Code of Conduct

Default Ambergris melange vs. True Ambergris tincture

Hello, I am an amateur perfumer in the US and I have been really curious about ambergris and interested in incorporating it in my blends. The sources of real ambergris tinctures I have found online are very expensive. I came across the ambergris melange on white lotus aromatics, which is a source I trust but they dont allow reviews on products. The price point of the melange is more favorable but I am skeptical to make the purchase since I do not know how it compares to true ambergris. Has anyone tried both the ambergris melange and real ambergris that can give me insight on how they fare, so I can make a more informed decision on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Default Re: Ambergris melange vs. True Ambergris tincture

Better late than never.

I was asking a similar question (elsewhere) only a few months ago. The replies I got were similar - neither! I was told that pre-made tinctures are often made from ambergris that would not sell in real form because of flaws and contaminants.
    It was recommended that I make my own real ambergris tincture, so I did. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Of the two ingredients required the alcohol was the most difficult. I tried first to get undenatured ethanol but it had to be shipped and being a "dangerous goods" was not easy. Instead I brought locally some denatured ethanol, a slight compromise but will get me started while I work on getting undenatured ethanol.

The ambergris was easier. I found a New Zealand cell phone number in a online business directory, they gave me an email address of a seller in New Zealand. To be safe I chose a small piece of 12 grams. It cost US$180 and arrived as described, "mild sweet warmed cream".

I brought a Microplane spice grater and made my first tincture using 3 grams ambergris to 97 grams alcohol making 100 gr at 3%. The cost of this was less than $50.
    The tincture is now nearly 2 months into maceration. Being white ambergris it is mild and sweet and I am looking forward to experimenting with scents after 6 months.

I have since brought a 30 gram piece of ambergris. Its aroma profile was described as, "mild, sweet, air dried laundry". and arrived as that. It cost $450. All their ambergris is US$15 a gram all up including shipping. They send a catalog of pieces to chose from. The email is fantail@mail.com or snail mail ; Ambergris, P O Box 56, Hokitika 7810, New Zealand.

A question I would ask is, is there someone who might share their experience in matching types of ambergris with types of scent. I am suspecting that my tinctures would suit feminine scents, but maybe not?

I hope this helps.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by diabla View Post
    Hello, I am an amateur perfumer in the US and I have been really curious about ambergris and interested in incorporating it in my blends. The sources of real ambergris tinctures I have found online are very expensive. I came across the ambergris melange on white lotus aromatics, which is a source I trust but they dont allow reviews on products. The price point of the melange is more favorable but I am skeptical to make the purchase since I do not know how it compares to true ambergris. Has anyone tried both the ambergris melange and real ambergris that can give me insight on how they fare, so I can make a more informed decision on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    I also would be interested in the opinion of someone who has actually got the ambergris melange from White Lotus Botanicals in how it compares to ambergris tincture, and if not any comparison, how it performs generally in doing what ambergris is supposed to do in a formula- fixing, unifying and exalting a fragrance ?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Better late than never.

I was asking a similar question (elsewhere) only a few months ago. The replies I got were similar - neither! I was told that pre-made tinctures are often made from ambergris that would not sell in real form because of flaws and contaminants.
    It was recommended that I make my own real ambergris tincture, so I did. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Of the two ingredients required the alcohol was the most difficult. I tried first to get undenatured ethanol but it had to be shipped and being a "dangerous goods" was not easy. Instead I brought locally some denatured ethanol, a slight compromise but will get me started while I work on getting undenatured ethanol.

The ambergris was easier. I found a New Zealand cell phone number in a online business directory, they gave me an email address of a seller in New Zealand. To be safe I chose a small piece of 12 grams. It cost US$180 and arrived as described, "mild sweet warmed cream".

I brought a Microplane spice grater and made my first tincture using 3 grams ambergris to 97 grams alcohol making 100 gr at 3%. The cost of this was less than $50.
    The tincture is now nearly 2 months into maceration. Being white ambergris it is mild and sweet and I am looking forward to experimenting with scents after 6 months.

I have since brought a 30 gram piece of ambergris. Its aroma profile was described as, "mild, sweet, air dried laundry". and arrived as that. It cost $450. All their ambergris is US$15 a gram all up including shipping. They send a catalog of pieces to chose from. The email is fantail@mail.com or snail mail ; Ambergris, P O Box 56, Hokitika 7810, New Zealand.

A question I would ask is, is there someone who might share their experience in matching types of ambergris with types of scent. I am suspecting that my tinctures would suit feminine scents, but maybe not?

I hope this helps.
    Thank you for the information.
    Is denatured ethano the same as perfumer's Alcohol?
    "because the sound is beneficial for the spices" (from the Jewish prayer)

No, perfumers alcohol does not generally contain 2% methanol. It is not good, safe practice to include any methanol in a perfume. Also, depending on your country, "methylated spirits" does not necessarily include methanol. It does not in Australia, for example.
    Last edited by CuddleCat; 22nd September 2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Removed the deleted post quote

Basenotes Plus

! ! ! * * * I must object ! ! ! * * *
    ! ! ! Methanol is not used for denatured alcohol for Perfumery ! ! !

This is the complete schedule of formulas used for USA denatured Alcohols/ethyl alcohol, and their purpose.
    Most common formulas used for perfumes are 40B and 39C, neither of which contain Methanol.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text...t-21/subpart-D

! ! ! Please read up on Methanol Toxicity ! ! !
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_toxicity

Methanol toxicity is poisoning from methanol.[1] Symptoms may include a decreased level of consciousness, poor coordination, vomiting, abdominal pain, and a specific smell on the breath.[1][2] Decreased vision may start as early as twelve hours after exposure.[2] Long term outcomes may include blindness and kidney failure.[1] Toxicity and death may occur even after drinking a small amount.[1]
    Methanol poisoning most commonly occurs following the drinking of windshield washer fluid.[2] This may be accidental or done purposefully in an attempt to die by suicide.[1] Toxicity may also rarely occur through skin exposure or breathing in the fumes.

JETSAM DO NOT SPREAD HAZARDOUS INFORMATION!!!!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Go pkiler!

Not gonna lie I chuckled at the caps though.

Methanol is also found in abundant quantities in star-forming regions of space and is used in astronomy as a marker for such regions. It is detected through its spectral emission lines.
    Who knew...... I am definitely not going to space.

Basenotes Junkie

Does anybody actually have any information that relates to the thread starters question?

Funny how we are reminded to keep on topic when talking about being nicer to people, but we can go off topic ( in vast capitals) about methanol and then....space....okaaaaaay….

Here was the bit that made me think "yes I would like to know that, too"

"I came across the ambergris melange on white lotus aromatics, which is a source I trust but they dont allow reviews on products. The price point of the melange is more favorable but I am skeptical to make the purchase since I do not know how it compares to true ambergris. Has anyone tried both the ambergris melange and real ambergris that can give me insight on how they fare, so I can make a more informed decision on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any replies".

I'm reasoning that natural ambergris is such a mixed bag of different smells according to age and natural process, it would be impossible to make a comparison in terms of scent profile. But in terms of what ambergris does to a blend - exalt, fix and meld - I would be interested in how the ambergris melange fares in doing that. Has anybody got some and/or used it? And what exactly is its scent profile? does it have an oceanic quality at all?

I hate to say it, but I smell no comparison. Apples and oranges. Perhaps the melange is supposed to be someone's fantasy of what ambergris smells like rather than what it actually does smell like. I suggest you tincture your own--you'll be sure it's the real deal and it's not as expensive as you might expect.