Code of Conduct
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't tried either of those first two, but I did wear Stetson a couple times not long after its initial release (and tried that old bottle again from time to time since 2008). I can see how you would see them as similar, but it's almost like there is one note diference that makes a huge difference, at least to me - could that be sage in Stetson? Oland is much more "relaxed" and sort of spread out, whereas with Stetson it's like everything is focused on a piercing accord.
    Stetson is very heavy on sage, so that might be a key. Also, Öland has bay leaf in it.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

DEEP WOODS 1974. Basic Barbershop Lavender ,Herbal, Citrus, Patchouli woodiness. Minimal sweetness. Simple structure that emphasizes no ingredient over another. Slap a little Galbanum-esque Clary Sage, Honeyed Amber and touch of Tonka and you have an outrageous scent, not unlike Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.
    Avon, with Deep Woods, supplies a Conservative 60's style "cleanliness" that I will take almost always over any 90's up Ozonic, Aqua nonsense.
    Simply. This smells good, on me, for about 4 hours, when it melts away into a mild, sawdust, woodiness.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    DEEP WOODS 1974. Basic Barbershop Lavender ,Herbal, Citrus, Patchouli woodiness. Minimal sweetness. Simple structure that emphasizes no ingredient over another. Slap a little Galbanum-esque Clary Sage, Honeyed Amber and touch of Tonka and you have an outrageous scent, not unlike Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.
    Avon, with Deep Woods, supplies a Conservative 60's style "cleanliness" that I will take almost always over any 90's up Ozonic, Aqua nonsense.
    Simply. This smells good, on me, for about 4 hours, when it melts away into a mild, sawdust, woodiness.
    To me I get a bit of "proto-Halston" in the middle. Do you?

Basenotes Plus

So far, I am finding this stroll through Vintage Avon Masculines very enjoyable. I have found little to fault in structure, blend and ingredient. It seems, Avon, with it's marketing of Male scent, sensibly concentrated upon a target to, a Conservative, North American Feminine audience, who may have wanted their men to scent of, Stability, Trust and Rugged Manliness.
    Bottling may seem rather Kitsch today, however it touches the soul, of a Masculine fascination, with Gear, Machinery, Building, Conquering and is more symbolically Phallic, than Yonic.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    To me I get a bit of "proto-Halston" in the middle. Do you?
    Yes, I do agree.

Halston, (another under-rate House), brought forward a more sophisticated 70's Conservative, NorthEastern and Northwestern esthetic.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

So far, I am finding this stroll through Vintage Avon Masculines very enjoyable. I have found little to fault in structure, blend and ingredient. It seems, Avon, with it's marketing of Male scent, sensibly concentrated upon a target to, a Conservative, North American Feminine audience, who may have wanted their men to scent of, Stability, Trust and Rugged Manliness.
    Bottling may seem rather Kitsch today, however it touches the soul, of a Masculine fascination, with Gear, Machinery, Building, Conquering and is more symbolically Phallic, than Yonic.
    Poetic observation!

Yes, I do agree.

Halston, (another under-rate House), brought forward a more sophisticated 70's Conservative, NorthEastern and Northwestern esthetic.
    I was rocking Z-14 in the early aughts while everyone else was in aquatics.

(BTW the 90's had some amazing fougčres)

Basenotes Plus

Oland by Avon

My first review of this was based on applying as a Splash. Spritzing into the crook of my arm, from ZC's sample, has this competing well with (my dwindle of Aigner No.1)
    Smack in the middle of this is, a really beautiful, Iris Heart that is wrapped up in a Bouquet of Carnation. Background skank pillows and accentuates a bit of green Floral texture.
    Doesn't quite meet the, under the surface, Carameled and Buttered Spice of the Aigner or the bright,vivid Orris, of today's Contemporary taste, however it proves to be a favourite of mine, for a day like today, where I've not showered for a couple and my own skank gives this stuff a boost.

Recommended. Period.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Oland by Avon

My first review of this was based on applying as a Splash. Spritzing into the crook of my arm, from ZC's sample, has this competing well with (my dwindle of Aigner No.1)
    Smack in the middle of this is, a really beautiful, Iris Heart that is wrapped up in a Bouquet of Carnation. Background skank pillows and accentuates a bit of green Floral texture.
    Doesn't quite meet the, under the surface, Carameled and Buttered Spice of the Aigner or the bright,vivid Orris, of today's Contemporary taste, however it proves to be a favourite of mine, for a day like today, where I've not showered for a couple and my own skank gives this stuff a boost.

Recommended. Period.
    I love Öland so much yet I tend to wear Tai Winds more. I think the wet shaving compatibility has something to do with that.

Basenotes Plus

BLEND 7 by Avon

Opening is a startle as Anise and green catches. The bloom of rather perfumey Jasmine, LOV oomph as simile to that of Lauder for Men. Very pleasant Ambered Smoky Tobacco Tonka base lasts nicely on drydown. The Anise drifts in/out for a bit and had me feeling a little Knize Ten leather-ness. Fades in a couple of hours, so it invites another spritz.
    Overall a beautiful composition. With timing, the Designer competition were gearing up with the likes of Paco Rabanne PH,Givenchy Gentleman etc, so it probably was overlooked by most. Shame.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

BLEND 7 by Avon

Opening is a startle as Anise and green catches. The bloom of rather perfumey Jasmine, LOV oomph as simile to that of Lauder for Men. Very pleasant Ambered Smoky Tobacco Tonka base lasts nicely on drydown. The Anise drifts in/out for a bit and had me feeling a little Knize Ten leather-ness. Fades in a couple of hours, so it invites another spritz.
    Overall a beautiful composition. With timing, the Designer competition were gearing up with the likes of Paco Rabanne PH,Givenchy Gentleman etc, so it probably was overlooked by most. Shame.
    I love this stuff so much and it's not expensive but just rarely comes up as often on the bay. For a while, I was grabbing every listing I saw to ensure I can keep enjoying it. I need some of this as aftershave too.

Basenotes Plus

BLEND 7 by Avon

Blend 7 wound up winning me over with its development, even though I started out disliking it. That chervil-like anise in it won me over, reminding me of cocktail bitters.

Can't wait for you to try the Clint, PC. I loved that one, with its Azuree/Cabochard leathery references.
    What's improper about it? retorted the clerk. Everybody does it in Paris!
    It was an irresistible and conclusive argument.

―Gustave Flaubert

Basenotes Plus

CLINT by Avon

First of all,this, is a Big hit for me.
    That said the opening Adelehydes may please those who remember the Brutal opening of Aramis Vintage. It quickly dies down to Heart of Clary Sage (a fave of mine) and a Floral Woody Dry Patched Leather reminscent to the Aigner No.1 and even whispers of the sweeter, Vaunted Bel Ami et greener, Cabochard. Another joy is the Mossy, Vetiver and Do I feel a touch Labdanum? base , which carries the gently into about four hours of gentlemanly leathered, skin scent. Bliss.
    I am one of those who have respect for Aramis and will reach for the Vintage Cabochard, Clint, first.

Basenotes Plus

CLINT by Avon

Hurrah!

and even whispers of the sweeter, Vaunted Bel Ami
    <faints>

―Gustave Flaubert

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

CLINT by Avon

That said the opening Adelehydes may please those who remember the Brutal opening of Aramis Vintage. It quickly dies down to Heart of Clary Sage (a fave of mine) and a Floral Woody Dry Patched Leather reminscent to the Aigner No.1 and even whispers of the sweeter, Vaunted Bel Ami et greener, Cabochard. Another joy is the Mossy, Vetiver and Do I feel a touch Labdanum? base , which carries the gently into about four hours of gentlemanly leathered, skin scent. Bliss.
    I am one of those who have respect for Aramis and will reach for the Vintage Cabochard, Clint, first.
    Clint is definitely a winner for me too.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Hurrah!

<faints>
    "and even whispers of the sweeter, Vaunted Bel Ami"

Hee Hee. You Bit!!

Basenotes Plus

"and even whispers of the sweeter, Vaunted Bel Ami"

Hee Hee. You Bit!!
    If I ever find one of those Avon screwdriver bottles full of Clint, I'm getting it. You can keep your cocktail shaker full of Bel Ami.

―Gustave Flaubert

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

If I ever find one of those Avon screwdriver bottles full of Clint, I'm getting it. You can keep your cocktail shaker full of Bel Ami.
    They made it in regular bottles too!

Basenotes Plus

Windjammer by Avon

Opens with an astringent Citrus that overwhelms the yucky Tonka-ed Musk. Scents cheap,thrown together, Barbershop and stomach churning for me.
    Almost scrubbed. Glad I didn't. Drydown is exquisitely Mossed and Wooded. Melts into my Masculine skin. The mix with Male Hormone has me wanting to cuddle myself. This must be Vintage.

Basenotes Plus

Windjammer by Avon

Opens with an astringent Citrus that overwhelms the yucky Tonka-ed Musk. Scents cheap,thrown together, Barbershop and stomach churning for me.
    Almost scrubbed. Glad I didn't. Drydown is exquisitely Mossed and Wooded. Melts into my Masculine skin. The mix with Male Hormone has me wanting to cuddle myself. This must be Vintage.
    I wasn't as tenacious as you, and I scrubbed it. Sounds like I missed the best part, but I just couldn't handle all that Ivory Soap musk.

―Gustave Flaubert

Basenotes Plus

I wasn't as tenacious as you, and I scrubbed it. Sounds like I missed the best part, but I just couldn't handle all that Ivory Soap musk.
    Yeah. I think, this is one, that needs Male Hormone mixed in to shine. It's not one that I would seek to have my Girl wear.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Yeah. I think, this is one, that needs Male Hormone mixed in to shine. It's not one that I would seek to have my Girl wear.
    For me, Windjammer scents like a Pino Silvestri with a mossier base and less pine. I think the citric soap notes are the 60's attempt at "aquatic".

Basenotes Plus

Avon Leather

Basic, 3 point Leather. Citrus, Dusty, Dry Tobacco, Moss. Not as ornate and sweet as the Oland. Soapy Sheepra drydown. Mixes with my cumin-ed armpit to produce a Clean Masculine scent. Bit of lipstick on the collar. Nice, Conservative, Masculine.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Avon Leather

Basic, 3 point Leather. Citrus, Dusty, Dry Tobacco, Moss. Not as ornate and sweet as the Oland. Soapy Sheepra drydown. Mixes with my cumin-ed armpit to produce a Clean Masculine scent. Bit of lipstick on the collar. Nice, Conservative, Masculine.
    I have enough of this stuff in aftershave and cologne form to fill a bucket. I love it.