Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

I tried it today. Seems to be a variant of Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanille. Softer, and less sweet, with some nice development. A good outing for Aramis, though not bottle worthy for me.

Tried Tobacco Reserve today at Macy's. At first, the scent was a very, very strong cigarette or maybe cigar tobacco-- not sweet or warm. The kind of smell you don't want to have on your clothes. It was way too forward, and one would have to stay indoors until something better happened. There was a mixed with a little citrus that was ok, but still borderline over-all offensive (especially to some highly scent-sensitive women). That doesn't last long, maybe an hour, and it goes to a nicer-milder slightly sweeter tobacco accord. Eventually, the unthinkable happens. and it dampens down to a whispery skin scent that is very gourmand, which I also didn't really like. I will try it a few more times, but so far not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Tried Tobacco Reserve today at Macy's.
    I did too wasn't a fan, had a bit of a bug killer spray vibe going on. The sales lady agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    I did too wasn't a fan, had a bit of a bug killer spray vibe going on. The sales lady agreed.
    Look at it this way. You'll either develop a love for it after awhile or it will be used as an expensive version of Raid.

I blind-bought this at TJ Maxx as part of my ongoing quest for the perfect tobacco scent (I'm looking at both high-end and low-end options), and at twentysomething bucks, it's proving to be a worthy pickup. I thought I might end up putting it on my cheapie swap list, but I could see this turning into a keeper.

This wears very differently on skin for me than it did on paper. I didn't like it much on paper, though coming back to the paper a day later I found that this had mellowed in a very pleasing way. Today, I'm trying it out on my skin. The longevity is seemingly impressive; it's already survived a shower with aggressive scrubbing. Sillage has seemed decent, but not "beast mode"; a spray to the chest didn't choke me the way some other fragrances do. It's not very heavy even if it's quite discernible, and I could see it wearing well in a wide variety of weather conditions.

This does have a very close-to-life "cigar smoke" accord that's especially strong in the opening. That accord stuck around pretty strongly (*too* strongly) on paper, but it dissipated a little more quickly on my skin. Once the opening fades, this becomes very pleasant; it's essentially a drier, simpler, more mature, more tobacco-forward version of L'Occitane's Eau des Baux. There's none of that particularly intense, cloying sweetness you get in Tobacco Vanille, so I don't think that's at all a helpful point of comparison. What sweetness is here comes from a mellow, powder-y, tonka that, in combination with the other notes here, could almost be mistaken for sandalwood.

I like it quite a bit and look forward to wearing it more, but--and this is important--I do like cigars. This does a particularly nice job of evoking that sort of dry tobacco leaf smell, nearly approximating a whiff you'd get from a box of cigars.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 16th April 2019 at 09:04 PM.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

This is at TJMaxx for $25 3.7oz if anyone isn’t looking to pay retail for this.

I do remember liking this but also feeling like it was a rehash in many ways, with one foot firmly planted in a late 90s "tonkabacco" vibe a la Dreamer or Bogart PH, the other in the Tobacco Vanille ballpark. Tempting though at the current bargain bin prices.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    I do remember liking this but also feeling like it was a rehash in many ways, with one foot firmly planted in a late 90s "tonkabacco" vibe a la Dreamer or Bogart PH, the other in the Tobacco Vanille ballpark. Tempting though at the current bargain bin prices.
    It does feel like a bit of a mashup of 90s and 00s fragrance DNA, though I can't say I've encountered anything else quite like it in texture. It's an offbeat release.

I am frankly puzzled by the Tobacco Vanille comparisons, which is the symbolic apex of the 00s sweet tobacco craze but doesn't really resemble this comparatively drier Aramis release at all. Eau des Baux feels like a better reference point to me.

Tobacco Reserve is easily worth the price tag, but it's a touch too mature to qualify as a contemporary crowd-pleaser.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 17th April 2019 at 05:39 PM.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Once the opening fades, this becomes very pleasant; it's essentially a drier, simpler, more mature, more tobacco-forward version of L'Occitane's Eau des Baux. There's none of that particularly intense, cloying sweetness you get in Tobacco Vanille, so I don't think that's at all a helpful point of comparison.
    This was a TJ Maxx/Marshalls pickup for me as well. I agree with you, the first fragrance that came to mind when I put my nose on this one was Eau des Baux, I'm giving it a full wear today and so far I'm impressed with it. It's a bargain at the TJ Maxx price of $24.99 for 110 ML.

Best Aramis release in a long time. And a great deal at $24.99!!
    Currently wearing: L'Insoumis by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    This was a TJ Maxx/Marshalls pickup for me as well. I agree with you, the first fragrance that came to mind when I put my nose on this one was Eau des Baux, I'm giving it a full wear today and so far I'm impressed with it. It's a bargain at the TJ Maxx price of $24.99 for 110 ML.
    Cheers. Glad to know I'm not nuts!

I'm really digging this release the more time I spend with it. I actually might prefer it to Eau des Baux overall; it's simpler in construction, but I like the stronger emphasis on tobacco. In addition, the individual notes in Tobacco Reserve feel a bit more natural in character than they do in EdB.

Autumn Favorites

Just received a bottle of this. I quite like it. Understated in a good way with some very pleasant complexity that leads to nice, realistic and pleasing tobacco dry down. Not the sweetened hay accord that I smell in TV and Herod and not the burnt tobacco accord I get in Tobacco Oud. Tobacco Reserve may very well become a hidden gem for tobacco frag lovers, especially for the price.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Wearing this today from a decant I purchased. While it's definitely nice, and nicer than most ambroxan laden crap that's out now, it's not completely original. Actually it's VERY similar to A*Men Pure Wood. Everything from the start to the dry down. Pure Wood dry down reminds me of Tobacco Vanille and so does this. I get a ton of sandalwood in the opening here, and not much tobacco at all, until the dry down. The combination of mostly woods, vanilla or perhaps it's tonka bean, and tobacco make for almost a carbon copy of Pure Wood. I'd say if you wanted Pure Wood and couldn't get it, this is your next best bet. Since I still have Pure Wood, I really have no need for this, at this moment.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

Tobacco Reserve doesn't really remind me of Tobacco Vanille much at all, so I'm not sure what to make of your remarks (I've never smelled Pure Wood).

Autumn Favorites

It does feel like a bit of a mashup of 90s and 00s fragrance DNA, though I can't say I've encountered anything else quite like it in texture. It's an offbeat release.

I am frankly puzzled by the Tobacco Vanille comparisons, which is the symbolic apex of the 00s sweet tobacco craze but doesn't really resemble this comparatively drier Aramis release at all. Eau des Baux feels like a better reference point to me.

Tobacco Reserve is easily worth the price tag, but it's a touch too mature to qualify as a contemporary crowd-pleaser.
    Wearing it today and I have to agree. Believe it or not, there is a similarity to PS by Paul Sebastian that comes in about 3-4 hours after application, an "oiliness", if you will. Still very pleasant, but also not very contemporary. Also a touch of the original Tommy Bahama for Men is here, but less woodsy.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I’m a big fan of Aramis. Modern Leather and Tobacco Reserve are both great. I bought the new Special Blend this week and Wow what a beautiful fragrance. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PJFourie View Post
    I’m a big fan of Aramis. Modern Leather and Tobacco Reserve are both great. I bought the new Special Blend this week and Wow what a beautiful fragrance. I love it!

I didn't know there was a new release!

Autumn Favorites

I didn't know there was a new release!
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26159416.html

No reviews on our site....hoping it's a more rounded out and deeper version of the original, I may actual seek that out!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Now Special Blend actually looks good, but will probably be redundant.

After wearing Tobacco Reserve more, I like it less and less. The opening smells like piss for a good while before it starts to become more wearable. The dry down just reminds me Tobacco Vanille, which I already have, only this doesn't last nearly as long, even on the watered down Tob Van renditions.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

https://www.escentual.com/aramis/aramisspecialblend003/

I'm not surprised so many here find the opening a bit challenging. It threw me at first, though I've come to like it, though I find it more dusty-ish, kinda like cigar bar air with a bit of greeness, rather than anything animalic.

I don't wear fragrances for compliments, but, for those who care, I actually got a compliment when wearing it today.

Autumn Favorites

Sampled Tobacco Reserve on a romantic getaway to London. Bought a bottle when I returned to the States. It’s a nice scent, wore it fairly frequently last winter. Forever burned into my memory as the scent of that vacation. Sigh. . .

I enjoy Aramis very very much I have alot of the collection going on and tabaccoo Reserve is one of the best of them, it's masculine , strong , not too sweet ..it projects very well and longitvity is also great , my wife loves it..smells way better then what they have out today smelling like a bottle of synthetic of fresh something.. Tabacoo Reserve is really just a scent either your gonna love it or hate it . It's really a scent that stands out in today's fragrance , I think Aramis Havana is also really good but TR is better then Havana

I agree Tobacco Reserve is a nice warm scent. It kinda reminds me of the scent of beedis...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Are any of the others in the Aramis family available in EDP formulation?
    Modern Leather

Overall, I think this is a pretty good tobacco scent (I wrote my more detailed thoughts in some other thread about this one). It smells very natural and while it has vanilla, it's more of a spiced accent than anything that turns it into a gourmand or away from being a tobacco-first fragrance. It really smells like genuine pipe tobacco to me, and at times like the tobacco in a fresh cigar.

My issue with Reserve comes down to performance. The first time I wore it it performed pretty well, and one small spray seemed to stick to my hand for a good 6 hours. But then when I actually wore it, I found that it settled in after about an hour and became fairly thin by the third hour, almost completely gone by the 5th. And I've had similar experiences with subsequent wearings. I basically get one hour of good performance followed by one mediocre hour and then two or three hours of poor performance.

Verdict: For $40--50 I think this is a very good tobacco scent. Aramis did a good job of capturing a fresh, natural smelling tobacco that tobacco lovers can really enjoy. At it's current retail price, which seems to hover around $70, the performance is a major drawback which keeps it from reaching the potential it shows in the first hour. I'll keep wearing this from time to time with hopes that the performance improves, and that maybe I was having an off day or something those times when it didn't last long, as it smells really nice and is an enjoyable experience while there.

If folks want something kinda in this vein that really lasts and projects, Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba is a good option. It's more expensive but is well worth the price.

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Overall, I think this is a pretty good tobacco scent (I wrote my more detailed thoughts in some other thread about this one). It smells very natural and while it has vanilla, it's more of a spiced accent than anything that turns it into a gourmand or away from being a tobacco-first fragrance. It really smells like genuine pipe tobacco to me, and at times like the tobacco in a fresh cigar.

My issue with Reserve comes down to performance. The first time I wore it it performed pretty well, and one small spray seemed to stick to my hand for a good 6 hours. But then when I actually wore it, I found that it settled in after about an hour and became fairly thin by the third hour, almost completely gone by the 5th. And I've had similar experiences with subsequent wearings. I basically get one hour of good performance followed by one mediocre hour and then two or three hours of poor performance.

Verdict: For $40--50 I think this is a very good tobacco scent. Aramis did a good job of capturing a fresh, natural smelling tobacco that tobacco lovers can really enjoy. At it's current retail price, which seems to hover around $70, the performance is a major drawback which keeps it from reaching the potential it shows in the first hour. I'll keep wearing this from time to time with hopes that the performance improves, and that maybe I was having an off day or something those times when it didn't last long, as it smells really nice and is an enjoyable experience while there.
    This stuff pops up at discounters for 20 to 25 bucks regularly so I'd say it's a great deal even though I agree with you on it's longevity issues.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    This stuff pops up at discounters for 20 to 25 bucks regularly so I'd say it's a great deal even though I agree with you on it's longevity issues.
    Cool. I didn’t know it was at discounters already. $25 is a bargain, blind buy no-brainer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast