Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

hi all

i just got a sample of a vintage perfume extract of the above and was wondering how the currently sold extract compares to it? is there much difference that it would make it worth its while to look for the vintage version?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

Comparing the current versions of L'Heure Bleue in the shop, I liked the edp the most. The parfum might develop well, but the opening wasn't as agreeable to me.

Freed from BN Institution

Regarding modern L"Heure Bleue, I prefer the parfum extrait amongst the different concentrations.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

Ive decided the smell doesnt work for me. Its so sweet and powdery it smells like a day ward in a hospital with 20+ 90 year olds who are on their death bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelluson View Post
    Ive decided the smell doesnt work for me. Its so sweet and powdery it smells like a day ward in a hospital with 20+ 90 year olds who are on their death bed.
    My dear Isabelluson, you have been asking for help with vintage perfume acquisitions, with double posts here and on Fragrantica for a while now, and you've received many helpful suggestions. Perhaps a little kindness towards vintage people (whether on their death beds or not) is in order?
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    My dear Isabelluson, you have been asking for help with vintage perfume acquisitions, with double posts here and on Fragrantica for a while now, and you've received many helpful suggestions. Perhaps a little kindness towards vintage people (whether on their death beds or not) is in order?

First of all: its my business whether i ask a question here and on a completely seperate website.
    Secondly: its a forum so one can express their feelings as long as theyre not insulting to anyone which is the case with my comment.
    Thirdly: none of the replies to my post actually answered my question so if u wanna be patronizing please direct it elsewhere.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelluson View Post
    Secondly: its a forum so one can express their feelings as long as theyre not insulting to anyone which is the case with my comment.
    As one of twenty 90-year-olds in a day ward of a hospital, some of whom are on their death beds, I must disagree.

I'm going to just jump back to the question - just in case anyone else finds this thread in the future.

Buying vintage can be risky with some of the old Guerlains - bergamot just doesn't age very well, so scents like Mitsouko and Shalimar aren't something I buy in vintage. L'Heure Bleue, however, is more about the violet-orange blossom-carnation accord, so it doesn't bother me as much if the topnotes haven't aged well.

So yes, I would go for vintage in this instance. Although the current formulation is nice, it lacks much of the depth of the old stuff.

Blog Entries

I find L'Heure Bleue to be one that sneaks up on your heart from behind. I didn't fall for it immediately, either. It does have a medicinal vibe to it. And I agree there's a bit of liquid iron to it. Liquid iron....Geritol---but try that on for size with an open mind. I wear it and feel like Madeleine Albright and Iron Man had a daughter.

LIQUID IRON

Every so often, now, nothing else will do. I'm facing my bottle of EDT, which I'm assuming is vintage???, and it's half gone now. HALF EMPTY, I tell you, because in my perfume world there's no half full mentality unless a back up bottle is in storage.

DSC06803.jpg

Casual cruelty aside...I'd like to see more opinions to which modern formulation basenoters are preferring. I'd like to spare my vintage supply if I can, for special days when I can focus on the glory.

Or...Cook.Bot, you can just tell me what to do and we'll leave everybody else out of it.
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    As one of twenty 90-year-olds in a day ward of a hospital, some of whom are on their death beds, I must disagree.

And yet, my dear Cook.bot, somehow you still manage to smell marvelous! Is it your L'Heure Bleue?

I agree that vintage L'Heure Bleue has a medicinal smell and it is well documented that 90 somethings in nursing homes douse themselves with it.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I'm facing my bottle of EDT, which I'm assuming is vintage???
    That is a 1980s refillable canister, so assuming the EDT in the canister is original to it or from the same period, you have a 1980s vintage EDT.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    And yet, my dear Cook.bot, somehow you still manage to smell marvelous! Is it your L'Heure Bleue?
    Yes. The secret is layering it with Vicks Vap-O-Rub.

Basenotes Plus

Liquid iron....Geritol---but try that on for size with an open mind.

Or...Cook.Bot, you can just tell me what to do and we'll leave everybody else out of it.
    Forget the Geritol -- too swampy. Stretch out that last half-bottle by cutting it one-to-one with prune juice. Brings just the right overripe-fruit note and will remind you of Theorema.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

OK. NOW you're dating yourself.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Mandom by Mandom

Blog Entries

What if I never smelled Theorema? Am I just hopeless? Should I go to Kroger and buy some Geritol?

Scratch that last question. We all know I'm buying Geritol.

WTF is Geritol? Do we not have this in Canada?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Maltlevol liquid, eh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Geritol liquid.jpg

Blog Entries

IMG_2742.jpg

L'Heure Bleue fragrance notes

I'm wearing my vintage extrait. The most noticeable opening notes are the bergamot (citrus) and the heliotrope with strong wafts of vanilla. It is strong enough to defend itself against all the watered down tutti-frutti confection of today's market. I doubt very much if the recent version could hold a candle to this version. If you want to be insulting and say it smells "old" please be aware that that is offensive and NOT descriptive in the least. It's just rude.
    Currently wearing: Un Coeur en Mai by MDCI

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm wearing my vintage extrait. The most noticeable opening notes are the bergamot (citrus) and the heliotrope with strong wafts of vanilla. It is strong enough to defend itself against all the watered down tutti-frutti confection of today's market. I doubt very much if the recent version could hold a candle to this version.
    I share your views on vintage L'Heure Bleue. I've never picked up medicinal qualities in my vintage extrait. Opinions about perfume are so individually determined that even published notes can't be detected by everyone, and when they are, they're apt to be interpreted differently. To me, the vintage extrait is just heavenly - out of my entire collection, it's probably the one I appreciate most, and have the greatest respect for.

While L'Heure Bleue might not be for everyone, and the powdery-spicy nature of it might strike someone today as being dated and operatic, I think it's a perfume worthy of great respect and admiration by perfume enthusiasts. I remain convinced that the composition of vanilla, heliotrope, soft and powdery and then in-wrought with a heart of incredible anisic spiciness is a stroke of genius. This is just my opinion, but an aspiring perfumer of all people has to at the very least recognize the brilliance of L'Heure Bleue, and learn not to dismiss it offhand after 5 minutes.

I should know, it happens to be one of the Guerlain fragrances that took the longest for me to understand and get behind. For a while I actively avoided the bottle at Guerlain counters. Now I understand why it's lived such a long life and why it's ranked among the greats.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Ebay. A reasonably priced vintage EDT refill is mine now.

When I say something has a medicinal vibe, it's not an insult. Getting more to the point, neither is saying something smells "old," at least, per se. Puke up that Kool-aid, because if "old" is insulting then you've just bought into every youth culture ad campaign that crossed your eyeballs. And every time I hear a Britney Spears fragrance described as "youthful" or "tutti-frutti" I expect an apology on behalf of every 15 year old girl on the planet.

Rudeness, on the other hand, transcends language. I use it myself sometimes, so I should know.

Now...this.

DSC06804.jpg

Geritol, being a B vitamin and iron liquid, has an aroma, and it's solvent is water and alcohol. One of the first ingrediants is Brewer's yeast. I suppose Brewer's yeast could be calling up my vetiver memory, Why wouldn't it cast that aroma? I've got L'Heure Bleue on one hand, and Geritol on the other. My Geritol hand wants to tell you something...there is something in common. To my nose. In my opinion.

My magnesium supplement smells like Bois Farine--bread-y.

And I expect to have more energy by this time next month.

I got a sickling feeling for a second when I saw this
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by therese19 View Post
    I agree that vintage L'Heure Bleue has a medicinal smell and it is well documented that 90 somethings in nursing homes douse themselves with it.
    Medicinal as in herbal?

I wish I could I sample this in order to make my own assessment of it.

When the moment comes for me to shuffle off this mortal coil, I want to be:

a) conscious
    b) wearing vintage L'Heure Bleue.

To me, it is the most beautiful perfume ever composed.
    Vintage or bust, in my opinion.

Ps. @Shycat - nice nails!

Hi all-

We had some excellent discussions of LHB in one of the Turin/Sanchez 100 threads organized by Ebenas a few months ago. Here's the link in case anyone wants to read or re-read...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/449...leue-(Guerlain)

My everyday LHB is an EDT from 2000, and I have the parfum from the 1960's, which I keep for special occasions. Sometimes, I layer a dab of the parfum with sprays of the EDT. For me, the animalic basenotes in the vintage LHB parfum came as a total surprise--nitromusks possibly or some warm civet. I wasn't expecting to find furry creatures cavorting amid the nostalgic purple hued flowers, anise, and smoky vanilla. Lordy! vintage L'Heure Bleue parfum may actually be,,,provocative, sensual, and NSFW!!! Yup. There is life iin the 90+ granny on the deathbed. I have never tested the current parfum so I have no idea if this is still true. At first, I thought the 2000 EDT had absolutely no hint of animalic notes in the base, but after wearing the vintage parfum, I began to perceive faint muskiness in the EDT as well. I don't find my two versions of LHB medicinal at all, perhaps there is an ingredient in the current that is suggesting this?

Meanwhile, my perfume explorations inspired me to plant heliotrope in my garden for the first time, right next to a comfy seat, and it is wonderful to see (and smell). You should do this, too, if you love LHB.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Ebay. A reasonably priced vintage EDT refill is mine now.

When I say something has a medicinal vibe, it's not an insult. Getting more to the point, neither is saying something smells "old," at least, per se. Puke up that Kool-aid, because if "old" is insulting then you've just bought into every youth culture ad campaign that crossed your eyeballs. And every time I hear a Britney Spears fragrance described as "youthful" or "tutti-frutti" I expect an apology on behalf of every 15 year old girl on the planet.

Rudeness, on the other hand, transcends language. I use it myself sometimes, so I should know.

Now...this.

DSC06804.jpg

Geritol, being a B vitamin and iron liquid, has an aroma, and it's solvent is water and alcohol. One of the first ingrediants is Brewer's yeast. I suppose Brewer's yeast could be calling up my vetiver memory, Why wouldn't it cast that aroma? I've got L'Heure Bleue on one hand, and Geritol on the other. My Geritol hand wants to tell you something...there is something in common. To my nose. In my opinion.

My magnesium supplement smells like Bois Farine--bread-y.

And I expect to have more energy by this time next month.
    You expect apologies for the young fragrances that are disliked for their wan feebleness but not for the classic scents that are compared to "90 year-old women on their death beds"? This is patently unfair. I guess you think other people don't matter. It's just a big joke to you. How very reassuring.
    Currently wearing: Un Coeur en Mai by MDCI

Basenotes Plus

Vintage L'Heure Bleue is DIVINE.

I even bought a bottle of Grossmith's Shem el Nessim simply because it supposedly smelled like LHB.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation 25 by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Vintage L'Heure Bleue is DIVINE.

I even bought a bottle of Grossmith's Shem el Nessim simply because it supposedly smelled like LHB.
    You know, that never occurred to me. There's definitely a similarity. What did you think?

Shem el Nessim is beautiful, definitely neo-Victorian, but much spicier smelling that LHB.

With all this talk of LHB, I had to go and put some on (vintage parfum de toilette.) Some people talk about LHB like it's one of Guerlain's more challenging offerings, but I loved it instantly, more so than Shalimar and Mitsouko (though my love for Shalimar has grown considerably.)