Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Question Aaramis Havana and Chanel Antaeus scent identifying help

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and too the fragrance world and honestly I have no idea how it started.

Being a beginner I'm finding it quite difficult identifying some of the scents in perfumes. Recently Im looking for a tobacco fragrance and without the sweetness and found a lot of good reviews on Aramis Havana so I blind bought it as it was not available at any store I visited. After trying it on my wrist I did not get any tobacco scent from it and reminded me a lot of Chanel Antaeus which is a fragrance that I did not like (actually hated it)

My question is whats the scent that I'm getting from both of these fragrances ? Its the first thing that you smell and kind of lingers for hours. (fragrantica Identifies oakmoss as one of the main notes and honestly I have no idea what that is supposed to smell like)

So no Im not getting any Tobacco from Havana which is disappointing.

Are there any good readily available non sweet tobacco fragrances? I remember trying burberry london , which was quite good but lacked performace , also tried spicebomb which I enjoyed but was a little sweet.

Thanks

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Aaramis Havana and Chanel Antaeus scent identifying help

Quote Originally Posted by q8fragrance View Post
    Are there any good readily available non sweet tobacco fragrances?

Thanks
    Depending on where you live - L'Ombre Des Hommes
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Let's Dance

Perhaps try Ferre.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It looks like they both have patchouli and labdanum as listed notes.

Vermeil Pour Homme has a tobacco note, but it also has a classic, old-school feel which might not be what you're looking for.

In the directory of this site, you can search by notes: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...s=tobacco&s=dn

I still remember being new at this and trying to pick apart what you like and don't like in fragrances. It can be overwhelming and confusing.

Havana and Antaeus are both strong and have a distinct "old school" feel, but beyond that I really don't see a strong parallel between them. Perhaps your taste simple leans more modern than what either of these offer.

I think one problem with finding a "non-sweet" tobacco is that tobacco is naturally a fairly sweet note, so if a tobacco is clearly not sweet, it's likely because of the presence of other notes. Havana is a great example. The top is extremely spicy, dry, and herbal, and the smoothness of the tobacco and light amber in the base take some time to appear...and present themselves best (for me) with a light spray to the core, in warmer weather. It's finicky, and I can see it being a challenge for someone new at this.

Antaeus is a whole other leather/beeswax/patchouli story, but I won't go there since it's not a tobacco.

Maybe try D&G Pour Homme, vintage if at all possible. It's a dry tobacco, yet approachable and friendly.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th June 2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Let's Dance

You might also like Eau des Baux.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Depending on where you live - L'Ombre Des Hommes
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Perhaps try Ferre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It looks like they both have patchouli and labdanum as listed notes.

Vermeil Pour Homme has a tobacco note, but it also has a classic, old-school feel which might not be what you're looking for.

In the directory of this site, you can search by notes: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...s=tobacco&s=dn
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    You might also like Eau des Baux.
    Sadly none of these are available where I live

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I still remember being new at this and trying to pick apart what you like and don't like in fragrances. It can be overwhelming and confusing.

Havana and Antaeus are both strong and have a distinct "old school" feel, but beyond that I really don't see a strong parallel between them. Perhaps your taste simple leans more modern than what either of these offer.

I think one problem with finding a "non-sweet" tobacco is that tobacco is naturally a fairly sweet note, so if a tobacco is clearly not sweet, it's likely because of the presence of other notes. Havana is a great example. The top is extremely spicy, dry, and herbal, and the smoothness of the tobacco and light amber in the base take some time to appear...and present themselves best (for me) with a light spray to the core, in warmer weather. It's finicky, and I can see it being a challenge for someone new at this.

Antaeus is a whole other leather/beesbax/patchouli story, but I won't go these since it's not a tobacco.

Maybe try D&G Pour Homme, vintage if at all possible. It's a dry tobacco, yet approachable and friendly.
    After trying both of these fragrances I guess I could say that I don't have the nose for "old school" fragrances. I had a look at D&G and It got me interested even though it seems to be weak in terms of longevity but I'll still give it a try.

You might also try Versace The Dreamer. It's sweet overall, but has a green, dry, fresh undertone that might work for you. It's more of a direct tobacco scent than the D&G.
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

While personally getting very good performance from both, also adding:

Bogart Signature, Duc de Vervins, English Blazer by Blue Perfumes/Yardley (different ownership structure over the years of the company producing and/or distributing this fragrance), Tabac Original, CHH Tobacco (the latter three also bargain priced, but really none of these too expensive anyway) among further tobacco scents.

Admittedly some more with a tobacco rendition rather than full on overt, raw tobacco, likely worth testing and considering.