, this has been the case in some very, very old examples. I think a lot of the vintage extrait for sale now is from the 1980s-90s, which is great. Old enough to give you real sandalwood but new enough to still be in great shape.