Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default How do you apply yours?

Ouds come in all shapes and sizes (figuratively). I've seen plastic centrifuge vials, plastic roller bottles, glass roller bottles, glass bottles without the 'rod', glass bottles with the 'rod', and the more presentation-focussed bottles.

I posed myself a question, after a couple of purchases which came in different packaging;

"How should I apply the ones without a 'stick' for application?"

I've got a bountiful access to plastic 'sticks' which I often use in the lab. Should I use one of those? They can easily be cleaned and disinfected (I've also plenty of isopropyl alcohol). Or, should I buy a glass 'stick'/dropper/applicator which I'll use only with the fragrance in question? For what it's worth, it's Xerjoff Warda al Oud.

Interested to hear your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen!

Default Re: How do you apply yours?

I have a couple of glass application rods that I normally use. I have also used plastic toothpicks in a pinch. For me, the glass is purely aesthetic and you should be fine with plastic sticks. I'm not overly concerned about the possibility of plastic contamination as just about all of my Oud oils have plastic applicators.

Plastic sticks will do very well.
    I assume that wealthy Arabs simply pour on fingers if there is no stick. But that delivers quite a lot of product.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Cheers m'dears! I shall stick to plastic sticks for the meantime but will perhaps look to procure a glass stick for application and might try and fabricate up a little stand for it to sit just outside the presentation box. Yes, it's 'too much' but why not?!

Use whatever dipstick comes with the bottle/vial. Abdul al Karim Faransi bottles have a glass dipstick built into the (screw) cap which is awesome, saves prying out the applicator. Others have a plastic end bit with a dipstick, others are totally plastic.

I apply several swipes on the back of my hands, across my arms and under my chin. Sometimes I'll gently rub it in (very gently) with a finger and then wipe that on my shirt

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by sproaty View Post
    Use whatever dipstick comes with the bottle/vial. Abdul al Karim Faransi bottles have a glass dipstick built into the (screw) cap which is awesome, saves prying out the applicator. Others have a plastic end bit with a dipstick, others are totally plastic.

I apply several swipes on the back of my hands, across my arms and under my chin. Sometimes I'll gently rub it in (very gently) with a finger and then wipe that on my shirt
    Diolch yn fawr bytt! It doesn’t look, at a glance, as though Warda al Oud has a stick so I’ll grab some and trim them down from work (plastic stirrers from lab) for the time being. I’ll have a proper look tomorrow however. I might just get a cheap glass bottle with a dropper to use thereafter.

I know exactly how much you use! You’re a mad man and have caused much of Wales to smell Oudy! Thanks for the tips on where to apply. I’ve so far gone for wirsts with a very light rub and between collarbones. I’ll also try behind ears soon as I sprayed as such today with Xerjoff Cavour I and was pleasantly surprised at how much more I could smell it.