Code of Conduct

Default Filigree Parfums - for fans of 4AD bands: Cocteau Twins, The Pixies, This Mortal Coil, etc.

Is anyone familiar with Filigree Parfums? The line is inspired by the music of artists on the 4AD record label, most notably Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance, The Pixies, Lush, Lydia Lunch, etc.

Check them out here: https://www.filigreeandshadow.co/

I recently ordered a sample pack from them and would like to discuss with others who are familiar with the line or curious about it. I can't seem to find reviews anywhere.

Default Re: Filigree Parfums - for fans of 4AD bands: Cocteau Twins, The Pixies, This Mortal Coil, etc.

As a huge fan of many 4AD artists... I think this is very awesome. Very curious..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If not now, when?

Default Re: Filigree Parfums - for fans of 4AD bands: Cocteau Twins, The Pixies, This Mortal Coil, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by d.bishkoff View Post
    As a huge fan of many 4AD artists... I think this is very awesome. Very curious..
    Same here

Is this a UK brand?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Same here

Is this a UK brand?
    I believe they are based out of Seattle, WA in the US.

If anyone is interested, I'm open to trading some of my samples. I'm so curious to hear what others think about this line!

What a cool idea! I dug most of those bands in college, especially The Pixies.

Wow, they sure have a lot of fragrances. How many scents did you get in the sample pack? Did you get their all-natural ones or the ones that blend natural with aromachemicals?

Please do report back on what you find. I have always sought out all-natural frags, but unfortunately rarely find any that have worked for me. The problem is that all-natural frags tend to have much weaker sillage and longevity than those that mix natural and aromachemicals, or all aromachemicals. I appreciate the effort, but it's apparently quite difficult to make natural scents that last.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    What a cool idea! I dug most of those bands in college, especially The Pixies.

Wow, they sure have a lot of fragrances. How many scents did you get in the sample pack? Did you get their all-natural ones or the ones that blend natural with aromachemicals?

Please do report back on what you find. I have always sought out all-natural frags, but unfortunately rarely find any that have worked for me. The problem is that all-natural frags tend to have much weaker sillage and longevity than those that mix natural and aromachemicals, or all aromachemicals. I appreciate the effort, but it's apparently quite difficult to make natural scents that last.
    I'm a big fan of the 4AD roster, especially Cocteau Twins, so when I heard about this house I had to get some samples.

The sample pack comes with seven 1 ml fragrances (of your choice). I picked Aeon, Alioth, Aurelia, D.D. & E, Kiyoti, Lakme, and Surfer Rosa. I believe these ones are all from the all-natural collection.

I will do some more sniffing when I get home later on today and report back! I must admit though that because I am so new, I don't yet have the language to describe fragrances the way many of you can. This is part of the reason I posted this-- I want to know what the experienced noses have to say about Filigree!

Quote Originally Posted by neurotica View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 4AD roster, especially Cocteau Twins, so when I heard about this house I had to get some samples.

The sample pack comes with seven 1 ml fragrances (of your choice). I picked Aeon, Alioth, Aurelia, D.D. & E, Kiyoti, Lakme, and Surfer Rosa. I believe these ones are all from the all-natural collection.

I will do some more sniffing when I get home later on today and report back! I must admit though that because I am so new, I don't yet have the language to describe fragrances the way many of you can. This is part of the reason I posted this-- I want to know what the experienced noses have to say about Filigree!
    I would recommend not trying more then one scent at a time. Your nose can get overloaded, and also it will make it hard to distinguish the drydown.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

I would recommend not trying more then one scent at a time. Your nose can get overloaded, and also it will make it hard to distinguish the drydown.
    Good point. Please let me know if you ever get a chance to try Filigree; I'd love to know your thoughts! To be honest, I didn't like any of my samples. I was really disappointed because I loved the concept so much. I'm kind of hoping that I'm just missing something.

Interesting. 4AD was mostly Bauhaus for me (I dont see any mention of them) but as a Pixies fan/80's kid, I'm very curious to check these out and will be in Seattle for work next week.
    Currently wearing: Driftwood by Mirus

Quote Originally Posted by Chetopa View Post
    Interesting. 4AD was mostly Bauhaus for me (I dont see any mention of them) but as a Pixies fan/80's kid, I'm very curious to check these out and will be in Seattle for work next week.
    Check them out and let us know what you think!

Good point. Please let me know if you ever get a chance to try Filigree; I'd love to know your thoughts! To be honest, I didn't like any of my samples. I was really disappointed because I loved the concept so much. I'm kind of hoping that I'm just missing something.
    Don't second guess yourself! If you didn't like them, you didn't like them. Of course, your taste may evolve as you spend more time in the fragrance world, but no reason to doubt your taste. My own taste may not be as sophisticated as some or as subtle, and my nose surely isn't as refined, but I like what I like. There are writers on here who have such a poetic way of describing fragrance notes, it can be intimidating even to someone like myself who has written two novels. Because it's more than writerly skill, it's also about following the trail of your senses and connecting those responses to other fragrances and fragrance styles. I could never match that because my olfactory capabilities are blunted. But I enjoy learning about scents and exploring them above all else. I mean fuck it, enjoy what you enjoy.

What were the qualities that you didn't like about all the scents you tried? And how was the longevity and sillage of them?
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Don't second guess yourself! If you didn't like them, you didn't like them. Of course, your taste may evolve as you spend more time in the fragrance world, but no reason to doubt your taste. My own taste may not be as sophisticated as some or as subtle, and my nose surely isn't as refined, but I like what I like. There are writers on here who have such a poetic way of describing fragrance notes, it can be intimidating even to someone like myself who has written two novels. Because it's more than writerly skill, it's also about following the trail of your senses and connecting those responses to other fragrances and fragrance styles. I could never match that because my olfactory capabilities are blunted. But I enjoy learning about scents and exploring them above all else. I mean fuck it, enjoy what you enjoy.

What were the qualities that you didn't like about all the scents you tried? And how was the longevity and sillage of them?
    Longevity and sillage were not great. After a couple hours I could barely smell any scent on my skin. And the scent stayed very close to the skin the whole time.

All seven of the samples smelled very similar to me (again, could be my inexperienced nose). Very warm, spice-y, thick and heavy. Very masculine. I'll have to test them again to give you more specific info.

Basenotes Plus

Love Pixies, so I will probably check out this line. (BTW has anyone tried the fragrance "Debaser" by D.S. & Durga? Inspired by the song).
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Rêve en Cuir by Indult

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    Love Pixies, so I will probably check out this line. (BTW has anyone tried the fragrance "Debaser" by D.S. & Durga? Inspired by the song).
    I have tried Debaser. At first I thought I loved it, but after a few more tries I realized it wasn't for me. Not a fan of the creaminess. Do you like Debaser?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    Hah, how funny! I've tried a few DS & Durga's but not Debaser.

Longevity and sillage were not great. After a couple hours I could barely smell any scent on my skin. And the scent stayed very close to the skin the whole time.

All seven of the samples smelled very similar to me (again, could be my inexperienced nose). Very warm, spice-y, thick and heavy. Very masculine. I'll have to test them again to give you more specific info.
    As much as I wish this were not the case, this is a common issue with all-natural fragrances. Certain aromachemicals (in conjunction with other aromachemicals or naturals) are what allow fragrances to have greater sillage and longevity. This isn't 100% true, but generally it's a struggle for naturals to achieve potency. For example, true ambergris tincture or certain highly condensed naturals are quite potent. But ingredients such as those are rarely used. The more common "essential oil" type ingredients are weak by comparison.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Hah, how funny! I've tried a few DS & Durga's but not Debaser.

As much as I wish this were not the case, this is a common issue with all-natural fragrances. Certain aromachemicals (in conjunction with other aromachemicals or naturals) are what allow fragrances to have greater sillage and longevity. This isn't 100% true, but generally it's a struggle for naturals to achieve potency. For example, true ambergris tincture or certain highly condensed naturals are quite potent. But ingredients such as those are rarely used. The more common "essential oil" type ingredients are weak by comparison.
    Are there any notable exceptions to this? Do you have any all-natural favorites?

Are there any notable exceptions to this? Do you have any all-natural favorites?
    I've tried the entire line of April Aromatics. Didn't like them but some do, certainly. Didn't think they had much longevity but worth a try. Hiram Green is all-natural and does better with longevity, but I was not a fan of the two that I have tried. There is a cheapie that I used to get from Whole Foods called Dusk by Herban Cowboy...it also does not have great strength, but I love the scent. I actually make my own deodorant spray using it. Cheap vodka + Dusk...lol. The alcohol kills bacteria naturally and the fragrance is nice and all natural...And not so strong that it will interfere with whatever cologne that I wear that day.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

I've tried the entire line of April Aromatics. Didn't like them but some do, certainly. Didn't think they had much longevity but worth a try. Hiram Green is all-natural and does better with longevity, but I was not a fan of the two that I have tried. There is a cheapie that I used to get from Whole Foods called Dusk by Herban Cowboy...it also does not have great strength, but I love the scent. I actually make my own deodorant spray using it. Cheap vodka + Dusk...lol. The alcohol kills bacteria naturally and the fragrance is nice and all natural...And not so strong that it will interfere with whatever cologne that I wear that day.
    Wow... making your own deodorant! That's impressive.

I've been curious about April Aromatics but I think I'll hold off for now. Even the samples are slightly more expensive. Some of them sound really good though.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Watching with interest! One of the scents (Unequal) was an award winner for 2017 at Ca Fleure Bon. Big white floral.

https://www.filigreeandshadow.co/col...oducts/unequal

http://www.cafleurebon.com/filigree-...-florist-draw/

Art frags for sure!!!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Mr. Burberry by Burberry

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Watching with interest! One of the scents (Unequal) was an award winner for 2017 at Ca Fleure Bon. Big white floral.

https://www.filigreeandshadow.co/col...oducts/unequal

http://www.cafleurebon.com/filigree-...-florist-draw/

Art frags for sure!!!
    Let us know if you get a chance to try any of them!

Wow... making your own deodorant! That's impressive.

I've been curious about April Aromatics but I think I'll hold off for now. Even the samples are slightly more expensive. Some of them sound really good though.
    Hah thanks. I don't know if it's impressive, but it keeps me from drinking all the vodka. And it actually works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy