Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Hi All,

First, what a joy to follow this thread!

Due to ZC's Avon-posts in the vtg SOTD-thread, my interrest for Avon masculines grew bigger and bigger. I asked ZC for assistance and advice and sure got it ten-fold. You, Sir, are a gentleman!! Then I decided to read pretty much all of his magnificent, detailed, educative (is that a word?)/informative, eloquent and humourous Avon-reviews (and that's a LOT of reading, lol) to kinda narrow it down. Alas, I sort of stalled, but remaining even more intrigued and excited.
    And now, following this post and reading exceptional reviews and thoughts with even more to come, the spark has re-ignited and will help and guide me toward my final choices of which fragrances to go for. I allready had a few favourites and seeing them here also, is very exciting.

I'm learning a lot!

So thanks, ZC, you are a prince among squires - And to the rest of you for your great efforts.

/martin
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Default Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Last three! Everything is all boxed up and ready to go as soon as the P.O. opens!

Vigorate-reminds me of one of the powders that I used to use to clean up men's necks after a haircut. And I should note, I loved my powders; was always happy when gents would let me freshen them up this way. Not any of the Clubmans but can't think which one it was. Not a barbershop scent though, just a clean smell. As such, this didn't excite me much except for the fact that again, Avon came so close to what we recognize as the aquatic category, this time in 1957! Creative indeed. Very pleasant, if a bit too reminiscent of work for me to want to wear regularly.

Tribute-yay for sandalwood! I hoped there'd be a sandalwood lovely here and I found one. If one is not sure what the real stuff smells like, the far drydown of Tribute will make it clear. I also really loved the citron (another favorite note of mine) and lavender topnotes and the citrus is just in excellent shape. Citron is something like lemon in smell, but not quite and I was able to pick it out right away. And overall, I've enjoyed the use of herbs in these tremendously; nicely done. Tribute's heart is a bit too hairy-chested for a girly-girl like me with its civet and manly leather but no matter. It's all about the sandalwood for me. Was sorry when it was time to shower it off!

And lastly, Wild Country-this is the lone scent in the pass I knew already. Always loved this powdery cowboy floral. I smelled it fairly recently and thought it was hanging in there pretty well but why settle for that when vintage apparently holds up so beautifully. Oh my, oh my, is this good! Always did love the benzoin/amber accord here and in vintage is even better, soft and pillow-y. The much-missed heliotrope makes another appearance here, along with a not-too-peppery carnation. This reminded me that current carnation notes really kind of suck in comparison to vintage carnations. I've definitely rethought my take on current WC and at this point, would only recommend vintage. My very top favorite of the pass, against some very solid competition. Delighted to have spent a day in this and it even got topped up in the afternoon. Love!
    Tribute is one that I plan on seeking out the Cologne version (I have the aftershave in clear glass US Capitol building) as to me this is the most fleeting of my Avon collection.
    I do love the scent, hopefully the cologne will have some extra punch.

Wild Country, all us Avon freaks have the aftershave by the gallon, and I'm not sure what combination of ingredients to thank, but WC is the strongest of my vintage Avon aftershaves. I received the 50th anniversary cologne splash "Cowboy Boot" for Christmas and I agree the modern is somewhat different, but not so different that it doesn't pair well with the vintage aftershave.

I'm curious about Vigorate, as there there was a scent that I've been looking for that I remember from my barber, but Clubman doesn't quite fit my memory of what it was. Maybe this is it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Hi All,

First, what a joy to follow this thread!

Due to ZC's Avon-posts in the vtg SOTD-thread, my interrest for Avon masculines grew bigger and bigger. I asked ZC for assistance and advice and sure got it ten-fold. You, Sir, are a gentleman!! Then I decided to read pretty much all of his magnificent, detailed, educative (is that a word?)/informative, eloquent and humourous Avon-reviews (and that's a LOT of reading, lol) to kinda narrow it down. Alas, I sort of stalled, but remaining even more intrigued and excited.
    And now, following this post and reading exceptional reviews and thoughts with even more to come, the spark has re-ignited and will help and guide me toward my final choices of which fragrances to go for. I allready had a few favourites and seeing them here also, is very exciting.

I'm learning a lot!

So thanks, ZC, you are a prince among squires - And to the rest of you for your great efforts.

/martin
    You're welcome! I've gone back and forth between Avon and higher-end stuff as of late, and even some niche where samples permit. I'm close to finishing my 80's Avon and will go atter 90's next. Glad you found my madness useful. What I do literally spits in the face of some BN'ers who basically say "if it ain't 'spensive, then it ain't proper fragrance y'all", so I've made some enemies here and there (gives my block list a purpose haha), but mostly my efforts have been welcomed, which is why I keep going!!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You're welcome! I've gone back and forth between Avon and higher-end stuff as of late, and even some niche where samples permit. I'm close to finishing my 80's Avon and will go atter 90's next. Glad you found my madness useful. What I do literally spits in the face of some BN'ers who basically say "if it ain't 'spensive, then it ain't proper fragrance y'all", so I've made some enemies here and there (gives my block list a purpose haha), but mostly my efforts have been welcomed, which is why I keep going!!
    Ha! 'spensive-'schmensive.. Those people take themselves way to seriously anyway.
    Keep doing what you do. Your posts and reviews are detailed, thorough and great fun to read! Thank you, Sir.

/martin

I do wonder if we're thinking of the exact same powder, masonjarjar! And how I wish I could remember its name. What I can do though is have a look at the beauty supply's shelves next time I go (which is too often) and see if anything jogs my memory. Will check their website too. I'll be sure to get in touch if I figure it out!

And I totally recommend Tribute in cologne form! I got a good 5-6 hours from it and while the last few were mainly the musky sandalwood drydown, it was pronounced enough to still be smellable. And that sandalwood is divine!

Gallons of Wild Country sounds wonderful to me! And your layering trick works! I do the same with some of my older scents; I'll use ancillaries and perfumes of various ages together, which often does create more vintage vibe. Definitely agree that WC in current form is still close enough for this idea to work. I miss the heliotrope and the carnation accord of old but the current is still a great smelling scent.

Marand75-it was so lovely to read your post! Thank you for that, it means a lot to me! And I am about to begin a ZC review reading spree myself. Now that I am finished, I have to know what the Passmaster had to say. Bet I'm in for a good time!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Default Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

You're welcome, PL!
    Yup, a great time indeed. It's great reading and I enjoyed it immensely.

And good work to you!

/martin

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I do wonder if we're thinking of the exact same powder, masonjarjar! And how I wish I could remember its name. What I can do though is have a look at the beauty supply's shelves next time I go (which is too often) and see if anything jogs my memory. Will check their website too. I'll be sure to get in touch if I figure it out!

And I totally recommend Tribute in cologne form! I got a good 5-6 hours from it and while the last few were mainly the musky sandalwood drydown, it was pronounced enough to still be smellable. And that sandalwood is divine!

Gallons of Wild Country sounds wonderful to me! And your layering trick works! I do the same with some of my older scents; I'll use ancillaries and perfumes of various ages together, which often does create more vintage vibe. Definitely agree that WC in current form is still close enough for this idea to work. I miss the heliotrope and the carnation accord of old but the current is still a great smelling scent.

Marand75-it was so lovely to read your post! Thank you for that, it means a lot to me! And I am about to begin a ZC review reading spree myself. Now that I am finished, I have to know what the Passmaster had to say. Bet I'm in for a good time!
    Some of my old Avon reviews are rough work compared to newer stuff. Fair warning XD
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

Freed from BN Institution

The package has finally arrived so I can get started. I don't expect to finish in the same speed as PL.

01/12

Avon For Men (1949)

My impression of it will differ with PL some but not too much. The opening had both a sour bergamot and and a lavender note that gave a comparable opening that of both Guerlain Jicky and even Shalimar. The bergamot was subtle and short lived lasting for only a minute. The lavender held on a little bit longer but that too eventually disappeared. About 5-10 minutes in the scent starts becoming something comparable to Creed Cypres Musc which ironically was made about the same time (1948). It has what I believe a cypress note, I think that's where PL gets the Menthol accord from. It's clean, soapy, but also subdued. Musk, amber, and oakmoss are met at the base. It stays very close to the skin almost the entire time. It's also quite linear, there's not much complexity at all. It smells nice overall but I prefer Cypres Musc over Avon For Men as both are quite similar but the former is much more full bodied with better silage.

If any of you like this Avon for Men then I would recommend trying Cypres Musc.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35