Code of Conduct

Default Problem with vintage Chanel Coco EDP

Hi all,

I am just after winning an auction for a sealed vintage Coco Chanel EDP from the very first batch back from the 80s. The juice is incredibly dark, might be even darker than whiskey.
    Smells so powerfully and super long lasting on the blotter as well as my clothes, but on my skin it has nearly no staying power nor projection.
    Like I said I dont have that problem when its applied on my clothes or hair, but from the skin it disappears nearly within an hour.

I was made to believe that Coco is one of the most "in your face" creations by chanel having supposed to super longevity and projection/silage, but sadly thats only when sprayed on clothes.
    Its a splash bottle which i decanted into a small glass spray bottle, i only used 1 ml, so maybe I just didnt use enough? Any comments will be appreciated

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Problem with vintage Chanel Coco EDP

Perfume that dark will have lost all of its top and many/most of its middle notes, leaving a strong base that might smell okay, but without oomph or dimension. It will either dissipate to nothing or smell strong and varnishy on skin, without projection; cloth affords it a better "hook," but that's about all that can be said.

Chanel parfums have never been monsters, even Coco, which is often considered a "bigger" fragrance than many of the others. The parfums wear close to the skin. Assuming it is genuine, it sounds to me as if the fragrance has undergone a good deal of evaporation and/or prolonged exposure to heat, and you're smelling a base whose performance will not improve with additional sprays - but it would be a simple matter to check into the matter yourself, simply by spraying more and seeing if you like it better.

thats very helpful thanks! there was no evaporation whatsoever (thank god) but i have no way of commenting whether it was exposed to heat/sunlight as the box wasnt sealed, the bottle itself however was.
    what you are saying makes sense as it feels very basy and the "oomph" lasts really just like 20 seconds and then its very close to the skin.
    it projects better from clothes for sure, so that also could be an issue with ph of my skin considering the top notes are most likely gone from the fragrance

I'm sorry to hear of this vintage disappointment, Isabelluson.

Bonnette assessed the problem perfectly:

"Perfume that dark will have lost all of its top and many/most of its middle notes, leaving a strong base that might smell okay, but without oomph or dimension. It will either dissipate to nothing or smell strong and varnishy on skin, without projection; cloth affords it a better "hook," but that's about all that can be said."

I know there are some who praise darkened evaporated vintages, but I cannot agree. Some darkened, evaporated vintages might be wearable, but many are not, and I think it is much safer to avoid these bottles, unless you are willing to roll the dice.

Vintage Coco EDP in good condition has a golden hue and a potency that lasts 10-12 hours easily.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron