Code of Conduct

Default Fahrenheit reformulation response from Dior

I asked Dior on their reformulation practices of Fahrenheit and I received this response. Thought it might interest some too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Fahrenheit reformulation response from Dior

Wow, surprised they bothered with this long answer!

Whether it is true of course is a different matter.

cacio

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It's interesting that she said there was a major reformulation in 2011. I like how she describes the barrel note.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thank you for providing the letter.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I will say that smelling the petrol note in this stuff puts me over a barrel sometimes, and I like that.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Thanks for posting this. It’s crazy to think how many makers have their own ‘Fahrenheit barrels’ that get thrown out, to be forgotten to time, never to be experienced by another soul again.

Hats off to Dior for even bothering to answer! Doubt if you would have even got a response from Chanel,let alone a detailed one like that...

Yeah no problem!! I figured some others would like to hear what they had to say. I was very surprised to get such a detailed response as well. I was just sitting around thinking of driving back home to the US from Canada as a kid in the early 90’s, having just stopped at the duty free on the border when my uncle bought Fahrenheit. I fell in love with fragrances that day, specifically this scent. I couldn’t stop sniffing the nozzle the entire car ride home! It was amazing! And the fact that the scent matched the color of the bottle and the name of the fragrance so perfectly in my mind blew me away. I just started thinking about how many other people had a fragrance that was important to them, change over time to something different. It just gave me an urge to try and get a answer on this from Dior. That being said I’m not too disappointed in the latest version that is out now, but still was a bit curious on the matter.

Missing Oakmoss

What a nice, thoughtful reply!

Basenotes Plus

What's driving me nuts is the temperature thing. 18-20C?! Who keeps their houses that cold, man? I keep mine on a lower end at 71, and my gf may find that too cold at times. Growing up in a different house, it was basically a constant 74 or so. That's considered normal where I live. 68 would be, I guess, kind of unheard of around here.

A legit worry of mine is stuff spoiling, but I do basically the best I can in that I keep them in the dark/in their packages/in A/C. But 64 - 68 degrees constantly just isn't feasible nor reasonable where I live. Oh well.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

According to various sources, the tiny number written on the box at the end of the "formula" of each perfume could be used as a proof of the "variation" of the scent.
    MonsieurGuerlain wrote a very interesting article months ago, since Dior, Guerlain etc., are in the same big company.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    What's driving me nuts is the temperature thing. 18-20C?! Who keeps their houses that cold, man? I keep mine on a lower end at 71, and my gf may find that too cold at times. Growing up in a different house, it was basically a constant 74 or so. That's considered normal where I live. 68 would be, I guess, kind of unheard of around here.

A legit worry of mine is stuff spoiling, but I do basically the best I can in that I keep them in the dark/in their packages/in A/C. But 64 - 68 degrees constantly just isn't feasible nor reasonable where I live. Oh well.
    I totally get what you're saying. Still, it's only a recommendation. Here (in Denmark) most older houses have a 'cool-room', a room with no windows usually in the cellar or next to the kitchen, where you store canned goods/foods, beverages etc and in my case vintage fragrances (except the ones I currently use for a period of time). I know such rooms aren't common in all countries, and I've even heard of people in hotter surroundings using thermo-boxes set to a certain temperature for perfume-storing, and others just having them in a bathroom cabinet at higher temps with no problems.

/martin
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Yeah I’m not sure what most people keep their House at but mine is usually at 72F (22C). I just keep my frags in a closet that is always closed, but have really been contemplating buying a nice wine cooler soon. Also I agree that barrel note situation is fascinating if it really is true! Now that I think more about that May 2011 date, wasn’t DHI altered slightly around that time too? It seems right around 2011-2012 there were some major alterations to fragrances done, and not just Dior. The regulations really had an impact around that time. I wish I was aware of it beforehand so I could have stocked up on a few including Fahrenheit, DHI, Aventus and several others. Crazy stuff.... Loving the replies so far ppl.

Dependent

Wow, thanks for this letter!

I never knew that story about this change sunlight chemical reaction in an abandoned perfume barrel?!

That makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Fahrenheit is such a totally unique world unto itself, sometimes copied but it's too out there to have spawned a genre. That's because it was a random smell where they happened to have a spectrometer, after all...

Great stuff, I knew I'd seen that comment on Fahrenheit being a happy accident somewhere before but thought it was taken from that Dior coffee table book.

I do like it when companies are this honest and transparent.

That sounds like an honest response from Dior, most other companies’ responses are that they never reformulate even in cases that reformulations are like almost totally different from the original.
    In my opinion they are telling the truth, from personal experience I have go thru over 10 bottles of Fahrenheit over the years, and testing whatever is in stores few times a year and it was around 2011-2012 when testing in store I was like W. the F. do I smell vanilla?
    I am pretty sure up to that point the juice in the bottles between 1988 - 2011/2012 was never reformulated it was same as the first one.
    Currently I have:
    100 ml. of rare batch from 1987 this was the very first batches, made in 1987 and shipped to stores for launch in spring 1988.
    200 ml. from 2005
    50 ml. from 2006
    They all smell exactly the same, and I have confirmed that with few more people all 3 on paper smell the same and last the same.

IMG_2744.jpg
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Antaeus Sport Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

To me a good eyeball marker is the rounded cap and Christian Dior on the bottom of the bottle as those two always point toward the real deal.

Reformulated once in May 2011?. That's hard to believe.
    In his year 2008 Guide, Luca Turin describes Fahrenheit as "unrecognizable" from the original,
    not to mention all changes occurred since then (i.e after 2008)

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akragas View Post
    Reformulated once in May 2011?. That's hard to believe.
    In his year 2008 Guide, Luca Turin describes Fahrenheit as "unrecognizable" from the original,
    not to mention all changes occurred since then (i.e after 2008)
    There definitely have been tweaks over the years, but I think "unrecognizable" is more of an emotional response because I have samples of 1988 and 2011 productions, with the biggest noticeable change being the (slight) reduction of the "barrel note" in newer, plus reduced performance (but still acceptable). However, I will agree that deep vintage is nuclear strong gasoline and violet + leather.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    Currently I have:
    100 ml. of rare batch from 1987 this was the very first batches, made in 1987 and shipped to stores for launch in spring 1988.
    200 ml. from 2005
    50 ml. from 2006
    wow, lovely Peter! My earlier bottle is from '94

Quote Originally Posted by sproaty View Post
    wow, lovely Peter! My earlier bottle is from '94
    94 is nice, did you notice any differences between 94 with anything up until 2010/2011? i did not find any or if any it must be really small tweaks of the juice.
    i totally agreed with Palmolive: eyeball marker is the rounded cap and Christian Dior on the bottom of the bottle as those two always point toward the real deal.
    as long as you have any rounded cap and Christian Dior on the bottom you are all set with best version of Fahrenheit, not need to seek any super vintage edition.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Antaeus Sport Cologne
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

You do have to wonder though how many times these cries of "reformulation!" are just changes to the materials over time/temp changes/light changes, etc..