Code of Conduct

Default So what's the final consensus on Acqua Di Gio Absolu?

I ask because I have to admit I've liked this from the get-go. I've read the naysayers, the critiques, heard the dismissals on Youtube but I don't care. It works for me. I have a mini bottle and have been using that, so I can't quite say it's full bottle worthy just yet. But in my eyes, it ticks all the boxes for an everyday dumb reach, possibly even better than Sauvage. It's not sharp, it's not too loud, it doesn't scream for attention. It just sits there, smelling fine. Unlike a lot of what I've read, I do actually get the original AdG DNA in it quite prominently but the addition of tonka makes it more versatile in my eyes. It's what I like about Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, but with more personality and aquatic freshness.

Yeah, it's not the most original creation ever but it straddles the aquatic/fresh/sweet line perfectly in my eyes.

(That said, I am not a fan of AdG Profumo at all. Way too herbal, serious and mature for my tastes, and that's coming from a 43 year old guy. Not to mention it smells straight up Cologne Guy to me.)

Default Re: So what's the final consensus on Acqua Di Gio Absolu?

I think it's a good example of that particular style that's become popular (sweet, fruity ambroxan, part aquatic), and I think it executed decently enough. But I'm not thrilled with it, as I have a couple in that style already and was hoping for something that has more of a resemblance to the original AdG. So I think it's okay--well made for the most part but sort of irrelevant and redundant.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Like it a lot.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

A better quality clone of Invictus. It works for me as well, but:
    1) There are hundreds of better options for that price.
    2) The smell is cheap and not really for perfumistas.
    3) There is a copy of AdG Absolu from Stradivarius named Stradivarius Steel. I bought it for 10 euros and sometimes wear it. It's virtually the same scent.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Plus

I'm not sure what's going on with modern designers, but they might purposely be making them smell 'fuzzy' (like TV static/wrong channel), and I don't really care for that. It's like they realize that cheaper frags and/or poorly composed frags break down into this weird synthetic/fuzzy/static smell, but yet people seem to enjoy it, so then they're purposely emulating that smell.

Not my jam,
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Profumo is KING still!

Its wiggidy wiggidy wiggidy wack!

I have no idea why I keep seeing the word Invictus when discussing this fragrance, I don’t smell any similarity
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Sleek Suede / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. Code Ice / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Erba Pura
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Oajan

I like it OK, have only worn it once from a retail sample. Iprefer it to Dior Sauvage, but don't think it's worth the retail price. From an Armani perspective, I think ADG Profumo is a far better scent.

Invictus clone, pure and simple.

Isn't selling that well around here either - and a lot of people here like Invictus.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    I'm on the interwebs. And you are too? What a coinkydink!
    Blog Entries

I think it's pretty poor. I also don't understand how it fits into the AdG lineage at all.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Royal Oud
    1725 Casanova
    Noir De Noir
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Invictus clone, pure and simple.

Isn't selling that well around here either - and a lot of people here like Invictus.
    It actually resembles Wanted more than Invictus, in my experience. I don't think it's very similar to Invictus at all. The opening is a fruity bergamot accord which then develops into that kind of powdery tonka/lavender sweetness that's become very common. When I smell Invictus I don't pick up on any fruit in the opening (even though grapefruit's listed in the pyramid), and I get a very distinct sweet note that I only smell in Invictus and haven't encountered anywhere else. But the sweetness in Absolu is more similar to that in Stronger With You, it's a bit of a more mature sweetness I think.

I have a hard time disliking Absolu. I actually wore it today for I think only the third time and the experience was 100% pleasant. I don't think it's a wildly innovative scent--it's definitely Armani's take on some recent and popular trends--but it's very well put together and comes across completely smooth and polished. The fruity bergamot accord in the opening is nice--it's got some sparkle and clarity to it, and a warm, radiant quality (kind of like the bergamot accord in Sauvage EDP but brighter). The base is somewhat generic, but again, well done. It doesn't overdo the tonka, and the sweetness doesn't go into cheap, cotton-candy territory. I actually kind of like it. It's hard for me to deny it. I even liked Wanted to some degree, but while Wanted is heavy-handed and clumsy as a composition, Absolu feels much more sophisticated and refined (though I'm not saying it's "sophisticated," just more than Wanted). So I guess my final assessment would be something like, it's a very good scent but to enjoy it you have to like that trendy sweetness that's popular these days and don't go in expecting anything resembling the AdG line.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Profumo is KING still!
    This.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post
    I ask because I have to admit I've liked this from the get-go. I've read the naysayers, the critiques, heard the dismissals on Youtube but I don't care. It works for me. I have a mini bottle and have been using that, so I can't quite say it's full bottle worthy just yet. But in my eyes, it ticks all the boxes for an everyday dumb reach, possibly even better than Sauvage. It's not sharp, it's not too loud, it doesn't scream for attention. It just sits there, smelling fine. Unlike a lot of what I've read, I do actually get the original AdG DNA in it quite prominently but the addition of tonka makes it more versatile in my eyes. It's what I like about Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, but with more personality and aquatic freshness.

Yeah, it's not the most original creation ever but it straddles the aquatic/fresh/sweet line perfectly in my eyes.

(That said, I am not a fan of AdG Profumo at all. Way too herbal, serious and mature for my tastes, and that's coming from a 43 year old guy. Not to mention it smells straight up Cologne Guy to me.)
    This is how I felt with Polo Red. No love but me!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Average at best . Essenza and Profumo wipe the floor wth it

This one is better than Profumo.

Some interesting differences of opinion in here. I still haven't checked it out though.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I love it. No similarity at all to Invictus BTW, just one of those scents that only smells great, nothing more, nothing to wax eloquent about, just smells good.
    So depends on what you're looking for in a scent.

Tested it over the 2 weeks with samples and bought a tester bottle off eBay. One of the most refined fruity scent with ADG undertone to it. It's linear but I get great longevity and decent projection even when it's 90+ degrees out and the scent never turned on my skin.
    Currently wearing: Tres Nuit by Armaf

Tried this today - it's pleasant enough, but even with my limited experience (at least compared to many on here) I'd say there didn't seem to be anything special about it. Rather more fruity than I expected, too (nothing necessarily wrong with that). But even people who like it are saying it simply smells nice and isn't particularly different or special. Which is fine, but you can get that from some fragrances that are half the price this one is currently at....

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I tried a sniff at Macy's and instantly thought "weaker and less interesting Emporio Armani Stronger With You"

Not bad, but not a FB for me
    oh look, I have a signature

Blog Entries

Emporio Armani Weaker With You - Bubbalicious Edition

(Invictus x Stronger with you x Dylan blue @ edc conc.)

They wasted the wooden cap bottle and a heavy suffix, on a misleading dud that doesn’t belong in the ADG fam.
    Essenza, Profumo, and the original >>>>>>>> absolu

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I tried a sniff at Macy's and instantly thought "weaker and less interesting Emporio Armani Stronger With You"

Not bad, but not a FB for me
    Yes! That sounds right. I knew it reminded me of something. The whole idea that it was an "Absolu" just seemed wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Emporio Armani Weaker With You - Bubbalicious Edition

(Invictus x Stronger with you x Dylan blue @ edc conc.)

They wasted the wooden cap bottle and a heavy suffix, on a misleading dud that doesn’t belong in the ADG fam.
    Essenza, Profumo, and the original >>>>>>>> absolu
    Totally agreed.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    I have no idea why I keep seeing the word Invictus when discussing this fragrance, I don’t smell any similarity
    I tried it when it came out without reading about it. One of the first thoughts I had was that something in it reminded me of Invictus Aqua. I posted here about it as well. It is not a copy or an identical fragrance, it just had a match with something in IA. I have seen that you have been disagreeing with similarities before and I guess we’re all just different. My mind works in that way with fragrances, I tend to search for references.

What do you think about it by the way?

I wore 3 sprays today and it's actually performing decently. I was disappointed the first time I wore it. It's Invictus Light.