Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Oh, Notorious is so good too, Cook.bot! Haven't watched that one in a while which is something I will remedy soon. I did just watch Vertigo but that pairing is a must! '57 and '58 and both V words, lol! Too good to resist and I do love Vertigo.

You need samples of Aqua Net and CKOne. There's your pass.
    You're forgetting Fabergé Organics balsam and protein shampoo.
    oh look, I have a signature

^Omg, I loved Faberge shampoos (and a few of their perfumes)! Also, anything with balsam in the name. The 80s smelled gooood.

Avon for Men-1949
    ZC wasn't kidding about little info out there on these. His description in the OP is the best information there is on this one, I think. I'm hardly subjective here as I find barbershop style scents to be generally swoon-worthy. There are a few that are too harsh, a few are just too damn loud but mostly I love this category. Avon for Men is neither of those things; this is a really nice one.

I get mostly menthol, lavender and rosemary at the start. A general herby mentholated vibe is the gist of this scent, but quite a lot going on here. Most notably, a beautifully delicate heliotrope is woven through, veering between cherry pie and cherry pipe tobacco. Never at any time does this note become heavy, overly sweet or domineering, as heliotrope can do. One of the lightest, airiest heliotropes I've smelled. Those who don't like this note need not be afraid.

I'm reminded of the way menthol and amber create friction against one another in brisk aftershaves like Aqua Velva. But better than that, to my nose. Probably a bunch of old musks and maybe a touch of oakmoss in the base-definitely something dry, dark and bitter lurking in the base, providing still more tension against the plusher notes. I like this a lot! It's nothing shocking for Basenoters; anyone who's even smelled a scent as recent as Boy Chanel is familiar with the style. Nice to think that something this good was meant to be affordable, though.

About the Rear Window pairing, this scent is all wrong for L.B. Jeffries. Too dandified and fussy for him. This is more like the scent worn by the guy we'd expect to see with Lisa. That guy is not about to break his leg photographing a race, as L.B. did. But the movie did give me good context; released in 1954, so not terribly far off from our 1949. Again, I think more of Lisa; specifically two of her dresses that wouldn't have been out of place in Dior's original 1947 New Look collection. I think a lot of the gents she let get away probably smelled something like Avon for Men.

What a treasure; so glad to have sniffed this!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Avon for Men sounds promising. A 1949 release is nicely old school.

I'll have to watch / re-watch Notorious. I'm not remembering it. I like Hitchcock films. They're slices of cake, rather than slices of life, he claimed. Rightly, I think. Vertigo, Spellbound, and Rebecca are a few of my favorites.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

^Omg, I loved Faberge shampoos (and a few of their perfumes)! Also, anything with balsam in the name. The 80s smelled gooood.

Avon for Men-1949
    ZC wasn't kidding about little info out there on these. His description in the OP is the best information there is on this one, I think. I'm hardly subjective here as I find barbershop style scents to be generally swoon-worthy. There are a few that are too harsh, a few are just too damn loud but mostly I love this category. Avon for Men is neither of those things; this is a really nice one.

I get mostly menthol, lavender and rosemary at the start. A general herby mentholated vibe is the gist of this scent, but quite a lot going on here. Most notably, a beautifully delicate heliotrope is woven through, veering between cherry pie and cherry pipe tobacco. Never at any time does this note become heavy, overly sweet or domineering, as heliotrope can do. One of the lightest, airiest heliotropes I've smelled. Those who don't like this note need not be afraid.

I'm reminded of the way menthol and amber create friction against one another in brisk aftershaves like Aqua Velva. But better than that, to my nose. Probably a bunch of old musks and maybe a touch of oakmoss in the base-definitely something dry, dark and bitter lurking in the base, providing still more tension against the plusher notes. I like this a lot! It's nothing shocking for Basenoters; anyone who's even smelled a scent as recent as Boy Chanel is familiar with the style. Nice to think that something this good was meant to be affordable, though.

About the Rear Window pairing, this scent is all wrong for L.B. Jeffries. Too dandified and fussy for him. This is more like the scent worn by the guy we'd expect to see with Lisa. That guy is not about to break his leg photographing a race, as L.B. did. But the movie did give me good context; released in 1954, so not terribly far off from our 1949. Again, I think more of Lisa; specifically two of her dresses that wouldn't have been out of place in Dior's original 1947 New Look collection. I think a lot of the gents she let get away probably smelled something like Avon for Men.

What a treasure; so glad to have sniffed this!
    One of the reasons I love this so much is it acts just like it's intended to: the menthol cools the face if you use it as an after shave, but because it's also meant to be worn as a fragrance, it will last hours, and I often just wear it (as I'm sure Avon reps encouraged half a century ago) as a scent.

I loved this shampoo, then *poof* it was gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Avon for Men sounds promising. A 1949 release is nicely old school.

I'll have to watch / re-watch Notorious. I'm not remembering it. I like Hitchcock films. They're slices of cake, rather than slices of life, he claimed. Rightly, I think. Vertigo, Spellbound, and Rebecca are a few of my favorites.
    It also goes under Avon Original after 1963, and they relabelled it as "After Shave Lotion", but I have some of that newer stock too and let me tell you, it's still every bit cologne strength.

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Never saw that one! Sometimes my mom would cheap out and get the White Rain when it was on sale too.

I remember seeing Dimension! I'm afraid I can't recall the scent but love that packaging!

Yep, it's an aftershave and then some, Zealot Crusader. I can see why you love it!

Spellbound is another I need to see again; good pick, Bavard! Vertigo is definitely on my agenda. This one is like Rear Window; I could probably just recite the whole movie. One of my top picks, too!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I remember seeing Dimension! I'm afraid I can't recall the scent but love that packaging!

Yep, it's an aftershave and then some, Zealot Crusader. I can see why you love it!

Spellbound is another I need to see again; good pick, Bavard! Vertigo is definitely on my agenda. This one is like Rear Window; I could probably just recite the whole movie. One of my top picks, too!
    The only noticeable thing between older bottles labeled "cologne" and newer bottles labeled "after shave lotion" is the juice color. There isn't really a lot (if any) citrus in this, so the top notes don't really suffer from age, and every variety smells nearly identical, which is good.

Yes, I thought it to be exceptionally well preserved, ZC. My nose actually noted a distinct lack of citrus, which doesn't mean there isn't any-just that it's not prominent. If pressed, I might say thyme in the topnotes in addition to the lavender, rosemary and menthol. Apparently herbal notes can age pretty dang well, which is something I hadn't thought about before. A nice thing to know; I love herbal scents.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Yes, I thought it to be exceptionally well preserved, ZC. My nose actually noted a distinct lack of citrus, which doesn't mean there isn't any-just that it's not prominent. If pressed, I might say thyme in the topnotes in addition to the lavender, rosemary and menthol. Apparently herbal notes can age pretty dang well, which is something I hadn't thought about before. A nice thing to know; I love herbal scents.
    I have gotten a few skunk bottles of old Avon, like my Excalibur (1969), which I was sadly unable to include in the pass for that reason.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'll have to watch / re-watch Notorious. I'm not remembering it.
    Hands down my favorite Hitchcock. Much as I love the later classics like North by Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window, there's something about that luscious black & white cinematography that stuns me. (I feel similarly about Shadow of a Doubt.) Add in the brilliant villain of the mother-in-law, the perfect McGuffin, the impeccable Claude Rains and the chemistry of Grant/Bergman, and it's the whole package for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Hands down my favorite Hitchcock. Much as I love the later classics like North by Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window, there's something about that luscious black & white cinematography that stuns me. (I feel similarly about Shadow of a Doubt.) Add in the brilliant villain of the mother-in-law, the perfect McGuffin, the impeccable Claude Rains and the chemistry of Grant/Bergman, and it's the whole package for me.
    I have a collector's set of all the b&w Hitch movies! Almost as precious as my perfume collection. Suspicion is another that pops to mind as one that just looks beautiful in black and white.

I've skipped ahead a bit to the 1970s, because I've been curious about Oland, and because Blend 7 (which I haven't applied yet) is from my birth year. Have started with Oland and Tai Winds, with skin reserved for the other two 70s scents to be tried shortly.

Oland-definitely a Stetson precursor, as already noted in some reviews. I loved Stetson and love this too, even more so. It is also very obviously an older brother of Avon's own feminine, Timeless (my all-time favorite femme Avon), which came just a few years later. The heart of Timeless is somewhere between the floral aldehydics like No. 5 and the warm, soft leathery vibe of vintage Shalimar and its imitators. It's as if that idea was laid right on top of Oland, using the masculine as a base accord. If I have my choice between a riot of synthy florals (as in Stetson) or some good, clean orris, I'll take the orris every time. And Oland has a load of it, good quality at that. It manages to be both fresh-scrubbed soapiness and plush powderiness at once. Clearly, Oland and I were destined to be friends. The leathery, ambery tobacco drydown may not have been earth shattering even in 1970 but it's something I always find satisfying when done well, as it is here. A handsome gem and I'm just so impressed by this iris. No pretentions whatsoever, just a very good smell; nice to be around.

Tai Winds-just two years after Oland, and a far cry from it. Now this was a fairly new idea at the time and nice to see Avon not repeating themselves much at that point. Avon is now quite repetitive in their releases, due to modern tastes and the fact that they've caught the flanker virus, just like the major designer houses. I know they need to produce what will sell in its time, but Tai Winds is a sad reminder of what "modern" and "fresh" used to mean. It's a lavender citrus musky thing in the vein of Brut (which my dad wore occasionally), which was only a few years old at the time of Tai Winds. It wears more refined than Brut though, not so loud and shouty. The musks feel smoother, less prickly than Brut. This was a very new idea and surely would have pleased Avon's customer base at the time; I'm guessing this did well for them. Compared to the ugly, room-filling woody ambers of masculines of today, this smells new and fresh all over again. I would find a gent wearing this today to be a breath of fresh air. Just lovely.

I'm finding a lot of lavender notes in these Avons so far, ZC-is this a favorite note of yours? It's certainly one of mine!

Still to go today: Blend 7 and Everest!

Blend 7- not sure what to make of this one. I will say it is neither love nor hate for me. It's pleasant to smell, if a bit directionless. And pretty dang sweet. Fragrantica labels this an aromatic fougere. I can agree with aromatic; not so sure about fougere. It does share some notes with a standard fougere but it lacks any green, ferny oomph to my nose. There's a bit of galbanum, which certainly lends a green vibe but the scent is all about sugared anise and tonka hay for me. Very sweet anise, as close to Lolita Lempicka as it is any masculine fougere I can think of. I have no idea how to categorize this and suspect Avon didn't really, either. Maybe they were being artsy, which IMO is not what Avon does best. It smells good, yes, but not a favorite for me. Boo, 1973, I wanted better from you! But points for the oakmossy base, always a pleasure to run into oakmoss. And again, totally different from any of their previous masculines; seems they were striving for a diverse catalog of men's fragrances, which I can appreciate. Also, I love anise but not when sweetened into licorice territory. And did I say sweet? Yes, just too sweet.

And lastly for today, Everest-maybe not mountain fresh but very, very fresh indeed. I loved everything about the opening of this-minty lavender evergreen awesomeness. Love the bergamot, gentle and tea-like. Again, nothing new in these times but this must have been quite the weird little freshie back in its day. I can't really think of anything like it from the 70s. If any complaint, it would be simply that I love the gleaming topnotes so much that I long for a more angular counterpoint to continue into the sweet, vanillic tobacco base. No matter though, the drydown is good as is.

Today has been a great sampling day; 3 likes and 1 . No out and out dislikes so far!

I should probably mention, I'm on track to mail these along probably by Thursday. Who's next?

Oland-definitely a Stetson precursor, as already noted in some reviews.
    This was my first vintage Avon (I picked it up for the Ship-in-a-Bottle design, I thought it might have been Old Spice related until I saw the "Avon" on the paper label on the neck of the bottle) and I didn't know what to think of it. Reminded me of English Leather, but sweeter. I'm sure many have dismissed this upon sniffing it directly from the bottle (especially if they picked it up FOR the decanter design and not the juice) and that's a shame because the joy of this fragrance really appears after application. And to think I was actually nervous to use this aftersahve because it was so old. Now I slap on vintage Avons with reckless abandon. I now have 11 of the vintage scents in my collection and Oland remains the most impressive of the bunch (the Bay Rum is lovely, but it's a near perfect take on a classic DNA, not so much an "Avon" invention as the others are)

Tai Winds-just two years after Oland, and a far cry from it. .. It wears more refined than Brut though, not so loud and shouty. ... Compared to the ugly, room-filling woody ambers of masculines of today, this smells new and fresh all over again. I would find a gent wearing this today to be a breath of fresh air. Just lovely.
    Along with Deep Woods and Windjammer, these are the Avons that feel most "of their time" - you'd probably never get anyone releasing a "new" fragrance like these in 2018.
    If you want to wear something that will totally NOT smell like you just came from Macy's or Dillard's, Tai Winds is certainly one to reach for. You'll feel like you stepped right out of an episode of Starsky and Hutch or Shaft. (and I agree, it's deeper and generally more interesting than Brut)

Wow, thanks for these details impressions, PerfumedLady! I'm getting really excited here. It's amazing how high the average quality (apparently) is, given that these were specifically intended to be "everyday Joe" cheap scents of the time. Really shows the evolution in materials usage at the low end of the price bracket.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have a collector's set of all the b&w Hitch movies! Almost as precious as my perfume collection. Suspicion is another that pops to mind as one that just looks beautiful in black and white.

I've skipped ahead a bit to the 1970s, because I've been curious about Oland, and because Blend 7 (which I haven't applied yet) is from my birth year. Have started with Oland and Tai Winds, with skin reserved for the other two 70s scents to be tried shortly.

Oland-definitely a Stetson precursor, as already noted in some reviews. I loved Stetson and love this too, even more so. It is also very obviously an older brother of Avon's own feminine, Timeless (my all-time favorite femme Avon), which came just a few years later. The heart of Timeless is somewhere between the floral aldehydics like No. 5 and the warm, soft leathery vibe of vintage Shalimar and its imitators. It's as if that idea was laid right on top of Oland, using the masculine as a base accord. If I have my choice between a riot of synthy florals (as in Stetson) or some good, clean orris, I'll take the orris every time. And Oland has a load of it, good quality at that. It manages to be both fresh-scrubbed soapiness and plush powderiness at once. Clearly, Oland and I were destined to be friends. The leathery, ambery tobacco drydown may not have been earth shattering even in 1970 but it's something I always find satisfying when done well, as it is here. A handsome gem and I'm just so impressed by this iris. No pretentions whatsoever, just a very good smell; nice to be around.

Tai Winds-just two years after Oland, and a far cry from it. Now this was a fairly new idea at the time and nice to see Avon not repeating themselves much at that point. Avon is now quite repetitive in their releases, due to modern tastes and the fact that they've caught the flanker virus, just like the major designer houses. I know they need to produce what will sell in its time, but Tai Winds is a sad reminder of what "modern" and "fresh" used to mean. It's a lavender citrus musky thing in the vein of Brut (which my dad wore occasionally), which was only a few years old at the time of Tai Winds. It wears more refined than Brut though, not so loud and shouty. The musks feel smoother, less prickly than Brut. This was a very new idea and surely would have pleased Avon's customer base at the time; I'm guessing this did well for them. Compared to the ugly, room-filling woody ambers of masculines of today, this smells new and fresh all over again. I would find a gent wearing this today to be a breath of fresh air. Just lovely.

I'm finding a lot of lavender notes in these Avons so far, ZC-is this a favorite note of yours? It's certainly one of mine!

Still to go today: Blend 7 and Everest!
    Yeah, Oland is definitely a winner in the overal quality department, not a summer scent to be sure, but my jam for fall and winter. Tai Winds is an utter fave of mine, and if I told you how many ml's I have of it in backup, you'd laugh. Also, there's so MUCH old Avon around, nobody here has to worry about me gobbling it all up.

Blend 7- not sure what to make of this one. I will say it is neither love nor hate for me. It's pleasant to smell, if a bit directionless. And pretty dang sweet. Fragrantica labels this an aromatic fougere. I can agree with aromatic; not so sure about fougere. It does share some notes with a standard fougere but it lacks any green, ferny oomph to my nose. There's a bit of galbanum, which certainly lends a green vibe but the scent is all about sugared anise and tonka hay for me. Very sweet anise, as close to Lolita Lempicka as it is any masculine fougere I can think of. I have no idea how to categorize this and suspect Avon didn't really, either. Maybe they were being artsy, which IMO is not what Avon does best. It smells good, yes, but not a favorite for me. Boo, 1973, I wanted better from you! But points for the oakmossy base, always a pleasure to run into oakmoss. And again, totally different from any of their previous masculines; seems they were striving for a diverse catalog of men's fragrances, which I can appreciate. Also, I love anise but not when sweetened into licorice territory. And did I say sweet? Yes, just too sweet.
    And lastly for today, Everest-maybe not mountain fresh but very, very fresh indeed. I loved everything about the opening of this-minty lavender evergreen awesomeness. Love the bergamot, gentle and tea-like. Again, nothing new in these times but this must have been quite the weird little freshie back in its day. I can't really think of anything like it from the 70s. If any complaint, it would be simply that I love the gleaming topnotes so much that I long for a more angular counterpoint to continue into the sweet, vanillic tobacco base. No matter though, the drydown is good as is.

Today has been a great sampling day; 3 likes and 1 . No out and out dislikes so far!

I should probably mention, I'm on track to mail these along probably by Thursday. Who's next?
    Yeah, Blend 7 looks like ABC Channel 7 News The Fragrance, but smells like Sambuca or Jaegermeister with lots of prickly fir and moss in the base. Everest is like somebody trying to make a freshie in the 70's based on the impressions they found in a time machine visit to the 2000's, or maybe just a happy accident? Hard to say. Yes, I love lavender!

This was my first vintage Avon (I picked it up for the Ship-in-a-Bottle design, I thought it might have been Old Spice related until I saw the "Avon" on the paper label on the neck of the bottle) and I didn't know what to think of it. Reminded me of English Leather, but sweeter. I'm sure many have dismissed this upon sniffing it directly from the bottle (especially if they picked it up FOR the decanter design and not the juice) and that's a shame because the joy of this fragrance really appears after application. And to think I was actually nervous to use this aftersahve because it was so old. Now I slap on vintage Avons with reckless abandon. I now have 11 of the vintage scents in my collection and Oland remains the most impressive of the bunch (the Bay Rum is lovely, but it's a near perfect take on a classic DNA, not so much an "Avon" invention as the others are)

Along with Deep Woods and Windjammer, these are the Avons that feel most "of their time" - you'd probably never get anyone releasing a "new" fragrance like these in 2018.
    If you want to wear something that will totally NOT smell like you just came from Macy's or Dillard's, Tai Winds is certainly one to reach for. You'll feel like you stepped right out of an episode of Starsky and Hutch or Shaft. (and I agree, it's deeper and generally more interesting than Brut)
    *Cues "The Streets of San Francisco" theme*

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Wow, thanks for these details impressions, PerfumedLady! I'm getting really excited here. It's amazing how high the average quality (apparently) is, given that these were specifically intended to be "everyday Joe" cheap scents of the time. Really shows the evolution in materials usage at the low end of the price bracket.
    This is why I wave the banner of vintage drugstore so hard! Good drugstore scents are all but extinct thanks to the Axe, Bod, and Old Spice empires reducing what used to be affordable fragrance to deodorant in an aerosol can or windex spray. It's no wonder designers have spread out to cover lower, middle, and mid-high tiers, with niche being the "new designer" for all intents. Glad everyone is enjoying this so far!

Default Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    *Cues "The Streets of San Francisco" theme*
    Favourite show. LOVE that theme! Especially from the early seasons. Outstanding musicians. The drums remind me of Lalo Schifrin's score from the first Dirty Harry-movie *drooling*
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Favourite show. LOVE that theme! Especially from the early seasons. Outstanding musicians. The drums remind me of Lalo Schifrin's score from the first Dirty Harry-movie *drooling*
    I loved when he stepped out of his comfort zone to score stuff like THX 1130 and The Amityville Horror.

masonjarjar, those ship-in-a-bottle bottles are so cool! I loved all the cute Avon bottles. My mom had a bunch of Christmas ones; a Santa boot and candlesticks are two I can recall clearly. The candlesticks were my favorite, very pretty when mom would scatter them around the house, catching bits of light from the holiday decorations. And no one should ever fear wearing Oland (as you figured out!). It is the most impressive quality wise (so far) due to that hefty dose of orris. These days, orris is an "expensive" smell. I'm about halfway through these and feel confident that Oland is still going to be one of my top favorites by the time I'm done. Tai Winds, too. You're a fine-smellin' man! All of you guys who've bought Oland made a beautiful buy, IMO. Just a wonderful classic type.

I had a peek at your age, LiveJazz, and I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the materials used in these. Yes, lots of things here you'd have to pay big money to wear now, or go bespoke. Back when things like oakmoss, sandalwood, nitromusks, whathaveyou were restriction-free, all the houses used them. I'm guessing orris butter wasn't the prized ingredient it is now either, due to the whopping iris note in Oland. One did not have to give an arm and a leg to wear, say, Mysore sandalwood. And a lot of the less expensive/more accessible scents stayed pretty nice into the 80s. No doubt you'd have been around some of them at times but you'd have been just a little guy and probably a bit too young to recall. These will be an excellent experience for you!

Jaegermeister, yes! That's it, Zealot Crusader, that's what the anise note in Blend 7 smells like! Perfect, thank you for that. In that context, Blend 7 actually earns a few more points from me.

More sampling and more write-ups coming later today; just about to start a-spritzing. ZC, I'm halfway through these and will probably finish up today; tomorrow morning at the latest. I need to know who to mail to and request their addy if needed! Do we know who the next "victim" is?

Back later, gang!

Have a few more notes ready:

Clint-nice citrusy leather but my least favorite so far. Only due to personal tastes; none of these so far are poor scents, all are worthy. This one tricks my nose; I'll sniff it and pick up the citrus and florals with the leather and like that very much. Sniff again, and it's barnyard burly leather, which I admit I find hard to wear. Even so, I have this pegged as one that'll please many in the sampling group.

Deep Woods-loved this! Love, love, love. More lavender! And I've decided that Avon had an especially good lavender for my nose. Reminds me of the way Jacques Polge cleaned up the less wearable aspects of lavender and amplified the best bits for Chanel's Jersey. Not that any of these smell like Jersey, mind you. Just that this prettified Avon lavender makes me think of it. Deep woods is woody obviously, with a green, pine-y patchouli making it even more so. Both warm and cool spices, though the scent leans cool overall. Just a nice clean manly smell that again, I prefer to so many current masculines. This one reminds me that I also wanted to say that these all have had plenty of presence and projection, without being obnoxious, unlike more recent scents I could name.

Also, I'm loving the EdC concentration for a sample pass. After some gardening yesterday I had burned everything off enough that with a good scrub, I could start fresh. So I did Deep Woods and Clint last night, for a total of 6 scents tried for the day! Very likely a sample pass first for me. Won't do so many today though-my nose is fine but don't want my brain to get tired.

Anyway, moving on to today, right now I'm wearing plain ol' Avon Leather and this is my kind of leather. Love the adorable boot bottle! These boots are made from some fairly expensive leather; this one is going to surprise some people, I think. Leather done right. This one is more filled out, less angular than Clint. Leather wears on the sweet side due to tobacco, and NO barnyard. These are brand new boots and I bet they aren't going anywhere near the barn. It's closest more recent relative would be the slightly more feminine leaning Cuir de Lancome, which I own and love. This one is so up my alley that it's hard to say much other than I'm really enjoying this!

Anyway, moving on to today, right now I'm wearing plain ol' Avon Leather and this is my kind of leather. Love the adorable boot bottle! These boots are made from some fairly expensive leather; this one is going to surprise some people, I think. Leather done right. This one is more filled out, less angular than Clint. Leather wears on the sweet side due to tobacco, and NO barnyard. These are brand new boots and I bet they aren't going anywhere near the barn. It's closest more recent relative would be the slightly more feminine leaning Cuir de Lancome, which I own and love. This one is so up my alley that it's hard to say much other than I'm really enjoying this!
    When I'm wearing the Leather, I think.. no.. THIS is my favorite Avon! (until I wear Oland or Spicy or....)

When I'm wearing the Leather, I think.. no.. THIS is my favorite Avon! (until I wear Oland or Spicy or....)
    It's just fantastic! I admit, it does give Oland a run for its money!

Freed from BN Institution

PL, knowing my personal tastes could you predict if any of these would hit the spot for me? Of course though my nose will have the final say.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    PL, knowing my personal tastes could you predict if any of these would hit the spot for me? Of course though my nose will have the final say.
    What? You mean I can't choose your whole wardrobe for you? Thought that was my job. Lol, just kidding!

I did think of you while sampling, N.Cal-specifically because ALL THE LAVENDER. I know this isn't your favorite note. But, fear not, I don't think you'll be put off by it in most of these. As I said, it's a cleaned up lavender and most of these are so complex, it will be easy to distract your nose with other notes. And it's not necessarily a main player in some of these.

Yes I have my hunches, but in spite of my teasing, do not mind being proven wrong in the least! I think Oland will impress you with its iris, plus it's grand, plush and classical, all things I know you can do. And Leather has enough sweetness for you I believe, and is so smooth and buttery. I do think you'll like. I can also see you liking some of the fresher, brisker things like Tai Winds and Deep Woods, assuming the lavender behaves for you.

And this one too, N.Cal! I'm now wearing Windjammer and WTH? How did Avon do an aquatic in the 60s, before the invention of aquatics and their aromachemicals?! Seriously, I take back what I said about creativity not being Avon's strong suit. Their feminines always were nice, affordable, easy to source derivatives of popular styles. They smelled good and did their job. But clearly they were taking more risks with their men's line. This is so interesting. I have no idea how they accomplished something that so clearly evokes sunny skies and perfect, clear blue water, with mainly herbs. I'm speechless!

Freed from BN Institution

What? You mean I can't choose your whole wardrobe for you? Thought that was my job. Lol, just kidding!

I did think of you while sampling, N.Cal-specifically because ALL THE LAVENDER. I know this isn't your favorite note. But, fear not, I don't think you'll be put off by it in most of these. As I said, it's a cleaned up lavender and most of these are so complex, it will be easy to distract your nose with other notes. And it's not necessarily a main player in some of these.

Yes I have my hunches, but in spite of my teasing, do not mind being proven wrong in the least! I think Oland will impress you with its iris, plus it's grand, plush and classical, all things I know you can do. And Leather has enough sweetness for you I believe, and is so smooth and buttery. I do think you'll like. I can also see you liking some of the fresher, brisker things like Tai Winds and Deep Woods, assuming the lavender behaves for you.

And this one too, N.Cal! I'm now wearing Windjammer and WTH? How did Avon do an aquatic in the 60s, before the invention of aquatics and their aromachemicals?! Seriously, I take back what I said about creativity not being Avon's strong suit. Their feminines always were nice, affordable, easy to source derivatives of popular styles. They smelled good and did their job. But clearly they were taking more risks with their men's line. This is so interesting. I have no idea how they accomplished something that so clearly evokes sunny skies and perfect, clear blue water, with mainly herbs. I'm speechless!
    Enablement was your specialty anyways

A nice mossy chypre would do me well, I do enjoy oakmoss.

The aquatic got my attention. If its an airy aromatic that would get a few bonus points.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

masonjarjar, those ship-in-a-bottle bottles are so cool! I loved all the cute Avon bottles. My mom had a bunch of Christmas ones; a Santa boot and candlesticks are two I can recall clearly. The candlesticks were my favorite, very pretty when mom would scatter them around the house, catching bits of light from the holiday decorations. And no one should ever fear wearing Oland (as you figured out!). It is the most impressive quality wise (so far) due to that hefty dose of orris. These days, orris is an "expensive" smell. I'm about halfway through these and feel confident that Oland is still going to be one of my top favorites by the time I'm done. Tai Winds, too. You're a fine-smellin' man! All of you guys who've bought Oland made a beautiful buy, IMO. Just a wonderful classic type.

I had a peek at your age, LiveJazz, and I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the materials used in these. Yes, lots of things here you'd have to pay big money to wear now, or go bespoke. Back when things like oakmoss, sandalwood, nitromusks, whathaveyou were restriction-free, all the houses used them. I'm guessing orris butter wasn't the prized ingredient it is now either, due to the whopping iris note in Oland. One did not have to give an arm and a leg to wear, say, Mysore sandalwood. And a lot of the less expensive/more accessible scents stayed pretty nice into the 80s. No doubt you'd have been around some of them at times but you'd have been just a little guy and probably a bit too young to recall. These will be an excellent experience for you!

Jaegermeister, yes! That's it, Zealot Crusader, that's what the anise note in Blend 7 smells like! Perfect, thank you for that. In that context, Blend 7 actually earns a few more points from me.

More sampling and more write-ups coming later today; just about to start a-spritzing. ZC, I'm halfway through these and will probably finish up today; tomorrow morning at the latest. I need to know who to mail to and request their addy if needed! Do we know who the next "victim" is?

Back later, gang!
    Have a few more notes ready:

Clint-nice citrusy leather but my least favorite so far. Only due to personal tastes; none of these so far are poor scents, all are worthy. This one tricks my nose; I'll sniff it and pick up the citrus and florals with the leather and like that very much. Sniff again, and it's barnyard burly leather, which I admit I find hard to wear. Even so, I have this pegged as one that'll please many in the sampling group.

Deep Woods-loved this! Love, love, love. More lavender! And I've decided that Avon had an especially good lavender for my nose. Reminds me of the way Jacques Polge cleaned up the less wearable aspects of lavender and amplified the best bits for Chanel's Jersey. Not that any of these smell like Jersey, mind you. Just that this prettified Avon lavender makes me think of it. Deep woods is woody obviously, with a green, pine-y patchouli making it even more so. Both warm and cool spices, though the scent leans cool overall. Just a nice clean manly smell that again, I prefer to so many current masculines. This one reminds me that I also wanted to say that these all have had plenty of presence and projection, without being obnoxious, unlike more recent scents I could name.

Also, I'm loving the EdC concentration for a sample pass. After some gardening yesterday I had burned everything off enough that with a good scrub, I could start fresh. So I did Deep Woods and Clint last night, for a total of 6 scents tried for the day! Very likely a sample pass first for me. Won't do so many today though-my nose is fine but don't want my brain to get tired.

I think N.CAL is the only west coaster in the pass so he should probably be next. He doesn't venture below niche usually either, so dragging him all the way down to vintage drugstore Hell will be fun! After that, he sends the package to the first east-coaster and we go from there!.

Also Windjammer reminds me most of Pino Silvestre without the pine so much!
    I'm glad you are liking these so much PefumedLady! No doubt you don't have the reservations of a lot of male BNers that only wear masculines, plus you already enjoy some feminine Avons anyway. The real challenge will be for the folks who've smelled (and disliked) newer Avon already to try going back and sampling these. I'll admit they're certainly no vintage Chanel or Guerlain, but at least on par quality-wise with current designer, just short on lifespan a bit due to EdC concentration.

N.Cal it is then! And I have his addy; we're all ready to go as soon as I finish the last few samples. N.Cal, you'll be spoiled for choice where oakmoss is concerned. Even if you find you don't need to own any of these, I feel certain you'll find these worthy of your sniffing time.

I agree with ZC, these are more like current designer than current Avon. I have smelled many of their currents. Sharp, synthetic woodies and aquatics for the gents and shrieking fruity florals for the ladies, mostly. Dire. This pass is definitely going to shake up some preconceptions.

Yes, I'll sample anything; masculines don't put me off. Anything except Secretions Magnifique. Bought a sample, dabbed on paper, decided no way in hell is that going on my skin. Took the paper strip outdoors and burned it with fire; truly gag-worthy. But that's the only one so far, lol. While I'm not about to tell anyone how to enjoy their perfume hobby, I feel that real knowledge comes from educating ourselves outside of our bubbles of personal preferences. This approach is simply what's kept me interested and engaged for years on end. Others of course may just want to build their wardrobe and be done with it; also a valid approach, but not really a hobby. If I have a question or curiosity about a particular scent, I am seeking out the educated BNer, not the guys looking for a ladykiller to wear to the clubs and nothing else. Smelling nice to others is great but there's so much more than that to enjoy with fragrance. I'm too afraid that if I stop exploring I'll miss something interesting, or that surprises me, or even makes me laugh!

And yes, I'm having such a good time with these! This pass is tons of fun!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

For me it's a toss between original Black Suede (pre-IFRA 1980-1999), then Avon Paradigm (2002), which is like Boucheron Pour Homme minus the rose and add in some Aramis (original) and Tuscany Per Uomo. A leathery, herbal, aldehydic wham-bam that was really not in vogue around it's Y2K release, which is why I love it.

Last three! Everything is all boxed up and ready to go as soon as the P.O. opens!

Vigorate-reminds me of one of the powders that I used to use to clean up men's necks after a haircut. And I should note, I loved my powders; was always happy when gents would let me freshen them up this way. Not any of the Clubmans but can't think which one it was. Not a barbershop scent though, just a clean smell. As such, this didn't excite me much except for the fact that again, Avon came so close to what we recognize as the aquatic category, this time in 1957! Creative indeed. Very pleasant, if a bit too reminiscent of work for me to want to wear regularly.

Tribute-yay for sandalwood! I hoped there'd be a sandalwood lovely here and I found one. If one is not sure what the real stuff smells like, the far drydown of Tribute will make it clear. I also really loved the citron (another favorite note of mine) and lavender topnotes and the citrus is just in excellent shape. Citron is something like lemon in smell, but not quite and I was able to pick it out right away. And overall, I've enjoyed the use of herbs in these tremendously; nicely done. Tribute's heart is a bit too hairy-chested for a girly-girl like me with its civet and manly leather but no matter. It's all about the sandalwood for me. Was sorry when it was time to shower it off!

And lastly, Wild Country-this is the lone scent in the pass I knew already. Always loved this powdery cowboy floral. I smelled it fairly recently and thought it was hanging in there pretty well but why settle for that when vintage apparently holds up so beautifully. Oh my, oh my, is this good! Always did love the benzoin/amber accord here and in vintage is even better, soft and pillow-y. The much-missed heliotrope makes another appearance here, along with a not-too-peppery carnation. This reminded me that current carnation notes really kind of suck in comparison to vintage carnations. I've definitely rethought my take on current WC and at this point, would only recommend vintage. My very top favorite of the pass, against some very solid competition. Delighted to have spent a day in this and it even got topped up in the afternoon. Love!

My favorites after Wild Country, in no particular order were Oland, Leather, Avon for Men and Tai Winds. Oland for that fab iris, for Men for the amazingly delicate heliotrope (and because Jimmy), Leather for its rounded, smooth richness and Tai Winds for being a more refined take on a common idea. I found nothing to be poorly made; the materials may not have been super expensive but the compositions are interesting and the final results well-executed. Nothing smells "cheap" here, just unpretentious. And I like that. Save the pretentions for someone who will be fooled by them. I'll take some Wild Country to snuggle up to instead.

I had a great time and appreciate this opportunity very, very much, Zealot Crusader! You smell GREAT!! Thank you! I hope the others are as pleasantly surprised as I was!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast