Code of Conduct

Default Eau d'Ikar by Sisley - an underrated gem

Good evening gentlemen,
    just washing some T-Shirts and there was one with a beautiful smell (all did ... but this one was unexpected in a certain way).
    A soft, classic, masculine amber-drydown, soapy clean & peppery nuances, a bit of spice, something reminding me of sandalwood.

I'm one of the few in here who loves Sisley's Eau d'Ikar ... a balmy-fresh scent with citrus, galbanum-like notes, muted white floral tones, a chalky orris-like feel and overall resinous (there's "mastic" in this, but never experienced mastic).

Wearing Eau d'Ikar is very entertaining: One might easily misunderstand it to be nothing special ... just another citrus, not too lively and a bit grey'ish at first, with sort of a mishmash evolution and middle of the road sillage at best.

But the more I'm getting into it, the more time I'm giving it to develop, the more sensationally refined it feels.
    I found out that Eau d'Ikar makes one going noseblind easily. It's best enjoyed with some light sprays to the lower chest, forearms and shirt.
    Then it makes for a truly gorgeous fresh scent changing for hous and hours (whole day) into a very refined, light woody oriental.

It's indeed Eau d'Ikar that made this shirt smell so wonderful ... :-)

Just saying ... any others in here who like this one?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Eau d'Ikar by Sisley - an underrated gem

Own and love this one also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I bought this along with Eau de Campagne, but, for me, Eau de Campagne is much more interesting.

I haven't tried Eau d'Ikar in ages. I'll have to revisit it.

I like it..keep saying I'll buy a bottle but it hasn't happened yet. I thinks it's above average quality ingredient wise .

I have a weird relationship with this one. Kept a sample around for years, tried it every once in a while, and even though I always ended up hating it there was something about the idea of it that enticed me back every time. Ended up throwing it away half full though. Just can't handle the dominance of that mastic note, totally kills the fragrance for me. I really want to love it because in both the surrounding note structure and the thematic design it is a fine work of art. Oh well. The mind is willing but the nose is weak.

Blog Entries

l enjoyed this one when l tried it a few years back. Although lacking in longevity, there was something intriguing & different about it, probably because of the mastic note. l think it's easily unisex, & great for summer weather.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l enjoyed this one when l tried it a few years back. Although lacking in longevity, there was something intriguing & different about it, probably because of the mastic note. l think it's easily unisex, & great for summer weather.
    Sure great for summer, sure unisex. I first thought of it as a feminine scent when it came out. It's really well made, thinking of it as something of quality.
    Worn on jackets one doesn't wash with every wearing there's something adding up with Eau d'Ikar, some woody/resinous murmur ... sublime.

I agree, it's a good scent, definitely under the radar and while very generally appealing it does throw a bit of an interesting twist into the mix with that mastic - a very usable fragrance and will surely smell good to most people