Code of Conduct
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Wild Country Avon Vintage, is a Musk Bomb!
    Now I want you to picture an 8 year old Diddy bathing in the stuff. It’s the not hard to imagine how I became known for being ‘Cologne Kid’, cause innocent bystanders had no choice but to smell me for a looooong time. That’s the fragrance that started me off on my journey.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Now I want you to picture an 8 year old Diddy bathing in the stuff. It’s the not hard to imagine how I became known for being ‘Cologne Kid’, cause innocent bystanders had no choice but to smell me for a looooong time. That’s the fragrance that started me off on my journey.
    You must have been quite the little topic of conversation at the crawfish boil. Or, lord help us, in church.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You must have been quite the little topic of conversation at the crawfish boil. Or, lord help us, in church.
    Lawd, lawd, lawd, I got some looks in church. And even had people make remarks to my parents that I needed to stop wearing fragrance. As I got older, I went more specific in my choices for church. For intance, 3 sprays of Fahrenheit. Lord forgive me for torturing those souls with sinus issues. I do regret that now and am far more considerate to any situation may be in tight quarters with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Lawd, lawd, lawd, I got some looks in church. And even had people make remarks to my parents that I needed to stop wearing fragrance. As I got older, I went more specific in my choices for church. For intance, 3 sprays of Fahrenheit. Lord forgive me for torturing those souls with sinus issues. I do regret that now and am far more considerate to any situation may be in tight quarters with others.
    My "church scent" as a teen in the 80's was English Leather. I don't think I wore enough to garner complaints, but my mental association will always be there..

Basenotes Plus

Default Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    My "church scent" as a teen in the 80's was English Leather. I don't think I wore enough to garner complaints, but my mental association will always be there..
    I did rotate things. It was not always Fahrenheit. Sometimes it was Gucci Nobile or another scent that I had no idea would one day become an expensive unicorn etc. Funny to look back on those days. I guess I just assumed stuff like Nobile would always be in production.

Basenotes Plus

TAI WINDS by Avon

I have to say, that out of all these wonderful Avon scents, this is perfectly awful. It is a sweeter Tonka fougere, very similar to Faberge Brut-al. This a scent of 60's early 70's sleazy Discotheques. Buy Vintage Old Spice. Leave this and Brut on the shelves to macerate for another 30 years
    My wife encouraged me to scrub.
    There are modern scents that have ,Tonka and Musk, as a study, superior.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

TAI WINDS by Avon

I have to say, that out of all these wonderful Avon scents, this is perfectly awful. It is a sweeter Tonka fougere, very similar to Faberge Brut-al. This a scent of 60's early 70's sleazy Discotheques. Buy Vintage Old Spice. Leave this and Brut on the shelves to macerate for another 30 years
    My wife encouraged me to scrub.
    There are modern scents that have ,Tonka and Musk, as a study, superior.
    Camel couldn't handle the power of the Tai Winds either? It'll put chest hair on your chest hair.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Poor Tai Winds. Nobody loves it but the Devil Dragon -- which I guess is probably appropriate.

Poor Tai Winds. Nobody loves it but the Devil Dragon -- which I guess is probably appropriate.
    Count me in! Yes, I pretty much reserve it for days when I'm hanging out by myself or maybe going to the store, but I dig it..

IMG_7585.jpg

Count me in! Yes, I pretty much reserve it for days when I'm hanging out by myself or maybe going to the store, but I dig it..

IMG_7585.jpg
    It made my list of favorites! And the pipe bottle suits it well. Definitely one of the standouts for me. But I expected my favorites would be different from most of the group's preferences. Just how it usually goes.

Whoa! That’s a great looking bottle, gotta say!
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    It made my list of favorites! And the pipe bottle suits it well. Definitely one of the standouts for me. But I expected my favorites would be different from most of the group's preferences. Just how it usually goes.
    I stand corrected! I'd forgotten you liked Tai Winds, PL. You did say you found it "a breath of fresh air"...."compared to the room-filling woody-ambers of today". But c'mon, now -- that's a pretty low bar.

Wild Country Avon Vintage, is a Musk Bomb!
    Hey, another getting the big musk from Wild Country! It's well integrated, but definitely loud and proud, and high quality.

Agree with your general comments above about vintage Avon being such a pleasure in a modern context. Good ingredients, used skillfully to make unselfconsciously good smelling things. It's just...nice. That Tai Winds, though, comes for the throat out of left field, holy cow.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 26th March 2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typos galore, holy mackerel
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_7585.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hey, another getting the big musk from Wild Country! It's well intengrated, but definitely loud and pround, and high quality.

Agree with your general comments above about vintage Avon being such a pleasure in a modern context. Good ingredients, used skillfully to unselfconsciously good smelling things. It's just...nice. That Tai Winds, though, comes for the throat out of left field, holy cow.
    If Avon was ever guilty of making a "Cynical 70's" fragrance, Tai Winds is probably it, but that's kinda why I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    If Avon was ever guilty of making a "Cynical 70's" fragrance, Tai Winds is probably it, but that's kinda why I dig it.
    Avon's olfactory "Hold my beer.."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Avon's olfactory "Hold my beer.."
    Pretty accurate, considering it came AFTER all the stuff like Brut, Jade East, Hai Karate, Oriental Jade, Black Belt, Roman Brio, etc. Back then the "sillage wars" weren't focused on oakmoss and animalics like the 80's, or even today's ambroxide and woody chem bombs, but rather good ol' tonka and musk. Tai Winds had weapon's grade quantities of them, with enough oakmoss underpinning to make you reach for a gasmask.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Not sure if PC did the final sample. If so, I'll do a closing final word and we can lay this thread to rest