Code of Conduct

Default A&F Fierce - Vintage vs 2017 - Review and conclusion

I always was a big fan of the fierce DNA, I think it just smells great and its very versatile.

Finally had the chance to buy a real vintage fierce from the mid 2000's and I pulled the trigger. The bottle is probably from 2005 or 2006, not sure.

Sooo... the smell.

New Fierce is drastically reformulated, without a doubt. I know because I can compare side by side.
    Someone on fragrantica said the reformulated Fierce has a metallic vibe, just like they mixed a bit of Dior Sauvauge in it, and I agree with it.
    They still smell like 80% similar, but the problem is, the missing 20% are exactly that what made Fierce a godlike scent.

I didnt only test them side by side, with left hand, right hand, I also wore them in real life situation to compare, what kind of wafts I get.

The vintage is just MAGICAL. I can understand why every highschool/college girl went crazy for this in the mid 2000s. It smells so incredibly sexy.
    The drydown is just a combo of ISO E Super, Oakmoss and Musk, but all very high quality and good smelling. Its so pleasant that I barely can describe it.
    The Vintage drydown actually reminds me of Molecule 01... you can smell there is really a heavy load of Iso E Super in it. 48%, to be precise.

The new fierce does not have it. It still has the same vibe and smells like fierce, but the magic is not there. Its hard to describe. ITS NOT THERE.
    Its like they sucked the soul out of fierce and only the shell remains with a hint of the original smell.

It is what it is. Fuck IFRA. They regulated ISO E Super, Oakmoss and some other stuff somewhere in 2009 or 2010 and that was basically the end of fierce.

CONCLUSION:

New Fierce is very clearly reformulated. Its not about sillage and longevity. The scent itself is just difference. The new fierce has a synthetic metallic vibe, the vintage smells smooth and woody. They are still 80% similar but the most important part what made Fierce so sucessful is missing. The vintage drydown smells godlike while the reformulated drydown smells just average.
    I would never buy the new fierce again, because its just not good enough anymore to spend that much money. I would rather get a vintage bottle from ebay or Montblanc Legend.
    I know there is Fierce Intense, but I have not tested it.

I also made some pics with my DSLR.

https://imgur.com/a/qgF6z81

Greetings

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A&F Fierce - Vintage vs 2017 - Review and conclusion

I remember smelling the Ambercrombie store before seeing it when this was used to scent the doorway
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

Silver Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I remember smelling the Ambercrombie store before seeing it when this was used to scent the doorway
    From what I have heard, they even sprayed the clothes in the store with the stuff.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    From what I have heard, they even sprayed the clothes in the store with the stuff.
    Pumped it through the air conditioning for maximum "Yeah, brah!"

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Didn't someone comment in a past thread (can't find it now) that they spray it into their ventilation ducts so that it spreads throughout their store?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Was it you who said this in a past thread?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Didn't someone comment in a past thread (can't find it now) that they spray it into their ventilation ducts so that it spreads throughout their store?

I do believe we've read the same thread as I most certainly peeped it on here and have never been in one of their stores before but the comment amused me nonetheless.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I do believe we've read the same thread as I most certainly peeped it on here and have never been in one of their stores before but the comment amused me nonetheless.
    Do they have stores in the UK?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Do they have stores in the UK?
    Indeed they do. The corporate colonizers are doing their very best to homogenize the entire planet and turn everywhere into anywhere, USA it seems.

I actually unearthed a vintage (2007) bottle of this from deep in a mess in my house a few months ago. I guess the juice inside is technically a banned substance. The opening is a crazy alcohol blast with some spicy oranges, and then it leads immediately into the iso-e super, oakmoss, and musk base and then lasts for over 24 hours. I'm lead to believe that it was stored very improperly because the heart notes are all missing and the top notes disappear within seconds. I haven't smelled recent formulations.

That base smells incredible though. It's stigmatized where I live though so everybody my age gets pissed off when they smell it, so its hard to wear. Still spray it on when I'm chilling at my house.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Fierce was basically the 2000's "Time to go B3astm0d3 Dud3br0" fragrance, if the zero bodyfat (and likely miserable) male model on the bottle was any indication. It was sprayed in ducts, on clothes, and dare I say Ambercrombie & Fitch competed with Lush Cosmetics for loudest-smelling store in the mall. I hated the stuff in my 20's, but part of me that loves pop culture nostalgia also wants a bottle too. Help. Save me.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: I'mperfect by Avon

I also have what probably is a "vintage" batch...Unfortunately, the scent is degraded.

In general, many scents have been reformulated. Even something like Acqua di Gio - If you get a bottle from the mid 2000's, it will smell a lot better than the current formulations out there. It's very unfortunate, but just the way things are.

I have an old 13ml spray bottle from the early 2000s about 2/3 full.
    Sniff it from time to time, never wear it. Prefer Dior Homme Eau.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Yes if there is a scent which captures the 2000s it would be this, you could smell it everywhere on Campuses. It is a very nice scent and girls LOVE it my mom adores it lol . Perhaps some mid tier brand in the UAE will do it because in that part of the world ( MeNA and South Asia) , people like strong projecting fragrances and over there nobody give a flying F**k about IFRA.

I used to work there for like 3 years in college, we sprayed the manikins several times a day with a super concentrated roomspray. It was not pumped into the ventilation.

The original Fierce had an Off-putting cumin note Couldn't wait for that initial 30 minute stage to pass. I personally love the current formulation and is what it should have been. Its the OG in this genre and still the best. NO. 2 would be Mont Blanc Legend, but I prefer Fierce.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by vd86 View Post
    I always was a big fan of the fierce DNA, I think it just smells great and its very versatile.

Finally had the chance to buy a real vintage fierce from the mid 2000's and I pulled the trigger. The bottle is probably from 2005 or 2006, not sure.

Sooo... the smell.

New Fierce is drastically reformulated, without a doubt. I know because I can compare side by side.
    Someone on fragrantica said the reformulated Fierce has a metallic vibe, just like they mixed a bit of Dior Sauvauge in it, and I agree with it.
    They still smell like 80% similar, but the problem is, the missing 20% are exactly that what made Fierce a godlike scent.

I didnt only test them side by side, with left hand, right hand, I also wore them in real life situation to compare, what kind of wafts I get.

The vintage is just MAGICAL. I can understand why every highschool/college girl went crazy for this in the mid 2000s. It smells so incredibly sexy.
    The drydown is just a combo of ISO E Super, Oakmoss and Musk, but all very high quality and good smelling. Its so pleasant that I barely can describe it.
    The Vintage drydown actually reminds me of Molecule 01... you can smell there is really a heavy load of Iso E Super in it. 48%, to be precise.

The new fierce does not have it. It still has the same vibe and smells like fierce, but the magic is not there. Its hard to describe. ITS NOT THERE.
    Its like they sucked the soul out of fierce and only the shell remains with a hint of the original smell.

It is what it is. Fuck IFRA. They regulated ISO E Super, Oakmoss and some other stuff somewhere in 2009 or 2010 and that was basically the end of fierce.

CONCLUSION:

New Fierce is very clearly reformulated. Its not about sillage and longevity. The scent itself is just difference. The new fierce has a synthetic metallic vibe, the vintage smells smooth and woody. They are still 80% similar but the most important part what made Fierce so sucessful is missing. The vintage drydown smells godlike while the reformulated drydown smells just average.
    I would never buy the new fierce again, because its just not good enough anymore to spend that much money. I would rather get a vintage bottle from ebay or Montblanc Legend.
    I know there is Fierce Intense, but I have not tested it.

I also made some pics with my DSLR.

https://imgur.com/a/qgF6z81

Greetings
    So the vintage is the small bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    I actually unearthed a vintage (2007) bottle of this from deep in a mess in my house a few months ago. I guess the juice inside is technically a banned substance. The opening is a crazy alcohol blast with some spicy oranges, and then it leads immediately into the iso-e super, oakmoss, and musk base and then lasts for over 24 hours..
    Bingo, you nailed it.
    Mine smells exactly the same. Very harsh alcohol/citrus/orange/spice opening but after 10-15 minutes its gone and there is only the base with iso, oakmoss, musk.
    One of the best drydowns I have ever smelled, and I tested approximately 300+ fragrances including many niche fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by eccj View Post
    So the vintage is the small bottle?
    Yes. The vintage Fierce had this red FIERCE lettering, the ones with the grey lettering are later, from like 2007-2010 or something, still with the silver cap and I believe still the original Juice.
    The reformulation was somewhere in 2010 or 2011.

check this post out:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/386...=1#post3812704

I bought mine in may 2010 with grey lettering, is there a chance that mine is reformulated version

If you have a silver cap you have the OG formula.
    If you have black cap, probably reformulated but not necessarily. The early black caps still have the OG formula, thats what I read.

yeah but there says wooden caps release in 2012, I have wooden cap since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by koletheman View Post
    yeah but there says wooden caps release in 2012, I have wooden cap since 2010
    interesting, I dont know about that.

Anyone here ever compare these to Al-Rehab For Men? It's supposed to be a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    Anyone here ever compare these to Al-Rehab For Men? It's supposed to be a clone.
    Yes, i have the 6ml oil roll-on. Its a fresh musky scent. There is some similarity but not more than 50-60%.

If youre looking for a cheap clone of fierce, IMHO Franck Olivier Sunrise and Montblanc Legend (not intense!) are the 2 best options, although none of them can really contest vintage fierce.

Unfortunately there is no real alternative on the market for vintage fierce with the divine drydown, because everything is banned/regulated now.