Code of Conduct

Default using cognac an an alcoholic base

I had an idea. Use white (eau die vie) cognac as the base in a perfume instead of the normal alcohol. This may be cheaper and simpler than adding cognac distillate oil, where a cognac fragrance is desired.

For those of you that don't know, cognac has a heaviness to its fragrance that is very similar to tobacco (indeed cognac and tobacco pair very well together). There's also an aspect in the fragrance profile of cognac that smells like honey (and I mean the characteristic good part of honey, not talking about sweetness), which is very rare. Altogether, cognac distillate would be a lot more popular for use in perfumery if it wasn't so expensive.

I read somewhere that, historically, cognac distillate was used as an early fixative for perfumes, as it surely does have an elating olfactory quality.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: using cognac an an alcoholic base

I would be very interested in knowing how this goes. I've been reading of folks who have used their tinctures in alcohol to make up the remainder of a formula in place of straight perfumer's alcohol, when the lingering notes of the tincture are faint. This sound similarly compelling.

cognac contains too much water and will cause problems with solubility...

Basenotes Junkie

I agree with @pavomi, Cognac will have too much water...
    However, i used hard liquor for it's scent once.
    I used Whiskey, but you can of course use Cognac, Armagnac, whatever hard liquor scents suits your needs...
    Still used a lot of perfumers alcohol though, but the notes of the Whiskey are unmistakingly influencing the composition: https://sites.google.com/site/perfum...le-malt-whisky
    On my formulation blog, you will find free perfume formulations and accords. We also provide bespoke perfume formulations.

The tobacco note that you described comes from the oak. The barrels are first "toasted" on the inside. The level of toasting influences the final aroma.

You could always buy some cognac barrel chips or toasted French oak chips and macerate them in 95% alcohol for a few months. Cognac barrels are made from one of two species, Quercus robur or Quercus petraea. The former is harvested primarily from the Limousin forests, and the latter primarily from the Tronçais Forest. Cognacs aged in Q. robur have a smoky reddish colour and a woody aroma with vanilla tones. Cognacs aged in Q. petraea tend to be more amber in colour and may have tones of coconut and spice.

Cognac barrel chips come from previously used barrels, so they will be slightly less strong than toasted French oak chips. The former would probably be good for one extraction, and the latter for two extractions.
    Last edited by Pears; 1st July 2018 at 01:01 PM.