Code of Conduct

Default Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

Hi everyone,

As I'm exploring and learning here, I stumbled across facial moisturizers at the suggestion of someone. I began looking at Bulldog, and then came across Rugged & Dapper. I liked the comments of the Rugged & Dapper representative, and their company/product seems to be all about natural and healthy ingredients and effect; However, $25 seems like a lot of money for a face moisturizer, but this is coming from someone who has never really used them - maybe I need it, lol. Questions -

1) Does a moisturizer have a real effect on your face/skin, or does your skin naturally produce what it needs?

2) Should a daily face moisturizer have SPF? The Rugged & Dapper rep made a very interesting comment regarding this question, and I'd like to get y'alls thoughts on it -

"Please note that this product does not contain Chemical Sunscreen protection or SPF. The powerful ingredients help repair damage caused from over sun exposure, which is the way nature intended. Nourishing peptides support the healing & repair response of the skin. Vitamin C & E found in Aloe Vera help strengthen skin's barrier response, reduce inflammation, and help skin better withstand exposure to sunlight, whether protected by sunscreen or not. Green Tea is rich in polyphenols, one of the most powerful botanical antioxidants known today. They offer unrivalled action against free radical exposure which is responsible for 80% of skin aging and can boost your skin`s antioxidant protection from the inside out.The majority of mainstream sunscreen products today contain a cocktail of carcinogenic chemicals, allergens, and irritants which dramatically increase the effects of aging. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and since it is porous, it absorbs whatever you put on it. For this reason, RUGGED & DAPPER strives to provide products that are healthy for you inside and out.

The sun gets a bad rap in our society, but mounting evidence is revealing that moderate sun exposure at healthy levels is not only safe, but essential. While burning and extreme sun exposure can lead to a slightly increased cancer risk, Vitamin D (obtained from sun exposure) has been linked to a lower risk of many other cancers, including skin cancer. If you will be in the scorching sun for long periods of time especially during the hottest times of the day, we suggest applying a mineral sunscreen made with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, after applying our Age & Damage Defense Moisturizer in the morning.
    "

Default Re: Facial moisturizing cream and/or SPF worth it?

1) Moisturisers are a godsent if you have dry skin. If you're oily, try to look for something that offers oil control instead.

2) I'm very fair, have freckles in places no people should ever have (fun fact, my optician told me I've got one inside my eye). Sunscreen is important to me, and I exclusively use Japanese sunscreen as their formulations are generally speaking much more advanced than what you find in the West.

I'm not an expert, but I gather neither is the rep that wrote that ingredients in sunscreen are carcinogenic. There are strict regulations on what goes into cosmetics and I call bollocks on what they are saying. Also, all natural does not at all automatically equal better.

You can get more than enough vitamin D with 10 minutes of exposure to the sun a day, and a sensible diet that contains oily fish, dairy, and fortified breakfast cereal. Cod liver oil capsules contain a lot of vitamin D, too.

Agree with Nastka.

1) It depens on skin type and circumstances (ie very dry environment). Also, moisturizers have the effect of plumping up the skin a bit, which is good for the appearance.

2) Sun protection is necessary to prevent skin cancers, and more in general to avoid sun damage. Sun is the number 1 cause for aging the skin. When and how much SPF depends on many factors. Having SPF together with a moisturizer can be convenient, but one can also use two separate products. Some people actually prefer separate products so each of them can be applied in the appropriate proportions. SPF must be applied liberally; if a cream is expensive and one tries to economize, there's the risk of applying too little SPF.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    1) Moisturisers are a godsent if you have dry skin. If you're oily, try to look for something that offers oil control instead.

2) I'm very fair, have freckles in places no people should ever have (fun fact, my optician told me I've got one inside my eye). Sunscreen is important to me, and I exclusively use Japanese sunscreen as their formulations are generally speaking much more advanced than what you find in the West.

I'm not an expert, but I gather neither is the rep that wrote that ingredients in sunscreen are carcinogenic. There are strict regulations on what goes into cosmetics and I call bollocks on what they are saying. Also, all natural does not at all automatically equal better.

You can get more than enough vitamin D with 10 minutes of exposure to the sun a day, and a sensible diet that contains oily fish, dairy, and fortified breakfast cereal. Cod liver oil capsules contain a lot of vitamin D, too.

Thanks!

Are any of those Japanese sunscreens available on Amazon by chance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Agree with Nastka.

1) It depens on skin type and circumstances (ie very dry environment). Also, moisturizers have the effect of plumping up the skin a bit, which is good for the appearance.

2) Sun protection is necessary to prevent skin cancers, and more in general to avoid sun damage. Sun is the number 1 cause for aging the skin. When and how much SPF depends on many factors. Having SPF together with a moisturizer can be convenient, but one can also use two separate products. Some people actually prefer separate products so each of them can be applied in the appropriate proportions. SPF must be applied liberally; if a cream is expensive and one tries to economize, there's the risk of applying too little SPF.

cacio

Any thoughts on the Rugged & Dapper moisturizer?

I live in So Cal, am in my 40s (unfortunately), and work in an office, so don't really experience prolonged sun exposure unless it's a weekend outdoor activity or maybe driving home with the sunroof open. Should I just use an SPF for the times when I'm going outdoors for an hour or more? (probably a dumb question, but I'm a noob to this)

And curious if you have an opinion about the Bulldog moisturizer, which comes with an SPF?

I can say that since using a healthy after-shave balm (Pacific Northwest), I definitely can feel a huge difference in my face/skin. I'm wondering though, if these things are just for temporary cosmetic purposes (ie short-term looks for a few hours), or if it's also important for health. I'm currently reading the thread about a moisturizing mask at night, and that has some info, but thought I'd ask specifically about a daytime face moisturizer, and if it's worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Starflyte View Post
    Thanks!

Are any of those Japanese sunscreens available on Amazon by chance?
    I'm not from the US, some may well be, so have a look. Also, this website provides good reviews and a lot of information about Japanese sunscreens:

https://www.ratzillacosme.com/

Adambeauty is also a legit Asian seller and I've never had orders come late, though I do get customs charges sometimes:

http://www.adambeauty.com/index.php

My favourite so far is the Hada Labo sunscreen in the blue squeeze bottle, and Shiseido Senka in the yellow squeeze bottle but I have dry skin. If you want something for oilier skin, try Biore's Aqua Rich Watery Essence or Biore UV Perfect Face Milk.

Let's Dance

Thanks. Is "old-fashioned" rolled oats a fortified breakfast cereal?

So Cal is very sunny, in one hour you can can even get burnt. I would use sunscreen if you are exposed for more than 10 min. You don't need extremely high SPF. In fact, there's little difference in protection after SPF 30. Rather, make sure that you get protection both against UVA and UVB (also called broad protection)-not all sunscreens do that.

Pretty much all creams only give transitory benefit, nothing long run. Except sunscreen, that is, since sunscreen prevents sun damage and keeps the skin younger looking over the long run.

So in sum I'd say that if you don't want to spend the money on an expensive face cream, there's no need to do so. But do buy and use a broad spectrum SPF product (and don't forget your hands!). There are several inexpensive ones at regular drugstores. Just choose one that you like using (as others were saying-oily or not depending on your skin and taste).

I have not used Bulldog or Rugged and Dapper, so I don't know how they are.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks. Is "old-fashioned" rolled oats a fortified breakfast cereal?
    Good question. Have a look at the back of your box or bag, any added vitamins should be stated in the ingredients, or at least they are here in the UK. I think this mainly applies to processed cereals such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and such, not sure about rolled oats.

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So Cal is very sunny, in one hour you can can even get burnt. I would use sunscreen if you are exposed for more than 10 min. You don't need extremely high SPF. In fact, there's little difference in protection after SPF 30. Rather, make sure that you get protection both against UVA and UVB (also called broad protection)-not all sunscreens do that.

Pretty much all creams only give transitory benefit, nothing long run. Except sunscreen, that is, since sunscreen prevents sun damage and keeps the skin younger looking over the long run.

So in sum I'd say that if you don't want to spend the money on an expensive face cream, there's no need to do so. But do buy and use a broad spectrum SPF product (and don't forget your hands!). There are several inexpensive ones at regular drugstores. Just choose one that you like using (as others were saying-oily or not depending on your skin and taste).

I have not used Bulldog or Rugged and Dapper, so I don't know how they are.

cacio
    Good question. Have a look at the back of your box or bag, any added vitamins should be stated in the ingredients, or at least they are here in the UK. I think this mainly applies to processed cereals such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and such, not sure about rolled oats.
    Thanks, what do you have for breakfast?

(I used to have oats+blueberry, and plan to revert to that. Currently cereal + milk and sometimes a couple of eggs. And, black coffee.

How about this: oats+blueberry, a couple of eggs sunny side up + cappuccino? I don't like salt or sugar that much, I never add sugar to coffee or tea. I always use whole milk, never reduced fat. Healthy, I think?

Off topic: Just tried Iris de Nuit, it's gorgeous!)

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I'm a little skeptical of anything 'added', I think better to have more 'raw' food, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks, what do you have for breakfast?

(I used to have oats+blueberry, and plan to revert to that. Currently cereal + milk and sometimes a couple of eggs. And, black coffee.

How about this: oats+blueberry, a couple of eggs sunny side up + cappuccino? I don't like salt or sugar that much, I never add sugar to coffee or tea. I always use whole milk, never reduced fat. Healthy, I think?

Off topic: Just tried Iris de Nuit, it's gorgeous!)

Honestly I'm a little skeptical of anything 'added', I think better to have more 'raw' food, if you know what I mean.
    Not to derail the thread, but whilst I like a savoury or cooked breakfast (eggs benedict or poached eggs on toast... yum), I don't have the time to cook. I usually take a cereal with me to work (corn flakes, muesli, weetabix, granola or oats) and have it when I'm hungry. I also used to have smoothies - one small apple, lots of berries and oats or oat bran - which is healthy and filling.

As for the 'added' part, well, my attitude to that is that in this case, every little helps, even if the absorption rates aren't as good with added vitamins.

As for Iris de Nuit - wish they still sold Heeley where I am...!

Kiehl's Facial Fuel with SPF 15 is what I use when I know I will be spending time outdoors, otherwise I just use the regular Facial Fuel for an all around moisturizer.

Facial_Fuel_SPF_15_3700194723583_2.5fl.oz..jpg
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"
    Currently wearing: Acteur by Azzaro