Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Question Working with Cardamom essential oil

    Hi everyone,

    I'm wondering what percentage of Cardamom EO you typically would try in a formula; I have read "a small amount" and vague descriptions, but how small exactly (0.05, 0.1, 1%)?

    I've found it sort of tricky to balance in some of my formulas. I've got it at 0.2% and it still sticks out pretty loudly in the top (there aren't many other high impact top notes, though).

    I'm actually working on another fragrance based off a GCMS and the alpha terpinyl acetate* (originally typo'd terpineol) content there would require around 1% cardamom and that just seems way too high to be from an essential oil. I'm planning on adding terpinyl acetate separately, but I wish I could find a US supplier that has a naturally derived (from Cardamom) product. Hermitage stocks it, I may just have to order from them.
    Last edited by runstile; 9th August 2018 at 03:31 PM.


  2. #2
    Basenotes Junkie mattmeleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    695

    Default Re: Working with Cardamom essential oil

    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I'm wondering what percentage of Cardamom EO you typically would try in a formula; I have read "a small amount" and vague descriptions, but how small exactly (0.05, 0.1, 1%)?

    I've found it sort of tricky to balance in some of my formulas. I've got it at 0.2% and it still sticks out pretty loudly in the top (there aren't many other high impact top notes, though).

    I'm actually working on another fragrance based off a GCMS and the alpha terpineol content there would require around 1% cardamom and that just seems way too high to be from an essential oil. I'm planning on adding alpha terpineol separately, but I wish I could find a US supplier that has a naturally derived (from Cardamom) product. Hermitage stocks it, I may just have to order from them.

    I think John Steele could help you out with a substitute material?
    ...also, ageing the perfume brings down the loud top notes, no?

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    pkiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,664

    Default Re: Working with Cardamom essential oil

    Your balancing depends upon what you surround it with... Use the force, Luke...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Working with Cardamom essential oil

    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Your balancing depends upon what you surround it with... Use the force, Luke...
    The force I will use... lol #sniffsniff

    @matt I have noticed aging (at least 24 hours before evaluating) really helps with tempering the bombastic effect of the cardamom.

    I will also use TGSC for possible blenders w/ cardamom. I've got lavender, bergamot, and mandarin in the top. Perhaps I'll dose it 1% and see what happens.

    Side note - has anyone else noticed TGSC implementing formatting changes in their page design? My text is appearing much larger and categories are moved... not in a good way.


  5. #5

    Default Re: Working with Cardamom essential oil

    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    has anyone else noticed TGSC implementing formatting changes in their page design? My text is appearing much larger and categories are moved... not in a good way.
    I've noticed. Agree with you—will take some getting used to as with any kind of change.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Working with Cardamom essential oil

    i super love the cardamom fleuresscence from PW, i find it's way less medicinal and much warmer and easier to use. i use it so much

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th June 2018, 01:03 PM
  2. Cardamom
    By Asha in forum Note Pad: Single Note Exploration
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th June 2017, 10:02 AM
  3. Cardamom essential oil
    By Argane in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23rd April 2010, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000