Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Arrow Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

Welcome
    To the
    Vintage Avon Masculine 1949-1976
    Sample Pass

Most Basenoters have a basic understanding of Avon as a name associated with cheap perfume peddled door to door in many regions of the globe. Basenoters with a passing knowledge of Avon recognize them as one of the oldest houses to originate from the United States, and onetime rival to other mega cosmetic corporations like Arden, Fabergé, and Revlon. The house is over 130 years old, and although not a US-based company anymore (moved to UK since 2014), the house was a proponent of giving women some economic independence both by employing mostly women as freelance sales associates, and catering 90% of it's business to women. Avon gave women both opportunities to earn extra cash and develop some business acumen during times when the establishment wasn't keen on doing so, but also brought what were traditionally luxury items out of reach to much of the working class in the US into more homes than any other brand. However, with a dizzying 600+ entry back-catalog of perfumes dating back to the late 19th century, coupled with only a fraction of it being for men, and compounded by their bad reputation for products perceived as low-quality, their more historic masculines get lost in the mix by hobbyists, and aren't even properly cataloged on most perfume database sites. This sample-pass will hopefully shed a little light on this dusty corner of perfume history.

The purpose of this pass is to have a little guilt-free fun exploring the little spoken-of history of Avon male fragrance, starting with the very first Avon-labelled signature masculine scent, then working up through 1976. California Perfume Company bay rum and lilac vegetal were Pinaud clones and are left out. There are 12 samples of the major releases within the time frame and all provided by me. All scents are deep vintage as Avon didn't keep anything around more than a few years with the exception of Wild Country (which is still made) and the first Avon masculine which had a 20 year run.

The Selections:

AVON FOR MEN/AVON ORIGINAL (1949): Avon didn't market to men in earnest until after World War II, and this eponymous debut was a very dialed-in lavender and geranium barbershop scent lightly mentholated but quickly drying down to something that could be a grandfather to YSL Jazz, CK Eternity for Men, and the like. James Stewart and Joe DiMaggio stood behind this one!
    AVON 'VIGORATE (1957): A very early ocean-themed scent that is miles away from modern aquatics. It's salty, powdery, almost like the smell people are more accustomed to find in modern bath salts or shower talc than in a fragrance by itself. It's going to be a challenge, and likely divisive. Can't wait to read your reactions.
    AVON TRIBUTE FOR MEN (1963): The first "fine fragrance" for men from a newly re-launched Avon for Men sub-label (with the original Avon for Men scent being redubbed Avon Original). Tribute for Men is a classic dry citrus chypre that recalls Monsieur de Givenchy and Moustache by Rochas. Originally released in a bottle shaped like a Spartan warrior head!
    AVON LEATHER (1966): Avon's take on the leather scent is darker and softer than many of it's ilk, with an anise top and amber-infused bottom. The scent comes across more like a soft uncured leather, a la a pair of Timberland boots, rather than stiff aldehydes and petrol cured-leather like a lot of contemporaries. The original bottle was shaped like a beer boot.
    AVON WILD COUNTRY (1967 Deep Vintage): This is the debut production of Wild Country, the oldest continually-produced masculine from the house, that has remained in circulation for 51 years. This version is not as sweet as modern, and is almost leathery in it's finish. A warm carnation-fueled barbershop of the ol' west that kicked off a cowboy cologne craze.
    AVON WINDJAMMER (1968): Windjammer was an attempt at something aquatic in tone, but comes across more like Blenheim Bouquet or Pino Silvestre with florals added and the pepper/pine turned way down. Does it recall the feeling of sailing? Well I'll leave that up to you. Neat brass ring on cap and sailboat motif.
    AVON ÖLAND (1970): I'm guessing this pseudo-Scandinavian scent was meant to compete with Kanøn but comes across more like a precursor to Etienne Aigner No. 1, Jacomo Eau Cendrée, or even Coty Stetson than anything else. It's leathery, soapy, and full of barbershop spice and bay rum aesthetics so it's really not Scandinavian at all.
    AVON TAI WINDS (1972): A very late entry into the infamous Asian/Kung-Fu themed colognes of the 1960's, this early 70's fougère arguably out-does them all by being the equivalent of Clubman Pinaud with the musky green tone of Jade East but enough oakmoss to challenge even the most obsessive moss fan. I hope you like a little bread with your butter.
    AVON BLEND 7 (1973): A totally forgotten oddity that has the stiff undertones of later powerhouses like Kouros, One Man Show, and Globe, but doesn't rely on animalics quite so much, building up with fir, cedar, and anise instead. It's a very odd brisk, dry woodsy scent that's love or hate for the person sniffing that came in a "Channel 7 News"-style bottle.
    AVON DEEP WOODS (1974): The bottle looked like a log, but the scent itself was a lemony and sweet woodsy aromatic fougère that sits between the Halston twins but presages them both by 2 years. I wonder if this bore any influence on Halston's perfumers at all? In any case, it's quite pleasant if a bit mild when compared to some of the others.
    AVON EVEREST (1975): Another total oddball arguably very ahead of it's time. It is a blue juice that uses iris and muguet among other florals to make a sweet and fresh musk-based scent. It was made to emulate mountain air, coming across like a proto-aquatic but obviously missing all the aromachemical magic which those scents use to smell "fresh". It's no wonder this didn't sell in the 70's, it was way too soon.
    AVON CLINT (1976): Pretty much a dead-ringer for Aramis but with a focus shift from aldehydes and florals to woods and citrus. It was probably worn by more American guys initially than Aramis due to it being cheaper and given as gifts, plus is erroneously attributed to Clint Eastwood as his signature celebrity scent. He was not involved. It's Aramis in flannel and blue jeans!

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT AVON MASCULINES PRIOR TO THE MID 2000'S WERE OF EAU DE COLOGNE STRENGTH WITH FEW EXCEPTIONS. YOU MAY NEED TO SPRAY ON SHIRT AND PLEASE NOTE THE YELLOW COLORANT THEY USED CAN STAIN WHITE FABRIC.

Requirements:

1 year of Basenotes membership
    Minimum 30 posts in forums
    Of US or Canadian residence.

Preferred:

Active interest in vintage
    Some curiosity about drugstore-level scents
    Some curiousity about masculine scents.

10 slots max. Current participants in no order (full)

-Perfumed Lady (finished)

-N.Cal -- hold the pass til next Wednesday 8/8, then shp to LiveJazz

-LiveJazz

-Cook.bot

-IsoESuperman

-Grayspoole

-Epapsiou

-Bavard

-Ebenas (tentative on location/time of pass)

-Diddy (tentative on remaining supply of sample pass)

-PureCaramel
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 21st September 2018 at 07:33 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Default Re: Sample Pass: Vintage Avon Masculines 1949-1976 (CONUS)

I'm in if you'll take me (Garth), preferably somewhere towards the end but not hugely important.

I've only tried Oland (thanks PC!), which is quite good. I've been interested in Wild Country for a while, I love the bottle logo. And of course, following the vintage SOTD I'm now interested in a whole bunch of these and you're to blame

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I'm in if you'll take me (Garth), preferably somewhere towards the end but not hugely important.

I've only tried Oland (thanks PC!), which is quite good. I've been interested in Wild Country for a while, I love the bottle logo. And of course, following the vintage SOTD I'm now interested in a whole bunch of these and you're to blame

Sure! If this goes well, I'll do a 1978-2005 pass as well, because there was some WEIRD S**T coming out of Avon for guys in the 90's that you guys need to smell too.

Basenotes Plus

Get in here, Diddy! You too, Bigsly!

Always be smelling

I thought I was the patron saint of Oland before ZC
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I thought I was the patron saint of Oland before ZC
    You gave it a neutral rating so they rescinded your wings.

Freed from BN Institution

I look forward to reading everyones impressions! Personally, I don't think I've sampled anything form Avon.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Ambre Canelle by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I look forward to reading everyones impressions! Personally, I don't think I've sampled anything form Avon.
    I won't try and make them out to be something more than they are: cheap perfume for America's working class sold door-to-door. Sometimes quirky, sometimes crude, but a lot of fun. They peaked in late 70's/early 80's then got ahead of themselves before becoming downright strange with their artistic direction until the 21st century. All the damage done to their reputation among perfumistas was done in the mid 80's to late 90's,. If you wanna join, I'm game.

Grab a spot, N.Cal!! We're going to have fun!

What an interesting group of scents, ZC! I know/remember Wild Country and Deep Woods from the list and looking forward to a revisit as I liked both. The rest will be all new to me, I believe. Especially excited to sniff Avon for Men-Jimmy Stewart, really?! I'm down if he was! Just re-watched him in Vertigo last night for about seventy-five gazillionth time. Thanks so much for doing this for us!

Cook.bot-doo wop!

Always be smelling

The only Avon I know from the list is Oland.
    This is going to be fun.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Bump. Three slots for the pass are still open.

Nobody on this site seems afraid to drop $500 on a blind buy of Creed (except me), so for the price of shipping, why not try some half-century old Avon that your grand dad probably wore? Can't hurt!

I'm in!

You have been quite the, err, Crusader for Avon, and after reading and enjoying your descriptions of these and other forgotten oddballs, might as well join the party!

I believe you've posted about this before, but how did you become such an avid collector in this remote vintage niche? This seems a good place to re-tell the tale.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm in!

You have been quite the, err, Crusader for Avon, and after reading and enjoying your descriptions of these and other forgotten oddballs, might as well join the party!

I believe you've posted about this before, but how did you become such an avid collector in this remote vintage niche? This seems a good place to re-tell the tale.
    It all started a long time ago, at a full-service gas station far far away. I had received the usual Stetsons and English Leathers from family as gifts when I hit my teens back in the 90's, you know, the safe "old stuff" and not Tommy or Le Mâle or whatever. I liked them but they weren't quite "me" at the time. When I was a single-digit age sprout, I used to sniff my older brother's automotive decanters of Wild Country (he had a Baltimore Bullets decanter too), so when the owner of the full-service gas station where I had my first job told me that his wife sold Avon, I tried everything she had and was bitten by the bug.

A decade later I had "outgrown" Avon, having moved into designer scents and a few entry-level "mall niche" (L'Occitane, Lush, etc.), I had foolishly flushed out all those late 90's and early 2000's Avons. I was like your average Creed Kiddie and felt above it. Now here I am slowly approaching the end of my 30's and finding myself missing them, so last year I hunted down all the ones I had (they were 2 and 3x the price they were when new but still well below most vintages), then I kept... going. Now I have vintage Avon going back to their first masculine (which is in this pass), and even have some of the import-only stuff the UK-based Avon Products Inc. released globally post-exodus (Avon still has a US LLC branch but it only serves legacy scents, their bread and butter cosmetics, and the occasional new release to us already years old elsewhere).

Through my vintage Avon exploration, I've found other vintage drugstore and designer scents, which in turn were much more expensive and nearing niche prices in the aftermarket but sometimes worth it, so without discovering stuff like Avon Tai Winds, I would never have gotten a taste for vintage Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (to the woe of other vintage hounds who probably don't like me encroaching on their potential backups, whoops). But I am not 100% vintage nor 100% Avon (or even male) dedicated, and I love my discovery of femmes like Silences or newer releases like Bleu de Chanel just as much. Avon however, is the gateway to all that. I'm still on the fence about niche brands overall, because what I've sampled just smells like designer with a heftier tag and maybe concentration, but to each their own.

Anyways, WELCOME TO THE PASS!! <3

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Bump. Step right up folks. 3 more spots open. I can start the pass before we fill up and add folks later too.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Last bump. 3 slots open.
    If y'all are that deathly afraid of old Avon us 7 fearless explorers will just have to start the pass without ya.

Basenotes Plus

I PM'd Diddy and Bigsly to try and nudge them in, but haven't heard back from them.

Basenotes Plus

This will be a Doozer of a Pass. ZC is a most excellent host!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This will be a Doozer of a Pass. ZC is a most excellent host!
    I think people are genuinely scared they may actually like some my "cheap s**t" more than their semi-bespoke haute parfumerie, and it's keeping them away. >

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This will be a Doozer of a Pass.
    I'm anticipating periods of horror interspersed with episodes of laughter and amazement.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I'm anticipating periods of horror interspersed with episodes of laughter and amazement.
    Avon 'Vigorate is sheer terror. I don't know WHAT they were smoking back in 1957, and can't wait to see your reactions to it.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I think people are genuinely scared they may actually like some my "cheap s**t" more than their semi-bespoke haute parfumerie, and it's keeping them away. >
    Nah those folks are in MFD.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Nah those folks are in MFD.
    Wow, savage.

This is why we're friends.

Basenotes Junkie

This sounds like a lot of fun! I am kind of drowning in samples currently and waaaaay behind in testing things I wanted to get around to, so I don't want to commit now. *Tentatively* speaking, if there is space at the end and I am up for air by then and not completely "passed out," (as jujy would say!) I would be happy to participate. (I figure it will take a few months for the package to make the rounds?) I promise that I will be following or lurking at the very least.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Wow, savage.

This is why we're friends.
    Hey, don't you mean "Sauvage" LOLOL
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Hey, don't you mean "Sauvage" LOLOL
    "Ambroxanne..
    you don't have to follow IFRA tonight..
    Reformulate for money...
    You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right.."

Hi Zealot Crusader-

This will be a fascinating pass. Please count me in, if you still have open spots. I was hanging back since I don't usually investigate traditional masculine scents but it would be fun to smell these vintage Avons, as curated by an expert.

I remember poring over the 1970's Avon catalogues that my mom brought home from work. We never ordered fragrances, since my parents did not indulge, just the oddly pungent Skin-So-Soft bath oil and other skin lotions. This was well before people discovered that Skin-So-Soft, applied straight to the skin, made a fair mosquito repellent, so its citronella-like scent was inexplicable, and not especially enjoyable in the bath. Ah, the mysteries of Avon...
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

Hi ZC

I love this idea!

I'll be in the US for 14 weeks (end August to early December) so if those times would suit pass, I'd love to join in.
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth

Basenotes Plus

Hooray! Mars needed women!

Freed from BN Institution

Throw my name into this list.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Ambre Canelle by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi Zealot Crusader-

This will be a fascinating pass. Please count me in, if you still have open spots. I was hanging back since I don't usually investigate traditional masculine scents but it would be fun to smell these vintage Avons, as curated by an expert.

I remember poring over the 1970's Avon catalogues that my mom brought home from work. We never ordered fragrances, since my parents did not indulge, just the oddly pungent Skin-So-Soft bath oil and other skin lotions. This was well before people discovered that Skin-So-Soft, applied straight to the skin, made a fair mosquito repellent, so its citronella-like scent was inexplicable, and not especially enjoyable in the bath. Ah, the mysteries of Avon...
    Throw my name into this list.
    Added!