Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Hi everyone,

    As I'm exploring and learning here, I stumbled across facial moisturizers at the suggestion of someone. I began looking at Bulldog, and then came across Rugged & Dapper. I liked the comments of the Rugged & Dapper representative, and their company/product seems to be all about natural and healthy ingredients and effect; However, $25 seems like a lot of money for a face moisturizer, but this is coming from someone who has never really used them - maybe I need it, lol. Questions -

    1) Does a moisturizer have a real effect on your face/skin, or does your skin naturally produce what it needs?

    2) Should a daily face moisturizer have SPF? The Rugged & Dapper rep made a very interesting comment regarding this question, and I'd like to get y'alls thoughts on it -

    "Please note that this product does not contain Chemical Sunscreen protection or SPF. The powerful ingredients help repair damage caused from over sun exposure, which is the way nature intended. Nourishing peptides support the healing & repair response of the skin. Vitamin C & E found in Aloe Vera help strengthen skin's barrier response, reduce inflammation, and help skin better withstand exposure to sunlight, whether protected by sunscreen or not. Green Tea is rich in polyphenols, one of the most powerful botanical antioxidants known today. They offer unrivalled action against free radical exposure which is responsible for 80% of skin aging and can boost your skin`s antioxidant protection from the inside out.The majority of mainstream sunscreen products today contain a cocktail of carcinogenic chemicals, allergens, and irritants which dramatically increase the effects of aging. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and since it is porous, it absorbs whatever you put on it. For this reason, RUGGED & DAPPER strives to provide products that are healthy for you inside and out.

    The sun gets a bad rap in our society, but mounting evidence is revealing that moderate sun exposure at healthy levels is not only safe, but essential. While burning and extreme sun exposure can lead to a slightly increased cancer risk, Vitamin D (obtained from sun exposure) has been linked to a lower risk of many other cancers, including skin cancer. If you will be in the scorching sun for long periods of time especially during the hottest times of the day, we suggest applying a mineral sunscreen made with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, after applying our Age & Damage Defense Moisturizer in the morning.
    "

  2. #2

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    1) Moisturisers are a godsent if you have dry skin. If you're oily, try to look for something that offers oil control instead.

    2) I'm very fair, have freckles in places no people should ever have (fun fact, my optician told me I've got one inside my eye). Sunscreen is important to me, and I exclusively use Japanese sunscreen as their formulations are generally speaking much more advanced than what you find in the West.

    I'm not an expert, but I gather neither is the rep that wrote that ingredients in sunscreen are carcinogenic. There are strict regulations on what goes into cosmetics and I call bollocks on what they are saying. Also, all natural does not at all automatically equal better.

    You can get more than enough vitamin D with 10 minutes of exposure to the sun a day, and a sensible diet that contains oily fish, dairy, and fortified breakfast cereal. Cod liver oil capsules contain a lot of vitamin D, too.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    20,311

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Agree with Nastka.

    1) It depens on skin type and circumstances (ie very dry environment). Also, moisturizers have the effect of plumping up the skin a bit, which is good for the appearance.

    2) Sun protection is necessary to prevent skin cancers, and more in general to avoid sun damage. Sun is the number 1 cause for aging the skin. When and how much SPF depends on many factors. Having SPF together with a moisturizer can be convenient, but one can also use two separate products. Some people actually prefer separate products so each of them can be applied in the appropriate proportions. SPF must be applied liberally; if a cream is expensive and one tries to economize, there's the risk of applying too little SPF.

    cacio

  4. #4

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    1) Moisturisers are a godsent if you have dry skin. If you're oily, try to look for something that offers oil control instead.

    2) I'm very fair, have freckles in places no people should ever have (fun fact, my optician told me I've got one inside my eye). Sunscreen is important to me, and I exclusively use Japanese sunscreen as their formulations are generally speaking much more advanced than what you find in the West.

    I'm not an expert, but I gather neither is the rep that wrote that ingredients in sunscreen are carcinogenic. There are strict regulations on what goes into cosmetics and I call bollocks on what they are saying. Also, all natural does not at all automatically equal better.

    You can get more than enough vitamin D with 10 minutes of exposure to the sun a day, and a sensible diet that contains oily fish, dairy, and fortified breakfast cereal. Cod liver oil capsules contain a lot of vitamin D, too.

    Thanks!

    Are any of those Japanese sunscreens available on Amazon by chance?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Agree with Nastka.

    1) It depens on skin type and circumstances (ie very dry environment). Also, moisturizers have the effect of plumping up the skin a bit, which is good for the appearance.

    2) Sun protection is necessary to prevent skin cancers, and more in general to avoid sun damage. Sun is the number 1 cause for aging the skin. When and how much SPF depends on many factors. Having SPF together with a moisturizer can be convenient, but one can also use two separate products. Some people actually prefer separate products so each of them can be applied in the appropriate proportions. SPF must be applied liberally; if a cream is expensive and one tries to economize, there's the risk of applying too little SPF.

    cacio

    Any thoughts on the Rugged & Dapper moisturizer?

    I live in So Cal, am in my 40s (unfortunately), and work in an office, so don't really experience prolonged sun exposure unless it's a weekend outdoor activity or maybe driving home with the sunroof open. Should I just use an SPF for the times when I'm going outdoors for an hour or more? (probably a dumb question, but I'm a noob to this)

    And curious if you have an opinion about the Bulldog moisturizer, which comes with an SPF?

    I can say that since using a healthy after-shave balm (Pacific Northwest), I definitely can feel a huge difference in my face/skin. I'm wondering though, if these things are just for temporary cosmetic purposes (ie short-term looks for a few hours), or if it's also important for health. I'm currently reading the thread about a moisturizing mask at night, and that has some info, but thought I'd ask specifically about a daytime face moisturizer, and if it's worth the investment.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starflyte View Post
    Thanks!

    Are any of those Japanese sunscreens available on Amazon by chance?
    I'm not from the US, some may well be, so have a look. Also, this website provides good reviews and a lot of information about Japanese sunscreens:

    https://www.ratzillacosme.com/

    Adambeauty is also a legit Asian seller and I've never had orders come late, though I do get customs charges sometimes:

    http://www.adambeauty.com/index.php

    My favourite so far is the Hada Labo sunscreen in the blue squeeze bottle, and Shiseido Senka in the yellow squeeze bottle but I have dry skin. If you want something for oilier skin, try Biore's Aqua Rich Watery Essence or Biore UV Perfect Face Milk.

  6. #6
    Let's Dance
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,029

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    1) Moisturisers are a godsent if you have dry skin. If you're oily, try to look for something that offers oil control instead.

    2) I'm very fair, have freckles in places no people should ever have (fun fact, my optician told me I've got one inside my eye). Sunscreen is important to me, and I exclusively use Japanese sunscreen as their formulations are generally speaking much more advanced than what you find in the West.

    I'm not an expert, but I gather neither is the rep that wrote that ingredients in sunscreen are carcinogenic. There are strict regulations on what goes into cosmetics and I call bollocks on what they are saying. Also, all natural does not at all automatically equal better.

    You can get more than enough vitamin D with 10 minutes of exposure to the sun a day, and a sensible diet that contains oily fish, dairy, and fortified breakfast cereal. Cod liver oil capsules contain a lot of vitamin D, too.
    Thanks. Is "old-fashioned" rolled oats a fortified breakfast cereal?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    20,311

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    So Cal is very sunny, in one hour you can can even get burnt. I would use sunscreen if you are exposed for more than 10 min. You don't need extremely high SPF. In fact, there's little difference in protection after SPF 30. Rather, make sure that you get protection both against UVA and UVB (also called broad protection)-not all sunscreens do that.

    Pretty much all creams only give transitory benefit, nothing long run. Except sunscreen, that is, since sunscreen prevents sun damage and keeps the skin younger looking over the long run.

    So in sum I'd say that if you don't want to spend the money on an expensive face cream, there's no need to do so. But do buy and use a broad spectrum SPF product (and don't forget your hands!). There are several inexpensive ones at regular drugstores. Just choose one that you like using (as others were saying-oily or not depending on your skin and taste).

    I have not used Bulldog or Rugged and Dapper, so I don't know how they are.

    cacio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks. Is "old-fashioned" rolled oats a fortified breakfast cereal?
    Good question. Have a look at the back of your box or bag, any added vitamins should be stated in the ingredients, or at least they are here in the UK. I think this mainly applies to processed cereals such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and such, not sure about rolled oats.

  9. #9
    Let's Dance
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,029

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So Cal is very sunny, in one hour you can can even get burnt. I would use sunscreen if you are exposed for more than 10 min. You don't need extremely high SPF. In fact, there's little difference in protection after SPF 30. Rather, make sure that you get protection both against UVA and UVB (also called broad protection)-not all sunscreens do that.

    Pretty much all creams only give transitory benefit, nothing long run. Except sunscreen, that is, since sunscreen prevents sun damage and keeps the skin younger looking over the long run.

    So in sum I'd say that if you don't want to spend the money on an expensive face cream, there's no need to do so. But do buy and use a broad spectrum SPF product (and don't forget your hands!). There are several inexpensive ones at regular drugstores. Just choose one that you like using (as others were saying-oily or not depending on your skin and taste).

    I have not used Bulldog or Rugged and Dapper, so I don't know how they are.

    cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Good question. Have a look at the back of your box or bag, any added vitamins should be stated in the ingredients, or at least they are here in the UK. I think this mainly applies to processed cereals such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and such, not sure about rolled oats.
    Thanks, what do you have for breakfast?

    (I used to have oats+blueberry, and plan to revert to that. Currently cereal + milk and sometimes a couple of eggs. And, black coffee.

    How about this: oats+blueberry, a couple of eggs sunny side up + cappuccino? I don't like salt or sugar that much, I never add sugar to coffee or tea. I always use whole milk, never reduced fat. Healthy, I think?


    Off topic: Just tried Iris de Nuit, it's gorgeous!)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Good question. Have a look at the back of your box or bag, any added vitamins should be stated in the ingredients, or at least they are here in the UK. I think this mainly applies to processed cereals such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and such, not sure about rolled oats.
    Honestly I'm a little skeptical of anything 'added', I think better to have more 'raw' food, if you know what I mean.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks, what do you have for breakfast?

    (I used to have oats+blueberry, and plan to revert to that. Currently cereal + milk and sometimes a couple of eggs. And, black coffee.

    How about this: oats+blueberry, a couple of eggs sunny side up + cappuccino? I don't like salt or sugar that much, I never add sugar to coffee or tea. I always use whole milk, never reduced fat. Healthy, I think?

    Off topic: Just tried Iris de Nuit, it's gorgeous!)

    Honestly I'm a little skeptical of anything 'added', I think better to have more 'raw' food, if you know what I mean.
    Not to derail the thread, but whilst I like a savoury or cooked breakfast (eggs benedict or poached eggs on toast... yum), I don't have the time to cook. I usually take a cereal with me to work (corn flakes, muesli, weetabix, granola or oats) and have it when I'm hungry. I also used to have smoothies - one small apple, lots of berries and oats or oat bran - which is healthy and filling.

    As for the 'added' part, well, my attitude to that is that in this case, every little helps, even if the absorption rates aren't as good with added vitamins.

    As for Iris de Nuit - wish they still sold Heeley where I am...!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Kiehl's Facial Fuel with SPF 15 is what I use when I know I will be spending time outdoors, otherwise I just use the regular Facial Fuel for an all around moisturizer.

    Facial_Fuel_SPF_15_3700194723583_2.5fl.oz..jpg
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"
    Currently wearing: Gendarme by Gendarme

  12. #12

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    I use SPF moisturiser as a part of daily shaving routine.
    Shave (Philips RQ1290)->Aftershave (Terre d'Hermes lotion)->Moisturiser:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

  13. #13

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    If you're still undecided in regards to sun protection, have a look at this article. As surreal as it seems, I haven't found anything disputing it's authenticity:

    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8180141.html

    One thing that makes me wonder is whether he drove with his window down. In Europe, all automotive glass has to have UV protection applied to it as far as I know.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    20,311

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    The article is a good reminder that one needs broad spectrum protection, not just SPF (which is rated for UVB).

    I don't know about the rules on glass in car, but I think this man is from the US. Plus, rules on spf are probably recent.

    cacio

  15. #15

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    I misspoke when I said that UV protection is a requirement - it occurs as a by-product due to the laminate in the safety glass used for windshields. However, the side windows often have less UV protection due to the lack of said laminate. Still, most of the harmful rays are filtered. The article at the bottom is by a US website, though, and EU standards may differ.

    This is also a reason why anyone with spectacles featuring reactions / transitions lenses should have a pair of sunglasses in their glove-box. Photochromic lenses need UVA radiation to turn darker.

    Quote Originally Posted by autoblog.com
    The layer of plastic helps windshields absorb nearly all of the sun's ultraviolet rays. Plastic is naturally good at absorbing UV rays, and can be made with extra UV absorbers to protect even more. The Pittsburgh Glass Works exec says windshields absorb 100 percent of UVB rays (which cause sunburn), and around 98 percent of UVA rays. Those UVA rays don't cause sunburn but can do long-term damage to the skin. That built-in protection gives windshields a sun protection factor - or SPF - of 50 or more, the equivalent of some of the strongest sunscreens.

    Sunroofs, too, often contain UV-absorbing technology that can block around 90 percent of UV rays. That's partly to keep the car cool as well as protect occupants from sun exposure. But side and rear windows are a different story, and their SPF can vary a lot depending on the vehicle.

    Side windows are usually made from cheaper tempered glass, which is around 4 millimeters thick and doesn't include a layer of plastic. Tempered glass is designed to shatter into tiny pieces in order to protect the occupants in a crash. But unless they're tinted for privacy, side windows usually absorb only 65 percent of UV rays. That gives them an SPF of around 16, the same as some of the lowest grades of sunscreen. That may be all right for people who don't do a lot of driving. But several studies indicate a link between skin cancer and sun exposure while driving, especially for truck drivers or those with long commutes.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/...ainst-uv-rays/

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    20,311

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Thanks for the link. Very informative. It stresses once again that one should always use sun protection creams.
    cacio

  17. #17

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    This is the organic facial moisturizer with SPF that I use... on Amazon: Andalou Naturals Ultra Sheer Daily Defense Facial Lotion, SPF 18, 2.7 oz, with Resveratrol CoQ10 and Antioxidants, Lightweight, Hydrating Facial Moisturizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052P0XBO




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Psychokinesis by Sixteen92

  18. #18

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Holy moly on that article!!

    And I ended-up trying Jack Black's (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) because it had a small size available, and I really like it. I can see/feel the tightening, it spreads really well (tiny dab is all you need), and it seems to be high quality.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    This is the organic facial moisturizer with SPF that I use... on Amazon: Andalou Naturals Ultra Sheer Daily Defense Facial Lotion, SPF 18, 2.7 oz, with Resveratrol CoQ10 and Antioxidants, Lightweight, Hydrating Facial Moisturizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052P0XBO




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This looks interesting. Seems like a well-done ingredients list, and the price is right.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    You definitely need a moisturiser and sunscreen for healthy skin. I’d recommend Shisheido Waso

  20. #20

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaird View Post
    You definitely need a moisturiser and sunscreen for healthy skin. I’d recommend Shisheido Waso
    Thanks for recommendation! I heard a few people mention Shisheido... IF you have time (and/or maybe others might chime in), I have several questions:

    1) What is the diff between the "WASO" portion of the brand and the others? From what I found, this is made with some natural food ingredients?
    2) I found several SPF items, but am having a little difficulty in determining the differences. One says moisturizer and another says wrinkle resist cream. Any thoughts?
    https://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Ibuk...s=shiseido+spf

    https://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Bene...s=shiseido+spf

    https://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Envi...s=shiseido+spf

    And I'm guessing this is the one YOU would recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Waso...seido+waso+spf


    3) Have you or others heard of Biotherm and any thoughts/opinions?

    https://www.amazon.com/Biotherm-Sola...s=biotherm+spf

  21. #21
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

    Hello Starflyte,

    Happy to help!

    Waso has mainly natural ingredients (though it does have some chemicals as well), and is very lightly scented, and has an incredibly light non greasy texture, and is completely matte. This is quite important for men since some moisturizers tend to have a sheen or a gloss that may be deemed too feminine. I find that WASO stays light on my skin and never irritates my skin (I have hyper sensitive skin). It also gives my skin enough moisture to last an entire working day so that I only need reapply when I go to bed at night.

    In so far as the sunscreens are concerned, this really depends on your age, skin type, ethnicity and geographic location.

    I wouldn't recommend wrinkle resist creams for people under the age of 40, and in any case, if you do have wrinkling issues, I would not recommend using a dual purpose sunscreen for treating this condition, I would instead recommend a proper sunscreen, and a different product for night time use to reduce fine lines. Also, the number on the SPF is very important. If you live in the tropics, I'd recommend atleast SPF 30 (even if you are indoors most of the time). In the temperates, depending on the climate, you can opt for between SPF 15 - SPF 30. Anything above SPF 50, I'd only recommend if you are spending a major portion of your day, out in direct sunlight.

    In your case, this may be the best option: https://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Envi...s=shiseido+spf

    Biotherm is a good brand as well, there are hundreds out there, each with some USP or the other. I have never used it, so I cannot comment. Clarins is another brand that has some special products for men, if you'd like to look at that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'm going to post some details below regarding what I do everyday to keep my skin protected. I'm 30 years old, male, and of Indian origin, just to put things into perspective. This may help demystify some of the doubts on what to use, how and when, as it can be a bit overwhelming to begin with, and a lot of men find it hard to ask such questions at the counter.

    Firstly, you need to have two regimes, one for daytime and one for the night. This is because your skin faces different environments during these two distinct parts of the day.

    Morning Regime:
    1. I wash my face with warm water to open up the pores.

    2. Cleanse with a gentle facial cleanser (I recommend Jack Black Deep Dive Facial Cleanser : https://www.getjackblack.com/Product...sh__2024O.aspx)
    Apply cleanser in gentle circular motions, don't put on too much pressure, since this may enlarge your pores or stretch your skin unnecessarily. Remember, we aren't sanding down wood, this is your face, be gentle.

    3. After cleansing, splash with hot water to remove all traces of the cleanser, and once your face is thoroughly clean, splash with cold water to close your pores.

    4. Apply toner to maintain the pH balance of your skin. This is optional, but I'd recommend it. Check out Baxter of California : https://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/h...ntiagingformen
    Apply toner by taking a few drops on your fingers and dabbing it all over your face, and then wait for it to dry (it takes only a couple of seconds)

    5. Apply moisturizer of your choice.

    6. Apply sunscreen of your choice.

    Now you are good to go to work!

    Night time regime:

    1. Repeat steps 1-4 from the day time regime.

    2. Apply a night repair serum, which is a highly concentrated liquid that helps moisturize, heal and repair your skin. Often, these repair serums have ingredients like retinol, which should not be used during the day. I'd recommend Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (https://www.kiehls.com/skincare/seru...trate/819.html)

    3. Apply moisturizer of your choice.

    4. Apply eye cream to reduce puffiness and fine lines from your under eyes. I'd recommend Clinique Anti Age Eye Cream for Men (https://www.clinique.com/product/129...-age-eye-cream)
    You literally need microscopic quantities of this. Dab under eyes, do not apply on the lids.

    5. Go to bed!

    While this may seem like a massive list of things to do, and keep track of, once you get into the routine, you'll find it hardly takes much time, and the results are well worth the effort.

    Let me know if you need any help!

Similar Threads

  1. Shiseido Men Moisturizing Emulsion
    By JoNnY 4 in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd March 2010, 02:47 AM
  2. Best firming + care 'n' nourishing facial cream?
    By Killer_Vavoom in forum Cosmetics & Beauty
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th September 2006, 07:41 AM
  3. Moisturizing Face Wash
    By EnvYuS in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 4th May 2006, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000