Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
  1. #1
    Dependent
    Basenotes Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    TEH INTERNET
    Posts
    5,229

    Default Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud


  2. #2
    Super Member Le vagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    What a great, in-depth interview of a fascinating and dedicated man. Thanks a lot, Claire!

  3. #3
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    5,204

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    The link for SW and oud sampler are not working.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    249,964

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Very interesting read.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    What an education of oud and this superior artisan. I had to stop and say a prayer for him and his work. He no doubt has been very guided and I wish him and his family and work very good success. Thanks so much for this indepth understanding of the real oud. Have saved to review again and again.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Love your article! I've learnt quite a bit.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Thank you Claire for this insightful interview and comprehensive and beautifully written reviews, and Ensar for so generously sharing his knowledge on this complex and opaque subject! It was a very interesting and educative read!

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Thank you to all who commented, I am so glad you found it interesting! Oud is an interesting subject, as is Ensar himself. Epapsiou, thanks for drawing our attention to the broken links - the oud one is fixed now, but the sandalwood sample set appears to be no longer available (perhaps this is a temporary supply problem). I originally submitted this interview almost a year ago, so that's probably why the links went a little 'stale'. I will shoot Ensar Oud and email and inquire as to future availability of the sandalwood sampler set. Again, thanks for reading - you guys are awesome.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Plus

    Hazel5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    San Francisco, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Fascinating reading. Thank you for this beautifully written piece. Agree with HeleneJ. I'll save for repeat review.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: White by Puredistance

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus

    Vmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,039

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    A wonderful read. Thank you Claire!

    I'm lucky to own Oud Yusuf and Borneo 5000 from Ensar.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )


    Top 10 for Autumn 2018
    01. Gyan by Bvlgari
    02. Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré
    03. Safari Extreme by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi
    04. Baque by Slumberhouse
    05. Jubilation XXV by Amouage
    06. Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer
    07. Body Kouros (vintage) by Yves Saint Laurent
    08. Sycomore (EdP) by Chanel
    09. Derby by Guerlain
    10. L'Envol de Cartier EdP by Cartier

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Thank you Hazel & Vmaster!

    The Ensar Oud sandalwood sampler kit is once again available, here. I will send the link on to Grant so he can update the interview.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Member joeribt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Yet another great piece by Claire. There is so much in here that this deserves repeated reading.
    Thank you so much for doing this!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Claire, thank you for this very in-depth understanding of oud.

    This note is very trendy now, but it's roots go deep into culture and tradition.

    Thank you again for bringing this to the readership!
    "Why the cologne?"
    "Geez, can't a buy smell good?"
    Film, "Low Down." 2014
    Currently wearing: Natori by Josie Natori

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    I'm heading out the door right now Claire ,
    and I just bookmarked your article with Ensar .
    I just wanted to chime in , lest I forget .
    When I will return , I most certainly spend some quality time reading it .
    Thank you .
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Thank you Hazel & Vmaster!

    The Ensar Oud sandalwood sampler kit is once again available, here. I will send the link on to Grant so he can update the interview.
    Hi Claire .
    I was just wondering if Basenotes was considering adding EO No 1 to the Fragrance Directory .
    I don't see any of his other attars here either .
    I do see Sultan Pasha's Ensar Rose though .

    Thank you and what a wonderful review.
    best wishes
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus
    farang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    European in Bangkok
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Very interesting! Thank you.
    * Most drawn to complex florals, chypres and orientals. Collect the best, forget the rest *
    Currently wearing: Gold Man by Amouage

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by joeribt View Post
    Yet another great piece by Claire. There is so much in here that this deserves repeated reading.
    Thank you so much for doing this!
    Thank you, Joe, I appreciate it!

  18. #18
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Claire, thank you for this very in-depth understanding of oud.

    This note is very trendy now, but it's roots go deep into culture and tradition.

    Thank you again for bringing this to the readership!
    Absolutely, Primrose - anything to shed light on this strange, quixotic material, so central to the culture and economies of the SE Asian countries where it grows.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    Hi Claire .
    I was just wondering if Basenotes was considering adding EO No 1 to the Fragrance Directory .
    I don't see any of his other attars here either .
    I do see Sultan Pasha's Ensar Rose though .

    Thank you and what a wonderful review.
    best wishes
    Hi JBS1, thanks! I think that those entries need to be submitted separately, through Grant or Judith? Only the oils I wrote about in the article got a product link or page, because Grant adds those in when he is uploading any article we write (unless it's already there, of course). As for the EDP and the attars, timing was an issue - I conducted this interview over a year ago and during the wait for publication, the attars and EDP must have come out, so I didn't get any samples. Things are happening so quickly these days with new attar/mukhallat launches that I can barely keep up. I am close to finishing my guide to attars, mukhallats, ouds, and CPOs, but I am worried that a good 20% of the oils I review will have disappeared before I publish it!

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,907

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Wow, Claire. Great interview! And the sampler link’s giving me some itchy fingers..lol.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow, Claire. Great interview! And the sampler link’s giving me some itchy fingers..lol.
    Thanks so much, Diamondflame! Which one are you tempted by - the oud or the sandalwood sampler? I hope at some point that the attars gain enough traction that they too are offered as a sampler.

  22. #22
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    28,521

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Claire, thanks for sharing this!

    I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Hi JBS1, thanks! I think that those entries need to be submitted separately, through Grant or Judith? Only the oils I wrote about in the article got a product link or page, because Grant adds those in when he is uploading any article we write (unless it's already there, of course). As for the EDP and the attars, timing was an issue - I conducted this interview over a year ago and during the wait for publication, the attars and EDP must have come out, so I didn't get any samples. Things are happening so quickly these days with new attar/mukhallat launches that I can barely keep up. I am close to finishing my guide to attars, mukhallats, ouds, and CPOs, but I am worried that a good 20% of the oils I review will have disappeared before I publish it!
    Thank you so much for the feedback.
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

  24. #24

    Default Thank youRe: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Thank you for this really great read! I now know a few more things about Oud. What I thought before was that it is a medisinal note in perfumes originating from a tree's bark. If Ensar had decided to take a different path he would probably had come up with vaccines against terminal illnesses! Sounds like a remarkable man. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try his precious oils soon. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford them. Thanks again!

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: Thank youRe: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by michailG View Post
    Thank you for this really great read! I now know a few more things about Oud. What I thought before was that it is a medisinal note in perfumes originating from a tree's bark. If Ensar had decided to take a different path he would probably had come up with vaccines against terminal illnesses! Sounds like a remarkable man. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try his precious oils soon. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford them. Thanks again!
    Hello .
    If you would like to know about the trees , here's a quick video link from Ensar's You Tube Channel
    Watching and listening as well as reading has helped me to understand a bit more about agarwood.
    Here's the link ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4p6AwqqiU&t=1s
    Hopefully this along with this great interview from Claire helps.
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

  26. #26
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    San Antonio,Texas
    Posts
    96
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Excellent Article! Very in depth with lots of interesting information.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    What really doesn't come across in this article is that the Oud scene is pretty vibrant, and there are some excellent vendors out there. The likes of Agar Aura, Oudimentary, Al Shareef Oudh, Imperial Oud, Rising Phoenix Perfumery - just to name a few. These vendors are all approachable, honest, and offer some very fine oils and woods. Some of these vendors have been around for a long time, some more recent, some are exploring exciting distillation techniques, and some find and share vintage treasures.

    Despite there being some rip offs and questionable marketing in the wider market, the "Western" oud market is now a lot more collegial than the impression you may get reading this article - particularly with the abovementioned vendors and distillers. There is a forum ouddict.com where oud lovers, vendors and distillers converse and support each other and provide much useful and interesting information. While Ensar provides a particular perspective, there are, and always have been alternative and more positive perspectives and practices.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    That's wonderful input and I really appreciate hearing it. Many thanks!

  29. #29
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Thank youRe: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by michailG View Post
    Thank you for this really great read! I now know a few more things about Oud. What I thought before was that it is a medisinal note in perfumes originating from a tree's bark. If Ensar had decided to take a different path he would probably had come up with vaccines against terminal illnesses! Sounds like a remarkable man. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try his precious oils soon. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford them. Thanks again!
    Hi Michail, welcome and thanks for commenting. Yes, oud is an expensive area to get into, I agree. I'll be publishing a book on attars and pure ouds soon, after which I plan to organize a sample pass with pure ouds, so please keep an eye out for that. It could be a way for you to sample at no cost to yourself. Thank you, JBS1, for linking to that YT video, as I think it's one thing to read about oud oils and another thing to see the actual trees from whence the resinated wood comes. Fascinating stuff, isn't it!

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus

    ClaireV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Conversations with the Artisan: Ensar of Ensar Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    What really doesn't come across in this article is that the Oud scene is pretty vibrant, and there are some excellent vendors out there. The likes of Agar Aura, Oudimentary, Al Shareef Oudh, Imperial Oud, Rising Phoenix Perfumery - just to name a few. These vendors are all approachable, honest, and offer some very fine oils and woods. Some of these vendors have been around for a long time, some more recent, some are exploring exciting distillation techniques, and some find and share vintage treasures.

    Despite there being some rip offs and questionable marketing in the wider market, the "Western" oud market is now a lot more collegial than the impression you may get reading this article - particularly with the abovementioned vendors and distillers. There is a forum ouddict.com where oud lovers, vendors and distillers converse and support each other and provide much useful and interesting information. While Ensar provides a particular perspective, there are, and always have been alternative and more positive perspectives and practices.
    Hi Sparky, thank you for your comment. My intent for the Conversations with the Artisan series here on Basenotes was not intended to provide an overview of any one segment of the market but to shed light on the lives, observations, and thoughts of the individual artisans, whether it be artisanal oud, attars, sandalwood, or other essential oils. I have previously interviewed JK DeLapp of Rising Phoenix Perfumery and Trgyve Harris of Enfleurage, for example, and I encourage you to look those interviews up.

    I agree with you that the oud scene is far more varied and vibrant than one artisan alone, be it Ensar or anyone else. I have great respect for other vendors such as Imperial Oud, Al Shareef Oudh, Agaur Aura, and many others, and have had the pleasure of sampling their ouds. That said, I would have thought it was obvious that an interview with one artisan in the field does not preclude admiration for another, nor does one viewpoint cancel out another. I would trust anyone who reads this interview to come equipped with that basic understanding.

    There are, as you say, many vendors and many different points of view represented on fora such as Ouddict, Gaharu, as well as the oud forum here on Basenotes. I follow them all, and trust that anyone interested in oud does so too. However, with the frequent in-fighting, the Ensar v. other vendors, re-selling drama, and insular nature of the community, I can understand why a newcomer to oud would find these fora intimidating and overwhelming. With this series of interviews, I am hoping to reach out to the casual browsers of the oud scene and/or beginners, shine a spotlight on to the work of some individual artisans, and maybe even encourage them to step inside.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000