Code of Conduct

Default Burberry destroys £10m of mainly perfume a year to protect image

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Burberry destroys £10m of mainly perfume a year to protect image

Appreciate your sharing the link.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What a world we live in....

I don't have qualms with them burning it. I understand. They want to remain exclusive.

Lest they turn up to be like Gucci recently:

But why announce it? That was uncouth.

It reminds me of this scene: lol

for swap/sale:

@oudaddict have you read the article? They destroyed £10m worth of perfume once after new deal with Coty.

Also @hedonist222 how do you know THEY (Burberry) announced it? I must have missed it.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Thank you for sharing/posting.

Especially if this keeps their business going and/or prospering even or especially for reasons more difficult or downright impossible to personally comment or even remotely understand, will still need some time to fully grasp the usefulness and the logics of such (apparently radical but possibly still somehow justifiable although difficultly explicable) decision.

This practice is not uncommon--Waterford used to break and melt down any seconds of their crystal stemware to avoid it being sold cheaply and damaging the brand. This is ironic, though, that Burberry destroyed stock that is presumably better to make way for Coty-produced stock..... The greatest irony, though, is that Burberry is the darling of discount shops anyway. For years they have been flooding Marshalls with it (fine with me as I happen to like London and can buy it cheaply). The brand is so démodé in my opinion that I can hardly bring myself to wear the few coats I have from them.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Burberry will likely introduce a niche-tier scent line with $200+ price tags, which is fine just so long as they do how Chanel, Dior, Guerlain and Tom Ford have done by still offering a standard line for the brand loyal.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Island Lime by Avon

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    The greatest irony, though, is that Burberry is the darling of discount shops anyway. For years they have been flooding Marshalls with it (fine with me as I happen to like London and can buy it cheaply). The brand is so démodé in my opinion that I can hardly bring myself to wear the few coats I have from them.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

I understand the whole "want to stay exclusive and expensive" brand image thing, which maybe in the bag market they still are, but I've long thought of Burberry as a "gray market only" perfume house, if I were to consider where to purchase. I mean, Mr. Burberry started showing up at TJ Maxx less than a year after it came out, maybe closer to 6 months.

And if they're only selling a little bit to discounters, why not sell it all? And that's not rhetorical or sarcastic, if someone with more business/branding sense than a rock (I'm the rock in this scenario) knows the answer, I am genuinely curious to hear musings. I've never been great at math, but I think you'd get better returns selling something as opposed to, presumably, paying someone else to light it on fire...I'm guessing they don't go the bonfire route in the parking lot of the warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking!

I understand the whole "want to stay exclusive and expensive" brand image thing, which maybe in the bag market they still are, but I've long thought of Burberry as a "gray market only" perfume house, if I were to consider where to purchase. I mean, Mr. Burberry started showing up at TJ Maxx less than a year after it came out, maybe closer to 6 months.

And if they're only selling a little bit to discounters, why not sell it all? And that's not rhetorical or sarcastic, if someone with more business/branding sense than a rock (I'm the rock in this scenario) knows the answer, I am genuinely curious to hear musings. I've never been great at math, but I think you'd get better returns selling something as opposed to, presumably, paying someone else to light it on fire...I'm guessing they don't go the bonfire route in the parking lot of the warehouse.
    I head they use Burberry clothing to keep Buckingham Palace's fireplaces burning. The fire brights in chess. I've told it's beautiful.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Bit too late for that! Here in the uk they are already known as the CHAVS fav brand!
    No one touches it with a barge pole anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    @oudaddict have you read the article? They destroyed £10m worth of perfume once after new deal with Coty.

Also @hedonist222 how do you know THEY (Burberry) announced it? I must have missed it.
    The link to them announcing it is in the first post of this thread.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The link to them announcing it is in the first post of this thread.
    I can only see the link to an article on the BBC website. I can see them (Burberry people) deliberately feeding this information to the journalists but can't really consider it an "announcement".
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Trust me.
    It's an announcement.
    Tier 2 type announcement.
    for swap/sale:

Trust me.
    It's an announcement.
    Tier 2 type announcement.
    I can really see it being so but I come back to my original question and ask again: how do YOU know that?

I can really see it being so but I come back to my original question and ask again: how do YOU know that?
    I apologize. I thought I was clear.
    Because BBC is not into espionage news. They receive their news officially. Burberry communicated this to BBC.
    for swap/sale:

I apologize. I thought I was clear.
    Because BBC is not into espionage news. They receive their news officially. Burberry communicated this to BBC.
    "They receive their news officially" What does that even mean?

It wasn't reported only in the BBC. BBC wasn't even the first to report it. Your argument is just invalid.

"They receive their news officially" What does that even mean?

It wasn't reported only in the BBC. BBC wasn't even the first to report it. Your argument is just invalid.
    lol
    for swap/sale:

lol
    If what I wrote wasn't clear to you for some reason don't hesitate to ask me anything and I'll try to explain it in more comprehensive manner.

Burberry communicated this to BBC.
    - this is false.