Code of Conduct

Default Rochas Moustache EdT concentree year discontinued?

This concentree can be purchased quite cheaply online, and I'm considering a blind buy. I really like old-school real oakmoss and would like to receive a bottle from the 90s if possible before any regulations kicked in. Were these bottles produced through the 2000's? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rochas Moustache EdT concentree year discontinued?

The Concentrée in the original gold caps ended with the (failed) 90's reform (along with Monsieur Rochas).

Problem is, Moustache is so urinous, so animalic, and thus so heavily dated (Roudnitska's first masculine), that the market will remain flooded with it for years. It's simply too polarizing in the 21st century and nobody wants it. I love the stuff and have it backed up.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I love the stuff
    As do I.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie allkindsofwatches1's Avatar

Something must be wrong with my nose or maybe I have the wrong stuff. This seems really weak to me. I've been trying to sell it for a while . Maybe I should give it another try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Concentrée in the original gold caps ended with the (failed) 90's reform (along with Monsieur Rochas).

Problem is, Moustache is so urinous, so animalic, and thus so heavily dated (Roudnitska's first masculine), that the market will remain flooded with it for years. It's simply too polarizing in the 21st century and nobody wants it. I love the stuff and have it backed up.
    Thanks for the input. I just bought a bottle from the gentleman above. It has the short ingredients list, so I'm assuming it has plenty of oakmoss and other now restricted ingredients in it. I really like animalics, so I'm looking forward to it. I wonder why people were so much more accepting of these challenging scents back in the day.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As do I.
    Question: After the lemon/lime calms down, and the civet finally bites it's tongue, letting the oakmoss base breath, do you get an ever-so-slight reminder of (original scent) Safeguard soap? The tan bar that probably nobody buys anymore, back when there was just the one kind. It's very slight, and I know Moustache predates Safeguard by several decades (the soap came out in 1971), but I want to know if it's just me that sees it. Again, this is at the very end, the skin scent level.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    Thanks for the input. I just bought a bottle from the gentleman above. It has the short ingredients list, so I'm assuming it has plenty of oakmoss and other now restricted ingredients in it. I really like animalics, so I'm looking forward to it. I wonder why people were so much more accepting of these challenging scents back in the day.
    It's because things go in cycles. Late Victorian age scents for guys were rosy and skanky until ferns/fougères took over up until WWII. Then dry, acrid, citrus and woods chypre scents came into vogue in the 50's, laced with animalics to make them skanky. This scent (Moustache) paved the way for that. By the 60's, jasmine hedione was softening chypres while fougères came back and were powdery like Brut and Wild Country at first, then gradually got soapier and more aromatic/cleaner, especially when Paco Rabanne came around. The dirty stuff came back again in the 80's with powerhouses like Kouros, Antaeus, Lapidus, Zino Davidoff, then the 90's brought clean in again with aquatics. Clean held on for 2 decades until oud/agarwood broke out in the late 2000's, which brought back the dirty.

Only difference is, dirty back then was animal glands and spices like cumin, while dirty of today is rotted wood, cured leather, and wilted flowers (Dior Leather Oud and Tom Ford Black Orchid for example). Civet has been synthesized so it may come back in fashion eventually.

Interesting thought, zealot. Never considered the cycle like that and how today’s dirty is just different. Maybe we will one day see a time where scents like moustache will be seen as desirable once again. Who knows.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by capt. carl View Post
    Interesting thought, zealot. Never considered the cycle like that and how today’s dirty is just different. Maybe we will one day see a time where scents like moustache will be seen as desirable once again. Who knows.
    More than likely as a niche scent where profit margin per bottle is higher. We'll never see mass produced perfume like this again because focus groups and accountants have strangled all the risk taking out of mainstream fragrance, just like film, pop music, and Triple A video games.

This quote had me pull out a long stored bottle of Concentree today and I still prefer it to Eau Sauvage, personally I think it is Roudnitska's best creation. Backed up same as you Zealot Crusader!
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coldmountain View Post
    This quote had me pull out a long stored bottle of Concentree today and I still prefer it to Eau Sauvage, personally I think it is Roudnitska's best creation. Backed up same as you Zealot Crusader!
    I still think the very end smells like original Safeguard soap.

Bump, I'm wearing Moustache today for the first time, and it smells to me roughly like half and half Eau d'Hermes and Eau Sauvage.

It's like Roudnitska liked the basic theme and expanded on the limey/fresh aspect of Moustache's opening in Eau Sauvage, and went hog wild expanding on the musky leathery-powder base with Eau d'Hermes.

I'm really enjoying it, and need to ask the generous member who sent the decant what era it's from.

For the OP: this article might be helpful. Sounds like the Concentree in the taller circular bottle is well-regarded relative to deeper vintage.
    https://www.nstperfume.com/2012/07/1...grance-review/
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Bump, I'm wear Moustache today for the first time, and it smells to me roughly like half and half Eau d'Hermes and Eau Sauvage.

It's like Roudnitska liked the basic theme and expanded on the limey/fresh aspect of Moustache's opening in Eau Sauvage, and went hog wild expanding on the musky leathery-powder base with Eau d'Hermes.

I'm really enjoying it, and need to ask the generous member who sent the decant what era it's from.

For the OP: this article might be helpful. Sounds like the Cencentree in the taller circular bottle is well-regarded relative to deeper vintage.
    https://www.nstperfume.com/2012/07/1...grance-review/
    I've actually read that years ago, and always wondered how he missed the pissy civet/lime combo note, which is Moustache's most notorious feature.

^Seems like the author interprets it more as honey and sweat branching from the citric opening...which makes some sense I suppose. That's a decent reference point for civet.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    The sample you're smelling is from the hockey-puck-cap bottle of EDT, which predates the concentree with the tall gold ribbed cap. Best guess: early '80s?

This one:

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The sample you're smelling is from the hockey-puck-cap bottle of EDT, which predates the concentree with the tall gold ribbed cap. Best guess: early '80s?

This one:

Concentrée was also 80's, so this might be older. Blue label is the eau de cologne version, and that didn't survive past the 60's.