Code of Conduct

Default What should I go for in the US?

I'll be visiting Junior in Boston for summer, which opens an opportunity to buy some vintage US shoes and threads, Fels Natpha soap (my choice for treating shirt collars and cuffs) as well as fragrance - which I can order now and have sent to his place, as well as seek out in brick&mortar. I'd love to hear your suggestions on what to check out, liberated from the difficulties of transatlantic shippping. I'm thinking some DSH, for one, but other artisanal brands are equally welcome , but I can't say I've kept up with the US market.

Default Re: What should I go for in the US?

I haven’t tried any of them, but all of them seem to be bold, what I like: Slumberhouse.
    I love Kerosene Fields of Rubus and R’Oud Elements.

Basenotes Member

Since you’ll be in the area, I’ll recommend a visit to Colonial Drug in Newton, MA. I spent two hours talking and sampling fragrances with co-owner Cathy today. They have fragrances you won’t find in the big box stores along with lots of shaving accessories. There are bakeries, pastry shops, and bistros all on the same quaint little street. There is a parking lot behind their store where you can park for free for three hours. My wife and I will be going back soon because it’s just a nice way to spend an afternoon.

+1 for Colonial Drug

I haven't been there since it was still in Cambridge in 1992, but I loved that place and it was just a little shop stuffed to the ceiling with every perfume imaginable. Glad to see they are still in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    R’Oud Elements.
    I love this one
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Let's Dance

Green Irish Tweed ;-)

Not sure if they are easily available in Europe, but Au Dela Narcisse (Bruno Fazzolari) and Christopher Street (Charenton Macerations) are certainly worth a sniff each.
    Currently wearing: Insensé by Givenchy

Fazzolari comes to mind. I especially like Lampblack and Narcisse au dela.

In addition, as you know, it could be an occasion to check big US brand, that is, Estee Lauder (which includes the Aramis line).

And for shoes, my cousin often has me buy Alden in horsehide, which are apparently so much more expensive in Italy.

cacio

I too would suggest checking out Slumberhouse, perhaps Euphorium Brooklyn as well. Twisted Lily in New York should have some in stock. You also have Providence Perfume (somewhat) close by in Rhode Island.

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Fazzolari comes to mind. I especially like Lampblack and Narcisse au dela.

In addition, as you know, it could be an occasion to check big US brand, that is, Estee Lauder (which includes the Aramis line).

And for shoes, my cousin often has me buy Alden in horsehide, which are apparently so much more expensive in Italy.

cacio
    Which one is horsehide? The shell cordovans?
    Currently wearing: Insensé by Givenchy

Yes, leather from horses. The brand calls it cordovan, but I enjoy calling it horse hide in the SA presence. Or pointing to a shoe and asking whether it's cow or horse.

cacio

Freed from BN Institution

Neil Morris fragrances is based in Boston. Neil carries a wide range of fragrances some that are quite unique and interesting. Best to do some research ahead of time to get familiar with the line if you're interested.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Iris Ganache by Guerlain

beware of Custom Duties coming in action on American Products!
    walk unafraid!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    beware of Custom Duties coming in action on American Products!
    Hahaha. You threw ice on fire.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    You also have Providence Perfume (somewhat) close by in Rhode Island.
    I was also going to suggest Providence Perfume Co., fairly short (~1hr) drive from Boston, depending on traffic. I know you're a fan of Neuffer, DSH, Aftel (maybe?) and think Charna's work might be right up your alley.

I'm only about a half an hour south and need to grab some things there for a blogging peer of yours, I'd happily come sample and bring some fun stuff of mine to sniff as well. It's a laid back shop, Charna would be pumped to sample too I'm sure. I promise I'm not psychotic :::messily applies red lipstick after shaving eyebrows with machete while standing naked in driveway:::

+1 for Neil Morris too. I haven't been to his shop but he is based in Boston. As is John Biebel of January Scent Project.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I was also going to suggest Providence Perfume Co., fairly short (~1hr) drive from Boston, depending on traffic. I know you're a fan of Neuffer, DSH, Aftel (maybe?) and think Charna's work might be right up your alley.

I'm only about a half an hour south and need to grab some things there for a blogging peer of yours, I'd happily come sample and bring some fun stuff of mine to sniff as well. It's a laid back shop, Charna would be pumped to sample too I'm sure. I promise I'm not psychotic :::messily applies red lipstick after shaving eyebrows with machete while standing naked in driveway:::

+1 for Neil Morris too. I haven't been to his shop but he is based in Boston. As is John Biebel of January Scent Project.
    Hey, that sounds like fun. We can trade lipsticks ;-).
    In fact Annette Neuffer mentioned she greatly enjoyed Charna's work. I' ll check what our itinerary says and get in touch with you.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks to all for the many great suggestions. Last time I was at Colonial Drug was in 2005....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Caswell-Massey is carried by 3 stores in the Boston area. They don't ship internationally, so it's a good opportunity to snag some juice.

https://www.caswellmassey.com/apps/store-locator
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Y Collection by Zara