Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Thanks, Ebay. A reasonably priced vintage EDT refill is mine now.

    When I say something has a medicinal vibe, it's not an insult. Getting more to the point, neither is saying something smells "old," at least, per se. Puke up that Kool-aid, because if "old" is insulting then you've just bought into every youth culture ad campaign that crossed your eyeballs. And every time I hear a Britney Spears fragrance described as "youthful" or "tutti-frutti" I expect an apology on behalf of every 15 year old girl on the planet.
    Well said! And let's be honest, it doesn't get much older than LHB. She's well over 100 now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post

    Rudeness, on the other hand, transcends language. I use it myself sometimes, so I should know.

    Now...this.
    Me too. It's great for telling pompous, belligerent 'old' farts where to get off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Ha ha. That pic is nuts. Love it!
    Currently wearing: Acteur by Azzaro

  2. #32
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,319

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    You know, that never occurred to me. There's definitely a similarity. What did you think?

    Shem el Nessim is beautiful, definitely neo-Victorian, but much spicier smelling that LHB.
    The Shem has a slightly more sprightly tone than LHB, it feels lighter and a bit more "sparkly." I'd swear there's a bit of geranium in there somewhere. I really like it, but am not a fan of its lack of longevity.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation 25 by Amouage

  3. #33

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    The Shem has a slightly more sprightly tone than LHB, it feels lighter and a bit more "sparkly." I'd swear there's a bit of geranium in there somewhere. I really like it, but am not a fan of its lack of longevity.
    I agree completely. I also think the quality is very good. Perhaps a high level of naturals causes the lack of longevity.

    It's funny, as I think the SEN opens a lot stronger than LHB, almost power house level, causing one to go easy on the trigger, but it definitely fails to maintain that level.
    Currently wearing: Acteur by Azzaro

  4. #34
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    14,288
    Blog Entries
    101

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Well said! And let's be honest, it doesn't get much older than LHB. She's well over 100 now.

    Me too. It's great for telling pompous, belligerent 'old' farts where to get off.
    Suspended, I guess you must really hate me. I'm sorry if I've offended you. I thought it might interest you to know that I have feelings, too. These comments you've made are not in keeping with the spirit of BaseNotes policy to have respect for each other. I wonder if you have any idea how hurtful you are being.
    Currently wearing: Un Coeur en Mai by MDCI

  5. #35
    Let's Dance
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,295

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage



    I'm only familiar with the above, or well-versed, at least. This was a near 'blind buy' from a kind BNer; I had previously tried L'Heure Bleue at stores but till recently didn't have any recollection. This EdP is excellent. It is redolent of powder and florals, tempered with spices, abstract and nearly perfect. Counterintuitively, I think this would work better on young(er) people. I love the fact that it is potent, a good five sprays is adequate me often. It survived through a few hours of cooking Indian food, which is admirable. I still feel it will work much better for me when the weather cools down. It does have an autumnal quality to me, but not the smoky, dreary autumnal day of clouds, showers and cold winds; rather, the warm glow of an autumnal sunset followed by the sharp nip of the evening air In short: 5:30 pm local time at Cleveland in October, or Phoenix in December.

    I thought I'd take out some of the ones I have on hand and take a photo to show how I often arrange these in the closet. These are sorted in increasing order of dandification from right to left. Please excuse my apparent poor taste regarding the Chanel (you know which one ), but it is quite nice; and, I assure you that the Acqua di Gio Profumo is charming. I've used it quite a lot over the last month.



    Mistake: The Dandy should ideally be between Egoiste and the Prada.

  6. #36

    Shycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You expect apologies for the young fragrances that are disliked for their wan feebleness but not for the classic scents that are compared to "90 year-old women on their death beds"? This is patently unfair. I guess you think other people don't matter. It's just a big joke to you. How very reassuring.
    I do try to lighten heavy subjects with humor. It is a coping mechanism for me. I do believe that all people matter. I'm very sorry to have hurt you over a subject about which you are passionate. I don't hate you by any means, far from it. I do not engage with persons I dislike but I rarely dislike anyone. If I'm speaking to you, I'm giving myself to you and that, for me, is an act of love and sharing. I try, always, to see a picture bigger than myself, and recognize the feelings and pain of others.

    I will remember this thread always and I will be extra careful when I respond to any of your concerns not to re-tread on your toes. I will continue to also be true to my own identity, values, and opinions. Please forgive me for the pain I have caused.
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

  7. #37
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    14,288
    Blog Entries
    101

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I do try to lighten heavy subjects with humor. It is a coping mechanism for me. I do believe that all people matter. I'm very sorry to have hurt you over a subject about which you are passionate. I don't hate you by any means, far from it. I do not engage with persons I dislike but I rarely dislike anyone. If I'm speaking to you, I'm giving myself to you and that, for me, is an act of love and sharing. I try, always, to see a picture bigger than myself, and recognize the feelings and pain of others.

    I will remember this thread always and I will be extra careful when I respond to any of your concerns not to re-tread on your toes. I will continue to also be true to my own identity, values, and opinions. Please forgive me for the pain I have caused.
    Thank-you, Shycat. That was heartfelt and difficult to write, I’m sure. Frankly my initial objection was directed at the OP but you got tangled up in the crossfire. I never want to make someone feel bad because they are partial to a particular scent. Each to his own. But I do feel strongly that it’s counterproductive and just not cricket to insult ANYONE when describing a perfume or smell. Thanks and of course, all is well.
    Currently wearing: Un Coeur en Mai by MDCI

  8. #38

    Shycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thank-you, Shycat. That was heartfelt and difficult to write, I’m sure. Frankly my initial objection was directed at the OP but you got tangled up in the crossfire. I never want to make someone feel bad because they are partial to a particular scent. Each to his own. But I do feel strongly that it’s counterproductive and just not cricket to insult ANYONE when describing a perfume or smell. Thanks and of course, all is well.

    It was easy as pie to write. It's true. That's why I've already had more personal (but not inappropriate) interactions with Suspended and I love him, oh, lets say twice as much as I already did. By now, if he ever hits Nashville, I will clean up my guest room and save him the cost of a hotel. See??? There goes humor again. But it's humor with a large grain of truth--my guest room is an unholy mess and I hate to clean, yet my offer is genuine.
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

  9. #39

    Shycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: l'heure bleue extract current vs vintage

    This is also coming my way. The seller didn't say what size bottle, but I'm trying to guess 1 oz, and judging it to be half full or better. $90. Ebay is always a bit of a gamble but I guess I'll find out.

    L'Heure Bleue.jpg

    L'Heure Bleue #2.jpg


    I'm coming his way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

Similar Threads

  1. Vintage l'Heure Bleue
    By bokaba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th April 2015, 01:47 PM
  2. Vintage L'Heure Bleue EDP on Ebay - someone please help!
    By travisbickle in forum Vintage Perfume
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th October 2012, 09:42 PM
  3. Current L'Heure Bleue parfum: worth buying?
    By GelbeDomino in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th March 2011, 07:30 PM
  4. Vintage L'Heure Bleue review
    By Merlino in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19th July 2009, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000