Code of Conduct

Default Aramis Devin "Country"

I've no idea how old this is, picked it up for $8. There's about 1.5 oz left. Good deal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Aramis Devin "Country"

$8 for anything devin is a steal. Congrats!

I don't know what country cologne means. My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that it is the regular Devin, which Estee Lauder (owner of Aramis) though of making appear more masculine byadding the word country, on the assumption that American men back then would not have conceived wearing something remotely associated with such a feminine thing as perfume.

cacio

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    $8 for anything devin is a steal. Congrats!

I don't know what country cologne means. My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that it is the regular Devin, which Estee Lauder (owner of Aramis) though of making appear more masculine byadding the word country, on the assumption that American men back then would not have conceived wearing something remotely associated with such a feminine thing as perfume.

cacio
    The term "Country Cologne" was pretty much on all the bottles or boxes of Devin after the earlt 80's in the US. Even the Gentleman's Collection version has it on the sticker.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

Thanks! Never noticed.
    I wonder if in these new times Aramis will ever come out with a "parfum" version of their colognes.
    cacio

Thanks! Never noticed.
    I wonder if in these new times Aramis will ever come out with a "parfum" version of their colognes.
    cacio
    They once did with the ultra rare Aramis Super Cologne launched in '77, and a few years ago with the EdT Concentree (which they stupidly discontinued).
    But that's probably the closest you'll get.
    /martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Marand

thanks! amazing that Estee Lauder dared put the name "eau de toilette" on a product for men. but perhaps it did so only in Europe...

cacio

Marand

thanks! amazing that Estee Lauder dared put the name "eau de toilette" on a product for men. but perhaps it did so only in Europe...

cacio
    You're right, cacio. In the beginning it was 'cologne' in the US and 'eau de cologne' in Europe. So it was for many years, until it all became 'eau de toilette'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little late here, but my Devin is in that same bottle. Yes, it's excellent, and yes, $8 was ridiculously worth it!

Never sniffed the Gentleman's Collection version, so I can't speak to any differences, but it has to be at least medium-vintage.

I will note that various comments about Devin being weak or light never made sense to me. This stuff is pretty intense and long lasting to my nose. Not sure if that's related to a formulation change, or just different noses.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm a little late here, but my Devin is in that same bottle. Yes, it's excellent, and yes, $8 was ridiculously worth it!

Never sniffed the Gentleman's Collection version, so I can't speak to any differences, but it has to be at least medium-vintage.

I will note that various comments about Devin being weak or light never made sense to me. This stuff is pretty intense and long lasting to my nose. Not sure if that's related to a formulation change, or just different noses.
    Gentleman's collection is from that phase when pure oakmoss was restricted, so designers mixed in "tree moss" (which is sharper and less buttery), so newer Devin actually plays more into the green factor of the top notes, but is no less strong. I imagine folks saying it's weak are probably anosmic to some if it's ingredients, as I tend to be with white musks.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Gentleman's collection is from that phase when pure oakmoss was restricted, so designers mixed in "tree moss" (which is sharper and less buttery), so newer Devin actually plays more into the green factor of the top notes, but is no less strong. I imagine folks saying it's weak are probably anosmic to some if it's ingredients, as I tend to be with white musks.
    I've got both Devin and Tuscany from the GC. Both are 2017. And here' the kicker: Devin contains oakmoss and no treemoss - Tuscany contains neither of those.. That makes no sense to me.
    Devin I just can't wear. The galbanum is so sharp and overpowering it's not even funny, and is all over pretty quickly.
    The Tuscany I spiked with some pure oakmoss and a bit of leather, and it turned out smelling pretty darn good.
    Must get me some vtg Devin, though. It can only be a thousand times better.

/martin

Marand
    Devin is similar to Aliage (same brand). Not sure how current Aliage compares to current Devin though.
    cacio